Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
playtowinthegame

Trading down makes sense

Recommended Posts

I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.

 

To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.

Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.

New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.

 

Von Miller > Anthony Barr

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading down definitely makes sense. We are now in a corner with our Center situation. Three plug-and-play prospects in this draft for Center. All predicated to be gone after the second round. We absolutely have to trade down and snag a 2nd rounder so we can pick one up. I’m okay with a high pick rookie and Harrison...big NO to only Harrison though. Gotta get a young guy who can start now or soon.

hoping one of the “big 3” centers drop to us in the 3rd is too much of a risk.

gotta trade down.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barf- no thanks. You don't pass on a blue chip player at #3 for a 30 year old speed rusher....

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rex-n-effect said:

Broncos are not trading away Von Miller

Ok then we'll take 10, 41, and next years first round pick from the Broncos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.

 

To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.

Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.

New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.

 

Von Miller > Anthony Barr

I'm sure you are. Do they want to trade up? It takes 2 to tango, and maybe they don't like you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Trading down definitely makes sense. We are now in a corner with our Center situation. Three plug-and-play prospects in this draft for Center. All predicated to be gone after the second round. We absolutely have to trade down and snag a 2nd rounder so we can pick one up. I’m okay with a high pick rookie and Harrison...big NO to only Harrison though. Gotta get a young guy who can start now or soon.

hoping one of the “big 3” centers drop to us in the 3rd is too much of a risk.

gotta trade down.

Who do you like for a stop gap center?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Barf- no thanks. You don't pass on a blue chip player at #3 for a 30 year old speed rusher....

What blue chip player is worth more then extra draft picks and Miller? Denver isn’t trading Miller though. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Ok then we'll take 10, 41, and next years first round pick from the Broncos.

The way Elway's going, that might be higher than our #3 pick this year.😀 Sign me up!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.

 

To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.

Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.

New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.

 

Von Miller > Anthony Barr

I was beating this drum all day yesterday brother. Give me Von Miller and the chance to add Ed Oliver, Jonah Williams, or Greedy Williams

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Who do you like for a stop gap center?

It’s tough because there really isn’t anyone out there and I’m not familiar with the lesser FA Center names. Harrison might could be the stop gap...hopefully not lol. I’d say try Stefen Wisniewski.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Trading down definitely makes sense. We are now in a corner with our Center situation. Three plug-and-play prospects in this draft for Center. All predicated to be gone after the second round. We absolutely have to trade down and snag a 2nd rounder so we can pick one up. I’m okay with a high pick rookie and Harrison...big NO to only Harrison though. Gotta get a young guy who can start now or soon.

hoping one of the “big 3” centers drop to us in the 3rd is too much of a risk.

gotta trade down.

This simply cannot be the Jets' mindset. 

While I also feel the pain of the lack of a second rounder in a year where the team could use help all over the place, still, you can't be desperate to trade down. That'll only lead to getting a bad deal. And Maccagnan seems to get beat in every draft trade he makes. He can't do that again from the #3 pick in the draft. 

I would like to trade down, but it has to be for full value against the infamous draft pick trade chart or more. Mac paid more last year for Darnold, he needs to get back more if he trades back this year. 

Compounding the issue is if Bosa/Q. Williams/Allen are truly the only blue chips in this year's draft crop. One of them is guaranteed to be there as it is, and if a QB goes in the first two picks they'll have their choice from two of those guys. They need to be willing to take the blue chip guy if they can't get the package they want for the pick. 

Best case for the Jets would be rumors that the Raiders want a QB at #4. That's what I hope to be hearing closer to the draft. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am opposed to trading down for only picks. However if a team offers a stud player (Von Miller/Clowney) and some lesser picks I am all for it. I do not trust Mac to hit on later picks. Trade #3, the 3rd from NO and  Lee to Denver for Miller #10 and their 2nd 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

What blue chip player is worth more then extra draft picks and Miller? Denver isn’t trading Miller though. 

Quinnen Williams

Nick Bosa

The 71st overall pick has a 50% chance of making the roster.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Trading down definitely makes sense. We are now in a corner with our Center situation. Three plug-and-play prospects in this draft for Center. All predicated to be gone after the second round. We absolutely have to trade down and snag a 2nd rounder so we can pick one up. I’m okay with a high pick rookie and Harrison...big NO to only Harrison though. Gotta get a young guy who can start now or soon.

hoping one of the “big 3” centers drop to us in the 3rd is too much of a risk.

gotta trade down.

