2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

I think Calloway will be back. This team was 11 games under .500 at the break, and played 21 games over the 2nd half. The reason they aren't playing this week is 2 guys Brodie brought in, Familia and Diaz, pure and simple. Brodie would show a heck of a lot of leadership if he took the hit and realized that Calloway did a pretty decent job when all is said and done. This off season will be interesting. This team seems to be on the verge of becoming pretty good, and could be in the mix for 5-6 years. Question #1...keep Noah or Wheeler?

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I think Calloway will be back. This team was 11 games under .500 at the break, and played 21 games over the 2nd half. The reason they aren't playing this week is 2 guys Brodie brought in, Familia and Diaz, pure and simple. Brodie would show a heck of a lot of leadership if he took the hit and realized that Calloway did a pretty decent job when all is said and done. This off season will be interesting. This team seems to be on the verge of becoming pretty good, and could be in the mix for 5-6 years. Question #1...keep Noah or Wheeler?

Based on word that recently leaked, the Mets tried to negotiate with Wheeler in July, and talks did not go far. That then turned into them trading for Strohman.

They had better give the qualifying offer to Wheeler, but it sounds like he want to test the market which probably means he is gone.

Expect more talk about trading Syndergaard, but it not happening this winter

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I personally think Brody will put some feelers out on some of the big names out there. Guys like Gerardi and Madden. If they don’t seem too interested he sticks with Callaway. Of course this is all going to backfire when Geraldi and Madden‘s agent will leak it to the press so they can get their dream positions with the Cubs and Angels for Madden where he was a coach for years. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Based on word that recently leaked, the Mets tried to negotiate with Wheeler in July, and talks did not go far. That then turned into them trading for Strohman.

They had better give the qualifying offer to Wheeler, but it sounds like he want to test the market which probably means he is gone.

Expect more talk about trading Syndergaard, but it not happening this winter

Yeah, heard that too. If they qualify Wheeler, they get a #1 pick from team that signs him, right?

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I personally think Brody will put some feelers out on some of the big names out there. Guys like Gerardi and Madden. If they don’t seem too interested he sticks with Callaway. Of course this is all going to backfire when Geraldi and Madden‘s agent will leak it to the press so they can get their dream positions with the Cubs and Angels for Madden where he was a coach for years. 

Good point. There was speculation about that today in the paper.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes. There are some exemptions (certain teams and certain top draft picks spots), but the mets would receive a high pick back.

Brodie got a ton of grief for many things, but according to many MLB people, he had a great top of the draft. The 3rd baseman supposedly can hit the crap out of the ball, and the RHP he got in the 3rd round, that everyone was afraid of because of signing issues, was a top 10 rated guy. So this may be the smart play.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

Brodie got a ton of grief for many things, but according to many MLB people, he had a great top of the draft. The 3rd baseman supposedly can hit the crap out of the ball, and the RHP he got in the 3rd round, that everyone was afraid of because of signing issues, was a top 10 rated guy. So this may be the smart play.

The second round kid (a pitcher) was thought of as a 1st round prospect as well.

The great news for the organization is that Catcher Francisco Alvarez is now among mlbs' top 100 minor leaguers and looks like the real deal both offensively and defensively.

He is still only at Rookie Ball, so there is a bunch of development needed yet.

• Upvote 3

On 9/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, section314 said:

Calloway did a half azz job managing the pitching staff which is what he was brought in here to primarily do. Diaz and Familia were both disastrous and Calloway continued to force the issue more than 3/4 into the season in their roles. He should have stuck a fork in Diaz at the all star break. Instead, he continued rolling him out there costing them brutal losses that they should have won.  It wasn’t until he made Lugo the closer that they were able to make a run. Nor did I care for his lineups or in game strategies.  He was constantly out coached. Get someone in here who’s more seasoned, get a different closer, make Lugo a starter. de Gromm, Wheeler, Matz, Lugo, Stroman ( who I wasn’t impressed with but as a 5th could be worse).  Thor I believe will be traded Since he’s going to be expensive to retain and probably should be since he’d fetch some prospects in return. Our farm system is baron. 

