2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

Only way trading for stro makes sense to me is if we planned on flipping him again now that we essentially control the pitching market. More likely we will do something stupid now though like keep all of our starting pitchers and trade Diaz away while his value is at its lowest instead of hoping a young kid who had a rough year can bounce back for us next year. We have a few good young players we should be building around not making it so that our entire pitching core is ancient when our offense is hitting their prime.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Traded away our 2016 first round pick (# 4 prospect) as well as the # 6 prospect in the system.  Doubt either were going to end up much of anything, but then again Kay had TJ surgery so his development was delayed. 

When I said we seemed to not have given up much, I was going by what Keith Law wrote as far as the grade on these 2 top Mets pitching prospects. I think he had them in over 50 when evaluating Top 100 overall prospects. It's all a crapshoot!!

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Traded away our 2016 first round pick (# 4 prospect) as well as the # 6 prospect in the system.  Doubt either were going to end up much of anything, but then again Kay had TJ surgery so his development was delayed. 

Kay's OK, not amazing. Who knows with Richardson. Stroman for both seems like a pretty fair trade-off. It's a weird move but it's not like handing Kelenic over. That said Brodie has pretty much drained the farm the past year and it's all been in weird ******* moves.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Vargas to Philly for some AA catcher.

That catcher is hitting .195 in double A but is known for his defensive abilities. 

Wtf, not expecting a superstar but we just handed a division rival a starting pitcher who, truth be told, has been pretty good of late. 

Couldn’t we get a catcher hitting .245?

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That catcher is hitting .195 in double A but is known for his defensive abilities. 

Wtf, not expecting a superstar but we just handed a division rival a starting pitcher who, truth be told, has been pretty good of late. 

Couldn’t we get a catcher hitting .245?

A back end .500 pitcher in his mid-30’s isn’t going to bring much in return. At least it’s npt another 2nd basemen. Catching is a need

The Mets actually gave the Phillies enough (about 2mil) money to pay the rest of Vargas’ 2019 salary also. Phil’s will be stuck with his ‘20 option though, so Mets actually save another $2million on this deal.

Hard to know what the Mets are thinking though. Can’t say they’re trying for a WC when you give a division rival a decent starter for free basically.

Right now,  ‘20 rotation of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz and Strohman looks formidable. If they aren’t blown away by trade offers, why not go with that and try to fix the defense in the offseason?

This would make sense if the Wilson’s didn’t own the team, and they didn’t hate Thor, or had the money to resign Wheeler. Oh well....

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The Mets actually gave the Phillies enough (about 2mil) money to pay the rest of Vargas’ 2019 salary also. Phil’s will be stuck with his ‘20 option though, so Mets actually save another $2million on this deal.

Hard to know what the Mets are thinking though. Can’t say they’re trying for a WC when you give a division rival a decent starter for free basically.

Right now,  ‘20 rotation of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz and Strohman looks formidable. If they aren’t blown away by trade offers, why not go with that and try to fix the defense in the offseason?

This would make sense if the Wilson’s didn’t own the team, and they didn’t hate Thor, or had the money to resign Wheeler. Oh well....

That is arguably the best starting staff in MLB.  If Diaz returns to form next season, it would be ridiculously talented.  The question then, is can we 1) assemble just enough hitting and defense to support the pitching, and 2) Can the team avoid finding new and creative ways to suck for a week at a time long enough to stay in the race.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

That is arguably the best starting staff in MLB.  If Diaz returns to form next season, it would be ridiculously talented.  The question then, is can we 1) assemble just enough hitting and defense to support the pitching, and 2) Can the team avoid finding new and creative ways to suck for a week at a time long enough to stay in the race.

I agree. It’s a great rotation...today.

The problem is, can or will the Wilpon’s spend the money to sign Wheeler? Will they resign Strohman after next year? Will they trade Thor before the start of next season because he’ll want deGrom money?