I think the logic here is sound. Jets need a center, centers should be gone in the second round, Jets should trade down.

Don't think Macc and Gase think the same way.

Macc's kind of backed himself into a corner with the center situation - but frankly the Jets are no worse at center than they were with Harrison and injured Long. Maybe they sign Wisnewiski, Sullivan, or Swanson as an insurance policy. I think it's going to be a mix of Harrison, Toth, a mid round draft pick, and maybe another vet and they'll compete. Not what I'd do but if they were dead set on getting a center they would've handled FA differently.

 

As for trading down, I think it depends how far they go, what they get, and what they want to draft. With the Barr scenario and missing on the Smiths, the Jets have a strong need at edge. Trading down for the sake of accumulating picks is great. Right now the Jets potentially have a situation where the best player available is at a massive position of need and it's a position that's actually important and highly valued. That's one of the situations it's hard to trade down.

I would like to see more needs filled before the draft so they're not put in these kinds of situations. But I do think if they trade down they need to get a lot in return. The third pick this year is very valuable to the Jets and if it's valuable for other teams as well I think they need to pay a premium to get it.

Dream scenario would be 1. Murray 2. Williams 3. Raiders flip up to draft a QB so nobody gets ahead of them 4. Giants flip up to grab the third QB 5. Whoever 6. Bosa/Allen

I know it's not happening. 

 

As I think through this - Jets need to acquire more draft capital. Raiders need to hold on to their draft capital but have a lot in the late 1/early 2 range. Say the Jets are fielding trade down offers for the third pick. Raiders want to secure Haskins. 3 and 93 for 4 and 35 has the Raiders giving up 22 points of premium on the value chart - they don't actually give up a pick, just slots. Get into the third round where they don't have a pick after Brown trade. Jets still get their guy and move up into the early second round range where they should be able to grab some offensive talent. Seems like potentially a win win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broncos just traded for a Joie Flacco didn't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slats said:

This simply cannot be the Jets' mindset. 

While I also feel the pain of the lack of a second rounder in a year where the team could use help all over the place, still, you can't be desperate to trade down. That'll only lead to getting a bad deal. And Maccagnan seems to get beat in every draft trade he makes. He can't do that again from the #3 pick in the draft. 

I would like to trade down, but it has to be for full value against the infamous draft pick trade chart or more. Mac paid more last year for Darnold, he needs to get back more if he trades back this year. 

Compounding the issue is if Bosa/Q. Williams/Allen are truly the only blue chips in this year's draft crop. One of them is guaranteed to be there as it is, and if a QB goes in the first two picks they'll have their choice from two of those guys. They need to be willing to take the blue chip guy if they can't get the package they want for the pick. 

Best case for the Jets would be rumors that the Raiders want a QB at #4. That's what I hope to be hearing closer to the draft. 

The Jets should take a trade if they can get a good one. I’m not saying that they should jump at the first offer only because we need a 2nd but they do need to try. 

Because Center can’t stay like that. It’s unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jets trade down with the Bengals. They get our 3rd, we get their 11th pick, 43 pick and Carlos Dunlop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.

 

To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.

Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.

New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.

 

Von Miller > Anthony Barr

So last night I was browsing Giants and Browns boards to read what they thought about the OBJ trade.

I was kind of surprised by the Giants board. Most of them feel there is no reason now to bring Eli back for '19. But even those who are resigned to him playing his contract out next year seemed to want a trade for Rosen. It was their clear second option that surprised me.

They would package picks in an effort to trade to the 3 spot. That's right, the 3 spot, which is US. Its funny, because not one of them used the word "Jets", it was always "the 3rd pick" LOL.

Anyway, lets hope Mara and Gettleman are listening to their fans...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ken Shroy said:

I'm sure you are. Do they want to trade up? It takes 2 to tango, and maybe they don't like you.

It's about those teams I mentioned liking a quarterback like Dwayne Haskins or maybe just maybe Kyler Murray should he slip past Arizona and San Francisco. If the opportunity to trade down presents itself Mac shouldn't hesitate if it's a good return of draft picks and players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stupid. Pass on an elite player for the ability to draft more jags on a cheap contract. Those 2nd round on down talents you can get any year in free agents. If Maccagnan passes on Bosa for a few extra picks I will be livid. ****ing livid

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Jets/Giants trade seems to make the most sense.  It's likely not to happen.  I don't think there's any way Gettleman gives up #6 and #17 to get Haskins.  That means he would have given up OBJ to move up three slots and that would not go over well with anyone in New York/Jersey.  

