Trading down makes sense

playtowinthegame

I get the sense that Mac's attitude is a little bit of...

• I will try my best.
  • I will not sign players I don't love.
  • I will not lower my standards and pay above value.  

As we know, that did not always work even for dating if you wanted to have some fun.

I think Mac needs to put the best team he can on the field, this year, for his best interests as well as ours.  

What about moves like this to complete this team:

• Offer PITT next year's second, or one of our thirds, for B.J. Finney.
  • Offer next year's second, or next's first, for someone's high second round pick THIS YEAR, so we can draft a Center.  
    • We could offer next year's first for a very high second round pick this year, which assumes the Jets pick much lower next year.
    • Maybe its next's year's second for someone's low second round pick, IF we like a Center or T at the end of the second round.
    • Or maybe we offer both thirds for a second to pick a Center.

Its time to get creative. 

37 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'd be willing to go back to # 6 for their 2nd round pick (#37) and their 3rd (#95) if Bosa & Allen are gone.

Per 1 version of the chart:

# 3 = 2200

# 6 = 1600, #37 = 530 & #95 = 120 (total = 2250).  For comparison - #17 is worth 950

You could argue we could ask for more, as it was said last year, when coming up for a QB the chart goes out the window.

Regardless -  I doubt it would ever happen

In addition to #6, #37 & #95 for the 3rd pick, if I’m the NYJ I’m asking for a 2nd Rd pick next year also. 

I wouldn’t do the trade back for below value

9 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

What if we could trade back and get 2 firsts: Metcalf and Jonah? Would you do it?

Jets need a pass rusher more then an undersized Tackle... at 3 they have a chance to get a pass rusher they haven't had since Abraham. No thanks... 

7 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

What if we could trade back and get 2 firsts: Metcalf and Jonah? Would you do it?

Me?

id take whatever OT you liked the best with the first pick and then either OT/C/OG/WR with the second pick....whoever they like best at that spot

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Jets need a pass rusher more then an undersized Tackle... at 3 they have a chance to get a pass rusher they haven't had since Abraham. No thanks... 

I'm just trying to get as many weapons as possible around Darnold.  If we can get a stud pass rusher in FA, then use the 2 picks for offense 

27 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

I'm just trying to get as many weapons as possible around Darnold.  If we can get a stud pass rusher in FA, then use the 2 picks for offense 

With Bosa and Q most likely there... you would be doing a disservice to the team to allow such talented players go. IMO... As for Oline... I think there is opportunity to get a few future starters in the 3rd and 4th round. 

I think the Jets draft pass rusher at #3, I would love it if they could trade for an early 2nd rounder to draft Bradbury, take Hakeem Butler with your first 3rd rounder or the best Center left on the board if Butler is gone, take a Center with your second 3rd rounder or David Sills if you took a center already.... then you draft Miles Sanders or Traveon Williams in the 4th.... the rest of the draft you fill with DL or CBs... 

Mac should explore trading next seasons first round pick for two seconds and a third this season. Hmmmm....  Do the Giants have two seconds and a third?

It makes sense. Sam needs O line help now. So the Jets can pick 2 or 3 with the selections they get. The Giants keep their #6 and get ammunition to trade up next season (if necessary) to get their QB. Because next season is the QB draft, not this season.

Bengals Trade Up Scenario

Here is how I see the first two picks in the draft going before the Jets are on the clock.

1. Arizona Cardinals: They're not giving up on Josh Rosen after his rookie season. Reports they'll trade him are purely speculative aka fake news. They'll stay right were they are and select Nick Bosa. 

2. San Francisco 49ers: GM John Lynch is still invested in Jimmy Garoppolo, so don't expect him to draft a quarterback with the 2nd pick. He's going to plug the middle of his defensive line with Quinnen Williams, who possesses the same talent and potential as a guy John Lynch used to play with in Tampa Bay, which would be Warren Sapp. I can't see him passing on Quinnen Williams. He can build his defense around that guy.

3. New York Jets: GM Mike Maccagnan needs to recoup some draft picks, and he's let everyone know the 3rd pick is for sale. There will be teams who will want to leap frog in front of the Giants picking 6th overall. It's no secret the Giants are looking for the heir apparent to Eli Manning a year after passing on Sam Darnold. As for the Bengals they could be eyeing Kyler Murray and want to trade up with the Jets for a quarterback. It's not like newly hired Bengals head coach Zac Taylor is walking into a situation and his quarterback is Aaron Rodgers. Instead he's got the Red Ryder BB Gun as his quarterback. Zac Taylor recently went to Oklahoma's pro day to watch Kyler Murray, and I'd not be surprised if he's looking to nab one of the young quarterbacks in this draft because he's going to want someone to groom for his offense. What would it take for the Bengals to move up to the 3rd overall pick? The Bengals could send the Jets their 11th pick, 42nd pick, and a future 1st round pick in the 2020 draft. Just another candidate for a potential trade up with the Jets. I'm sure Mac doesn't want to fall too far down in the 1st round, and you can still get a really good player with the 11th pick in the draft, and another starter with the 42 pick in the draft. With so many holes, the Jets trading down is making more sense than ever. 

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Bengals Trade Up Scenario

Here is how I see the first two picks in the draft going before the Jets are on the clock.

1. Arizona Cardinals: They're not giving up on Josh Rosen after his rookie season. Reports they'll trade him are purely speculative aka fake news. They'll stay right were they are and select Nick Bosa. 

2. San Francisco 49ers: GM John Lynch is still invested in Jimmy Garoppolo, so don't expect him to draft a quarterback with the 2nd pick. He's going to plug the middle of his defensive line with Quinnen Williams, who possesses the same talent and potential as a guy John Lynch used to play with in Tampa Bay, which would be Warren Sapp. I can't see him passing on Quinnen Williams. He can build his defense around that guy.

3. New York Jets: GM Mike Maccagnan needs to recoup some draft picks, and he's let everyone know the 3rd pick is for sale. There will be teams who will want to leap frog in front of the Giants picking 6th overall. It's no secret the Giants are looking for the heir apparent to Eli Manning a year after passing on Sam Darnold. As for the Bengals they could be eyeing Kyler Murray and want to trade up with the Jets for a quarterback. It's not like newly hired Bengals head coach Zac Taylor is walking into a situation and his quarterback is Aaron Rodgers. Instead he's got the Red Ryder BB Gun as his quarterback. Zac Taylor recently went to Oklahoma's pro day to watch Kyler Murray, and I'd not be surprised if he's looking to nab one of the young quarterbacks in this draft because he's going to want someone to groom one for his offense. What would it take for the Bengals to move up to the 3rd overall pick? The Bengals could send the Jets their 11th pick, 42nd pick, and a future 1st round pick in the 2020 draft. Just another candidate for a potential trade up with the Jets. I'm sure Mac doesn't want to fall too far down in the 1st round, and you can still get a really good player with the 11th pick in the draft, and another starter with the 42 pick in the draft. With so many holes, they Jets trading down is making more sense than ever. 

I'd buy that for a dollar.

One year ago today Jets trade up from 6 to 3 with the Colts. I remember how excited I was finding out we moved up to the 3rd overall pick. I'd be just as excited if he traded down and got back a 2nd round pick to go with two first round picks this year and next. I hope it's the Redskins making a bold aggressive move should Kyler Murray fall to the 3rd overall pick. Make it happen Mac.

Archived