32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

I think Beltran will step down.  What a disaster for the Mets if so.  Why is it not surprising.

I'm happy that Starling Marte got traded to a team other than the Mets.  I was convinced all offseason that we were going to overpay for him.

• Upvote 2

GMs know that Brodie is a mark and they try to take advantage.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/why-didnt-mets-trade-for-pirates-starling-marte-snys-andy-martino-explains/312568648

Although the Diamondbacks reportedly traded only INF Liover Peguero and RHP Brennan Malone -- Arizona's Nos. 18 and 8 overall prospects, according to MLB Pipeline -- the Pirates apparently wanted more from the Mets for Marte.

23 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Juan Lagares signed with the Padres . Wilmer Flores signed with the Giants .

Dude, enough with the baseball.  It's XFL season.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

P – in (11):

deGrom, Syndergaard, Porcello, Stroman, Matz, Wacha, Diaz, Lugo, Betances, Familia, Wilson

P - ? (12): Brach, Sewald, Gsellman, Bashlor, Zamora, Rumbelew, Gonsalves, Lockett, Y.Ramirez, E.Ramirez, Oswalt, Wahlen (forget anyone?)

Only two of the above group so I say Gsellman and Brach. Syracuse is going to have a pretty good AAA staff

Batters – in (10)

Ramos, Alonso, Cano, Rosario, Davis, NcNeil, Conforto, Nimmo, Cespedes, Marisnick,

Batters - ? (8)

Rivera, Nido, Smith, Adams, Lowrie, Nunez, Guillorme, Cordell (missing anyone?)

So only three spots …

1 of Smith or Adams (Adams out if they can’t trade Dom)

1 of Nido or Rivera (Nido for D?)

1 of Nunez, Guillorme or Lowrie (I like Nunez of that group, they should just take Lowrie out behind the barn and put him out of his misery)

Looking at this, I think that this could be a good year

Dom, Brach and Gsellman are the top 3 in that list (not necessarily that order among the relievers.  That’s aways year-to-year)

On 2/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, 14 in Green said:

Nimmo is an analytic Star. He’s above average in CF, and a big plus offensively.

If you go by the metrics, he’s a good guy to have in the lineup, he really is.

To me, he also passes the eye test.  I remember when he came back from injury last year and he seemed to really help the lineup.  Having a long AB where you end up getting on base has to be frustrating for the opposing pitcher.  Glad we have a guy like him in the lineup.

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, section314 said:

Think he would have been doing more than singing if Cohen took over.😁

Steven Cohen was a big fan of Bobby V?  How big a role do you think he would've gotten under Cohen?  Like a GM or manager type gig?

On 6/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, section314 said:

The ex-GM on the MLB set said that the CF we took last night has defense to play in the majors right now. Loves the angles he takes and says he gets to balls in the gap quicker than anyone he's seen in a long while. I agree, we will probably take a pitcher, or two, tonight. With Noah out, and both he and Stroman FA's next year, will need to add arms. Looks like we hit it on the two kids we took in rds 2&3 last year.

Eh, not all that exciting unless his offense turns out to be legit.  There are probably great defensive OFs who can't hit that can be acquired.  OTOH, if we're getting an Erstad or Dykstra (even pre-roids), that would be an outstanding pick!

The early returns are good on the guys we got in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Wolf and Allen - both pitchers) last year? 

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, The Crimson King said:

Matz to the pen according to SNY last night

guess they are impressed enough with Wacha

Always nice to have too many pitchers

They'll probably blow out Matz's arm in order to protect Wacha (who the Cardinals apparently gave up on).

On 3/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, 32EBoozer said:

McDowell & Orosco.... I loved that righty/lefty duo. Great game... lots of memories. Carter, Hernandez, Tuffel, Knight, Mookie, Wally and Lenny, Maz, Mitchell, Gooden , Straw, Ojeida, Davie, Mel, Darling, Fernandez......................,,

What a great group of characters with great no quit attitudes. Don’t think I’ll love a team more than them, and I was around for ‘69. 

What about the 1999 Mets?  Not saying they were better or had more heart but are they in the discussion at all?

On 3/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Yogi in the Astros dugout! Lol

I think Tom Seaver was in the Red Sox dugout for game 7 of the '86 world series.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

@Trolly McTrollface @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @BROOKLYN JET @Scott Dierking @Jetsfan80 @Lith

To all my fellow Mets fans....... perhaps you can explain to me the disparity in passion between Mets & Yankee fans? 

I started the Mets 2020 thread on March 15th because I love this organization and missed talking with other fans. As such, we have over 1,000 posts during a paused season due to  a national pandemic and economic collapse. 

The 2020 Yankee thread only appeared two days ago and has 11 posts.... I don’t get it🤨

Is it the fact that our personalities always root for the runt of the litter/ the castoff/ the poor suffering soul? Is that why we love talking Mets baseball 24/7?

I just don’t understand their apathy. Insight appreciated. 

I'm guessing that teams like the more "star crossed" franchises like the Mets (and Jets) make the fans more hungry to win and thus we talk about it more.  Yankee fans probably have an expectation of winning it all this year and so they might not care to talk as much about pre-season concerns.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets got all of their draft picks signed, with the signing of JT Ginn.