On 9/24/2019 at 11:36 AM, faba said:

Well some positives  this year like pete JC and mcneil. A decent bullpen would have us a wild card this year. But since our gm talked bold at the start  he has egg on his face. What to do about diaz try to move him or get him to turn it around is first bug decision

441AAFF5-FD61-49E9-9FE8-38C04170271F.jpeg

Can’t trade Diaz for pennies on the dollar. This kid has sick stuff. It’s not a coincidence that all the “smart” franchises (stros, Red Sox, dodgers) were after him at the deadline. Either try to work out his mental block or throw him in a Thor deal and try to get a bigger return. Can’t just cut him or try to make him go away with his talent unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

The future looks bright for the Mets. They have an excellent core of young hitters  and should even be better next year. Changes of course will be made but for the better.  The GM has big decisions to make over the pitching staff but I think they’ll figure it out. McNeil should be moved to third. He can handle it. Rosario has improved and coming into his own at ss. Cano was a disaster. I believe we’re stuck with him. Hopefully he bounces back. Alonso is a polar bear ?. Ramos also had a decent year and I believe is also under contract. Nimmo bounces back nicely after injuries all year. Comforting was solid. JD Davis was phenomenal, MVP of the team. Legares should be back as he’s great defensively. And the big question is what’s with Cespedes? 

5 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Can’t trade Diaz for pennies on the dollar. This kid has sick stuff. It’s not a coincidence that all the “smart” franchises (stros, Red Sox, dodgers) were after him at the deadline. Either try to work out his mental block or throw him in a Thor deal and try to get a bigger return. Can’t just cut him or try to make him go away with his talent unfortunately.

I don’t give a hoot. He singlehandedly destroyed their chances this year. He was ABOMINABLE. 

47BD0B7E-CF0A-42BF-AA3E-0F4E0683906F.png

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Calloway did a half azz job managing the pitching staff which is what he was brought in here to primarily do. Diaz and Familia were both disastrous and Calloway continued to force the issue more than 3/4 into the season in their roles. He should have stuck a fork in Diaz at the all star break. Instead, he continued rolling him out there costing them brutal losses that they should have won.  It wasn’t until he made Lugo the closer that they were able to make a run. Nor did I care for his lineups or in game strategies.  He was constantly out coached. Get someone in here who’s more seasoned, get a different closer, make Lugo a starter. de Gromm, Wheeler, Matz, Lugo, Stroman ( who I wasn’t impressed with but as a 5th could be worse).  Thor I believe will be traded Since he’s going to be expensive to retain and probably should be since he’d fetch some prospects in return. Our farm system is baron

You mean barren.?

2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Mickey is gone per Mets twitter!

Yup.

Got to give MIckey credit for keeping the team together and the fight they showed all year, but between h is handling of pitchers, which was supposed to be his strength, nad game management, its hard to be surprised.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.

Got to give MIckey credit for keeping the team together and the fight they showed all year, but between h is handling of pitchers, which was supposed to be his strength, nad game management, its hard to be surprised.

Wow. I wasn't expecting this after the strong second half, and the 86 wins. I think Callaway got a raw deal here, not being BVW's guy. He was made the fall guy.

I'm not saying he's a great manager, but he kept the team together, and they played hard for him until the very last pitch of the season. He was hamstrung by the BVW acquisitions of Familia, Diaz and Cano. The Mets aren't the Yankees, we aren't able to move on from bad deals like with an Ellsbury as easily as they can. I'm of the mind that Callaway would've been fired before the All Star break had he dared to bench Cano or remove Diaz and Familia from the 8th and 9th so quickly. 

Look, the Mets would have made the playoffs if not for two bad acquisitions by Brodie. The trade for Diaz and the signing of Familia. Those two guys killed any chances they might have had to win more games. Actually the team played well and over their talent level and without their power hitter, Cespedes. You can complain about Mickey's on the field moves incl with the pitching staff (and he's a pitcher and former pitching coach) but you can do that for any manager. It looked like Mickey had good relationships with the players and it is a good clubhouse. He has to get credit for that. They won 86 games more than most people thought they could win and were in contention until the final week. I also liked the fact that usually maybe with one exception Mickey was calm and cool and handled the bad times well. And I think the players understood this. Mickey is a young manager, learning and I think improving and I would have kept him on. Brodie isn't a guy I have a lot of trust in.