Jump to content

Does anybody feel good about our starting O Tackles?


Nixhead

Recommended Posts

Shell and Beachum? Beachum was the 48th best OT according to PFF. So there was 47 tackles better than him. Shell was the 56th best Tackle and he was injured at the end of the season. Face it these guys sukkk! Jets can't go into next season thinking playoffs and have these 2 bozos as our starting tackles. Can we get 2 new tackles - very doubtful but we should be able to get one and have either Shell or Beachum playing the other spot - whoever is playing better. Gee we also could use a center. Its not like they grow on trees. How we missed out on Paradis I don't know. Its not like he got some super big contract. Mac got us a guard but he's got a lot more work to do on this O Line and I honestly don't trust that he will get any of it done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're 2 solid starters who we're not paying much to man those positions. There are infinitely better things to complain about. 

There was no one in FA this year that could have given you a major upgrade over either (Brown was never coming here), so we all have to deal. 

That said, they need to hit it hard in the draft this year. As it stands, we need a starter at center, future placeholders for Winters/Osemele, and at the very least, a guy waiting in the wings to take over for Beachem. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definition of average. One day they can find a better long term option at those spots in the draft, until then we can live with them on their fair deals.

We can do better than these two be we could also absolutely do worse than these two. I sure as hell don't feel like cutting them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

no doubt the jets still need some oline help but the acquisition of bell and crowder should help keep the defenses honest so they won't be able to stack the box.  darnold will need to learn how to get rid of the ball faster.  those things could actually make this oline group look pretty good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mac refuses to draft Olineman. And won’t pay for the good FA Olineman. Maybe our next gm next yr will 

We all know who he's drafted.  How many threads have you repeated this in?  We all know.  

Heres more bad news for you,  There's not a chance in hell hes not the GM next year.  None. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets are in a quandary.  

They need C, 1-2 OT, EDGE and CB, now.  

The draft can give them one of these 3-4 players to start, maybe a C/RT in RD 3.   At this point FA can fill CB still.  

That is 4-5 real holes, but only 2-3 picks that can stand a decent chance of filling them.  

That is why Mac should be thinking long and hard about whether Bosa or Allen could be that elusive EDGE to forego drafting a T or trading down to draft and T and C.  

I think if you are building a team long term you take the EDGE and do your best with the OL you have.  

But if you want to do better now, or at least develop and protect your QB, you trade down and stock up on OL.  

What will Mac do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We all know who he's drafted.  How many threads have you repeated this in?  We all know.  

Heres more bad news for you,  There's not a chance in hell hes not the GM next year.  None. 

Haha ! Says your opinion . Which does not Carry any weight in the “ real world “ this is reality - if our 13 mil rb has no where to run, if our prize qb is hit often and doesn’t have time to throw, mac is gone. Not a chance he stays, none ?‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do I feel good about them?  Not really. Will I lose my mind if  we go into the season with them as the starters?  No.  Here's why.

  Firstly, there was no clear upgrade on the market, or starter ready, left tackle in the draft.  Trent Brown got an enormous contract that I'm confident he will not live up to.  Jonah Williams is being projected as a guard in the NFL and is not a starting Left Tackle at the next level, at least as a rookie. There is no other prospect in the draft at Left Tackle that is regarded as a day 1 starter.  Simply put this year there is no clear cut upgrade over Beachum out there.

I was high on Shell prior to this year.  He was solid and showed growth at the position every season.  This year he seemed to regress.  In fact the whole line seemed to be worse than previous years.  For every member of the offensive line to get worse in a single season cannot be a mere coincidence.  It is more likely a product of poor schemes, coaching, and play calling.  For that reason I'm willing to see what happens this year.  We have a new highly regarded Offensive Line Coach. His season ending injury will not  be an issue. Again where is there an obvious upgrade in free agency? 

Draft heir apparent players and depth substitutes. If a salary dump victim is deemed worthy as an upgrade, by all means pursue them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is very concerning. Right now our line looks like this: 

LT Beachum, LG Kelechi *, C Harrison, RG Winters, RT Shell ? 

