CB Poole to the Jets

Team archer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

This modest number of penalties for Buster shocks me. Must not include the 25 declined penalties that resulted in a completed long pass. Skrine was almost comical with his constant grabbing.

My 12 year old calls Buster the KING of pass interference!

Lots of penalties last year... But for a 3rd corner in the slot for 3.5 million? I'm okay with it! Fills a need for sure.

Also... If you look at the total offensive stats across the league last year everything was up... It's hard being a CB these days. 

Well now that Poole is on board. I hope he will not be Mr. 3rd Down and 16.  The Zebra see's defensive holding.  First down.  Skrine at his finest.  I know everyone wants Bosa, Allen or Williams.  If we can trade down and grab Greedy and an O-Lineman.  I think that would be Ideal.  Now we have a number 2 corner possibly move to one once TJ is gone.

1 hour ago, Team archer said:

That 3rd rd pick needs to be a Center

This is why they need to trade back and acquire picks. The chances of any 3rd round pick ever becoming a starter in the NFL is like 15%. We could do a lot with a couple of extra 2nd round picks this year.

Always good to get another potentially good player but being the a$$hole naysayer I am....

Trade a 5th rounder for rashard robinson

Use a pick on nickerson, use a pick on Clark, use a pick on Jones, use a pick on burris.

We have to sign these guys because virtually none of macs draft picks work out.

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I know almost nothing about this player. Watching this video one thing that stands out to me is his frame. He is not the typical slot/nickel CB body type. He seems much more stout especially when comparing him to a Buster skrine. When you look at adding this guy and CJ Mosely, added to the idea that Lee is not the type of player we like, it seems like we are creating a Defense predicated on having more of a physical presence. 

Bowles liked speed and hybrid guys. He did well with that idea in Arizona, but it just never worked here. Bowles/Rodgers seemed lost even though many of the players brought in were clearly to match what they were trying to accomplish. Lee is the epitome of that thought process imo. 

Poole seems very aggressive as is Mosely, which matches that idea that William's wants his defense to attack the offense. I was hoping for Callahan, who at 185 lbs fits my normal idea of a nickel back and is the same size as Skrine. Poole at 205, if he has the quickness, can really lay a higher level of wood which might be a nice wrinkle we are not used to having around here. I like it. 

3 hours ago, Barkus said:

don't know much about this guy. I assume he will be slot (nickel) corner? Roberts will be #2 corner?

Slot. I was hoping we'd get Callahan. Definitely would have been an upgrade over Buster. Don't know that much about Poole. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

This is why they need to trade back and acquire picks. The chances of any 3rd round pick ever becoming a starter in the NFL is like 15%. We could do a lot with a couple of extra 2nd round picks this year.

I just dont see a team trading up unless its the Giants..and the giants org is currently on a drug binge

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

He can’t be worse than Skrine. I think we need to bring Claiborne back. 

This wouldn’t be an issue if that **** Johnson is worth 1/10 of his contact. Piece of hot garbage. 

I hope we can get out of that contact following this upcoming season. He’s absolutely STEALING money from the Jets. 

Relax Eman. Let's see how Tru does under Greg Williams. If he's a fail I'll drive the bus to get him out of town.

32 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I know almost nothing about this player. Watching this video one thing that stands out to me is his frame. He is not the typical slot/nickel CB body type. He seems much more stout especially when comparing him to a Buster skrine. When you look at adding this guy and CJ Mosely, added to the idea that Lee is not the type of player we like, it seems like we are creating a Defense predicated on having more of a physical presence. 

Bowles liked speed and hybrid guys. He did well with that idea in Arizona, but it just never worked here. Bowles/Rodgers seemed lost even though many of the players brought in were clearly to match what they were trying to accomplish. Lee is the epitome of that thought process imo. 

Poole seems very aggressive as is Mosely, which matches that idea that William's wants his defense to attack the offense. I was hoping for Callahan, who at 185 lbs fits my normal idea of a nickel back and is the same size as Skrine. Poole at 205, if he has the quickness, can really lay a higher level of wood which might be a nice wrinkle we are not used to having around here. I like it. 

You and I were on the same page. Wait till the Bears find out how much better Callahan was than Skrine. Definite downgrade.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You and I were on the same page. Wait till the Bears find out how much better Callahan was than Skrine. Definite downgrade.

Yeah, that move seems odd to me too. There might be something up with Bryce Callahan that we don't know.  The Jets weren't showing much interest in him either and he's still out there. He seems like a solid option at the nickel, but they thought Skrine was a better option and grabbed him very quickly. 

Skrine was one of, if not the first CB signed in FA.  WTF is up with that? 

4 hours ago, The Walrus said:

hIf a player doesn't average per season at least 3 penalties for roughing the passer or late hits across the middle then I'm not interested.

Welcome to the board Mr. Williams,  Why the extra G?

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Similar coaching tree I believe, Seattle teaches a similar technique to one used by Greg so there will be some technique and scheme similarity making it a good fit 

Seattle? He came from Atlanta.  You mean because of Quinn? The DB coaches are ex-Jet Jerome Henderson (he coached our DBs under Mangini) and Doug Mallory.  Neither was with the Seahawks.  Poole doesn't exactly fit the Seahawks mold.  His arms are so short that he probably would be off their board entirely.  He seems tough, but his burst score and catch radius were 0 percentile.  His vertical was sub-30".  His agility score is pretty bad too - 10th percentile.

