2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Perfect time to take a break from this team.

Got them coming here to Chicago this week.  Maybe my last weekend of showing any major interest in the season -- got tix for Thursday night.  Going to try to skip work on Friday and catch the day game -- because even a bad day at the ballpark is better than a good day in the office.  Chill out in the bleachers at Wrigley.  Couple of beers, couple of dogs, makes for a good day no matter what happens on the field.

• Sympathy 3

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Got them coming here to Chicago this week.  Maybe my last weekend of showing any major interest in the season -- got tix for Thursday night.  Going to try to skip work on Friday and catch the day game -- because even a bad day at the ballpark is better than a good day in the office.  Chill out in the bleachers at Wrigley.  Couple of beers, couple of dogs, makes for a good day no matter what happens on the field.

I sat on one of the rooftops a few years ago. 

Cool event to do...once. Couldn’t really see much of the game but had a great time. 

Much prefer being in the friendly confines. 

Beer garden after was great too. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I sat on one of the rooftops a few years ago. 

Cool event to do...once. Couldn’t really see much of the game but had a great time. 

Much prefer being in the friendly confines. 

Beer garden after was great too. 

Been living out in Chicago area about 20 years; never been to one of the rooftops, and I would not want to go for a Met game -- for exactly the reason you mention.  I assume I would not see much of the game (might be a bonus right now).

Not a big fan of Wrigley; its a bucket list item for any baseball fan, but I am not thrilled with sight lines, seating options, obstructed views and I especially don't like the prices for the last few years since the Cubs have been good.  I love the neighborhood in and around the stadium, but the stadium itself is not one of my favorites.

So the Mets proved today that holding a team meeting on the day deGrom pitches is a smart move.

The big 3 (actually the only 3 in our lineup) Alonso, McNeill and Conforto all had big games. deGrom dominated a red hot lineup, so all is good... for a day.

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Been living out in Chicago area about 20 years; never been to one of the rooftops, and I would not want to go for a Met game -- for exactly the reason you mention.  I assume I would not see much of the game (might be a bonus right now).

Not a big fan of Wrigley; its a bucket list item for any baseball fan, but I am not thrilled with sight lines, seating options, obstructed views and I especially don't like the prices for the last few years since the Cubs have been good.  I love the neighborhood in and around the stadium, but the stadium itself is not one of my favorites.

+1 to this. As a nostalgic visit for a tourist, Wrigley is cool. Having to go and watch more than one game there is terrible. It’s an absolute sh*thole. 

The rooftops were cool until they blocked them off. You used to be able to get good weekday deals on Groupon for them and it’s was worth it. Now not so much. 

Cubs fans are also drunken buffoons. Loveable they are not. Between all the vomiting and belligerent yelling they are the most annoying sports fans in the country. Between the stadium and the fans Cubs games are not a great experience. 

Sox fans on the otherhand are pretty on the level. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cubs fans are also drunken buffoons. Loveable they are not. Between all the vomiting and belligerent yelling they are the most annoying sports fans in the country. Between the stadium and the fans Cubs games are not a great experience. 

Where would you ever get that from?

9 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

It’s about time the Mets look to make some drastic moves.They have a good young core to build around  in DeGrom, Alonso, McNeil, and Conforto. 

And Dom Smith. Dom should be playing left field every day, McNeil 3rd base every day.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This team is better than this...

