32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Mets got Degrom extension done! Thank the gods!

$137.5 over 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

8th inning last night was brutal, lucky to still be in the game after that.  At least it was nice to see Diaz come in and blow them away in the bottom of the 11th.  3 batters, 3 striekouts, no drama.  Just what you want out of a closer.

Message sent to the Phillies.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, faba said:

The bullpen has been a disaster so far-who would have thought the Mets and their tradition would be bailed out by offense - at least so far

Interesting exchange last night in the 8th inning  between Gary and Keith. Gary bought up idea of Kimbrell.  Keith followed up with Kuechel. I would love Kimbrell if he would agree to be 8th inning guy, want no part of Kuechel. That said, they need to hit the ejector button on Vargas ASAP. You can't give up a game every 5 days.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Good job by the bullpen last night. Lugo seems to be coming around, Gsellman needs to continue off his most recent outings and maybe Familia can get started.

Never thought I would be saying this, but please sign Gio Gonzalez.

They have to consider it. Familia still scares the crap out of me, hasn't been the same since Alex Gordon in gm#1 of the series. One other thing...the pitchers better start protecting our hitters. Guys get hit every damn game.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have never seen so many balls riding in on hitters hands as this season. With this damn juiced ball, pitchers are having to pitch inside.

Gio lost his best stuff a couple of years ago. But, he is that crafty lefty that seems to get guys out somehow. His career numbers are great at Citi, too. Plus, he is not Vargas. I would much rather have him than Keuchel. 

Agree on all points. Just let Gio pitch at home😎 Remeber when the Mets had Randy Jones(I think 1982) and they only let him pitch on the road?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

C'mon guys. I can't believe you're griping about Callaway, pitch counts, and Angel Hernandez (who does suck by the way).

Look back at the scores the last 10-14 days. We're simply not putting up runs. The pitching has bee good enough to win. I hate to admit it, but this team is taking on a familiar look. It's the beginning of May and another good start has melted away already.

Hopefully they'll come out of it, but I'm starting to think I was spot on with my opinions of some of our hitters. Frazier, Ramos, Lagares and Rosario are simply not going to be part of the solution here.

That's 4 starters out of 8. You can get away with one or two dead spots in a lineup, but not 4. Nimmo has struggled, but there's something I like about this kid. He seems to have a good approach up there, lets be patient with him. Cano could become an issue also. I mentioned to @joenamathwouldn'tcry earlier in this thread that he's a 38 year old in the post PED era, and is coming off a suspension. I realize we had to take him and his contract to acquire Diaz, but like I told Joe, this has George Foster written all over it.

When Lowrie comes back, I think Frazier gets shown the door.The other three guys I can live with. Nimmo has to lead off, period. He is not a middle of the lineup guy. Lowrie will change this lineup dramatically.

• Upvote 1

Whether it's ultimately the right decision, I'm getting the feeling that unless this team turns it around by the end of this month, Calloway is a goner. Brodie doesn't seem like the most patient of guys, and I doubt Riggleman is here to make sure they don't bat out of order.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faba said:

Rock bottom almost to lose to a minor league team in danger of being swept. Calloway can not survive this disaster remember he is not the GM's guy

Gase has got a couple of months before camp starts. He'd have a field day getting rid of guys on this team.😁

The only 4 guys anybody would want( Jake, Conforto, Rosario and Alonzo) are the core of the future. Anybody else, however, help yourself😀

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You hold onto Diaz. Prior to last night, he had a 1.64 ERA.

It came up today that the Mets feel that the Dodgers may be stealing signals. They are not the first team to bring this up (why they do it to the public, I have no idea). Dodger batters are taking healthy cuts, a lot. Up to the Mets to better disguise their signals.

Or drill somebody

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

With you on those 4. I’d keep Lugo and Gselman as well. They’ve both been solid and can slide into starting roles. Trading deadline can’t come soon enuf. This season is shot already. Wheeler, Thor, Matz all need to go as they could provide numerous and much needed prospects as our farm system is, let me be polite, defunct of talent. Dom,Familiia, Ramos, Nimo, Frazier, Diaz could bring draft picks and maybe a few prospects as well. No one is touching Cano unless he goes on a tear which is unlikely.  I’d also bring up that young lefty Kay who is pitching lights out in Double AA. Is he the lone star in their farm system? I don’t hear of anyone else. He could take Vargas’ spot as the #5 pitcher. They should just cut Vargas’. He is useless and killing the bullpen. He can’t even go 4 innings. It’s a joke. It’s time to clean house. 

Tnx for mentioning Dom. Keep him too.

