2019 Net Cap hit for Bell is only $5.5 million!

Jet Life Stadium

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

The more I read about the Bell deal and its structure, the more I am impressed.  Keep in mind that was decidedly opposed to signing Bell and investing in RB, but this structure makes a hell of a lot of sense.   After accounting for the starting bonus being distributed over the entire deal, cap it in 2019 is $8.5 million.  After cutting Crowell- savinging $3 million-  the net cost of Bell in 2019 is $5.5 million.  Considering the Seahawks are paying Jason Myers $4 million- not too shabby at all!

Not the Biggest fan of Mac, but Bell's deal is ridiculously good for the Jets.  We have him for his prime years of 27, 28, 29, and if need be we can release him before hes 30 if he isnt performing.  Absolutely love it.

While I definitely won't complain at all about the dollar amount of the contract, I actually dislike the concept of how little of it is on the books for this year, but rather in future years.  Now granted, for the salary portion, the backloading can work out if they end up deciding to cut him before the deal is done, so I get that part.  However, in terms of the guaranteed dollars paid this year, they should have had as much as possible hitting this year's cap too.  With the ridiculous amount of space they have right now, there's no reason to be rolling bonuses into future years.  All they would have needed to do is put his bonus money in as a day one roster bonus, as opposed to a signing bonus, and it puts it all onto this year's cap, and then there's even less to worry about regarding any hits for cuts in future years.

This is one of those cases where it seems like the Jets were more worried about what looked better, as a higher cap number this year might have been less exciting to those not paying too much attention, but would have been a smarter move, while not actually changing anything about how much money was being given (therefore, no additional risk for the Jets).

Don't get me wrong, despite my admitted distaste for Maccagnan, I am most certainly not saying this is any way a bad deal, but I just think the perception of the deal is a bit better than its reality, as Bell is getting paid a good amount more than that $8.5M this year.

53 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Not the Biggest fan of Mac, but Bell's deal is ridiculously good for the Jets.  We have him for his prime years of 27, 28, 29, and if need be we can release him before hes 30 if he isnt performing.  Absolutely love it.

Agreed.. Mac did a good job on this one ????

When you really break down the actual payments, this is Bell's "true contract"....

2 years, $26m fully guaranteed. Then a team option for year at $13.5m ($3m deduction if he holds out, $4m cap hit if not kept but no extra money owed), and a year 4 team option at $13m (same $3m deduction if he holds out, $2m cap hit if not kept but no extra money owed).

This also doesn't count the escalators and bonuses for big time performances that we'd all happily pay for!

8 minutes ago, TaborJet said:

This is too good to be true. I love the player and the signing, I just believe Bell will hold out after the '19 season for more. 

Just for the record, Bell was not a holdout in Pittsburgh. He simply refused to accept the franchise tag.

Archived