Jump to content
Philc1

So when do the jets sign Justin Houston?

Recommended Posts

So far it’s been a good offseason.  I like all the moves the jets have made.  Barr did us a favor.  I was opposed to signing Bell but his contract is reasonable.  Mosely is the leader on defense we haven’t had since the Rex days.  Just one thing left: EDGE

 

and the jets need two edge rushers not just one.  If you want to setup Bosa or Allen for success line them up opposite this guy:

 

 

809BE9AE-8106-4179-AF82-083D9E3EB86C.jpeg

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t seen word the camps are even talking. I’m all for it though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

More than one thing remains we still need 2 corners and a center pretty bad

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Harrison is starting at Center next season

 

Roby and Desir both signed

 

If we sign Houston and draft Allen our pass rush would be so good we could make mediocre corners look good

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we sign him tonight..that probably won’t happen so hopefully tomorrow. This would make the sting go away if we can get Houston on board.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are Houston priorities? Money, winning or location? I know this is a guy the Pats would target to not lose a compensatory pick. His play has definitely fallen off so don't be stuck on the name brand. I'm ok with giving him two years. Is $10 mil good enough? Since we sre the Jets $11?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Harrison is starting at Center next season

 

Roby and Desir both signed

 

If we sign Houston and draft Allen our pass rush would be so good we could make mediocre corners look good

 

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a 14 million dollar/year  investment we are talking about here.  For a 30 year old edge rusher who isn't getting better.  Still has plenty left in the tank,  but the cost seems prohibitive. Spending this kind of money at this juncture in free agency would take a high ticket slot, corner, receiver and offensive lineman out of the loop.

We currently have Hewitt, Luvu, Lee, and Jenkins to use in those capacities for blitzing schemes. And  the safeties. Yes, I know that Jenkins plays the other side, and those choices aren't the "sexy name" that Houston brings. Williams is known for bringing pressure from everywhere with everybody, that's why I mention this.  I like him and would love to have him here, but this might be a little bit of overkill, considering the contingent of fans here who want edge rush in the draft.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point you make about needing two edge rushers is spot on and points to Macc’s biggest failure this offseason IMO. Losing Barr stung but it was made worse by both Smiths agreeing with the Packers.

Thought the Jets should’ve gone after Barr and one of those two (ideally ZaDarius). Would’ve made Barr backing out sting a little less.

Houston would be good, Ansah would be fine too. Would like one or the other, Barrett from Denver, and a draft pick somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Harrison is starting at Center next season

 

Roby and Desir both signed

 

If we sign Houston and draft Allen our pass rush would be so good we could make mediocre corners look good

 

Ok, enough! That's two consecutive positive posts in one thread. Who is this, and what have you done to Phil??

No way this is him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is a 14 million dollar/year  investment we are talking about here.  For a 30 year old edge rusher who isn't getting better.  Still has plenty left in the tank,  but the cost seems prohibitive. Spending this kind of money at this juncture in free agency would take a high ticket slot, corner, receiver and offensive lineman out of the loop.

We currently have Hewitt, Luvu, Lee, and Jenkins to use in those capacities for blitzing schemes. And  the safeties. Yes, I know that Jenkins plays the other side, and those choices aren't the "sexy name" that Houston brings. Williams is known for bringing pressure from everywhere with everybody, that's why I mention this.  I like him and would love to have him here, but this might be a little bit of overkill, considering the contingent of fans here who want edge rush in the draft.

Live a little Joe!

As exciting as Lee, Luvu and Jenkins sound, I'd spring for Houston. Hell, then I'd take Allen at 3 after that. Word on the street is we're allowed to have two guys that rush the passer. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Live a little Joe!

As exciting as Lee, Luvu and Jenkins sound, I'd spring for Houston. Hell, then I'd take Allen at 3 after that. Word on the street is we're allowed to have two guys that rush the passer. 

If they don't take Q Williams,[ who I want, but they won't take, or who won't be there], they will have Bosa or Allen there for them.  Would like to trade back, but that won't happen either, unless someone comes up for Haskins.  Giants will wait for him at #6, so no trade there. I see Houston as overkill, especially if you draft and edge rusher, the money is best spent elsewhere at this point.  A friend of mine on another thread was lamenting about the holes that need filling.  I think he's right.  The money spent on Houston could be well spent on filling three of those holes, don't you think, friend??

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If they don't take Q Williams,[ who I want, but they won't take, or who won't be there], they will have Bosa or Allen there for them.  Would like to trade back, but that won't happen either, unless someone comes up for Haskins.  Giants will wait for him at #6, so no trade there. I see Houston as overkill, especially if you draft and edge rusher, the money is best spent elsewhere at this point.  A friend of mine on another thread was lamenting about the holes that need filling.  I think he's right.  The money spent on Houston could be well spent on filling three of those holes, don't you think, friend??

You have smart friends. 

I think this is such a priority position nowadays, (god, I almost said “in today’s NFL”.) that yes, in all seriousness I’d get at least two if I could.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously. Pay this man and another OLB so we can trade back and really upgrade the team on Draft night (or sign some OLs and stay put for an OLB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is a 14 million dollar/year  investment we are talking about here.  For a 30 year old edge rusher who isn't getting better.  Still has plenty left in the tank,  but the cost seems prohibitive. Spending this kind of money at this juncture in free agency would take a high ticket slot, corner, receiver and offensive lineman out of the loop.

