Time for the Jets to trade for Clowney

Sully80

Glazer has reported teams are calling about him and Frank Clark. Time for Jets to get their EDGE guy. He's 26, has only missed 4 games in the past 3 seasons. Took him a couple years to figure it out but he's now posted back to back 9 sack seasons, in a Williams defense he could flourish and realize his untapped potential. If you put any stock into PFF, he was a top 10 EDGE defender this past year and looked great against the Jets last year. Deal makes sense with Mac's connections to Houston and being a part of the regime that drafted him #1 overall. Give the Texans #3 for Clowney and their 1st round pick, this is essentially the equivalent of trading 3 second round picks to Houston as far as chart value goes, maybe you can squeeze a third out of the Texans but I doubt it. Take #23 and address OL or WR. We get our pass rusher and still have a first rounder to toy with. Discuss.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’ll cost too much draft pick wise....just get Houston and draft a guy.

I don't think Jets are signing Houston, they've had a lot of time to sign Houston, before FA started, after Barr spurned us and after the Bell signing. I think Houston is going elsewhere and Jets are done making big FA moves.

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Why? He’s old and overrated. We are building for next 4 years 

Old and overrated? Being 30 years old doesn’t make you old..especially at certain positions. Cam Wake has had double digit sack seasons at 35. Julius Peppers? And plenty of others too.

As far as overrated goes? That’s definitely wrong as hell. justin Houston has put up 9.0 and 9.5 sacks in the last two years. We’re talking about a guy who has accumulated 20 sacks in a season before. 

This overrated crap is solidly wrong.

1 minute ago, Sully80 said:

I don't think Jets are signing Houston, they've had a lot of time to sign Houston, before FA started, after Barr spurned us and after the Bell signing. I think Houston is going elsewhere and Jets are done making big FA moves.

True . . . Doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t happen over trading for Clowney. What would we even trade them? A 3rd? They don’t want that for Clowney... we have an aching need at Center and no 2nd rounder. Basically praying that a good center(only like 3 plug and play guys) falls to 3rd round. 

No more picks being sent off if I’m Gm

Too much for Clowney. Equates his value to between the seventh and eighth picks.

The Jets could do 3 for 23, 54, 55 and Clowney and it’d still value Clowney as a late first round pick, 24-25. That’s a trade I’d do but couldn’t see the Texans doing at all - just because the value in the draft that high is edge rushers and that’s what they’re trading away in Clowney.

Ford went for a future 2. I’d start there.

I like the idea of bringing Clowney in but don’t think it makes sense to give up too much. I think the third pick is too valuable.

Glazer has reported teams are calling about him and Frank Clark. Time for Jets to get their EDGE guy. He's 26, has only missed 4 games in the past 3 seasons. Took him a couple years to figure it out but he's now posted back to back 9 sack seasons, in a Williams defense he could flourish and realize his untapped potential. If you put any stock into PFF, he was a top 10 EDGE defender this past year and looked great against the Jets last year. Deal makes sense with Mac's connections to Houston and being a part of the regime that drafted him #1 overall. Give the Texans #3 for Clowney and their 1st round pick, this is essentially the equivalent of trading 3 second round picks to Houston as far as chart value goes, maybe you can squeeze a third out of the Texans but I doubt it. Take #23 and address OL or WR. We get our pass rusher and still have a first rounder to toy with. Discuss.

I wouldn’t mind trading for him, but I feel your scenario is way too much. Moving from
3 to 23 is dropping 3-4 tiers of talent in the first rd. Clowny would not be enough for me to do that. Add to it that it’s pay day for him as well.

I like the player but that’s a looong leap backwards. It would take the third and more for me. Maybe I’m off here but that’s my initial take.

For comparison, Dee Ford was had for a 2nd straight up. Bennett was had for a 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

True . . . Doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t happen over trading for Clowney. What would we even trade them? A 3rd? They don’t want that for Clowney... we have an aching need at Center and no 2nd rounder. Basically praying that a good center(only like 3 plug and play guys) falls to 3rd round. 

No more picks being sent off if I’m Gm

I proposed a mock trade in my post, trade back from #3 to #23. The value is the picks it would take to move up into the top 5, it's the equivalent of 3 second round picks, maybe you could squeeze something else out of Houston in a deal. We'd essentially have our pass rusher of the future and a 1st round pick to play with.

Just now, Sully80 said:

our 1st round pick for Clowney and their 1st, the capital is the value of moving up into the top 5 from 23

While I do agree adding Clowney would be awesome. I think adding Houston and then Allen/Bosa might be a better option

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

While I do agree adding Clowney would be awesome. I think adding Houston and then Allen/Bosa might be a better option

Definitely could be for the defense but the team overall may benefit from say, Clowney & #23 spent on a OT, C, or WR. 

Just now, Sully80 said:

Definitely could be for the defense but the team overall may benefit from say, Clowney & #23 spent on a OT, C, or WR. 

Problem is they're already set at QB that's a huge jump for a team without a real glaring need. I don't hate the idea but idk if they pull the trigger on that

9 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

our 1st round pick for Clowney and their 1st, the capital is the value of moving up into the top 5 from 23

No.  At 3 we are getting a bigtime player on a rookie deal. If we do trade back we arent going that far 

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

We're sitting right in the Bosa/Allen sweet spot with potential upside if another team goes nuts for a QB.  Why would we do this trade?  

Because it's getting you your pass rusher of the future and a first round pick to help the offense. Trading down would most likely take you out of the Bosa/Allen sweepstakes and it's unlikely we'd get another 1st this year while being able to still draft Bosa or Allen. Doing this trade gives you the best of both worlds, young EDGE guy and some 1st round help for Sam.

18 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’ll cost too much draft pick wise....just get Houston and draft a guy.

Don't trade for Clowney. If he wasn't going to need a new contract maybe. It is completely possible that Kyler Murray goes 1 to Zona, and the Giants could trade up to 2 for Haskins leaving Bosa falling in our lap. Worse case Murry is the only QB that goes and we get Josh Allen. I'll keep the pick and get a young cheaper guy. 

I don’t think Mac is giving up draft picks for expensive players this year with as many holes as this team has.  That is what you do next year.  

The Bears traded for Mack in Trubitsky year 2, but their roster last year was better than the Jets is now. 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Problem is they're already set at QB that's a huge jump for a team without a real glaring need. I don't hate the idea but idk if they pull the trigger on that

I'm not sure they would either but they could draft their Clowney replacement, all to avoid paying Clowney big money.

Just now, Sully80 said:

I'm not sure they would either but they could draft their Clowney replacement, all to avoid paying Clowney big money.

Honestly it's not a bad idea could add an elite edge and give Mac the chance to draft a Center. Clowney and Mosleys contracts would be looming down the road though. I'd atleast make the call because idk if Houston can afford the massive contracts their 3 stars are going to command (Hopkins,Watson and Clowney) 

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'd rather take my chances with Bosa or Josh Allen than waste draft picks on Clowney, who is a bit overrated and has an uncomfortable injury history.

Not wasting draft picks, just trading back. Our 1st for their 1st and Clowney. Definitely has the ACL injury and a history of being injury prone but he's only missed 3 games in the past 3 seasons.

Archived