What's the difference?

NYJ1

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

As a result of this FA push, how much better is this team? In the win column that is. Ultimately any move any football team makes is in an effort to win more football games.

Does this make this team bound for the playoffs? Or is this just a waste of money?

My feeling as of right now they still have nobody at corner and they let two of their best players walk. The ST will most certainly take a hit. The secondary should get lit up like a Christmas tree.

Honestly, I don't see this team being much better before the draft. Maybe one more win? What are your thoughts?

Relax FA is hardly over, then comes the draft.

Let’s tier this:

Top tier stars - yes Sam Darnold, lev bell, CJ and Jamal. So like 18% of starters.

Very good: i’d go Leo, Anderson, Williamson, robby, Osemele, Herndon, crowder-so like 35% of starters

goodish: Jenkins, Tru , Maye, enunwa, 18% of starters

So 70% of the team right now looks quality

The rest is mostly gaping holes, still this is a nice start

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Let’s tier this:

Top tier stars - yes Sam Darnold, lev bell, CJ and Jamal. So like 18% of starters.

Very good: i’d go Leo, Anderson, Williamson, robby, Osemele, Herndon, crowder-so like 35% of starters

Sam is potentially top teir qtrback, right now he is average at best, but yeah should be great. Rest yes at the top of third position...

Very good, none of them are very good. Leo is good. The rest or average of niche with a role like Robby, Robby is not very good at all, did you see him play...

We should be honest, one of maccs problems is grading by potential, not by performance. 

If we could bring the roster to 70 percent average/good I would be ecstatic.

Bell on offense bring us to another level of good offense with game plan to overcome holes on talent, paired up with Sam progression, we should be excited but let's not kid ourselves we need to keep getting talent.

21 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I don't think so but losign kicker and returner not a big deal we have a good special teams coach we Weill be fine. Those guys will not repeat same feat.

Whoosh as the joke passes right over

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

For the record we did not let two of our best players walk, the kicker is too volatile. and for returns, he did great but we can get good returns from others.

I agree with this. Roberts and Myers are pretty much "fly by night" players. But I'm still worried about ST as a whole.Without those two I see 2015 all over again?

I also agree that this teams success/failure has nothing to do with the players they just added through FA. This has everything to do with SAMMY DARNOLD. What kind of sophomore leap the kid makes will define the 2019 season. Bell, Mosley, so on and so forth are nothing more than support players to make things easier on Sammy. Sammy and only SAMMY will make this team better.

4 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

I completely agree on this entire post. 

At least 3 more wins with better coaching.

They definately have a shot at a wild card next season. I think some people are forgetting how amazing of a RB Bell could be. 

I don't think a true WR 1 is necessary. How many teams with these WR 1 made the playoffs or went deep.

Jones, Beckham, Brown, Green, Evans. No coincidence that all these players were mentioned in potential trades on this forum.

And I believe the defense will be more than good enough. 

Good post @JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF

Yup...good post yourself.

That quote unquote #1 WR is fascinatingly often a DETRIMENT to a team making a deep playoff run, and I think I know why, not only do opponents put so many resources on them  and game plan to shut them down, these guys are mostly divas and when they don’t get their looks/targets they start sqwauking and actually become a hindrance to the team itself.  Them “getting their numbers” seems to supersede the team actually winning.

I mentioned that Robby Anderson can take the top off ANY D, well I think he does that better than any of the so-called #1 WR’s (and there really aren’t many true #1’s), and once you have a guy who can do that and you complement him with guys who can do damage catching the ball short and intermediate which ALL the other Jet receivers can do very well, along with an occasional deep ball......do you really need that “glamorous” #1 WR?  I don’t think so.

7 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Getting rid of Todd Bowles wins us 4 more games at least

This.

Bell and Osemele will help. CJ Mosley will help. If Crowder can stay healthy, he’s a decent weapon. 

But really, our biggest get was a competent coaching staff.

We’re halfway into March, so it’s really early for this, but I think we’re in that 6-8 win range... Maybe more like 9-10 wins if Sam plays like week 16 2018 Sam. 

Winning 6 to 8 games isn't enough for Mac to save his job. I would imagine the unspoken "expectation" of Jets fans will be playoffs in 2019 or the fire Mac crowd will get too loud for Chris to ignore.

14 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

As a result of this FA push, how much better is this team? In the win column that is. Ultimately any move any football team makes is in an effort to win more football games.

Does this make this team bound for the playoffs? Or is this just a waste of money?

My feeling as of right now they still have nobody at corner and they let two of their best players walk. The ST will most certainly take a hit. The secondary should get lit up like a Christmas tree.

Honestly, I don't see this team being much better before the draft. Maybe one more win? What are your thoughts?

I think it may come down to coaching as much as anything - as I think if the big offseason additions stay healthy the roster is better. 

With Bowles & his staff leading a shoddy roster in recent years, the Jets didn't have a chance.

With Gase & Gregg Williams leading what looks like a better roster on paper right now, will Jets be better? Because great coaching goes a long way. As Bum Phillips said about Bear Bryant: "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." 

There is barely a point in having a dedicated kick off returner.  I bet if you looked at it closely, its better to down the ball and take it at the 25 almost all of the time.  Waste of a roster spot.  Whoever is running kicks has to be able to do something else productively.

