Trading down makes sense

playtowinthegame

I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.

To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.

Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.

New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.

Von Miller > Anthony Barr

Trading down definitely makes sense. We are now in a corner with our Center situation. Three plug-and-play prospects in this draft for Center. All predicated to be gone after the second round. We absolutely have to trade down and snag a 2nd rounder so we can pick one up. I’m okay with a high pick rookie and Harrison...big NO to only Harrison though. Gotta get a young guy who can start now or soon.

hoping one of the “big 3” centers drop to us in the 3rd is too much of a risk.

gotta trade down.

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm sure you are. Do they want to trade up? It takes 2 to tango, and maybe they don't like you.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Trading down definitely makes sense. We are now in a corner with our Center situation. Three plug-and-play prospects in this draft for Center. All predicated to be gone after the second round. We absolutely have to trade down and snag a 2nd rounder so we can pick one up. I’m okay with a high pick rookie and Harrison...big NO to only Harrison though. Gotta get a young guy who can start now or soon.

gotta trade down.

Who do you like for a stop gap center?

16 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I was beating this drum all day yesterday brother. Give me Von Miller and the chance to add Ed Oliver, Jonah Williams, or Greedy Williams

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Who do you like for a stop gap center?

It’s tough because there really isn’t anyone out there and I’m not familiar with the lesser FA Center names. Harrison might could be the stop gap...hopefully not lol. I’d say try Stefen Wisniewski.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

gotta trade down.

This simply cannot be the Jets' mindset. 

While I also feel the pain of the lack of a second rounder in a year where the team could use help all over the place, still, you can't be desperate to trade down. That'll only lead to getting a bad deal. And Maccagnan seems to get beat in every draft trade he makes. He can't do that again from the #3 pick in the draft. 

I would like to trade down, but it has to be for full value against the infamous draft pick trade chart or more. Mac paid more last year for Darnold, he needs to get back more if he trades back this year. 

Compounding the issue is if Bosa/Q. Williams/Allen are truly the only blue chips in this year's draft crop. One of them is guaranteed to be there as it is, and if a QB goes in the first two picks they'll have their choice from two of those guys. They need to be willing to take the blue chip guy if they can't get the package they want for the pick. 

Best case for the Jets would be rumors that the Raiders want a QB at #4. That's what I hope to be hearing closer to the draft. 

I am opposed to trading down for only picks. However if a team offers a stud player (Von Miller/Clowney) and some lesser picks I am all for it. I do not trust Mac to hit on later picks. Trade #3, the 3rd from NO and  Lee to Denver for Miller #10 and their 2nd 

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

What blue chip player is worth more then extra draft picks and Miller? Denver isn’t trading Miller though. 

Quinnen Williams

Nick Bosa

The 71st overall pick has a 50% chance of making the roster.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

gotta trade down.

I think the logic here is sound. Jets need a center, centers should be gone in the second round, Jets should trade down.

Don't think Macc and Gase think the same way.

Macc's kind of backed himself into a corner with the center situation - but frankly the Jets are no worse at center than they were with Harrison and injured Long. Maybe they sign Wisnewiski, Sullivan, or Swanson as an insurance policy. I think it's going to be a mix of Harrison, Toth, a mid round draft pick, and maybe another vet and they'll compete. Not what I'd do but if they were dead set on getting a center they would've handled FA differently.

As for trading down, I think it depends how far they go, what they get, and what they want to draft. With the Barr scenario and missing on the Smiths, the Jets have a strong need at edge. Trading down for the sake of accumulating picks is great. Right now the Jets potentially have a situation where the best player available is at a massive position of need and it's a position that's actually important and highly valued. That's one of the situations it's hard to trade down.

I would like to see more needs filled before the draft so they're not put in these kinds of situations. But I do think if they trade down they need to get a lot in return. The third pick this year is very valuable to the Jets and if it's valuable for other teams as well I think they need to pay a premium to get it.

Dream scenario would be 1. Murray 2. Williams 3. Raiders flip up to draft a QB so nobody gets ahead of them 4. Giants flip up to grab the third QB 5. Whoever 6. Bosa/Allen

I know it's not happening. 

As I think through this - Jets need to acquire more draft capital. Raiders need to hold on to their draft capital but have a lot in the late 1/early 2 range. Say the Jets are fielding trade down offers for the third pick. Raiders want to secure Haskins. 3 and 93 for 4 and 35 has the Raiders giving up 22 points of premium on the value chart - they don't actually give up a pick, just slots. Get into the third round where they don't have a pick after Brown trade. Jets still get their guy and move up into the early second round range where they should be able to grab some offensive talent. Seems like potentially a win win.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

This simply cannot be the Jets' mindset. 

While I also feel the pain of the lack of a second rounder in a year where the team could use help all over the place, still, you can't be desperate to trade down. That'll only lead to getting a bad deal. And Maccagnan seems to get beat in every draft trade he makes. He can't do that again from the #3 pick in the draft. 

