2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

9 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

50 HR's for Alonso

wow

Probably will go to three more games this coming week, I'd love to see him get the rookie record

What an amazing and improbable season for Pete! Could any one of us ever imagined this type of rookie season? Add to that the arrival of Rosario after 3 years of hoping, McNeil’s growing stardom and the great promise JD and Lugo has shown. 

The future is looking bright if we can lock down a solid 4 starters behind deGrom. Find our future catcher and pray Nimmo can be our answer in CF and Conforto can learn to be more disciplined. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What an amazing and improbable season for Pete! Could any one of us ever imagined this type of rookie season? Add to that the arrival of Rosario after 3 years of hoping, McNeil’s growing stardom and the great promise JD and Lugo has shown. 

The future is looking bright if we can lock down a solid 4 starters behind deGrom. Find our future catcher and pray Nimmo can be our answer in CF and Conforto can learn to be more disciplined. 

Future is bright if we can figure out the bullpen.  Probably cost us at least 6-8 games in the standings this season.  8-0 lead, heading into the bottom of the 9th last night and I was legitately nervous that it would not be enough for Familia.  Figure out the bullpen and maybe we can content with the Braves for the Division next season.

• Upvote 1

I mean it's always something with this team. They could very easily fix the pen and have the rotation be the issue next year. Jeff and Fred....er, I mean Brody...already tried to deal Thor once. And IMO there's no chance they give Wheels what he wants/deserves. It'd be so Mets to fix the pen and then have 3 starters.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, RVAJet815 said:

I mean it's always something with this team. They could very easily fix the pen and have the rotation be the issue next year. Jeff and Fred....er, I mean Brody...already tried to deal Thor once. And IMO there's no chance they give Wheels what he wants/deserves. It'd be so Mets to fix the pen and then have 3 starters.

Trade Thor while there is still value for him. His inconsistencies will never measure to the contract he is going  to want.

At this point I would take a package of Dinelson Lamet and some other prospect from the Padre system.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Well some positives  this year like pete JC and mcneil. A decent bullpen would have us a wild card this year. But since our gm talked bold at the start  he has egg on his face. What to do about diaz try to move him or get him to turn it around is first bug decision

22 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Lugo is once again expressing his desire to be a starter.

Which is why the Stroman trade Or whatever his name is was asinine. As was the Cano trade. This GM is Macc like. Lugo is a fine 4th or 5th starter. Gromm, Matz, Wheeler, Lugo. Trade Stroman and Thor to get back some pieces. Not sure what Cano’s and Diaz Contract are but they've been an absolute waste and decimated the farm system. 

22 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Lugo is once again expressing his desire to be a starter.

Very good chance he can be next season. With the departure of Wheeler (unless Fred actually opens his wallet) and Thor perhaps on the block next year, Lugo could slide into the 4th or 5th starter role.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, faba said:

Well some positives  this year like pete JC and mcneil. A decent bullpen would have us a wild card this year. But since our gm talked bold at the start  he has egg on his face. What to do about diaz try to move him or get him to turn it around is first bug decision

Diaz: Trade, cut, whatever get him out of here ASAP. He singlehandedly destroyed this season. Next year looks promising. Isn’t Cespedes due back and still under contract? I can see a starting D of McNeil at 3rd, Rosario SS, Cano 2nd, Alonso 1B, Ramos C, Cespedes LF, Nimmo C, Conforto RF, J Davis in a sub role. I think Frazier is a goner. Hope we hang on to Legares. And they have to try again to revamp the bullpen. 

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Which is why the Stroman trade Or whatever his name is was asinine. As was the Cano trade. This GM is Macc like. Lugo is a fine 4th or 5th starter. Gromm, Matz, Wheeler, Lugo. Trade Stroman and Thor to get back some pieces. Not sure what Cano’s and Diaz Contract are but they've been an absolute waste and decimated the farm system. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Very good chance he can be next season. With the departure of Wheeler (unless Fred actually opens his wallet) and Thor perhaps on the block next year, Lugo could slide into the 4th or 5th starter role.

Great minds think a lot.

In defense of the Stroman trade, unlike the Cano, Diaz trade, the young talent were not highly rated league wide. Stroman is under control for 1 more year and is showing signs of righting the ship. 

Diaz may yet get back to where he was in Seattle.... dominant. Has electric stuff but needs greater mental strength/ killer instinct.

Gsellman will be ready for next season but Familia is a dog!! $30 mil contract throw up team america GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Think Girardi goes to the Cubs. Agree on Wheeler, get Syndergaard out of here ASAP.

Cardinals, Brewers vs. Braves, Nats and Phillies. Central seems to have an easier path to the division title over the Braves and Nats.

He also was born and raised in Illinois. Tough call.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Girardi would literally run to Citifield if the Wilpons offered him the Met job 

Management also is a BIG consideration for managers. You have BVW vs. Epstein...... Wilpons vs. Cubs ownership. Cheap vs. willing spenders. Excellent farm system vs. depleted system!