If the Wilpon’s were the Steinbrenner family, we wouldn’t be that far away from a contender. Get a CF, a defensive catcher, and a SS who can field the position. Presto. 

Mets have to get at least a top 100 player from Wheeler in a trade. Otherwise, you hold him and if you can't come to agreement, give him the Qualifying offer.
The qualifying offer alone should yield a top 100 player in return (albeit further down the pipeline).
Clint Frazier or andijuar from the Yankees would be good compensation for wheeler without getting a prospect in return.

• Upvote 1

I agree. It’s a great rotation...today.
The problem is, can or will the Wilpon’s spend the money to sign Wheeler? Will they resign Strohman after next year? Will they trade Thor before the start of next season because he’ll want deGrom money?
If the Wilpon’s were the Steinbrenner family, we wouldn’t be that far away from a contender. Get a CF, a defensive catcher, and a SS who can field the position. Presto. 

Presto until Thor gets hurt and our pitchers turn on our catcher and our stud centerfielfer has a diazesq year. Alot of things can happen in a sport and buying the greatest team on paper never turns into a superbowl win

That pitching staff is formidable until you realize we have one of the worst defenses in the sport and that two of our aces are injury prone?

12 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Clint Frazier or andijuar from the Yankees would be good compensation for wheeler without getting a prospect in return.

No thanks. Two more guys who can’t play the field? I think we have that already covered.

A CF, a catcher who can catch, and a SS who can field are what we need. Baseball 101. Defense up the middle. That will make our SPs, even the BP look a lot better.

Why our team management doesn’t understand that is beyond me.

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No thanks. Two more guys who can’t play the field? I think we have that already covered.

A CF, a catcher who can catch, and a SS who can field are what we need. Baseball 101. Defense up the middle. That will make our SPs, even the BP look a lot better.

Why our team management doesn’t understand that is beyond me.

I wouldn't say Frazier can't field.  I would be concerned about bringing him to the Mets though.  He seems mental with the Yanks. Probably be better off going to some small market team for a bit. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You wanted a catcher hitting .245.  Gary Sanchez is hitting .229 and he started the all-star game.  He didn't start because of his defense either.

Maybe I’m not making myself clear. We traded a starting pitcher- mediocre for sure- for a 26 year old catcher hitting under .200. At AA. 

I’m not expecting an all star or even a good catcher. 

But this guy doesn’t scream “big leaguer” in any respect. Or big league prospect 5 years down the line. 

We just traded away our 4 and 6 prospect for a really good pitcher. 

We couldn’t get their 30th prospect? Maybe a 20 year old kid who we might strike gold with?

Its like we dumped a starting pitcher to a division rival for cash considerations and a throw away player. 

Sanchez is hitting .229 but he’s a proven power hitter and he’s hit major league pitching in the past. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Anyone else excited for the eventual Wild Card tease at or above .500 before the Nats sweep us?!?!?!?!

I am!!!!

I almost wish they didnt start sucking me back in recently. I was content with putting them to bed after that horrid June, and now they are pulling us back in a little bit just to get one more chance to stick it to us this year.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

I almost wish they didnt start sucking me back in recently. I was content with putting them to bed after that horrid June, and now they are pulling us back in a little bit just to get one more chance to stick it to us this year.

DONT FALL FOR IT!!!!!

21 hours ago, faba said:

Still expect Wheeler or Noah to be traded to get some prospects back in the system

The Wilpons do not want prospects, they want Major League ready players to sell to us idiots that we are competing.

It is a completely ass backwards way to run a franchise, but they are in with the commissioner and no one is going to make them stop or sell so we have to suffer with this.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Anyone else excited for the eventual Wild Card tease at or above .500 before the Nats sweep us?!?!?!?!

I am!!!!

All part of the competitive rebuild, my friend.

My father in law actually put money on the Mets to make the playoffs this year.  He is convinced they will turn it around and have a great stretch run.  Lets just say I am not seeing it a lot more like.  Moves we make today, if any, should be with an eye toward 2020.

• Upvote 1