My Top Cornerbacks In The 2019 NFL Draft

Tony The Wiz

The Cornerback position has become one of the most important positions in football. The passing game has been so much more relevant than ever. Back in the day it was the running game and I remember a NY Giant game where they ran 15 straight running plays. This was the way Bill Parcell coached. That will never happen in todays game. Now  you have 3rd and less than 2 and half the time the team is throwing to make the first down. That was basically unheard 35 years ago. So finding a gem at this position is so valuable. Now I have been evalating players and I remember 2 players the Jets drafted and I heard hell from some of you Jet fans. Those two cornerbacks, a first and a 2nd round pick was Dee Milner and Dexter McDougle. I was on the mark on both of them. I never like Milner with Alabama because he had so many injuries before his senior year at Alabama. An McDougle was injured the whole year when he was picked 2nd by the Jets. So hopefully if we go into the draft and pick one we could go get one. Now this year was not great year on Cornerbacks. But we do have a half dozen or so really good ones but the best are late 1st rounders. So here we Go. The Combine I really needed to see their speed and techique and if you watched it the Cornerbacks as a whole was either not good or just fair.   Look all year I had my number 1 but I had reservations about him watching his Combine. And that was Greedy Williams. Now he has the speed and his height is excellent but something is wrong with his personality and his technique, Now look you can't coach speed but you can coach technique. But there was one player that just passed him as the number 1 CB.

1. BRYON MURPHY - WASHINGTON - Now his speed was the only thing not going for him. But all year he has the knack of making the big play. If he would of ran a 4.6 and under he would of moved in the mid 1st round. But he has put on some weight and some of that speed got affect. He has got nice height in 5:11 and great hands. He also was a great receiver in High School. He is athletic with a Vertical of 36.5 and a long jump of 120 so we know he is faster than a 4:55. He had 4 interceptions this year. His instinct is his high quality.  So I see him getting a Late 1st Round to Early 2nd Round Grade.  But if he runs a fast 40 at his pro day he moves up. 

2. ANDRAEZ  "GREEDY"  WILLIAMS - LSU - He has the tools but he really needs to grow up personally. He thinks he is better than he thinks. He needs to work and learn. Hopefully he can listen since he really has all the tools. He is the highest rated CB by most experts especially running a 4:37.  A Solid 1ST Round Talent but 3rd round attitude. He could go from late mid to late 1st round to early 2nd.

3.  DEANDRE BAKER - GEORGIA - He won the award for best defensive back in college. Now I watched more times than none and what I get is a cornerback who for his size can hit you like a linebacker. He is no Deon Sanders when it comes to that. But unlike the Great Deon who played right in your face, he sometimes always back peddles when the play begins. Now that won't fly in the NFL. Since they would just continue and do a button route ar a crossing route. Is that because of his top speed. He did run a 4.52 which is a touch under average for a cornerback. Now he does have some size being 5:11 193LBS.  But what I love about him he is a team player when he is on the field. Now he did skip his bowl game which I hate as did Greedy Williams. Bryon Murphy played which I give him kudos for. He may have to move to either of the saftey positions.  But overall Deandre is a worthy Early 2nd Pick. 

4. SEAN BUNTING - CENTRAL MICHIGAN - A two time 1ST Team All Conference Mac Cornerback. Now if you watch his tape he is right on you on the line. And he sticks to you like glue. He has great size at 6:0 195LBS and he runs a great Forty. His time was a 4.42. An his Vertical was outstanding at 41.5 and his long jump a 126'. And did anyone watch his drills. Smooth and natural. So lets check the boxes.  He has good size, Great speed, incredible athleticism, and a smooth and natural technique.  So what do I get?  Excited Because He Is My RISER !!!      I really think he is a First Round Talent that the NFL team that gets him will benefit from his play and be as happy as a Bingo winner.   What round will he go. Probably mid 3 to late 3.  For me he is a first round guy. 

