McLendon Returning

Lith

I’m fine with this as a backup and because he is a lockeroom leader. We need a starting DT that’s NOT a waste of a draft pick. Although, I think we’ll play a lot of Nickel 2-4-5 which is more like a 4-3 nickel and only need to interior DTs on the field like Williams and Anderson. This may reduce McLendon’s role allowing him to be the “starter” and get us through the year. 

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Not sure why they chose to bring him back over Pennel. I know they released Pennel but thought they'd bring him back on a cheaper deal. Younger and bigger than McLendon

Bigger is not what Williams looks for, he wants smaller attacking guys rather than space hogs.

Not sure McClendon counts as "attacking", but "size matters not" for our new DC.

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Bigger is not what Williams looks for, he wants smaller attacking guys rather than space hogs.

Not sure McClendon counts as "attacking", but "size matters not" for our new DC.

Fair point. Was thinking more of the traditional 3-4 NT. Like you said, McLendon is neither an "attacking" DT nor big enough for the traditional NT role.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cant have all stars at every position.  McLendon and Harrison dont suck, they're good players that every roster needs for depth or someone you can trust in a full time role for a few weeks.  

Agreed 100%. He's a solid depth guy.  Glad to see him and Harrison return.  Henry Anderson is a really good keep as well.  

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed 100%. He's a solid depth guy.  Glad to see him and Harrison return.  Henry Anderson is a really good keep as well.  

For sure.  If we can add an adequate CB2 and a pass rusher whether that's via FA or draft, the D might actually not suck.  

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Maybe Q. Williams isn’t in the cards for the Jets after all

I think it's more about flexibility in case he's not on the board.  This roster can use any of the big-3 defenders in the draft, but we're not facing a massive hole in case we don't get a specific one.  Pass rusher still looks like the better fit, particularly since we have at least  enough bodies at DT to take the field with.  But if Allen and Bosa go 1-2, I would expect Quinnen to be the pick at 3.

Not thrilled about the signing, but I get it.  Especially at that price.  Sheldon Richardson is a better player, but not 7.5 million dollars better. Was a solid contributor, until last year, when he was largely ineffective. He wasn't the only one.

Hopefully it was a scheme and play calling problem and not a sign of deteriorating skills. He is a good teammate, but the leadership part is urban legend.  Leaders make plays.  Last year he didn't.  Hope that changes, with the new defense.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

For sure.  If we can add an adequate CB2 and a pass rusher whether that's via FA or draft, the D might actually not suck.  

I think CB is the next position we address. I can see Callahan coming over. Eh?   I'm not so sure the Jets are willing to pay for Houston and while I do like the player, I might actually agree.  The Jets are playing the FA period smart IMO. Offering contracts but not just throwing money around. Mosely being the outlier.  Paradis and even Bell were offered contracts at the value we thought appropriate. 

I can see them offering Houston a solid deal and him thinking he is worth more. He's injured every year. So effective but so not present for large chunks. 

With McLendon coming back it's obvious that Williams wanted a penetrator at NT
more than a run stuffer (Pennel).  Also something that shouldn't be overlooked
is McLendon and Beachum (high quality men) were both in PIT when Bell was coming
into the league.  Based on their previous relationship could they be positive
influences on him??? 

The Jets continue to draft players they would like to move on, but because they can’t draft they end up keeping players and signing FAs. 

How many CBs have we drafted, to now start signing those?

smith, Stewart, Hansen?

shepherd and foley?

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets continue to draft players they would like to move on, but because they can’t draft they end up keeping players and signing FAs. 

How many CBs have we drafted, to now start signing those?

smith, Stewart, Hansen?

shepherd and foley?

That's why if macc Doesn't hit a Homerun in this Draft he's gone & he knows it... free agency is nice but it's just a bandaid to make up for his Really Poor drafting.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m fine with this as a backup and because he is a lockeroom leader. We need a starting DT that’s NOT a waste of a draft pick. Although, I think we’ll play a lot of Nickel 2-4-5 which is more like a 4-3 nickel and only need to interior DTs on the field like Williams and Anderson. This may reduce McLendon’s role allowing him to be the “starter” and get us through the year. 

I wonder how far that DT from Mississippi State will drop. The one who tore his ACL. Simmons

5 minutes ago, genot said:

I wonder how far that DT from Mississippi State will drop. The one who tore his ACL. Simmons

Even tho he was defending his sister and has been a model citizen since .. I doubt his is even on the draft board for the jets . Macc and his Wife don’t play with DV. Although you would think rehabbing one of these kids would do wonders for her foundation 

Archived