We currently have Hewitt, Luvu, Lee, and Jenkins to use in those capacities for blitzing schemes. And  the safeties. Yes, I know that Jenkins plays the other side, and those choices aren't the "sexy name" that Houston brings. Williams is known for bringing pressure from everywhere with everybody, that's why I mention this.  I like him and would love to have him here, but this might be a little bit of overkill, considering the contingent of fans here who want edge rush in the draft.

14 is too much for a part timer

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So far it’s been a good offseason.  I like all the moves the jets have made.  Barr did us a favor.  I was opposed to signing Bell but his contract is reasonable.  Mosely is the leader on defense we haven’t had since the Rex days.  Just one thing left: EDGE

 

and the jets need two edge rushers not just one.  If you want to setup Bosa or Allen for success line them up opposite this guy:

 

 

809BE9AE-8106-4179-AF82-083D9E3EB86C.jpeg

Two edge rushers. Good post. Barr at UCLA played alot as a DE. I think Williams would have have used him that way, alot. What about the other side in a 4-3. So yea, to play a 4-3 in Williams defense, we need two ends, that are always attacking up field. Thats why they paid Mosley all that money. Williams wants to run a 4-3 alot and Mosley is the perfect MLB.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

14 is too much for a part timer

not when you have Sam and Adams on rookie deals for the next 3 years...throw 2 years at Houston and call it a day. Do you think we'd pay Mosley 17m if we didnt have rookie deals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Harrison is starting at Center next season

 

Roby and Desir both signed

 

If we sign Houston and draft Allen our pass rush would be so good we could make mediocre corners look good

 

Sutton or Winters will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

What are Houston priorities? Money, winning or location? I know this is a guy the Pats would target to not lose a compensatory pick. His play has definitely fallen off so don't be stuck on the name brand. I'm ok with giving him two years. Is $10 mil good enough? Since we sre the Jets $11?

Obviously the guy wants to win but this is also the last big contract of his career and life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, genot said:

Two edge rushers. Good post. Barr at UCLA played alot as a DE. I think Williams would have have used him that way, alot. What about the other side in a 4-3. So yea, to play a 4-3 in Williams defense, we need two ends, that are always attacking up field. Thats why they paid Mosley all that money. Williams wants to run a 4-3 alot and Mosley is the perfect MLB.

I still think the jets stick with 3-4 base.  Allen is a natural 3-4 OLB

 

Jets should cut Lee and promote Hewitt to starting ILB opposite CJ Mosely.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Philc1 said:

I still think the jets stick with 3-4 base.  Allen is a natural 3-4 OLB

 

Jets should cut Lee and promote Hewitt to starting ILB opposite CJ Mosely.  

It might not be Allen. You could justify the Jets taking Sweat, Ferrill, or Gary there.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, genot said:

It might not be Allen. You could justify the Jets taking Sweat, Ferrill, or Gary there.

Sweat is even more of a OLB than Allen

 

ferrell scares me a little I’m worried he becomes a poor man’s Shaun Ellis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, genot said:

It might not be Allen. You could justify the Jets taking Sweat, Ferrill, or Gary there.

no... you REALLY can't.  😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jetsons said:

no... you REALLY can't.  😑

You can't. I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Bosa and Houston teabag Tom Brady for 4 quarters would give me purpose in life again 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I still think the jets stick with 3-4 base.  Allen is a natural 3-4 OLB

 

Jets should cut Lee and promote Hewitt to starting ILB opposite CJ Mosely.  

Aren’t you forgetting about our Avery Williamson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

not when you have Sam and Adams on rookie deals for the next 3 years...throw 2 years at Houston and call it a day. Do you think we'd pay Mosley 17m if we didnt have rookie deals?

I actually want Houston.   I think he has some tread on his tire.  But I was thinking 10 or maybe 11.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is a 14 million dollar/year  investment we are talking about here.  For a 30 year old edge rusher who isn't getting better.  Still has plenty left in the tank,  but the cost seems prohibitive. Spending this kind of money at this juncture in free agency would take a high ticket slot, corner, receiver and offensive lineman out of the loop.

We currently have Hewitt, Luvu, Lee, and Jenkins to use in those capacities for blitzing schemes. And  the safeties. Yes, I know that Jenkins plays the other side, and those choices aren't the "sexy name" that Houston brings. Williams is known for bringing pressure from everywhere with everybody, that's why I mention this.  I like him and would love to have him here, but this might be a little bit of overkill, considering the contingent of fans here who want edge rush in the draft.

Barr...but that's water under the bridge.😆

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 7:35 AM, Creepy Lurker said:

Aren’t you forgetting about our Avery Williamson?

No he belongs on the bench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 7:35 AM, Creepy Lurker said:

Aren’t you forgetting about our Avery Williamson?

Williamson is a cut below Mosley.  Mosley finds the ball, as well.  Williamson basically tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×