Those last 3 could push the needle Cubs way!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Management also is a BIG consideration for managers. You have BVW vs. Epstein...... Wilpons vs. Cubs ownership. Cheap vs. willing spenders. Excellent farm system vs. depleted system!

Those last 3 could push the needle Cubs way!

The Cubs system is actually more depleted than the Mets. 

Cubs have to deal with Kris Bryant, who is a Scott Boras client. Good luck there.

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts said at the beginning of this season that they have no more money to spend.

Believe it or not, Cubs window is closing. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Cubs system is actually more depleted than the Mets. 

Cubs have to deal with Kris Bryant, who is a Scott Boras client. Good luck there.

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts said at the beginning of this season that they have no more money to spend.

Believe it or not, Cubs window is closing. 

I guess you are correct.

28. New York Mets (Last Year’s Rank: #23)

The Mets, led by new General Manager and former player agent Broddie Van Wagenen, have positioned themselves as – potential – contenders in 2019. And the franchise also has two top prospects ready to contribute along the way as well: Andres Gimenez looks like a young star and power-hitting first base Peter Alonso is a bonafide middle-of-the-lineup thumper. Third baseman Mark Vientos could crack the Top 100 list in a year. Left-handers David Peterson and Anthony Kay offer up some potential as #4-ish arms. It’s thin, so we’ll see how the club’s 2019 season goes. The system could get a boost with the return of Thomas Szapucki and Jordan Humphreys as well.

29. Chicago Cubs (Last Year’s Rank: #24)

They’ve officially bottomed out. Years of promoting big time talent and big time trades have left the Cubs’ system all but barren. Miguel Amaya could be the top catching prospect in a year. And Alex Lange looks like a Kyle Hendricks-type clone. Beyond that, though, are a lot of question marks. Can Brailyn Marquez throw enough strikes and/or develop his offspeed pitches? Will Nico Hoerner hit enough? Can Adbert Alzolay stay in the rotation? And will Cory Abbott succeed in Class AA?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I guess you are correct.

28. New York Mets (Last Year’s Rank: #23)

The Mets, led by new General Manager and former player agent Broddie Van Wagenen, have positioned themselves as – potential – contenders in 2019. And the franchise also has two top prospects ready to contribute along the way as well: Andres Gimenez looks like a young star and power-hitting first base Peter Alonso is a bonafide middle-of-the-lineup thumper. Third baseman Mark Vientos could crack the Top 100 list in a year. Left-handers David Peterson and Anthony Kay offer up some potential as #4-ish arms. It’s thin, so we’ll see how the club’s 2019 season goes. The system could get a boost with the return of Thomas Szapucki and Jordan Humphreys as well.

29. Chicago Cubs (Last Year’s Rank: #24)

They’ve officially bottomed out. Years of promoting big time talent and big time trades have left the Cubs’ system all but barren. Miguel Amaya could be the top catching prospect in a year. And Alex Lange looks like a Kyle Hendricks-type clone. Beyond that, though, are a lot of question marks. Can Brailyn Marquez throw enough strikes and/or develop his offspeed pitches? Will Nico Hoerner hit enough? Can Adbert Alzolay stay in the rotation? And will Cory Abbott succeed in Class AA?

That was a pre-season ranking. Of course, the Mets traded Kay in the Strohman trade.

The Mets should move up the rankings at least slightly, due to their very positive 2019  draft (yes, BVW actually appears to have drafted well, and the emergence of some other prospects that developed.

The Mets still need to strengthen the system, and BVW needs to resist the urge to trade real prospects.

But in comparison to the Cubs, their system is better. I know our old friend Gato would try to spin it differently, but is is just not so.

Cubs have some work to do as they are getting older.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Gary said on the broadcast last night that Diaz had now given up 15 hr's this year, 10 of them in the 9th inning. That's just mind boggling.

I recently heard  that the Nats (and maybe the Dodgers???) had more blown saves than the Mets and was surprised.

I would be real interested to know most blown leads in the 9th up by 2 runs or more. I am sure the Mets lead that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

That was a pre-season ranking. Of course, the Mets traded Kay in the Strohman trade.

The Mets should move up the rankings at least slightly, due to their very positive 2019  draft (yes, BVW actually appears to have drafted well, and the emergence of some other prospects that developed.

The Mets still need to strengthen the system, and BVW needs to resist the urge to trade real prospects.

But in comparison to the Cubs, their system is better. I know our old friend Gato would try to spin it differently, but is is just not so.

Cubs have some work to do as they are getting older.

Let's hope so.... especially at the Catcher position. Ramos hits well enough and calls a good game (sans Thor) but his arm is below avg. 2020 last year of contract IIRC. Bullpen needs some more arms next year too!