Any Matt Kalil interest?

1 minute ago, Team archer said:

lol. 

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17081762/the-carolina-panthers-will-have-matt-kalil-on-their-roster-in-2018-nfl-free-agency-draft

The Carolina Panthers WILL have Matt Kalil on their roster in 2018

Any delusions to the contrary are pure fantasy, even by the most optimistic standards.

There seems to be some degree of disbelief amongst the fan base as to whether Matt Kalil is going to be on the Carolina Panthers in 2018. I’m here to set the record straight, once and for all.

Matt Kalil will be on the team in 2018, and he will likely be the starting left tackle.

To endlessly lay out scenarios to the contrary is a completely fruitless endeavor. The team owes him a good chunk of guaranteed money, which whether or not he plays a single down for us this season, is going to be the case. His salary (the money we wouldn’t owe him if he doesn’t play) is very low, to the tune of $1,000,000. His cap hit is $6,900,000. The amount we would owe him for four years of not playing for us currently sits at $19,600,000. Even if by some absolute miracle we draft a guy able to play left tackle on week 1 of next year, or acquire a low priced free agent that absolutely blows our minds in training camp, it makes far more financial sense to keep Matt Kalil as a backup left tackle than to cut him.

Realistically, you can probably bet that Matt is going to be a Carolina Panther in 2019 as well. At that point, we would still be eating $14,700,000 in dead cap to cut him. Even with his salary escalating to $7,000,000 that year, I would be full well willing to bet that we are not yet ready to let him walk, even if his play stays about the same next year as it was this year.

2020 realistically is the year we say goodbye, and hopefully by then we will be ready. At that point his salary will exceed his dead cap hit, and it will make sense to let him go if he is not productive.

My evaluation in the 2017 Left Tackle position review still stands firm:

Expect Matt Kalil back next season, mainly because it doesn’t make financial sense for us to let him go. I can only hope that the team pursues a draft option with real potential to take over at left tackle in a year, because it makes too much sense to cut bait with him at that time. I can see why Dave Gettleman made the signing. He was hoping to get a steal based on potential, and unfortunately, you’ll always end up overpaying a free agent tackle. Ultimately though, it doesn’t look like Kalil is going to ascend to any great new heights, and will find himself routinely in the bottom half of the league as far as starting left tackles are concerned.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol. 

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17081762/the-carolina-panthers-will-have-matt-kalil-on-their-roster-in-2018-nfl-free-agency-draft

Any delusions to the contrary are pure fantasy, even by the most optimistic standards.

There seems to be some degree of disbelief amongst the fan base as to whether Matt Kalil is going to be on the Carolina Panthers in 2018. I’m here to set the record straight, once and for all.

Matt Kalil will be on the team in 2018, and he will likely be the starting left tackle.

To endlessly lay out scenarios to the contrary is a completely fruitless endeavor. The team owes him a good chunk of guaranteed money, which whether or not he plays a single down for us this season, is going to be the case. His salary (the money we wouldn’t owe him if he doesn’t play) is very low, to the tune of $1,000,000. His cap hit is $6,900,000. The amount we would owe him for four years of not playing for us currently sits at $19,600,000. Even if by some absolute miracle we draft a guy able to play left tackle on week 1 of next year, or acquire a low priced free agent that absolutely blows our minds in training camp, it makes far more financial sense to keep Matt Kalil as a backup left tackle than to cut him.

Realistically, you can probably bet that Matt is going to be a Carolina Panther in 2019 as well. At that point, we would still be eating $14,700,000 in dead cap to cut him. Even with his salary escalating to $7,000,000 that year, I would be full well willing to bet that we are not yet ready to let him walk, even if his play stays about the same next year as it was this year.

2020 realistically is the year we say goodbye, and hopefully by then we will be ready. At that point his salary will exceed his dead cap hit, and it will make sense to let him go if he is not productive.

Expect Matt Kalil back next season, mainly because it doesn’t make financial sense for us to let him go. I can only hope that the team pursues a draft option with real potential to take over at left tackle in a year, because it makes too much sense to cut bait with him at that time. I can see why Dave Gettleman made the signing. He was hoping to get a steal based on potential, and unfortunately, you’ll always end up overpaying a free agent tackle. Ultimately though, it doesn’t look like Kalil is going to ascend to any great new heights, and will find himself routinely in the bottom half of the league as far as starting left tackles are concerned.

He was on roster 2018 this is 2019

10 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

He was on roster 2018 this is 2019

"Realistically, you can probably bet that Matt is going to be a Carolina Panther in 2019 as well. At that point, we would still be eating $14,700,000 in dead cap to cut him. Even with his salary escalating to $7,000,000 that year, I would be full well willing to bet that we are not yet ready to let him walk, even if his play stays about the same next year as it was this year."

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol. 

isn't this article from last year? It speaks to the 2018 (last year) season. But he went on IR early on.  Same in 2016.  

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Can you explain? He’s just washed up? Slow, lazy, constantly hurt??

Last year hurt, before that he wasn’t very good at all. I don’t think he’s lazy  he just hasn’t played well. then again the entire OL has been bad. With the LT it jumps out though.