It all depends on Chucky.  He's given a lot of tools to whomever his QB will be so there's a chance he would feel comfortable starting Haskins.  Maybe not.  Antonio Brown ain't getting any younger.  Unless Elway is absolutely in love with Haskins, chances are he will stay where he is or trade into the 5-9 range to get Drew Lock.  

I don't see a trade out of #3 and Mac will likely nab Bosa or Allen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Broncos just traded for a Joie Flacco didn't they?

And they’re going to throw in Von Miller to move up 7 spots... haven’t you heard?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If foles goes to Jacksonville and Carr is on the raiders roster on draft day nobody has to come up to get a guy 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The honest truth is staying put and trading down both make sense.

If you stay put and land an elite player for years to come, it was the right move.  

If you trade down and compile several good players that fill mutiple holes, it was the right move.

Everyone just gets their panties in a twist arguing about who they think those players might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Larz said:

If foles goes to Jacksonville and Carr is on the raiders roster on draft day nobody has to come up to get a guy 

It takes two to tango.  No one's moving up in the top 3 to take a qb in this year's draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no trading down-mac has shown he cant draft and his only players of substance were higher picks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.

 

To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.

Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.

New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.

 

Von Miller > Anthony Barr

Agreed. And the Broncos are definitely likely to deal Miller (and a 1 and 3) to move up for Haskins, because you've kidnapped Elway's wife and are holding her hostage in your basement.

Come on, people. Make a realistic proposal, not this

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Make a realistic proposal

For the Broncos to move up to 3 for a quarterback, that was a realistic proposal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The honest truth is staying put and trading down both make sense.

If you stay put and land an elite player for years to come, it was the right move.  

If you trade down and compile several good players that fill mutiple holes, it was the right move.

Everyone just gets their panties in a twist arguing about who they think those players might be.

You could actually trade down and still get an elite player.  The top of this draft is good, but it’s not filled with elite talent IMO.  I’m not sold that Boas and Allen are head and shoulders above a Sweat.   There is no clear cut flawless OT prospect either.  This is the perfect year to trade down.  The second round will have some great value in it.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm open to trading down with the Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Redskins, or Lions.
 
To get things started I'll suggest this trade between the Jets and Broncos.
Denver Broncos get the 3rd overall pick so they can draft Dwayne Haskins.
New York Jets get the 10th, 71st, and Von Miller.
 
Von Miller > Anthony Barr

Not sure they would do that. He will ask for big &


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The honest truth is staying put and trading down both make sense.
If you stay put and land an elite player for years to come, it was the right move.  
If you trade down and compile several good players that fill mutiple holes, it was the right move.
Everyone just gets their panties in a twist arguing about who they think those players might be.

We will beat Tom Brady with a pash rusher


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Trumaine Johnson decides to play hard this season, it seems to me the only major thing our D is missing is a bonafide edge rusher. If Josh Allen is there at three, I think Mac has to take him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

A Jets/Giants trade seems to make the most sense.  It's likely not to happen.  I don't think there's any way Gettleman gives up #6 and #17 to get Haskins.  That means he would have given up OBJ to move up three slots and that would not go over well with anyone in New York/Jersey.  

It all depends on Chucky.  He's given a lot of tools to whomever his QB will be so there's a chance he would feel comfortable starting Haskins.  Maybe not.  Antonio Brown ain't getting any younger.  Unless Elway is absolutely in love with Haskins, chances are he will stay where he is or trade into the 5-9 range to get Drew Lock.  

I don't see a trade out of #3 and Mac will likely nab Bosa or Allen.  

I'd be willing to go back to # 6 for their 2nd round pick (#37) and their 3rd (#95) if Bosa & Allen are gone.

Per 1 version of the chart:

# 3 = 2200

# 6 = 1600, #37 = 530 & #95 = 120 (total = 2250).  For comparison - #17 is worth 950

You could argue we could ask for more, as it was said last year, when coming up for a QB the chart goes out the window.

Regardless -  I doubt it would ever happen

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×