2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

@Trolly McTrollface @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @BROOKLYN JET @Scott Dierking @Jetsfan80 @Lith

To all my fellow Mets fans....... perhaps you can explain to me the disparity in passion between Mets & Yankee fans? 

I started the Mets 2020 thread on March 15th because I love this organization and missed talking with other fans. As such, we have over 1,000 posts during a paused season due to  a national pandemic and economic collapse. 

The 2020 Yankee thread only appeared two days ago and has 11 posts.... I don’t get it?

Is it the fact that our personalities always root for the runt of the litter/ the castoff/ the poor suffering soul? Is that why we love talking Mets baseball 24/7?

I just don’t understand their apathy. Insight appreciated. 

I'm guessing that teams like the more "star crossed" franchises like the Mets (and Jets) make the fans more hungry to win and thus we talk about it more.  Yankee fans probably have an expectation of winning it all this year and so they might not care to talk as much about pre-season concerns.

52 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Been around for a while, I just don't post very often I guess ?. I posted on occasion the last couple.of seasons. In any case, been a mets fan since I was 5 in Howard Beach (1984). Earliest mets memory is a Doc Gooden game in 1985 that my dad took me too...which was huge of him since he was a huge Yankees fan. 

Well don’t be a stranger during this shortened season. We need to get off to a strong start or were toast. If we play the 1st 20 games at a .600 + clip against NL East it will keep the season interesting. Cano, Cespedes, Alonso and Conforto must bring the power stick from game 1. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm guessing that teams like the more "star crossed" franchises like the Mets (and Jets) make the fans more hungry to win and thus we talk about it more.  Yankee fans probably have an expectation of winning it all this year and so they might not care to talk as much about pre-season concerns.

The rare times when the Jets and Mets are successful, it's huge news and the city is taken over by green or blue.  

With the Yankees it's simply the expectation.  

So yeah, I'd say being "hungrier for a winner" is part of the deal for Jets and Mets fans, whose teams haven't won in a long time.

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I know you’re a top notch Rangers lovin’ super fan...... maybe you can offer insight as to why the Yankee thread just seems lifeless? Is it socioeconomic as in Yankee fans have more things to put their attention into than blue collar Mets fans? Although I know a number of blue collar Yankee fans 

I think you're reading into it too much, it probably has more to do with Max being in there than anything else.

• Haha 1

there are many factors in play here, among which are:

1. The DH makes a huge difference in the strategy and sophistication of this wonderful game. No need to explain if you know the fine points of baseball. If you don't understand that, you do not know thsi sport at a deep level at all. 
  2. Mets fans seem to be more pure baseball fans and seem to follow the entire sport. Yankee fans feel that the rest of the AL is just there to "Challenge the Yankees" and the others teams (and other league) are of secondary importance.
  3. Some of us grew up when the NL had far superior talent in terms of superstars and more importantly. pitching.
  4. Many of us had the NL legacy of their Dodger-Giant parents and grandparents who were always more avid fans than the Yankee fans by nature
  5. Jane Jarvis kicked Eddie Layton's butt
  6. The Yankees won so many pennants in the Ruth-DiMaggio-Mantle eras because they had little competition in their league, unlike the NL. Their World Series record was not dominant. Then over the last quarter century, they were simple able to buy pennants. Mets could have been this way too if they did not have an idiot for an owner 
  7. Sit next to a Mets fan at a game and you have way more intersting and informative conversations. At least in my experience.

All of this is generality of course and not applicable individually, but here is one more general factor to consider:

Before the Jets gave up having a home stadium, the real fanatics were Mets-Jets or Yankees-Giants. There was rarely any crossover (did not know one growing up).  As we all know, Jets fans are the most understanding, easygoing, loyal and optimistic supporters in the world, so by extension, so would be the traditional Mets fan.

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I know you’re a top notch Rangers lovin’ super fan...... maybe you can offer insight as to why the Yankee thread just seems lifeless? Is it socioeconomic as in Yankee fans have more things to put their attention into than blue collar Mets fans? Although I know a number of blue collar Yankee fans 

Definately not blue collar vs white collar. Maybe back in the Polo Grounds-Ebbetts Field (the one in Brooklyn, not the one in Queens) days but not the Shea era. All suits and ties for weeknight games during the "golden era". 

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

there are many factors in play here, among which are:

1. Many of us had the NL legacy of their Dodger-Giant parents and grandparents who were always more avid fans than the Yankee fans by nature

That’s what happened in my family

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That’s what happened in my family

I am very jealous.