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You know what @Skeptable? You're a d**k. We're having a conversation, you're included in it. Nobody is arguing, and still you go off with your neg react bulls**t like you did with the post above.

I've told you this before, if you're not intelligent enough to keep up or engage in the conversation, just walk away. 

Then do me a favor and put me on ignore so I don't have to deal with your stupidity.

It's a new rep, just put him on ignore and and move on.

I've stayed up all night in the past working on server issues. Then received neg rep for taking too long lol.

Good signing. A tough little dude who covers well enough and hits like a train.

Falcons wanted him back but, bizarrely, opted to low ball him by not even applying the low tender of $2M.

They tried to get him back on the cheap, and got burned.

Good for us, stupid by them.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Welcome to the board Mr. Williams,  Why the extra G?

Seattle? He came from Atlanta.  You mean because of Quinn? The DB coaches are ex-Jet Jerome Henderson (he coached our DBs under Mangini) and Doug Mallory.  Neither was with the Seahawks.  Poole doesn't exactly fit the Seahawks mold.  His arms are so short that he probably would be off their board entirely.  He seems tough, but his burst score and catch radius were 0 percentile.  His vertical was sub-30".  His agility score is pretty bad too - 10th percentile.

It’s not the style of the player it’s the technique they teach for playing the position. Quinn coming from Seattle teaches the technique similarly to what Greg does. Just because the d backs coach didn’t come there doesn’t mean they teach their own tech. It’s what the DC wants. I’m just saying that’s probably why he was a target, and not some of the other corners.  

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah, that move seems odd to me too. There might be something up with Bryce Callahan that we don't know.  The Jets weren't showing much interest in him either and he's still out there. He seems like a solid option at the nickel, but they thought Skrine was a better option and grabbed him very quickly. 

Skrine was one of, if not the first CB signed in FA.  WTF is up with that? 

I believe Callahan had a foot injury that ended his season last year, maybe he has some sketchy medicals??

Lets not talk ourselves into thinking this kid is going to be great. Some of you build expectations up way too high this guy is not elite. For all the crap everyone gave buster skrine he wasn't really terrible people just built up unrealistic expectations for him and forgot that he was a scrub who could not keep a roster slot on a bad cle team

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

There's a lot of posts about penalties here comparing Skrine and Poole ...

Skrine had 7 flags, none declined. 1 was ST, 6 were Defense.

Poole had 8 flags, 3 declined. 1 was ST, 7 were Defense.

Skrine had 3 PI, 1 Def Holding, 1 Face Mask (15 yard variety) and 1 Roughing the Passer.

Poole had 3 Def Holding, 1 Illegal Contact, 1 Unnecessary Roughness, 1 Roughing the Passer and 1 Horse Collar Tackle.

Main difference is no PI calls ... those are the big yardage penalties (Skrine = 66 yards on 3). 

You could say Poole's penalties are more a bit more "physical" ones. :-)

On the plus side, 3 sacks and 3 INTs from Poole vs. 0.5 sack and 1 FF from Skrine, plus 74 tackles vs. 58 (though mostly extra assists).

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

It's a new rep, just put him on ignore and and move on.

I've stayed up all night in the past working on server issues. Then received neg rep for taking too long lol.

Seriously... I give 1 neg rep to him and he blows up, wth... Sorry I disagree... I don't understand the over-sensitivity and then taking it personal and attacking me... why is that ok?

For what its worth:

From Walter Football:

jetsb_logo.gif Jets sign CB Brian Poole (1 year, $3.5 million): A Grade 
The Jets had poor play from their slot cornerback position last year, but that will unlikely be the case in 2019. Brian Poole will be a huge upgrade over Buster Skrine. 

Poole had enjoyed two solid seasons with the Falcons prior to 2018. Poole regressed a bit last year, possibly because half of Atlanta's defense was out with injuries. Poole figures to bounce back, meaning he'll provide a huge boost in the slot over what the team had last year at an extremely cheap price. 

Comment on the other free agent signings below. 

Follow me @walterfootball for more hiring/signing grades and updates. Also, you can Support Us on Patreon here! 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5iFRDdh95

Seriously... I give 1 neg rep to him and he blows up, wth... Sorry I disagree... I don't understand the over-sensitivity and then taking it personal and attacking me... why is that ok?
I already addressed this and asked him to put you on ignore. You should probably add him to ignore as well and just move on.

Sent from my XT1650 using JetNation.com mobile app

We didn't need to spend big on every open spot on the field.  I like the idea of getting an upgrade over Skrine (not hard to do I, get it) on the cheap.  Our cap space isn't limitless. 

Unlike Kacy Rodgers, Gregg Williams shouldn't need expensive players at every spot on the defense.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Lets not talk ourselves into thinking this kid is going to be great. Some of you build expectations up way too high this guy is not elite. For all the crap everyone gave buster skrine he wasn't really terrible people just built up unrealistic expectations for him and forgot that he was a scrub who could not keep a roster slot on a bad cle team

You pay for what you get.  He's coming in cheap.  We just need him to be "OK".  I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. 

Archived