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

This trade was a bad move by brodi. Diaz has been a disappointment, Cano has sucked and kelinek is flying up the minor leagues.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Should not have made deal if it include Kelenik since we were picking up the rest of Cano's horrible deal. Since Brodie got him that deal, he should have known better.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I think if the Mets are sellers they need to go all out. Only two players who should be considered untouchable at this point are alanso and conforto imo.

Id' add Jake and Rosario.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Degrom is a good pitcher but good pitchers don't seem to last as long as they used to. Look at Harvey that guy was an ace and he fell apart...we should have traded him away when he had value We could have gotten some elite prospects instead we held on too long and his value was next to nothing. I love Rosario but even him I would trade for the right price because our top prospect currently is another shortstop and he should be coming up to the majors later this year or early next.

Good point, but he's young and is just starting to show what he is capable of. Plus, we have nothing in the system, other than the kid you mentioned, as far as position players go. Would be tough for me to trade him, but you do make a good point.

Wanted to share this with my fellow Met fans. Was just about to go under yesterday morning for a small operation on a toe on my right foot, when I asked the anesthesiologist if when I woke up, the Mets would be in 1st place? His answer was pretty funny...." I doubt it because I can't do suspended annimation." 😁

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

There is always the possibility of moving him to second or third or moving giminez too. Our farm system right now is one of the worst in the league and if kelenik ends up being good that is going to sting a bit. We need some more decent prospects right now alanso is looking like he has face of the franchise potential and we need to surround him with some more young kids who are hungry for wins instead of older guys who just want a paycheck. That is my opinion at least. Truth be told though I think guys like jd davis Rosario conforto and McNeil are good building blocks.

Absolutely. An infield of Alonso, Giminez, Rosario and McNeil wouldn't be terrible. Not at all.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets did get back $20m on a $120m  deal (what is left). 

Also have to remember that the deal allowed them to dumb Swarzak and Bruce back on the Mariners.

The deal will not be terrible if the Mets spend in the future. That is a BIG if.  

True, $ is $. The reality will be, who will have the better career, Diaz or Kelenik? Obviously, starting in 2019.

• Upvote 1

Like an absolute idiot, stayed up to watch the disaster last night. I'll make this short.....Familia is of no use whatsoever any more to this team. The Mets should release him today, and admit the mistake. Put everybody out of their misery.

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

BVW's moves have been a disaster so far.  I hated the big Cano trade for many reasons, but I guess he had to "go for it" with the elder Wilpon getting close to moving on... Just a stupid trade on many levels.

It's not time to go full out seller mode yet (neither the Phillies or Braves are running away so far).

Familia was signed for (gulp) three years. They are stuck with him.

No they are not..eat the damn contract and get rid of him. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nice piece of managing again last night by The Mick!   This F'ing guy with the pitching staff is unreal.  What a turd.

This season is done.

Supposedly apologized to the team for taking Noah out. Two of the last three games he took veteran pitchers out of games to turn it over to the worst bullpen in baseball. These guys pitch once every 5 damn days, let them win or lose their own games. Calloway is in way over his head. Is not getting any better....he's getting worse.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Stop.  He apologized?  Oh for ****s sake...this team...

Heard it on news this AM. Did it in clubhouse after game.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

In reality, 2 players that are carrying the team right now, are 2 players that this forum wanted on a trash heap-- Vargas and Todd Frazier.

Just the way it goes sometimes. The vaunted starting staff has been a true disappointment. Yet somehow they are hanging around .500

Had a stat last night on Sportnite SNY. Over his last 8 starts, Vargas has an era of 2.20. That's not a misprint. 

I posted a few weeks ago after a terrible loss to Arizona that the Mets should release Familia because he has absolutely nothing to offer this team, and was met with a fair amount of resistance. After last night, anyone still feel that way?

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The issue is not with Familia.  It does not matter how bad he is or how many times he blows or how many games he ignites.

He will never be released.  Not by this ownership.  Not by this team.  Not even benched by this manager.

I assume you heard what Mickey said last night, following this latest disaster.  He is here for three years, he is going to "work" with him, whatever that means,  and that the erstwhile manager in charge, likes the fact that this team, "never gives up".

Heroin addicts are more in touch with reality than this guy.  The "ship be sinkin" and this chucklehead is the only one who doesn't see it.  Why is a washed up Carlos Gomez or a "never was" Juan Lagares still patrolling center field? 