My maternal grandfather was an avid Dodger fan and spent a lot of time in the rafters at Ebbetts. When they moved, however, it broke his heart to the extent that he never watched another game again. Since I was too little at the time I had no idea about this until his funeral when this was discussed. I was absolutley floored. My Dad gew up an Albany Senators fan so baseball wasn't too important for him later in life. I had to figure all this out on my own.

Consider yourself lucky !  

My two cents.  There are plenty of good, knowledgeable and passionate fans who are die hard supporters of each team.  But in the case of the Yankees, the casual fans who jump on a winners bandwagon dilute the good fans.  If you are a Met fan, its not winning that attrcated you to the team.  For me, as a kid growing up on LI, the first game I went to live was the Mets at Shea in probably 66 or 67.  They became my team and I have stuck with them throughout the highs and lows.  I think most other Met fans are that way.  We are not bandwagoners.

Only experience I had with bandwagon Mets fan was in 2015.  We had a core group of about 10-12 displaced NYers living in the Chicago area.  We would meet up at Wrigley or Miller Park when the Mets were in town.  Get together a few times a year, take over a couple of tables at a bar to watch the Mets.  Then 2015 came.  Instead of 10-12 folks, we packed an entire bar with Met fans.  100 or more of us getting together for games.  A couple of news crews even showed up at our Mets bar during the playoffs.  It was a lot of fun, but as of last seasosn, we were back to our core group of 10-12 people meeting up for games.  The bandwagoners of 2015 are gone.

• Upvote 4

Here's another take on the Mets-Yankees discussion from one of the old Shea gang:

This is only applicable to the older fans among us but, it becomes a question of "ownership" 

Mets fans of a certain age have seen most or ALL of the important players and events of the Mets, thus these are our Mets experiences and part of us (in a way). We've seen it, lived it and can relate to it.

Yankees fans have "history" and the championships, for the most part were either learned of (Ruth-Gehrig-DiMaggio-Mantle) after becoming fans or of the latter era when it was just a matter of buying wins. Much harder to "own" that

Biased opinion of course but an interesting point in any event

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• Scott Soshnick of Sportico reports that MLB has pre-approved seven groups as possible bidders on the Mets.

First-round bids are said to be due at some point in July. We don't know the identities of all seven groups. However, Soshnick writes that the A-Rod/J-Lo group (possibly with Florida Panthers owner Vinnie Viola and billionaire Mike Repole) are in the mix, as well as a group led by Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils owner Josh Harris, and the billionaire Reuben Brothers. The Reuben Brothers are the newest name to emerge and are reportedly interested in the real estate opportunities around Citi Field. The Mets would prefer to close a deal before the end of the year. The club was previously expected to be sold to Steve Cohen for $2.6 billion, but the deal fell apart.

SOURCE: Sportico
    Jun 30, 2020, 11:02 AM ET

•  
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, The Crimson King said:

Here's another take on the Mets-Yankees discussion from one of the old Shea gang:

This is only applicable to the older fans among us but, it becomes a question of "ownership" 

Mets fans of a certain age have seen most or ALL of the important players and events of the Mets, thus these are our Mets experiences and part of us (in a way). We've seen it, lived it and can relate to it.

Yankees fans have "history" and the championships, for the most part were either learned of (Ruth-Gehrig-DiMaggio-Mantle) after becoming fans or of the latter era when it was just a matter of buying wins. Much harder to "own" that

Biased opinion of course but an interesting point in any event

Great post, I never thought of it that way, but you’re right.

Those of us who remember Casey, Choo Choo, Marvelous Marv, and then Swug going deep as a kid, have literally seen it all.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets got all of their draft picks signed, with the signing of JT Ginn.

Seemingly, another good draft by Brodie.

You know, if he did not have the Kelenic trade on his resume, he could possibly look pretty decent.

Absolutely!  I could've easily forgiven him for Jed Lowrie if that was his worst move.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling the Kelenic trade is going to haunt us for a long time.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets got all of their draft picks signed, with the signing of JT Ginn.

Seemingly, another good draft by Brodie.

You know, if he did not have the Kelenic trade on his resume, he could possibly look pretty decent.

Right now, it doesn't look good. But to be fair, I think every GM in MLB would would have made that trade. Maybe Kelenic will be the real deal, but he could easily turn out to be Alex Ochoa.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Right now, it doesn't look good. But to be fair, I think every GM in MLB would would have made that trade. Maybe Kelenic will be the real deal, but he could easily turn out to be Alex Ochoa.