I honestly felt this way up to about a week ago, but now really think they are what they are. I'm 61, and have been a Mets fan for 55 years. I live and die with this team, as well as the Jets. My psychiatrist calls it the "Shea Stadium Principle." ? If you look at this team objectively, and follow the old baseball adage of strength up the middle, you can see why this team is where they are.  Catching..... Ramos may be the worst defensive catcher in MLB. Only thing saving him is that Nido can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. It's evident that the starters don't like throwing to Ramos. Jake won't put up with it anymore. Was Devin Messarocco the real reason this staff pitched so well last year? Ramos' hitting is why this position gets a grade of C-. 2nd base.....Cano, need we say more? Grade D. Shortstop......Rosario is a much better offensive player than he is a defender. It's scary how many balls he doesn't get to that most other MLB shortstops do. Since the number 1 prospect in the organization is a SS, Rosario's days at that position here seem numbered. I believe the Mets last year were toying with the idea of trying Rosario in CF, maybe that's something they may revisit, based on the fact we don't have a CF. Grade C   Center Field...... Gomez and Lagares are the same player, and neither one should be playing. They can't hit, are adequate, at best defensive players now, and basically don't add anything to this team. Grade D.  Starting Pitching.......Jake is great, period. Noah is great in his mind only. Wheeler and Matz have no guts, and Vargas has been tremendous. To be fair, the Ramos factor will let me grade this on a curve( pun intended)  C-. Bullpen....why waste the time  Grade F.  Alonzo, McNeil, Conforto and Dom(scary how the Mets can't seem to get a guy hitting .340 into the lineup everyday) have been great, and are blocks to build upon. Frazier and JD Davis are good depth guys. But the guys I graded above are the reasons this team is what it is, which is not good.  I know this may sound nuts, but if Calloway somehow survives the season and gets this team anywhere near .500, he should get a raise!

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

I honestly felt this way up to about a week ago, but now really think they are what they are. I'm 61, and have been a Mets fan for 55 years. I live and die with this team, as well as the Jets. My psychiatrist calls it the "Shea Stadium Principle." ? If you look at this team objectively, and follow the old baseball adage of strength up the middle, you can see why this team is where they are.  Catching..... Ramos may be the worst defensive catcher in MLB. Only thing saving him is that Nido can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. It's evident that the starters don't like throwing to Ramos. Jake won't put up with it anymore. Was Devin Messarocco the real reason this staff pitched so well last year? Ramos' hitting is why this position gets a grade of C-. 2nd base.....Cano, need we say more? Grade D. Shortstop......Rosario is a much better offensive player than he is a defender. It's scary how many balls he doesn't get to that most other MLB shortstops do. Since the number 1 prospect in the organization is a SS, Rosario's days at that position here seem numbered. I believe the Mets last year were toying with the idea of trying Rosario in CF, maybe that's something they may revisit, based on the fact we don't have a CF. Grade C   Center Field...... Gomez and Lagares are the same player, and neither one should be playing. They can't hit, are adequate, at best defensive players now, and basically don't add anything to this team. Grade D.  Starting Pitching.......Jake is great, period. Noah is great in his mind only. Wheeler and Matz have no guts, and Vargas has been tremendous. To be fair, the Ramos factor will let me grade this on a curve( pun intended)  C-. Bullpen....why waste the time  Grade F.  Alonzo, McNeil, Conforto and Dom(scary how the Mets can't seem to get a guy hitting .340 into the lineup everyday) have been great, and are blocks to build upon. Frazier and JD Davis are good depth guys. But the guys I graded above are the reasons this team is what it is, which is not good.  I know this may sound nuts, but if Calloway somehow survives the season and gets this team anywhere near .500, he should get a raise!

Well, when you put it that way...I'll just put this delicious bar of soap in my mouth and go about my day.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, when you put it that way...I'll just put this delicious bar of soap in my mouth and go about my day.

LOL...My attempt at being @Sperm Edwards wasn't a shot at you, it's just something I honestly feel. It kills me to watch this stuff.  The icing on the cake is that these last two years shows just how incredibly valuable Cespedes is to this team. That may be the final kick in the nuts.?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, we just fired Dave Eiland.  I guess all of our problems are solved now.

As I pointed out above, Mesorocco was far more important to this team then anybody knew. He’s really the only major difference as far as the pitchers go. Big mistake. Noah and Wheeler has career years with him, now they look like they should be in AAA.

Can’t believe they are turning this over to Phil”the vulture “Regan. Us old timers, who remember the 1969 season, know him as the Cubs closer in those days. They didn’t’ call guys that back then, but that’s what he was. Was ion that Cubs team that the Mets caught in 1969. 