5.  ROCK YA SIN - TEMPLE - I tell you when they put those single numbers on your back at Temple something goes off inside of you and you play like Superman. This character and I mean character on the football field is a born leader. His enery exudes over to his other teammates. Watch his tape and you see him like Bunting on top of that receiver. He sticks to him like glue. Now again he may be quicker than fast like Baker since he also ran a 4.51. A tad off average for a CB. But no denying his  heart. I love this guy. He reminds me of a player who would of played with the Ray Lewis Baltimore Ravens. Look he no small guy. He is 6:0 and 192LBS and his Vertical was an outstanding 39.5' with a broadjump of 120'. Now his negative was he only played one year of division 1 football.     Mid to Late 2nd Round

6.  MICHAEL JACKSON - MIAMI - Another up in your face Cornerback who is physical with the receiver. But I also seen him peddle back and actually drop in a safety posion. Miami Defensive coordinator had all kind of schemes that he played and Jackson was a perfect corner. He is not flashy but so steady and loves that turnover chain. He will be a good pro in the NFL. He is long at 6:1 and 210LBS and before if you want him to play free safety he had an impressive 4.45 Forty.  And followed that up with another impressive 40.5 Vertical and another impressive 130 broadjump.  So I see this player playing both positions.       He is another one of My Risers for his flexability. I see him as a mid to late 2nd Round Grade.

7. JIMMY MORELAND- JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY. - Oh My God. This player is so annoying. Oh no not to me but receivers. Watching this Corner as I watched Buntings tape has to be my two favorite cornerbacks. I have nicknames for this guy. The Gambler or The Swagster since he has so much swag on the football field. He also can be called Take It To The House Speedster. Lets make it simple he is a very good Cornerback.  Late 2nd round talent. 

SO FOR NOW THIS IS MY TOP 7 CORNERBACKS.   I WILL GIVE MY NEXT 15 TOMORROW                              

I think greedy Williams would be a great addition to this roster. He might not be worth third overall but if we traded to 6th and he is there I am all in on him. I think he has a similar attitude to Adams and I understand a lot of people don't like that attitude but at the end of the day these guys play hard and just want wins which is the attitude you want on the team over slugs who just want paychecks.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

You severely underrated Greedy’s cover ability, hip fluidity and his instincts. He’s a great cover corner worthy of a top 10-15 selection. He’s not a big tackler but you can bet your ass that he’ll be in the right spot to make a play on the ball, he won’t get burned and he’ll have the awareness to make the play with the ball in the air most importantly.

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Greedy. That's the guy I want if we're going after one. He is a big reason why I am ok with trading down and missing out on QW or Allen. 

I like Greedy too but there's no way I'm trading down if the Jets haven't addressed Edge in FA.  It's been the most glaring need on the defense for the better part of a decade.  Have we had anyone since Calvin Pace that can legitimately rush the passer from the outside?

Now, if we sign someone like Justin Houston I can get more onboard with this tradedown for someone like Greedy....or J Taylor.

This is one of those weird moments where JN seems to have  locked in on a favorite guy in near complete contradiction to the rest of the planet.  Murphy and in many cases Baker are rated higher than Williams in more and more mocks and rankings.  I don't know these guys well enough to have a strong opinion but I have not seen a mock anywhere reasonably reliable that has Greedy as a top-10, let alone top-5 pick, and many times he's 2nd or 3rd CB off the board.  

Is it the height/speed thing?  Is he better at man-coverage than Murphy or Baker?  Because when I hear 'poor tackler' or 'poor attitude' I get pretty dissuaded from burning a first round pick on the guy but I really don't know much about him or the others so I'd love to hear more.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

This is one of those weird moments where JN seems to have  locked in on a favorite guy in near complete contradiction to the rest of the planet.  Murphy and in many cases Baker are rated higher than Williams in more and more mocks and rankings.  I don't know these guys well enough to have a strong opinion but I have not seen a mock anywhere reasonably reliable that has Greedy as a top-10, let alone top-5 pick, and many times he's 2nd or 3rd CB off the board.  

Is it the height/speed thing?  Is he better at man-coverage than Murphy or Baker?  Because when I hear 'poor tackler' or 'poor attitude' I get pretty dissuaded from burning a first round pick on the guy but I really don't know much about him or the others so I'd love to hear more.

Great man cover corner .....not a good tackler. 

