2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Watching the game last night, they said the Mets have only won 2 series this year. Anybody else hear that?

I must have missed that during the broadcast last night, but I just looked back at the schedule.  And that is correct.  We have won two series from the Marlins.  Swept them in Miami and took 2 of 3 from them at Citi.  In fairness, there have been a bunch of 2 and 4 game series that were split, but only those two that we have actually won.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

I must have missed that during the broadcast last night, but I just looked back at the schedule.  And that is correct.  We have won two series from the Marlins.  Swept them in Miami and took 2 of 3 from them at Citi.  In fairness, there have been a bunch of 2 and 4 game series that were split, but only those two that we have actually won.

Ironically, the Marlins are what, 3-4 in front of us?

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

2 series wins, 4 series losses and 7 series ties. That is what happens when you have 1 great pitcher, and 4 middling to poor pitchers. Can't get a streak going. 

Great point. You know what’s weird, and sad, is that last night, the way Castro and Diaz just blew people away, it made me think of 2015, with Clippard and Familla. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

And, the Mets will move into the 21st Century....

Motion capture software was still relatively new in 2011 when the Mets considered becoming one of the first MLB teams to implement it.

The technology captures three-dimensional images, allowing pitchers and batters to compare their mechanics when they are thriving versus slumping. If a pitcher has lost his slider in June, images can be accessed to determine when his hip is clearing, as opposed to months earlier when the pitch was sharp.

Cameras were installed in Citi Field for a test trial, which concluded with a presentation to team COO Jeff Wilpon. The price tag was $150,000. The Mets passed.

Nearly a decade later, motion capture software is a standard tool throughout the game — many teams have it installed in their minor league facilities — but remains absent from the Mets, who last spring training hired an outside firm for one day to employ it, creating at least something of a database.

The technology is just one of several improvements to the infrastructure potentially headed to the Mets should Steve Cohen’s $2.475 billion purchase of the club from Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz be approved by MLB owners in the coming weeks.

Cohen, a hedge-fund maven who built his estimated $14 billion fortune on crunching data and hiring the right people for such analysis, is seen as a savior to the Mets for more than his resources to pursue top free agents. Behind the scenes, the Mets are expected to become more analytically driven, perhaps worthy of the nickname the “East Coast Dodgers,” should Cohen receive the 23 of 30 votes by MLB owners to complete the transaction that would leave him with a 95 percent stake in the club.

Cohen has told associates, according to sources, he expects to lose about $400 million on the team in his first two years as the new owner.

“While all these other owners are trying to save money, he’s already spent money,” a major league executive said. “So what’s another $50 million to put together the best front office and [infrastructure] he can put together? These other guys are trying to save money, so [Cohen] is like these guys that try to dominate Wall Street by buying up all the stocks when stuff is going bad. He’s already spent the money and this is his opportunity to really take advantage of a down market.”

Cohen’s handpicked team president, Sandy Alderson, pushed heavily for technological upgrades and a bigger analytics staff during his tenure as Mets general manager, but resources allotted to him were often scarce. When Alderson departed the organization in 2018, citing recurring health problems, the Mets’ analytics staff consisted of three employees. That number grew to six following general manager Brodie Van Wagenen’s hiring four months later. The doubling of the analytics staff still left the Mets well behind much of the competition. It’s not uncommon for teams to have analytics departments with 20-plus employees.

“It was just so archaic,” a person familiar with the Mets operating structure during the Wilpons’ ownership said. “Fred Wilpon walked around and tried to pride himself on being this progressive thinker and he just couldn’t grasp a lot of the stuff. It wasn’t like Jeff or Fred, I don’t want to make them out to be bad guys, I just think they didn’t grasp how to invest in stuff that could help you get down the road.”

The Mets have fought to keep up. Included was the development of a player-facing app on iPads. The app allows players to prepare for an upcoming opponent, helping them share video, communicate with coaches and analyze data. But the app also requires an infrastructure the Mets are lacking.

It starts with a data pipeline, but acquiring the same kind of information from the minor leagues as major leagues has been a challenge for the Mets due to staffing limitations. Likewise, the Mets are challenged in keeping the app updated and receiving proper analysis due to the scarcity of bodies. Another issue that has bedeviled the organization is something as basic as an internal server that can support 30 players using their iPads simultaneously.

But Cohen’s infusion of capital won’t be all about technology and analytics, spending on free agents aside.

Cohen could place the organization, long removed as serious players on the international market, on the path to securing premier talent outside the amateur draft.

Recent GMs under the Wilpons, starting with Omar Minaya to Alderson to Van Wagenen, have been constricted budgetarily from pursuing top international talent. Often the line was drawn on what could be acquired for a certain dollar value, without consideration on what better options might be available.

Much will flow from the GM, whether Van Wagenen remains or a top-flight executive with a proven track record such as Theo Epstein or Billy Beane is hired.

“One of the things Steve doesn’t get credit for over in his business is he recruits the best in breed,” a person with ties to Cohen said. “Then he makes sure they produce. If they don’t perform and produce, he’s not afraid to make a change.”

59 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And, the Mets will move into the 21st Century....

