Justin Houston

SR24

Anybody hear anything about what he's asking for?! seems so weird I haven't heard a single thing about him making a visit or any teams even being interested. Guys the best F/A available and he's been a ghost. I'm assuming he's asking for an astronomical amount of money

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, usanyj said:

Vacchiano said he will probably command more than Barr. Costello said he doubts the jets look into him on Joe and Evan yesterday.

That makes more sense. Can't see anybody dishing out that kind of money for an often injured 30yr old. Guys a freak hopefully his price comes down 

The Jets clearly identified Barr as a guy who was worth giving a big contract to and Houston as someone who isn't, most likely because of his age. I'd love Houston but he's probably commanding more money than the Jets are willing to give him. He'd be great to add on a short term deal but if Houston is going to take a short term contract, it's probably not going to be with a team like the Jets. 

It looks like Macc has made a commitment to sign FA's who are young and can be here for a while. He learned his lesson from his first off season when he paid guys like Marshall, Revis, Cromartie who didn't have much time left. 

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

That makes more sense. Can't see anybody dishing out that kind of money for an often injured 30yr old. Guys a freak hopefully his price comes down 

It may come down, Vac was saying guys like Shane Ray and Ziggy may have to lower their prices too.  Still solid guys out there.  The second phase of free agency is where teams are made.  Poole could be a good signing for us, young and has showed flashes.  Still have a ton of work to do but excited where it is going

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Anybody hear anything about what he's asking for?! seems so weird I haven't heard a single thing about him making a visit or any teams even being interested. Guys the best F/A available and he's been a ghost. I'm assuming he's asking for an astronomical amount of money

There have been some Steeler and Pats rumors swirling but just seems to be smoke, nothing real attached to them

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets clearly identified Barr as a guy who was worth giving a big contract to and Houston as someone who isn't, most likely because of his age. I'd love Houston but he's probably commanding more money than the Jets are willing to give him. He'd be great to add on a short term deal but if Houston is going to take a short term contract, it's probably not going to be with a team like the Jets. 

It looks like Macc has made a commitment to sign FA's who are young and can be here for a while. He learned his lesson from his first off season when he paid guys like Marshall, Revis, Cromartie who didn't have much time left. 

All we can do is hope his price drops. Adding him and Bosa/Allen would be devastating 

15 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Vacchiano said he will probably command more than Barr. Costello said he doubts the jets look into him on Joe and Evan yesterday.

Costello is a hack... and Vacchiano is right he will want somewhere in the range 13-15 Mil a year and probably a 4 year deal.

I don't think Jets want Houston. Like an earlier post said, they've had a ton of time to evaluate the market and Houston still isn't a Jet, nor has he visited. Sounds like they made a call and heard what he wanted and walked away. They may circle back if no one gives him that money but I don't see it. I agree with everyone here I'd give him 4 years, how many guys have we seen be effective pass rushers in the mid 30s Demarcus Ware and Cameron Wake immediately come to mind. 

'

11 minutes ago, usanyj said:

It may come down, Vac was saying guys like Shane Ray and Ziggy may have to lower their prices too.  Still solid guys out there.  The second phase of free agency is where teams are made.  Poole could be a good signing for us, young and has showed flashes.  Still have a ton of work to do but excited where it is going

Ray or Ansah at around 10 Mil would be great but I bet they are looking in the 13+ Mil range. Plus there is all that talk around Ansah and how he takes a lot of plays off...

37 minutes ago, usanyj said:

For a short term deal with an out, I see no reason not too. We have so much cap and glaring holes. Give him $13-15mil per for 3 years with an out after 2. We need talent at all costs and don’t have to worry about the cap for s few years. 

This gives us draft flexibility in case we are lucky enough to have a trade down option. We aren’t stuck reaching because we have zero pass rush. Houston alone would help greatly compared to the trash that we had last year. It wouldn’t be a “good deal” but would fill a major need and be better than rolling over a sh*t ton of money again. 

39 minutes ago, SR24 said:

What about Wisniewski? You hear anything or should I start a new thread asking about it? 

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

What about Wisniewski? You hear anything or should I start a new thread asking about it? 

I haven't really head much about anyone lately! kinda weird we were so active and now it's the quiet calm

22 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

How many guys have we seen be effective pass rushers in the mid 30s Demarcus Ware and Cameron Wake immediately come to mind. 

'

More recent:

Robert Mathis

Dwight Freeney

John Abraham

Julius Peppers

James Harrison

Many older ones as well

38 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Ray or Ansah at around 10 Mil would be great but I bet they are looking in the 13+ Mil range. Plus there is all that talk around Ansah and how he takes a lot of plays off...

Detroit didn't want Ansah and signed Flowers for a boatload of money.  I get the Patricia connection with Flowers but it still says something about Ansah.

19 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I haven't really head much about anyone lately! kinda weird we were so active and now it's the quiet calm

2nd and 3rd tier FA's is much more of a shell game. You allow the market to dictate the reality. 

First round of FA's you gobble and pay, because someone else will.

44 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

You might be right, but how could Ray ask for that much? The guy really hasn't done much. Injuries obviously has something to do with it.

Ansah on other hand has put together a couple of good seasons.

Happy with either.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Detroit didn't want Ansah and signed Flowers for a boatload of money.  I get the Patricia connection with Flowers but it still says something about Ansah.

Yeah I wouldn't want him... but maybe with a Hardcore coach like Williams that will bench him and a leader like Mosley it will light a fire under his ass.... give him a 1-2 year prove it deal. benefits both him (ups his value for next offseason) and the Jets will have another pass rusher opposite Bosa/Allen/Sweat whoever they draft that will take over for the ansah role by the end of the year.

Just now, RichardTodd27 said:

You might be right, but how could Ray ask for that much? The guy really hasn't done much. Injuries obviously has something to do with it.

Ansah on other hand has put together a couple of good seasons.

Happy with either.

Pass rushing Market... just avg price for a pass rusher... Ray is essentially better than Copeland and Copeland is probably looking for at least 9 a year..

I think Mac is done handing out big contracts. We are going thrift shopping and monitoring the trade market as well as a potential trade down. I expect a big draft trade by Mac which will involve the 3rd overall pick. The Cardinals and 49ers are NOT picking Kyler Murray or Dwayne Haskins. Here is how I see the first 2 picks of the draft going:

1. Arizona Cardinals: Nick Bosa, DE/3-4OLB, Ohio State 

Note: They are not pulling the plug on Rosen after 1 year. They'll select the best edge rusher! in the draft.

2. San Francisco 49ers: Quinnen Williams, DT/3-4DE , Alabama

Note: John Lynch played with Warren Sapp and he will build his defense around that beast.

3. New York Jets: Draft Josh Allen or trade down to with the Giants, Lions, Redskins, Bengals, Broncos, or Dolphins. 

The choice for Mac is an easy one. Trade down and turn one pick (3rd overall) into 2 to 3 picks.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Ray is a headcase and injured a lot. I would look into Shaquille barrett he has potential. 

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wasn't there rumors around the time he was drafted that he might actually be older than he was listed as (was born overseas)?

Found an article: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/old-lions-ziggy-ansah-ghanaian-reports-raise-doubt-real-age-164843693.html

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Last I heard his destination was the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Archived