CB Poole to the Jets

Team archer

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We didn't need to spend big on every open spot on the field.  I like the idea of getting an upgrade over Skrine (not hard to do I, get it) on the cheap.  Our cap space isn't limitless. 

Unlike Kacy Rodgers, Gregg Williams shouldn't need expensive players at every spot on the defense.

He will also bench players that aren't playing well... instead of forcing them in there because they get paid more or are veterans...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing to keep in mind re penalties.....Poole had 8 last year while Skrine had 7 but Poole played about half the snaps that Skrine did so that is def worrysome.....none the less Poole hits like a mack truck and seems to be a def upgrade.

18 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Don't forget it's probable we are trading Darron Lee.  I would not be surprised if people show interest in the 3rd/4th round range.  In the right scheme he would be a good player for someone (more of a 4-3 Vilma type than a 3-4 ILB)...

improbable, IMO.

I would be shocked if there's much interest at all, let allone in the 3rd/4th rounds.  I think the reality would be 6th, maybe 5th.  He's not very good. And he has had his first drug suspension.  Next one is a long one, so add that in as a risk factor.  6th round.  Horrible draft pick by Mac.  I wonder how much Bowles influenced it.  But Mac yields.  Always. Maybe he has to under the Chriswoody chain of command fantasy rules.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

one thing to keep in mind re penalties.....Poole had 8 last year while Skrine had 7 but Poole played about half the snaps that Skrine did so that is def worrysome.....none the less Poole hits like a mack truck and seems to be a def upgrade.

Thanks for the info. And I thought Skrine was terrible with all the penalties.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

improbable, IMO.

I would be shocked if there's much interest at all, let allone in the 3rd/4th rounds.  I think the reality would be 6th, maybe 5th.  He's not very good. And he has had his first drug suspension.  Next one is a long one, so add that in as a risk factor.  6th round.  Horrible draft pick by Mac.  I wonder how much Bowles influenced it.  But Mac yields.  Always. Maybe he has to under the Chriswoody chain of command fantasy rules.

Good point on the drug suspension. But I'm not sure I agree on his value.  It's like some of the comments over on the other thread about PFF.  We see him every Sunday and he fails the eyeball test. But relative to all the other LB's in the league he rates above average.  It makes me think someone committed to a 4-3 would value a guy like Lee's side-to-side speed.  Maybe someone like Spagnuolo at KC for example...

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Good point on the drug suspension. But I'm not sure I agree on his value.  It's like some of the comments over on the other thread about PFF.  We see him every Sunday and he fails the eyeball test. But relative to all the other LB's in the league he rates above average.  It makes me think someone committed to a 4-3 would value a guy like Lee's side-to-side speed.  Maybe someone like Spagnuolo at KC for example...

I agree 100% that Lee needs to be in a different scheme.  Because he isn't good at all in the Bowles defense. Willing to let Robinson decide. And if he decides to have him stay, looking forward to seeing what he can do to improve him. 

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

But he still had the same number of solo tackles, many more assists, 2.5 more sacks and 3 more INTs in those snaps.

His penalties seemed to be more "physical" penalties like roughing and horse-collar tackles ... I guess it goes hand in hand with his playing style.

43 minutes ago, jamesr said:

But he still had the same number of solo tackles, many more assists, 2.5 more sacks and 3 more INTs in those snaps.

His penalties seemed to be more "physical" penalties like roughing and horse-collar tackles ... I guess it goes hand in hand with his playing style.

This is an excellent point......as I said he seems like a substantial upgrade to me but all I know is what I read here and elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

This is an excellent point......as I said he seems like a substantial upgrade to me but all I know is what I read here and elsewhere.

You and me both ... I was going to post that maybe Williams could coach the guy to clean up his tackling & cut down on the penalties. Then I realised that's not all that likely to happen, given Williams' style of defense! :D

22 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Poole signed with the Falcons as an undrafted free agent in 2016, after playing football for the Gators under Will Muschamp. During his NFL career, he has 198 total tackles, five sacks, 20 pass break-ups and four picks. Basically plays nickel and slot corner, so probably a replacement for Skrine.

Who’s Skrine? Do you mean Scrub?

18 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He hits like a safety 

A few of his draft profiles suggested him at safety and said teams would probably try him in the slot because he is so short.  He was a Gator, no?  Did @JiF say anything about him? 

16 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Lets not talk ourselves into thinking this kid is going to be great. Some of you build expectations up way too high this guy is not elite. For all the crap everyone gave buster skrine he wasn't really terrible people just built up unrealistic expectations for him and forgot that he was a scrub who could not keep a roster slot on a bad cle team

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

The walter football thing was interesting.  I think we all got down on Skrine from that game where he had several PIs on successive drives.  It is hard to ever see a guy as competent after that.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:38 AM, #27TheDominator said:

A few of his draft profiles suggested him at safety and said teams would probably try him in the slot because he is so short.  He was a Gator, no?  Did @JiF say anything about him? 

The walter football thing was interesting.  I think we all got down on Skrine from that game where he had several PIs on successive drives.  It is hard to ever see a guy as competent after that.

Yep, he was a good player for the Gators.  I was pretty surprised when he went undrafted.

I think he's a slight upgrade over Skrine.

Archived