What happened to Familia's splitter of two years ago.  He doesn't use it anymore.  Instead we see flat mediocre sliders and pedestrian fastballs down the middle of the plate.  There is no aggressiveness by the pitching staff, pitching inside, or a plan of attack.  Successful innings produce by relievers are met with a removal after one inning and replacement by the next jag in line.  Why can't Gsellman or  Lugo finish a game if they're going well.  Callahan is a pitching guru?   Then I am a nuclear physicist.  The pitching "coach" needs to be fired.  This bullpen sucks.

Status quo is not going to get much better.  If a move is not made in the next two weeks, we will have our answer about Brodie.  More of the same by the Wilpons, wrapped up in a different package.  DISGRACEFULL!!!!

I have not watched a full game recently.  In and out, because the predictable, impending fiasco makes it too maddening to watch.  If this continues, I will watch even less.  McNeil, Alonso, and the occasional at bat by Conforto and Dom is all that's worth it.  That and Wheeler and Jake.  Nothing more than that.  Pisses me off.

As bad as the Jets have ever been, it's never come to that.  I will never turn off a game.  Whether it's the fact that there's only sixteen of them, and makes them precious, I don't know.  What I do know it this sh*t is unwatchable, and I've got better things to get aggravated about.

Glad I got that off my chest.  Guess I can go golfing now.

Great post. Agree with most of it. I would have released him last night. You are probably right, though. If they won’t release him, he should be banished to Syracuse. He can ever pitch for them again. Period.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Does Callaway make it until the All-Star break ? I say NO .

This road trip is his litmus test. Anything less than 5-6 may be the end of him.

9 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

It’s about time the Mets look to make some drastic moves.They have a good young core to build around  in DeGrom, Alonso, McNeil, and Conforto. 

And Dom Smith. Dom should be playing left field every day, McNeil 3rd base every day.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This team is better than this...

I honestly felt this way up to about a week ago, but now really think they are what they are. I'm 61, and have been a Mets fan for 55 years. I live and die with this team, as well as the Jets. My psychiatrist calls it the "Shea Stadium Principle." 😀 If you look at this team objectively, and follow the old baseball adage of strength up the middle, you can see why this team is where they are.  Catching..... Ramos may be the worst defensive catcher in MLB. Only thing saving him is that Nido can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. It's evident that the starters don't like throwing to Ramos. Jake won't put up with it anymore. Was Devin Messarocco the real reason this staff pitched so well last year? Ramos' hitting is why this position gets a grade of C-. 2nd base.....Cano, need we say more? Grade D. Shortstop......Rosario is a much better offensive player than he is a defender. It's scary how many balls he doesn't get to that most other MLB shortstops do. Since the number 1 prospect in the organization is a SS, Rosario's days at that position here seem numbered. I believe the Mets last year were toying with the idea of trying Rosario in CF, maybe that's something they may revisit, based on the fact we don't have a CF. Grade C   Center Field...... Gomez and Lagares are the same player, and neither one should be playing. They can't hit, are adequate, at best defensive players now, and basically don't add anything to this team. Grade D.  Starting Pitching.......Jake is great, period. Noah is great in his mind only. Wheeler and Matz have no guts, and Vargas has been tremendous. To be fair, the Ramos factor will let me grade this on a curve( pun intended)  C-. Bullpen....why waste the time  Grade F.  Alonzo, McNeil, Conforto and Dom(scary how the Mets can't seem to get a guy hitting .340 into the lineup everyday) have been great, and are blocks to build upon. Frazier and JD Davis are good depth guys. But the guys I graded above are the reasons this team is what it is, which is not good.  I know this may sound nuts, but if Calloway somehow survives the season and gets this team anywhere near .500, he should get a raise!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, when you put it that way...I'll just put this delicious bar of soap in my mouth and go about my day.

LOL...My attempt at being @Sperm Edwards wasn't a shot at you, it's just something I honestly feel. It kills me to watch this stuff.  The icing on the cake is that these last two years shows just how incredibly valuable Cespedes is to this team. That may be the final kick in the nuts.😎

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, we just fired Dave Eiland.  I guess all of our problems are solved now.

As I pointed out above, Mesorocco was far more important to this team then anybody knew. He’s really the only major difference as far as the pitchers go. Big mistake. Noah and Wheeler has career years with him, now they look like they should be in AAA.

Can’t believe they are turning this over to Phil”the vulture “Regan. Us old timers, who remember the 1969 season, know him as the Cubs closer in those days. They didn’t’ call guys that back then, but that’s what he was. Was ion that Cubs team that the Mets caught in 1969. 

The thing that is truly mind boggling is that Calloway is a pitching coach and he couldn't see that Lugo didn't have it.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company