Motion capture software was still relatively new in 2011 when the Mets considered becoming one of the first MLB teams to implement it.

The technology captures three-dimensional images, allowing pitchers and batters to compare their mechanics when they are thriving versus slumping. If a pitcher has lost his slider in June, images can be accessed to determine when his hip is clearing, as opposed to months earlier when the pitch was sharp.

Cameras were installed in Citi Field for a test trial, which concluded with a presentation to team COO Jeff Wilpon. The price tag was $150,000. The Mets passed.

Nearly a decade later, motion capture software is a standard tool throughout the game — many teams have it installed in their minor league facilities — but remains absent from the Mets, who last spring training hired an outside firm for one day to employ it, creating at least something of a database.

The technology is just one of several improvements to the infrastructure potentially headed to the Mets should Steve Cohen’s $2.475 billion purchase of the club from Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz be approved by MLB owners in the coming weeks.

Cohen, a hedge-fund maven who built his estimated $14 billion fortune on crunching data and hiring the right people for such analysis, is seen as a savior to the Mets for more than his resources to pursue top free agents. Behind the scenes, the Mets are expected to become more analytically driven, perhaps worthy of the nickname the “East Coast Dodgers,” should Cohen receive the 23 of 30 votes by MLB owners to complete the transaction that would leave him with a 95 percent stake in the club.

Cohen has told associates, according to sources, he expects to lose about $400 million on the team in his first two years as the new owner.

“While all these other owners are trying to save money, he’s already spent money,” a major league executive said. “So what’s another $50 million to put together the best front office and [infrastructure] he can put together? These other guys are trying to save money, so [Cohen] is like these guys that try to dominate Wall Street by buying up all the stocks when stuff is going bad. He’s already spent the money and this is his opportunity to really take advantage of a down market.”

Cohen’s handpicked team president, Sandy Alderson, pushed heavily for technological upgrades and a bigger analytics staff during his tenure as Mets general manager, but resources allotted to him were often scarce. When Alderson departed the organization in 2018, citing recurring health problems, the Mets’ analytics staff consisted of three employees. That number grew to six following general manager Brodie Van Wagenen’s hiring four months later. The doubling of the analytics staff still left the Mets well behind much of the competition. It’s not uncommon for teams to have analytics departments with 20-plus employees.

“It was just so archaic,” a person familiar with the Mets operating structure during the Wilpons’ ownership said. “Fred Wilpon walked around and tried to pride himself on being this progressive thinker and he just couldn’t grasp a lot of the stuff. It wasn’t like Jeff or Fred, I don’t want to make them out to be bad guys, I just think they didn’t grasp how to invest in stuff that could help you get down the road.”

The Mets have fought to keep up. Included was the development of a player-facing app on iPads. The app allows players to prepare for an upcoming opponent, helping them share video, communicate with coaches and analyze data. But the app also requires an infrastructure the Mets are lacking.

It starts with a data pipeline, but acquiring the same kind of information from the minor leagues as major leagues has been a challenge for the Mets due to staffing limitations. Likewise, the Mets are challenged in keeping the app updated and receiving proper analysis due to the scarcity of bodies. Another issue that has bedeviled the organization is something as basic as an internal server that can support 30 players using their iPads simultaneously.

But Cohen’s infusion of capital won’t be all about technology and analytics, spending on free agents aside.

Cohen could place the organization, long removed as serious players on the international market, on the path to securing premier talent outside the amateur draft.

Recent GMs under the Wilpons, starting with Omar Minaya to Alderson to Van Wagenen, have been constricted budgetarily from pursuing top international talent. Often the line was drawn on what could be acquired for a certain dollar value, without consideration on what better options might be available.

Much will flow from the GM, whether Van Wagenen remains or a top-flight executive with a proven track record such as Theo Epstein or Billy Beane is hired.

One of the things Steve doesn’t get credit for over in his business is he recruits the best in breed,” a person with ties to Cohen said. “Then he makes sure they produce. If they don’t perform and produce, he’s not afraid to make a change.”

Thanks for posting . Great read. Worked on Wall St. in institutional trading for 30 years. Stevie Cohen and his firm brought their "A" game, everyday, all day long, and you had to bring yours as well. He does not suffer fools gladly, which is why I think BVW is toast. I just hope he doesn't turn things over to the analytic people. I guess they have a place in the game, but I hope it's much closer to the back of the line. Let those guys figure out how to maximize revenue, and let the baseball people figure out what players to play. Just ask Aaron Boone how those geeks can ruin a team.

Just now, section314 said:

Thanks for posting . Great read. Worked on Wall St. in institutional trading for 30 years. Stevie Cohen and his firm brought their "A" game, everyday, all day long, and you had to bring yours as well. He does not suffer fools gladly, which is why I think BVW is toast. I just hope he doesn't turn things over to the analytic people. I guess they have a place in the game, but I hope it's much closer to the back of the line. Let those guys figure out how to maximize revenue, and let the baseball people figure out what players to play. Just ask Aaron Boone how those geeks can ruin a team.

