Crowell released

Patriot Killa

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We save like 2-3 million.

4 million. The NFL has a rolling cap and he had no guaranteed money remaining. Eliminating his $4MM salary saves $4MM. While another million accelerates to 2019, an equal amount is saved in the future (just structure a new signing to "move" that equal amount back to their original cap hit; same difference).  

This was an obvious move once Bell was signed (despite a few fan calls to keep both), and probably only took this long just to see if anyone was willing to part with a late 7th rounder for Crowell, or use him as a piece in another trade (and it would seem nobody was biting). 

Bell is a $9MM upgrade over Crowell, whose return would have required a ~$4MM/year 3rd down / change of pace back anyway, plus a good chance we'd use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB as well. So net cost is cost closer to $5MM while getting back a mid-round pick. 

Bell's median game is 4.1ypc; Crowell's is 3.6. Given Crowell's game history that looks like HUGE-crap-crap-crap-HUGE-crap-crap-crap-crap-crap, it's a better tell of what you're likely to get with him than his mean ypc. (Mode would be better still, but since each doesn't have hundreds of games, to be useful it'd have to be divided into 0.2-0.3 ypc ranges, but I'm not taking the time to do this for each player).

21 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he for the most  part was a fail-had  a few nice games but shocking none of the browns trio we brought in worked out-josh pryor and crowell-poof gone

One shockingly good game.  The rest pretty much mediocre.  And call me old fashioned but I didn't care much for his butt-wipe act in the end zone.

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

One shockingly good game.  The rest pretty much mediocre.  And call me old fashioned but I didn't care much for his butt-wipe act in the end zone.

I thought in the context of playing his old team, it was hilarious.  Butt I get why it might have put off some fans.

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Like I should really care about this? That's what most free agents are -- disposable items to temporary fill holes year to year. So many commentators love to warp reality to fit their narrative of how bad a GM Macc is. He has done a bad job, but how about keeping things real.

Does this mean Marcus Maye will switch BACK to his UF College #20 w/Crowell gone and Bell takes #26?

Also, do you think the Jets will UNRETIRE #80 for Crowder? #80 has been dormant and unused for 14 years but since the Jets fired their long-time equipment manager in July'18 it's possible the sentimental "retiring" #80 for Chrebet is finally over?

23 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think they're fine with McGuire/Henderson/Cannon behind Bell.  There's no RB on the market who is such an upgrade over McGuire or Henderson that it makes sense to pay even a 2-4M free agent deal to bring them in. Maybe - maybe - Spencer Ware, if he's healthy.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Doesn't Henderson only have 9 more rushing attempts in his career than you do?

I like McGuire but I see a need for someone more experienced than McGuire, Henderson and Cannon.  Maybe I'm just being greedy.  Even though they weren't immensely talented we did have some solid game experience in Crowell and Powell.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Does this mean Marcus Maye will switch BACK to his UF College #20 w/Crowell gone and Bell takes #26?

Also, do you think the Jets will UNRETIRE #80 for Crowder? #80 has been dormant and unused for 14 years but since the Jets fired their long-time equipment manager in July'18 it's possible the sentimental "retiring" #80 for Chrebet is finally over?

I don't think they should give anyone #80 but that's just me.

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Or Bell could wear his old college # .... 24

9 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

No doubt. . He just turned 26 and with his 4.8 YPC and 6 TD's last year he won't be out there long.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Really wasn’t a bad player either. Just limited.

Crowell was serviceable and w/NO IDEA how/what shape Bell will be in and how long it will take for him to RE-acclimate to NFL again I wouldn't be so quick to cut him, but I can understand the team's perspective and the "wipe" stunt was his doom. I would have at least tried to flip him for a late round pick. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

Crowell was serviceable and w/NO IDEA how/what shape Bell will be in and how long it will take for him to RE-acclimate to NFL again I wouldn't be so quick to cut him, but I can understand the team's perspective and the "wipe" stunt was his doom. I would have at least tried to flip him for a late round pick. 

I think they tried and that is the only reason why they held on to him as long as they did.

43 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Obviously we won’t miss cro with bell here and all but shout out to Crowell for that huge game he had against Denver, I was in attendance and it was awesome

It's not so much about missing Crowell because of Bell.  I look at it like this...

- We upgraded from Crowell to Bell

- We lost Powell

- We still have McGuire, Henderson and Cannon

I do like McGuire but the idea that he can be RB2 is not something I'm completely onboard with yet.  If we are serious about the Jets making a push this season towards .500 and maybe dancing around Wild Card contention I think we need someone between Bell and McGuire.  Maybe I'm being greedy (not Williams) but many other good NFL teams have quality 1 -2 punches at RB.  I also don't want to be reliant on Henderson who has a grand total of 9 career NFL carries.

1258425936_ScreenShot2019-03-14at8_36_57AM.png.cd22f14f145e5eecfc95d20e6bc68626.png

1 hour ago, jpoppy717 said:

Probably should also include the $2M in dead money Crowell is still costing.

Still probably makes sense to cut, but could've justified keeping him this year for an extra $3M, cutting him next year and saving $4M with only $1M in dead money.  McGuire is at best an adequate 2nd RB.

No - that's a sunk cost; you're paying it whether Crow is on the roster or not.  It has no impact on that analysis.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Mac special: less than18 months of contribution, hole plugged only to be re-plugged a year later

Aka, good GMing.

Sign serviceable players during the rebuild you can easily move on from when better opportunities arise.

He deserves a tip of the cap, not misguided snark.

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's not so much about missing Crowell because of Bell.  I look at it like this...

- We upgraded from Crowell to Bell

- We lost Powell

- We still have McGuire, Henderson and Cannon

I do like McGuire but the idea that he can be RB2 is not something I'm completely onboard with yet.  If we are serious about the Jets making a push this season towards .500 and maybe dancing around Wild Card contention I think we need someone between Bell and McGuire.  Maybe I'm being greedy (not Williams) but many other good NFL teams have quality 1 -2 punches at RB.  I also don't want to be reliant on Henderson who has a grand total of 9 career NFL carries.

1258425936_ScreenShot2019-03-14at8_36_57AM.png.cd22f14f145e5eecfc95d20e6bc68626.png

Henderson's a third string back with potential. Not many third string backs that fit that profile have many NFL carries; you're basically either looking at "untapped potential" or "JAG grinder" in that 3rd RB role.

I get the concern, but I'm ok with the depth chart, since we're not really a SB contender this year and need to address other positions.  (Would be a different analysis if Bell was a potential failure point on a team with realistic SB aspirations; then you spend money/assets to back him up better)

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

Aka, good GMing.

Sign serviceable players during the rebuild you can easily move on from when better opportunities arise.

He deserves a tip of the cap, not misguided snark. 

Everything Mike Maccagnan does is awesome, always. 

Archived