EVERY GM?  I'm not sure about that.  Only contenders tend to trade for closers, and no one who heavily invests in analytics would want to trade for a 35-year old like Cano when most players "hit a wall" at around 32 years old.

As I said at the time of the deal, the majority of the possible outcomes of that deal were negative.  A lot would have had to go right for it to make sense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

EVERY GM?  I'm not sure about that.  Only contenders tend to trade for closers, and no one who heavily invests in analytics would want to trade for a 35-year old like Cano when most players "hit a wall" at around 32 years old.

As I said at the time of the deal, the majority of the possible outcomes of that deal were negative.  A lot would have had to go right for it to make sense.

All fair points.

Mets sign Venezuelan pitcher Richard Brito who can throw 100 mph

https://nypost.com/2020/07/02/mets-sign-venezuelan-pitcher-richard-brito-who-can-throw-100-mph/

The 21-year-old Brito, whose fastball has a 101-102 mph ceiling, was considered a late bloomer. With MLB’s international signing period deferred until January, Brito’s bonus will be allotted from the 2019-20 pool.

Brito, at 6-foot-4 and 198 pounds, joins Robert Dominguez among high-upside international pitchers the Mets have landed over the last two years.

Dominguez, a Venezuelan who pitched in the Dominican Republic, was rated as the top international pitcher in 2019. In last month’s draft, the Mets selected JT Ginn, a Mississippi State right-hander, with their second-round pick. Ginn this week agreed to an over-slot signing bonus of $2.9 million.

It's getting to the point where I'm kind of almost liking Brodie as GM.  Other than the Kelenic trade (obviously!) which I have a really bad feeling is going to go down among the worst in Mets history, I've liked his general approach here (given the financial limitations).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not going to get my hopes up, as they were scuttled in February. I know that the Wilpons want to sell to ARod and JLo, because, Wilpons. 

I hear ya. Whatever the final price and to whomever they close with, as long as those two pricks are totally removed from anything Mets related once the ink is dry, it's a great day in Mets history.

• Upvote 4

On 7/5/2020 at 9:00 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Mets sign Venezuelan pitcher Richard Brito who can throw 100 mph

https://nypost.com/2020/07/02/mets-sign-venezuelan-pitcher-richard-brito-who-can-throw-100-mph/

The 21-year-old Brito, whose fastball has a 101-102 mph ceiling, was considered a late bloomer. With MLB’s international signing period deferred until January, Brito’s bonus will be allotted from the 2019-20 pool.

Brito, at 6-foot-4 and 198 pounds, joins Robert Dominguez among high-upside international pitchers the Mets have landed over the last two years.

Dominguez, a Venezuelan who pitched in the Dominican Republic, was rated as the top international pitcher in 2019. In last month’s draft, the Mets selected JT Ginn, a Mississippi State right-hander, with their second-round pick. Ginn this week agreed to an over-slot signing bonus of $2.9 million.

still way below Sidd Finch's velocity

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

groMRI

46 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Everything had been going so well this summer for them.

deGrom is ready to roll.... this is the org. or agents way of keeping healthy and ready. He's the most prepared pitcher in the league. He'll be ready Day 1 start..... IMO

5 innings or 75 pitches. Bullpen there on out.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

deGrom is ready to roll.... this is the org. or agents way of keeping healthy and ready. He's the most prepared pitcher in the league. He'll be ready Day 1 start..... IMO

5 innings or 75 pitches. Bullpen there on out.

Not sure they got the results back, but he's listed as day to day.

40 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Not sure they got the results back, but he's listed as day to day.

Per Newsday, they got the results back and nothing to be concerned about.  

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jacob-degrom-back-mri-1.46904133

An MRI on Wednesday “didn’t show anything concerning” to the Mets, a source said, one day after their ace pitched only one inning because of back tightness.

Manager Luis Rojas described deGrom as day-to-day and said it was too early to know whether this would affect his availability for Opening Day, which is July 24.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Per Newsday, they got the results back and nothing to be concerned about.  

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jacob-degrom-back-mri-1.46904133

An MRI on Wednesday “didn’t show anything concerning” to the Mets, a source said, one day after their ace pitched only one inning because of back tightness.

Manager Luis Rojas described deGrom as day-to-day and said it was too early to know whether this would affect his availability for Opening Day, which is July 24.

Yup, I heard Rojas on with Joe Benigno.