Seemingly, another good draft by Brodie.

You know, if he did not have the Kelenic trade on his resume, he could possibly look pretty decent.

Absolutely!  I could've easily forgiven him for Jed Lowrie if that was his worst move.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling the Kelenic trade is going to haunt us for a long time.  

• Upvote 2

It's getting to the point where I'm kind of almost liking Brodie as GM.  Other than the Kelenic trade (obviously!) which I have a really bad feeling is going to go down among the worst in Mets history, I've liked his general approach here (given the financial limitations).

• Upvote 2

The Mets have 1 big advantage over the rest of baseball in a 60 game season.  We (almost) always win our 1st game of the year so it's like we're only playing a 59 game season.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gsellman also on the IL with triceps tightness.  So, who is our 5th starter?  Walker Lockett? Corey Oswalt?  Someone not on team yet?

Doesn't this figure.  And Wheeler is healthy in Philly.

Plus Mookie Betts signed a 12 year deal with the Dodgers so, even if we get Steve Cohen as our next owner, Betts won't be a Met.

Murderer of the elderly, Andrew Cuomo, had to stick his ugly mug on TV right before the first pitch to say "job well done".  Guy never misses an opportunity to act like he's some sort of hero.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

deGrom 1k's, one walk, no hits to start off

throwing hard

Maybe this year he throws the first legitimate no-hitter for the Mets

I say that too.  I hate that our "no-no" isn't legit.  Hopefully, it's Jake who gets it (since it's not going to be Doc or Seaver).  3 legends.

• Upvote 1

McNeil hitting into the DP.  Guy stinks!  

/s

(he crushed that ball)

I just saw a fan in the stands.  Like an actual human!  Behind the plate on the left side (from the CF camera).

I wonder how well these cardboard cutouts can withstand heavy wind/rain.

I also wonder if the cardboard cutouts sitting behind home plate cost more than in the upper deck.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Put it in the books.

1-0 win.

1-0 record.

The Metsies are Amazin' on opening day!

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Crimson King said:

Mets win

On track for a 60-0 season, still not as many winas as the '67 club though

Diaz with a save. Slider was working but he did give up itwo long fouls

Best part about baseball is there is another game tomorrow

I wonder if the Mets will win fewer games this year than they did in 1962.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Actually if they go 40-20, it would match '86 as their best ever winning percentage

With 16 teams in the playoffs, 30-30 should get them in the post season

And match 1962 for fewest wins in a season.  A connection between their best and worst seasons in team history.  That would be WILD!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yoenis Cespedes has now homered in 3 straight games.  Ot took him over 800 days to do it. 

Per ESPN stats.

It was like May 2018, July 2018 and July 2020.  Has to be some sort of record.  IIRC, one of the HRs (I think his most recent before today) was against the Yankees.

15 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

METS WIN !!!!! METS WIN !!!!! METS WIN !!!!!!!

Diaz doesn't suck !!!!!!!!!

It's a bit early to say that.  Freddie Freeman hit a bomb off Diaz but it was foul.  Matt Adams might have also hit one that would've been a homer had it not been foul as well.  But definitely not complaining.  1-0!

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

After a season (and a game) I still have no idea what to make of Diaz.  His stuff is electric.  96+ fastball, tight breaking slider.  He looks unhittable at times.  But he seems to make that one bad pitch that always comes back to bite him.  I can see how he was so dominant in Seattle a couple of years ago. 

Maybe it is a good sign that last night, the mistakes were foul balls, last year, they leave the park.  We need 2018 Diaz this season.

My expectations on Diaz are very low.  I think he got lucky to not give up a game-tying HR last night.  I agree that his stuff looks like it's very good but somehow he seems to gets rocked on a regular basis.

It's really a shame that we lost Syndergaard this year.  (Wheeler too but we lost him due to the Coupons, not injuries.)  Jake and Noah would've been a very strong backbone for our pitching staff.  With our lineup and having a DH this year, we'd be a real threat.  It's not out of the question we can still be very good but our pitching staff has a lot of question marks now.

If Brodie didn't make the Cano trade, we would've kept Kelenic plus we would've had the cash to pay for Wheeler.  As much as I like how he handled his 2 drafts, that trade is an absolute abomination.

The Marlins had 14 players test positive and they canceled their home opener.  This doesn't bode well for the season.  You can't have 1 team that plays with all minor leaguers.  Plus now both the Marlins and Phillies are going to fall behind on games in a season where there aren't that many off days to begin with.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

This was the exact purpose of having the expanded rosters. They wouldnt have started up again if the plan was just to cancel if a team got it. At least you'd hope they'd have more sense than that.

Right, I hear you.  But I don't think MLB is actually going to let one team play with a squad of all minor leaguers.  It won't be a good look for the sport at all.  I'm guessing the expanded rosters were more for a couple of players going down.  Losing 14 players in 1 day would kind of take away the integrity of the games.  At least that's my gut feeling of how baseball will view it.  I could absolutely be wrong about that.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company