Dont know where the attitude thing is coming from. Never heard that once. Watched videos of him. Seems like a good guy.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Jeremiah, for one, has him like #30 in his top 50. If you took this guy at 3, you should be fired on the spot.

Any projections on next years cornerback class?

I'm having a tough time seeing them pass on a projected high level talent pass rusher this year. 

I think the trade compensation would have to be pretty significant. 

Are any of these guys a shut down level corner? 

Personally, I think a corner would have to be very high level to pass on the projected value at pass rusher at the top of the draft this year. 

I like your choice of "risers" @Tony The Wiz  I like fast cornerbacks too. and some size and length.  "Speed kills", especially when it's a receiver getting space on a trailing cornerback. 

Glad to see some people raising some doubts about the aura surrounding Greedy Williams. I too have read reports questioning his willingness to "stick his head in there" and character/ maturity questions.  I want defenders with a meanness and edge to them, intimidation is a big part of playing effective defense, in my opinion.  That's why my enthusiasm for Greedy Williams, especially high in the first round, is low.

18 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I like your choice of "risers" @Tony The Wiz  I like fast cornerbacks too. and some size and length.  "Speed kills", especially when it's a receiver getting space on a trailing cornerback. 

Glad to see some people raising some doubts about the aura surrounding Greedy Williams. I too have read reports questioning his willingness to "stick his head in there" and character/ maturity questions.  I want defenders with a meanness and edge to them, intimidation is a big part of playing effective defense, in my opinion.  That's why my enthusiasm for Greedy Williams, especially high in the first round, is low.

I don't know if you watched the combine where he did something negative and than pulled out of the other drills due to cramps. The event was inside and Deon Sanders had mentioned minutes before it was cold in there. And even Deon commented a little sarcastically about the excuse he just pulled.  

On 3/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, bealeb319 said:

I think greedy Williams would be a great addition to this roster. He might not be worth third overall but if we traded to 6th and he is there I am all in on him. I think he has a similar attitude to Adams and I understand a lot of people don't like that attitude but at the end of the day these guys play hard and just want wins which is the attitude you want on the team over slugs who just want paychecks.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I wouldn't trade down now with all of the free agents we signed. Now you go get Allen at 3 and when the third round comes around there should bee a nice center you can go get. This draft was deep with centers so one of them may still be around. 

On 3/14/2019 at 3:53 AM, Tony The Wiz said:

The Cornerback position has become one of the most important positions in football. The passing game has been so much more relevant than ever. Back in the day it was the running game and I remember a NY Giant game where they ran 15 straight running plays. This was the way Bill Parcell coached. That will never happen in todays game. Now  you have 3rd and less than 2 and half the time the team is throwing to make the first down. That was basically unheard 35 years ago. So finding a gem at this position is so valuable. Now I have been evalating players and I remember 2 players the Jets drafted and I heard hell from some of you Jet fans. Those two cornerbacks, a first and a 2nd round pick was Dee Milner and Dexter McDougle. I was on the mark on both of them. I never like Milner with Alabama because he had so many injuries before his senior year at Alabama. An McDougle was injured the whole year when he was picked 2nd by the Jets. So hopefully if we go into the draft and pick one we could go get one. Now this year was not great year on Cornerbacks. But we do have a half dozen or so really good ones but the best are late 1st rounders. So here we Go. The Combine I really needed to see their speed and techique and if you watched it the Cornerbacks as a whole was either not good or just fair.   Look all year I had my number 1 but I had reservations about him watching his Combine. And that was Greedy Williams. Now he has the speed and his height is excellent but something is wrong with his personality and his technique, Now look you can't coach speed but you can coach technique. But there was one player that just passed him as the number 1 CB.

1. BRYON MURPHY - WASHINGTON - Now his speed was the only thing not going for him. But all year he has the knack of making the big play. If he would of ran a 4.6 and under he would of moved in the mid 1st round. But he has put on some weight and some of that speed got affect. He has got nice height in 5:11 and great hands. He also was a great receiver in High School. He is athletic with a Vertical of 36.5 and a long jump of 120 so we know he is faster than a 4:55. He had 4 interceptions this year. His instinct is his high quality.  So I see him getting a Late 1st Round to Early 2nd Round Grade.  But if he runs a fast 40 at his pro day he moves up. 