14 hours ago, Team archer said:

What was our record 4-12? Unless we get a number 1 reciever to unstack the box vs Bell, i think at best we are 7-9/8-8. An emerging reciever would help us so much. Plus if we dont have a good pass rush, our cornersWILL get torched every game.

The No. 1 receiver thing is slightly overrated IMHO. Plenty of recent playoff 'final 4' teams haven't had the true No. 1 WR. In today's game it's more about creating a fleet of receiving weapons at each skill position such as the Pats: Edelman, Gronk, James White, etc. Or KC, New Orleans, Rams.

The Jets have the makings of such a pass-catching fleet, but it's based on a lot of IFs. If Enunwa & Crowder can stay healthy, if Anderson doesn't disappear (tho I imagine that was J Bates' fault too), if Herndon develops. No IFs for the receiving weapon RB - Bell is as good as anyone.

15 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I think the coaching combined with the FA moves make this team a viable wild card contender prior to the draft. Hard to judge this offseason and team prior to the draft and end of FA. Defense will be improved with Williams as our DC, Poole is an upgrade over Skrine, Johnson should play better and maybe Jets add another CB but Roberts could be solid there, year 3 Jamal Adams enough said, Jets could draft Allen and him with Jenkins, Mosley, Williamson, Anderson, and Williams is a formidable front 7 that could really affect the passing game. Offense with Osemele, Bell, and Crowder with Gase calling the plays instead of Bates with year 2 Darnold should make the offense special.

15 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You see this team had needs virtually everywhere, this fa period is definitely a step in the right direction, but I can't see it making a difference in the win column.

Now I think that is spot on. Maccagnan has done such a horrid job of drafting the roster had holes across the board before FA. Certainly he's added some major talent, but there are still gaping holes at pass rush, CB and o-line. Osemele alone doesn't seem near enough to improve the o line. I think the rest of the line is between average and below average. So that's a major issue right there along with the aforementioned problems. Highly unlikely Macc can solve all these issues between now and week 1.

15 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I Agree. Losing Jason Myers, a journeyman kicker that had 1 good year, is going to offset whatever Leveon Bell/Mosley/Crowder/Osemele bring to the table. 

Take a look at every roster. They all have holes. We won 4 games last year with a rookie QB and a trash roster. The roster is much better and we have a QB that should be taking the next step. Not to mention we have the 3rd pick in the draft which means we will either be adding an elite level talent on defense or trading back and filling multiple holes. 

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Let’s tier this:

The issue is, how do these collection of 70% good, 30% meh players come together as a team? For instance, you only listed one OL which means the other 4 fall into that 30%. This has been my biggest issue with Mac. He collects nice pieces here and there but they just doesn't come together to form a respectable product.

The signing period has only just begun though, so not going to draw conclusion yet. They really need to hit a couple of home runs in the draft.

15 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The Jets, like most other perennially struggling teams have cultural, systemic issues that can't be cured easily. My hope is "Dawgs" like Jamal Adams, CJ Mosley etc etc can rid the franchise of the stench that was Todd Bowles and his lethargy. 

It’s too early to judge. But I’ll give it a shot. Players like Bell, CJ and Bellamy (read what his teammate have to say about him) will go a long way in changing the culture of this team. Much of our success next year is going to be Darnolds development. He can take a huge leap and put us in the playoffs by himself. 

From a player quality standpoint, I think we’ve improved a couple of games. 

Theres also coaching. Bowles hurt this team being so conservative and leaving Long in there way too long.

That’s just too many variables. This team can win anywhere between 6 to 10 games. If we get an average C and two good edge players, I would say this is a borderline playoff team. Partly because I expect Darnold to improve a great deal. We saw it towards the end of last season.

12 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I agree with this. Roberts and Myers are pretty much "fly by night" players. But I'm still worried about ST as a whole.Without those two I see 2015 all over again?

I also agree that this teams success/failure has nothing to do with the players they just added through FA. This has everything to do with SAMMY DARNOLD. What kind of sophomore leap the kid makes will define the 2019 season. Bell, Mosley, so on and so forth are nothing more than support players to make things easier on Sammy. Sammy and only SAMMY will make this team better.

ST we have a good coach, and we kept him. My bet is we will be top half of the league if not top ten again.

Wait, wait, wait

So the Jets add arguably the best RB in the league, an all-pro LG, a Top 3 ILB, and a solid young slot receiver...but the losses of a 31 year old kick returner and a wildly inconsistent placekicker prior to last season cancel all of that out?

Jesus Christ on a cracker

19 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

All depends on Sam... If Sam plays like he did at the end of the year the team was already a few wins better before the additions. 

But yes, they surely need CB help still (although I like the Poole signing), and another piece or two on the OL, among other things.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Gase gets Darnold to play well: 8-10 wins

If Gase doesn’t get Darnold to play well: 4-6 wins

Nothing else the Jets did moved the needle.

And honestly that's the way I feel? I'm a QB driven league, young QB's need to take the next step in year 2. Without Sammy's improved play, the defense stacks the box and Bell is crippled. A QB feeds the running game and vice versa. Most of the posters on this site are jaded, blinded by what they added. They haven't stepped back and more calmly formulated their thoughts.

Archived