Whether or not this is a "cover" for the ineptitude of Brody and our "Manager",  these firings are well deserved

The pitching staff from top to bottom is under performing.  The bullpen might be the worst in baseball. 

There have been no adjustments or improvements.  They can't even hold baserunners on.  They can't throw them out either.  The pitchers don't pitch inside.  They don't pitch quickly.  You could eat a sandwich between Familia's pitches.  They approach the game the same way every day expecting a different result.  It's not happening.

Coaches get paid to "coach".  There  does not appear to have been any coaching done with the pitching staff or with the bullpen this year.  If there was, no one was getting the message.  Based on either of those two scenarios it was time for a change.  Next....

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/19/2019 at 5:56 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

+1 to this. As a nostalgic visit for a tourist, Wrigley is cool. Having to go and watch more than one game there is terrible. It’s an absolute sh*thole. 

The rooftops were cool until they blocked them off. You used to be able to get good weekday deals on Groupon for them and it’s was worth it. Now not so much. 

Sox fans on the otherhand are pretty on the level. 

No way are they worse than Philly fans ; those buffoons .

20 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

WHERE WAS DIAZ ? WHERE WAS DIAZ ? WHERE WAS DIAZ ? WTF ? WTF ? WTF ? FIRE CALLAWAY NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

5 outs away from what could have been a season changing series at Wrigley.  Even if not season changing, still a chance at a really upbeat weekend at Wrigley.  And then it all comes crashing down.  Why is it that managers (I am talking about you MIckey) find it so hard to put their best reliever in the game in a tight spot with the game on the line if its earlier than the 9th inning.  One run lead, two runners on base, one of the Cubs best hitters coming up.  But its not the 9th inning, so you can't go with the closer.  He is the 9th inning guy.

And then, we completely embarrass ourselves in the locker room after the game.  Is anyone, anywhere discussing Pete Alonzo's record breaking afternoon.  No.  It is all about an altercation with a reporter in the locker room.  This team is toxic.  They need change -- and not just the new pitching coach.  Time to send Mickey packing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I'm not defending Calloway, b/c I do think he needs to go, but he likely just lost his cool after being grilled by the beat writers for his confusing bullpen use.  The team has already issued a public apology. If Calloway is not canned tomorrow, he'll probably personally apologize, as well.

However, what's with Vargas going all macho thug or whatever? That one may take more than an apology to make things good with the media and maybe MLB.

8 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I'm not defending Calloway, b/c I do think he needs to go, but he likely just lost his cool after being grilled by the beat writers for his confusing bullpen use.  The team has already issued a public apology. If Calloway is not canned tomorrow, he'll probably personally apologize, as well.

However, what's with Vargas going all macho thug or whatever? That one may take more than an apology to make things good with the media and maybe MLB.

Actually nice to see Vargas show some heart. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

How many times can you apologize for being a moron? 

19 hours ago, Lith said:

5 outs away from what could have been a season changing series at Wrigley.  Even if not season changing, still a chance at a really upbeat weekend at Wrigley.  And then it all comes crashing down.  Why is it that managers (I am talking about you MIckey) find it so hard to put their best reliever in the game in a tight spot with the game on the line if its earlier than the 9th inning.  One run lead, two runners on base, one of the Cubs best hitters coming up.  But its not the 9th inning, so you can't go with the closer.  He is the 9th inning guy.

And then, we completely embarrass ourselves in the locker room after the game.  Is anyone, anywhere discussing Pete Alonzo's record breaking afternoon.  No.  It is all about an altercation with a reporter in the locker room.  This team is toxic.  They need change -- and not just the new pitching coach.  Time to send Mickey packing.

Agree with all this, but every regime is the same with this awful rancid franchise. Nothing ever changes regardless of manager, regardless of gm.

Until the journos call the travesty that is the Wilpons out, over and over...and over again. Nothing will change.

• Sympathy 1