2. ANDRAEZ  "GREEDY"  WILLIAMS - LSU - He has the tools but he really needs to grow up personally. He thinks he is better than he thinks. He needs to work and learn. Hopefully he can listen since he really has all the tools. He is the highest rated CB by most experts especially running a 4:37.  A Solid 1ST Round Talent but 3rd round attitude. He could go from late mid to late 1st round to early 2nd.

3.  DEANDRE BAKER - GEORGIA - He won the award for best defensive back in college. Now I watched more times than none and what I get is a cornerback who for his size can hit you like a linebacker. He is no Deon Sanders when it comes to that. But unlike the Great Deon who played right in your face, he sometimes always back peddles when the play begins. Now that won't fly in the NFL. Since they would just continue and do a button route ar a crossing route. Is that because of his top speed. He did run a 4.52 which is a touch under average for a cornerback. Now he does have some size being 5:11 193LBS.  But what I love about him he is a team player when he is on the field. Now he did skip his bowl game which I hate as did Greedy Williams. Bryon Murphy played which I give him kudos for. He may have to move to either of the saftey positions.  But overall Deandre is a worthy Early 2nd Pick. 

4. SEAN BUNTING - CENTRAL MICHIGAN - A two time 1ST Team All Conference Mac Cornerback. Now if you watch his tape he is right on you on the line. And he sticks to you like glue. He has great size at 6:0 195LBS and he runs a great Forty. His time was a 4.42. An his Vertical was outstanding at 41.5 and his long jump a 126'. And did anyone watch his drills. Smooth and natural. So lets check the boxes.  He has good size, Great speed, incredible athleticism, and a smooth and natural technique.  So what do I get?  Excited Because He Is My RISER !!!      I really think he is a First Round Talent that the NFL team that gets him will benefit from his play and be as happy as a Bingo winner.   What round will he go. Probably mid 3 to late 3.  For me he is a first round guy. 

5.  ROCK YA SIN - TEMPLE - I tell you when they put those single numbers on your back at Temple something goes off inside of you and you play like Superman. This character and I mean character on the football field is a born leader. His enery exudes over to his other teammates. Watch his tape and you see him like Bunting on top of that receiver. He sticks to him like glue. Now again he may be quicker than fast like Baker since he also ran a 4.51. A tad off average for a CB. But no denying his  heart. I love this guy. He reminds me of a player who would of played with the Ray Lewis Baltimore Ravens. Look he no small guy. He is 6:0 and 192LBS and his Vertical was an outstanding 39.5' with a broadjump of 120'. Now his negative was he only played one year of division 1 football.     Mid to Late 2nd Round

6.  MICHAEL JACKSON - MIAMI - Another up in your face Cornerback who is physical with the receiver. But I also seen him peddle back and actually drop in a safety posion. Miami Defensive coordinator had all kind of schemes that he played and Jackson was a perfect corner. He is not flashy but so steady and loves that turnover chain. He will be a good pro in the NFL. He is long at 6:1 and 210LBS and before if you want him to play free safety he had an impressive 4.45 Forty.  And followed that up with another impressive 40.5 Vertical and another impressive 130 broadjump.  So I see this player playing both positions.       He is another one of My Risers for his flexability. I see him as a mid to late 2nd Round Grade.

7. JIMMY MORELAND- JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY. - Oh My God. This player is so annoying. Oh no not to me but receivers. Watching this Corner as I watched Buntings tape has to be my two favorite cornerbacks. I have nicknames for this guy. The Gambler or The Swagster since he has so much swag on the football field. He also can be called Take It To The House Speedster. Lets make it simple he is a very good Cornerback.  Late 2nd round talent. 

SO FOR NOW THIS IS MY TOP 7 CORNERBACKS.   I WILL GIVE MY NEXT 15 TOMORROW                              

If Greedy is there at #8, Detroit will take him notwithstanding character questions, unless they are really severe.  He might go earlier. CB panic is not uncommon on draft day.  

Archived