If watching the show "Billions" has taught me anything, while he values analytics, he trusts his gut more. Just use analytics to give you the foundation. If, they have portrayed him correctly.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

If watching the show "Billions" has taught me anything, while he values analytics, he trusts his gut more. Just use analytics to give you the foundation. If, they have portrayed him correctly.

I read somewhere that Axe is based on someone else, but I doubt it. Axe is Stevie.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I wouldn't sweat it. deBlasio is dumb, but not that dumb. He is probably looking to get his own pound of flesh here.

Is insider trading any worse that willfully participating in a ponzi scheme?

I doubt he will block the sale, but he may screw them over if he delays it thru the start of free agency.

53 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I doubt he will block the sale, but he may screw them over if he delays it thru the start of free agency.

He did say a decision would come soon Owners vote Friday, I would expect deBlasio to want the final say then to increase his visibility. He will plummet ever further in popularity if he were ti scuttle the deal. In the end, NYC wants to be paid, and no one guarantees that more than Cohen.

22 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He did say a decision would come soon Owners vote Friday, I would expect deBlasio to want the final say then to increase his visibility. He will plummet ever further in popularity if he were ti scuttle the deal. In the end, NYC wants to be paid, and no one guarantees that more than Cohen.

Don't forget, Cuomo is a Mets fan.? He can drop the house on mayor Castro any time he wants.

On 11/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, nycdan said:

Just read that Cohen is bringing Sandy Alderson back to run things.  Great move.

What are your thoughts on BVW? I think he made some bad trades, but I believe he had a mandate to win now. That's why Cano was brought in. That said he was handcuffed in FA by Wilpons. I think with Sandy's experience, he can help groom BVM. He has made some nice moves in the draft. 

Just soooo happy the Wilpon's are gone.Yes Yes Yes GIF

Brodie Van Wagenen out just hours after Steve Cohen purchases Mets

Hours after Steve Cohen officially became the owner of the New York Mets, the team announced GM Brodie Van Wagenen and the rest of his front office staff left the organization.

In addition to Van Wagenen, Special assistant to the GM Omar Minaya, assistant GMs Allard Baird and Adam Guttridge, and player development direction Jared Banner all left the Mets.

“I want to thank Brodie, Allard, Adam and Jared for their contributions over the last two years,” President of Baseball operations Sandy Alderson said in a statement. “I especially want to thank Omar for his long and distinguished service to the Mets in many important capacities.”

Van Wagenen, who had two years left on his contract, was unable to guide the Mets to the playoffs in his two seasons as GM. The former player agent saw his team go a combined 112-110 from 2019-20.

After his announced exit, Van Wagenen released a statement, thanking the Wilpons, congratulating Cohen, and appreciating his front office-mates and former players.

“We took a team that had suffered losing seasons in 2017 and 2018 to contention in 2019 and onto a chance for real success in 2020 prior to the pandemic,” Van Wagenen wrote. “The energy and excitement of the fans in 2019 will stay in our minds forever. While we didn’t reach our goal in 2020, the work that you put in to keep everyone safe and healthy in the midst of the COVID-19 threat played a significant role in the return of and the successful completion of the Major League Baseball season.

“To the Mets Players: Major League Baseball exists because of your extraordinary talent and teamwork. Your commitment to be the best you can be every day is inspiring. Your performance brings families and friends closer to each other and unites us as a community. Thank you for you for the memories past, present and future.”

image.gif

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What are your thoughts on BVW? I think he made some bad trades, but I believe he had a mandate to win now. That's why Cano was brought in. That said he was handcuffed in FA by Wilpons. I think with Sandy's experience, he can help groom BVM. He has made some nice moves in the draft. 

Just soooo happy the Wilpon's are gone.Yes Yes Yes GIF

I would have been okay with him staying, but I am okay trusting Alderson to make the right choice.  Rumors he's looking at Billy Owens of Moneyball fame.

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

I would have been okay with him staying, but I am okay trusting Alderson to make the right choice.  Rumors he's looking at Billy Owens of Moneyball fame.

Interesting. I loved that movie if for no other reason than how they broke down the decision making process on guys like Youkilis, Hattenburg, Bradford. We need someone who can unleash the potential of Davis, Alonso and McNeill and salvage the careers of Matz and Diaz. 
I hear Cohen wants to invest heavily in Saber-metrics. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/amp/A-s-exec-Billy-Owens-artist-of-scouting-13622245.php

5 hours ago, section314 said:

I think you mean Billy Beane.

I think he means Paul DePodesta. He's with the Browns right now but I think Sandy's relationship and Cohen's money can get him back to what he does best....... evaluating MLB talent.

In 1996, DePodesta got his first baseball job with the Cleveland Indians, where he spent three seasons. He served as an advance scout for two years and in his final month with the club was appointed special assistant to general manager John Hart.

In 1999, he joined the Oakland Athletics organization as an assistant to general manager Billy Beane. DePodesta was a key figure in Michael Lewis's book Moneyball. The book thrust the analytical principles of sabermetrics into the mainstream.

On November 8, 2010, DePodesta was hired as the vice president of player development and scouting for the New York Mets by general manager Sandy Alderson, with whom DePodesta worked when Alderson was CEO of the Padres.[6]