4 Jags and a former all pro coming off an injury. We have 3 ‘top picks’ , a #1 and two 3’s. Of those 3 picks, we desperately need upgrades at edge rusher, center, RT, LT, CB, DT. Macc’s philosophy has been BPA. So either Bosa, Williams or Allen will be a Jet. Be great to trade back and pick up a couple 2’s and a player to fill those needs.  Macc can’t stop here! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Shell and Beachum? Beachum was the 48th best OT according to PFF. So there was 47 tackles better than him. Shell was the 56th best Tackle and he was injured at the end of the season. Face it these guys sukkk! Jets can't go into next season thinking playoffs and have these 2 bozos as our starting tackles. Can we get 2 new tackles - very doubtful but we should be able to get one and have either Shell or Beachum playing the other spot - whoever is playing better. Gee we also could use a center. Its not like they grow on trees. How we missed out on Paradis I don't know. Its not like he got some super big contract. Mac got us a guard but he's got a lot more work to do on this O Line and I honestly don't trust that he will get any of it done.

Enough with the Paradis junk... He stated numerous times that he wanted to live in the country and not in a big city... That is why he never was coming to NY... It's widely reported everywhere... Jets pulled their offer because Gary told the jets he wasn't coming to the city... Hence it takes 2 to tango tweet... Just stop with this sh*t... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Kelechi is making 10 million. That’s not chump change. 

That is true. Although it is pretty standard ave salary for a decent OL. More then 27 Olineman make at least that. Keep in mind we basically got him for nothing. Moved up a late round. When other teams, not mac,  actually draft solid OL in the early rounds, they can cut loose the average ones, ones older, injury issues. We had a good  core of solid young Olineman in dbrick and mangold, rounded out with pricey solid vets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

This is very concerning. Right now our line looks like this: 

LT Beachum, LG Kelechi *, C Harrison, RG Winters, RT Shell ? 

4 Jags and a former all pro coming off an injury. We have 3 ‘top picks’ , a #1 and two 3’s. Of those 3 picks, we desperately need upgrades at edge rusher, center, RT, LT, CB, DT. Macc’s philosophy has been BPA. So either Bosa, Williams or Allen will be a Jet. Be great to trade back and pick up a couple 2’s and a player to fill those needs.  Macc can’t stop here! 

Yep looks like a Mac OL alright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Shell and Beachum? Beachum was the 48th best OT according to PFF. So there was 47 tackles better than him. Shell was the 56th best Tackle and he was injured at the end of the season. Face it these guys sukkk! Jets can't go into next season thinking playoffs and have these 2 bozos as our starting tackles. Can we get 2 new tackles - very doubtful but we should be able to get one and have either Shell or Beachum playing the other spot - whoever is playing better. Gee we also could use a center. Its not like they grow on trees. How we missed out on Paradis I don't know. Its not like he got some super big contract. Mac got us a guard but he's got a lot more work to do on this O Line and I honestly don't trust that he will get any of it done.

I’m hoping we draft Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We all know who he's drafted.  How many threads have you repeated this in?  We all know.  

Heres more bad news for you,  There's not a chance in hell hes not the GM next year.  None. 

That is bad news for Mac detractors.  It’s hard to fire the guy that drafted The first franchise quarterback in our lifetimes, and then followed it up with a possible HOF safety and has a history of great low risk high reward trades.

Mac has earned his keep...barely, but he’s actually improving. This is a BIG draft for him.

 

and yes we need some tackles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That is true. Although it is pretty standard ave salary for a decent OL. More then 27 Olineman make at least that. Keep in mind we basically got him for nothing. Moved up a late round. When other teams, not mac,  actually draft solid OL in the early rounds, they can cut loose the average ones, ones older, injury issues. We had a good  core of solid young Olineman in dbrick and mangold, rounded out with pricey solid vets.  

Which is why we MUST trade back and get a couple two’s and possibly a player in the trade. There some good edge guys that can be had in the top 15. Or with the extra pick we can grab one of the elite OL with that first pick or the 2nd rounder we’d get. Macc has got to abandon his bull do do BPA philosophy and protect Sam at all costs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...