Jump to content
rayzor

Chandler Catanzaro - our New Old Kicker

Recommended Posts

He was decent I recall.  Meyers replaced him!  He completed 83.3 % of his field goals in 2017.  What's interesting is apparently he didn't re-sign in 2018 because he "didn't like to kick in cold weather ".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80% + FGs eacch of the last two years, but he missed 5 XPs last year.  Not likely to give us as good a season as Myers did last year, but might be equal to what Myers would have given us this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ross Martin for the low low 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

He was decent I recall.  Meyers replaced him!  He completed 83.3 % of his field goals in 2017.  What's interesting is apparently he didn't re-sign in 2018 because he "didn't like to kick in cold weather ".  

Global warming for the win.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Ross Martin for the low low 

Have them both in camp and compete. I have liked what I’ve seen from Martin, but weren’t his kickoffs weak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they bring in another guy during camp. He was much better the year we had him than he was last year 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Global warming for the win.

I wanted to give this an LOL rating but it's really no laughing matter.....none the less nyc, good quip :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was decent two years ago, and of the few things the Jets deserve credit for, it's getting good seasons out of otherwise struggling kickers.  Each of Folk, Catanzaro, and Myers saw a huge improvement when they came here, and in the case of the first two, immediately regressed to their mean after they left.  I guess we might end up seeing whether they can make that happen twice over with the same guy.

I'm sure they'll also pick up an undrafted rookie to come in and compete with him for the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bleedin Green said:

He was decent two years ago, and of the few things the Jets deserve credit for, it's getting good seasons out of otherwise struggling kickers.  Each of Folk, Catanzaro, and Myers saw a huge improvement when they came here, and in the case of the first two, immediately regressed to their mean.  I guess we might end up seeing whether they can make that happen twice over with the same guy.

I'm sure they'll also pick up an undrafted rookie to come in and compete with him for the spot.

So what all this really means is that we gotta hold on to our ST CS no mattter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a strong legged kicker who actually has a chance to make his extra points.  Myers has a howitzer for a leg, but Catanzaro is a reasonable facsimile.  This is a good move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing for sure, Robert's won't  be returning any kickoffs from this guy. Regularly kicks it out of the end zone. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I hope they bring in another guy during camp. He was much better the year we had him than he was last year 

Ross for another try? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Strong leg. I liked him. Slightly inaccurate at times but really strong leg.

He was fine. IIRC his accuracy seemed worse because he went 2-for-4, with 2 missed longer kicks in a monsoon vs Atlanta. In games without that stormy weather he was 23/26. Another miss came in a meaningless week 17 game we entered with a 5-10 record and were probably going to lose anyway. First glance it looks like all his misses - including the 2 Atlanta ones - were from 45+ which is fine for consistency.

I liked Myers, but if he is again 100% inside 45, and still making most of the rest in normal conditions from 45 all the way to 57 yards, that should suffice. 

What's of greater concern than anything from 2018 was his performance with Tampa in 2017. 7/8 from 30-39, 0-3 40-49, and 2 missed XPs. He did settle down with Carolina, so hopefully we're just not getting the Tampa version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was fine. IIRC his accuracy seemed worse because he went 2-for-4, with 2 missed longer kicks in a monsoon vs Atlanta. In games without that stormy weather he was 23/26. Another miss came in a meaningless week 17 game we entered with a 5-10 record and were probably going to lose anyway. First glance it looks like all his misses - including the 2 Atlanta ones - were from 45+ which is fine for consistency.

I liked Myers, but if he is again 100% inside 45, and still making most of the rest in normal conditions from 45 all the way to 57 yards, that should suffice. 

What's of greater concern than anything from 2018 was his performance with Tampa in 2017. 7/8 from 30-39, 0-3 40-49, and 2 missed XPs. He did settle down with Carolina, so hopefully we're just not getting the Tampa version.

Seems like we always get our kickers to play decently. The Boyer effect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Seems like we always get our kickers to play decently. The Boyer effect?

Couldn't say.

Whatever it is, Tampa has the opposite with kickers they sign off the Jets' FA list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why we only signed him for 1 year.  We'll have to go through this again next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myers got 5.5 Mil in year 1... guaranteed... they can cut him after that with no cap hit... but it would be less advantageous to do so because each year he stays the annual salary goes down. 5.5 for a kicker is stupid money... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catanzaro career FGpct 83.8, XPpct 92.9

Myers career FGpct 84.3, XPpct 87.6

I liked Myers but no one should act like they can predict how random guys like Myers/Catanzaro will do from 1 year to the next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked Myers and was sorry to see him leave.  At 5.5 million dollars, the Jets had no choice.  Tampa "poisoned " the contract so that the Jets would not match.  Good job by them.  Catanzaro was more than adequate, just wasn't crazy about the inconsistency.  Never had the same confidence in him that Myers gave.  Leg strength is there, so that's good.  Definitely not an upgrade.  If he has a  great season, it will be a  push, but I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I wonder why we only signed him for 1 year.  We'll have to go through this again next season?

He got cut mid-season by the Bucs last year, so he's really done nothing to deserve any more than that.  I have little doubt they'll be looking to give him competition in camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been troubled to nail down this guy’s actual name. Like it plays in my head as Cantazaro but I know that’s not right and I just don’t care. That’s my level of engagement with this crap right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone cares, Catanzaro signed for 1 year/$2.3M. Includes a $500K signing bonus and $1.8M base salary ($100K guaranteed). ThIs saves them $3.2M relative to what Jason Meyers got.  Did we overpay??  Dan Bailey only cost the Vikings $1M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rayzor said:

If anyone cares, Catanzaro signed for 1 year/$2.3M. Includes a $500K signing bonus and $1.8M base salary ($100K guaranteed). ThIs saves them $3.2M relative to what Jason Meyers got.  Did we overpay??  Dan Bailey only cost the Vikings 1M

Surprised he got that much, considering this is a guy who was a midseason cut last year.  Not a big deal though, with the only disappointing part being with $600k already committed to him, whatever undrafted rookie they are sure to bring in to compete might have that working against him a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...