I would like to trade down, but it has to be for full value against the infamous draft pick trade chart or more. Mac paid more last year for Darnold, he needs to get back more if he trades back this year. 

Compounding the issue is if Bosa/Q. Williams/Allen are truly the only blue chips in this year's draft crop. One of them is guaranteed to be there as it is, and if a QB goes in the first two picks they'll have their choice from two of those guys. They need to be willing to take the blue chip guy if they can't get the package they want for the pick. 

Best case for the Jets would be rumors that the Raiders want a QB at #4. That's what I hope to be hearing closer to the draft. 

The Jets should take a trade if they can get a good one. I’m not saying that they should jump at the first offer only because we need a 2nd but they do need to try. 

Because Center can’t stay like that. It’s unacceptable.

42 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

So last night I was browsing Giants and Browns boards to read what they thought about the OBJ trade.

I was kind of surprised by the Giants board. Most of them feel there is no reason now to bring Eli back for '19. But even those who are resigned to him playing his contract out next year seemed to want a trade for Rosen. It was their clear second option that surprised me.

They would package picks in an effort to trade to the 3 spot. That's right, the 3 spot, which is US. Its funny, because not one of them used the word "Jets", it was always "the 3rd pick" LOL.

Anyway, lets hope Mara and Gettleman are listening to their fans...

1 minute ago, Ken Shroy said:

I'm sure you are. Do they want to trade up? It takes 2 to tango, and maybe they don't like you.

It's about those teams I mentioned liking a quarterback like Dwayne Haskins or maybe just maybe Kyler Murray should he slip past Arizona and San Francisco. If the opportunity to trade down presents itself Mac shouldn't hesitate if it's a good return of draft picks and players. 

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stupid. Pass on an elite player for the ability to draft more jags on a cheap contract. Those 2nd round on down talents you can get any year in free agents. If Maccagnan passes on Bosa for a few extra picks I will be livid. ****ing livid

A Jets/Giants trade seems to make the most sense.  It's likely not to happen.  I don't think there's any way Gettleman gives up #6 and #17 to get Haskins.  That means he would have given up OBJ to move up three slots and that would not go over well with anyone in New York/Jersey.  

It all depends on Chucky.  He's given a lot of tools to whomever his QB will be so there's a chance he would feel comfortable starting Haskins.  Maybe not.  Antonio Brown ain't getting any younger.  Unless Elway is absolutely in love with Haskins, chances are he will stay where he is or trade into the 5-9 range to get Drew Lock.  

I don't see a trade out of #3 and Mac will likely nab Bosa or Allen.  

The honest truth is staying put and trading down both make sense.

If you stay put and land an elite player for years to come, it was the right move.  

If you trade down and compile several good players that fill mutiple holes, it was the right move.

Everyone just gets their panties in a twist arguing about who they think those players might be.

37 minutes ago, Larz said:

If foles goes to Jacksonville and Carr is on the raiders roster on draft day nobody has to come up to get a guy 

It takes two to tango.  No one's moving up in the top 3 to take a qb in this year's draft.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Agreed. And the Broncos are definitely likely to deal Miller (and a 1 and 3) to move up for Haskins, because you've kidnapped Elway's wife and are holding her hostage in your basement.

Come on, people. Make a realistic proposal, not this

44 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you stay put and land an elite player for years to come, it was the right move.  

If you trade down and compile several good players that fill mutiple holes, it was the right move.

Everyone just gets their panties in a twist arguing about who they think those players might be.

You could actually trade down and still get an elite player.  The top of this draft is good, but it’s not filled with elite talent IMO.  I’m not sold that Boas and Allen are head and shoulders above a Sweat.   There is no clear cut flawless OT prospect either.  This is the perfect year to trade down.  The second round will have some great value in it.  

Not sure they would do that. He will ask for big &

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We will beat Tom Brady with a pash rusher

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

A Jets/Giants trade seems to make the most sense.  It's likely not to happen.  I don't think there's any way Gettleman gives up #6 and #17 to get Haskins.  That means he would have given up OBJ to move up three slots and that would not go over well with anyone in New York/Jersey.  

It all depends on Chucky.  He's given a lot of tools to whomever his QB will be so there's a chance he would feel comfortable starting Haskins.  Maybe not.  Antonio Brown ain't getting any younger.  Unless Elway is absolutely in love with Haskins, chances are he will stay where he is or trade into the 5-9 range to get Drew Lock.  

I don't see a trade out of #3 and Mac will likely nab Bosa or Allen.  

I'd be willing to go back to # 6 for their 2nd round pick (#37) and their 3rd (#95) if Bosa & Allen are gone.

Per 1 version of the chart:

# 3 = 2200

# 6 = 1600, #37 = 530 & #95 = 120 (total = 2250).  For comparison - #17 is worth 950

You could argue we could ask for more, as it was said last year, when coming up for a QB the chart goes out the window.

Regardless -  I doubt it would ever happen

Archived