32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

You have to ask is an elite closer more valuable than a 5 tool OF prospect. Let me answer my own dumb question. NO!!!!!
This trade was a bad move by brodi. Diaz has been a disappointment, Cano has sucked and kelinek is flying up the minor leagues.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Here's my " two cents" idea of the day.  For what it's worth.
When, and if,  you have to blow up this pitching staff, you extend Zach Wheeler, and deal Noah Syndergaard.  It's a man vs. boy thing.  Wheeler is a competitor, while Noah seems like a perpetual "wanna be".  I know about the age difference, doesn't matter to me.
Wheeler will be a top of the rotation starter for the duration of Jacob DeGrom's prime years. Noah will bring much more back in a trade, too.  Wheeler at the trading deadline, would be a waste.  If that were the scenario, last year was the time to do it.  That ship has sailed.
We would be VERY foolish to trade Diaz, now or in the near future.  He is under control, at very reasonable money for several years.  Talent like this kid isn't readily available, if ever.  It's just a rough patch.  It'll pass.
Have reconciled myself to giving up Dom Smith.  Too bad.  Doesn't have a position on this team.  At least they didn't dump him last year, for a "bag of balls".  That would've been typical.  Looks like they'll be able to sell high on Matz too.  Not a long term solution, despite his recent "revelation".  Will always give up the game killing Home Run.  Always.
Juan Lagares needs to follow Keon Broxton out of town soon.  I don't care how great of a fielder he is.  There are plenty of those.  He doesn't save games.  Doesn't hit, never will.  Tired of watching his plate appearances.  They tend to make me sick.  You can't steal first base.
I think despite the frustration of watching this team, this season is far from over.  As bad as it's been, they are still very much in it.  Atlanta is not for real.  The Phillies probably are.  Washington is toast.  We haven't had a "run" of victories yet this year, nor has the team had time to "jell".  Think it will come.  Wait to get healthy.  Soon.  McNeil is coming back.  Cano will hit at some point soon.  Conforto is back,  Alonso, well......
One more thing.  F*ck Cespedes.  He is a loser.  Don't want to even see him back next year.  I'm that mad.  Trade him, cut him, cripple him, I don't care.
I think if the Mets are sellers they need to go all out. Only two players who should be considered untouchable at this point are alanso and conforto imo.

Id' add Jake and Rosario.
Degrom is a good pitcher but good pitchers don't seem to last as long as they used to. Look at Harvey that guy was an ace and he fell apart...we should have traded him away when he had value We could have gotten some elite prospects instead we held on too long and his value was next to nothing. I love Rosario but even him I would trade for the right price because our top prospect currently is another shortstop and he should be coming up to the majors later this year or early next.

Good point, but he's young and is just starting to show what he is capable of. Plus, we have nothing in the system, other than the kid you mentioned, as far as position players go. Would be tough for me to trade him, but you do make a good point.

There is always the possibility of moving him to second or third or moving giminez too. Our farm system right now is one of the worst in the league and if kelenik ends up being good that is going to sting a bit. We need some more decent prospects right now alanso is looking like he has face of the franchise potential and we need to surround him with some more young kids who are hungry for wins instead of older guys who just want a paycheck. That is my opinion at least. Truth be told though I think guys like jd davis Rosario conforto and McNeil are good building blocks.

• Like 1

Mets did get back $20m on a $120m  deal (what is left). 
Also have to remember that the deal allowed them to dumb Swarzak and Bruce back on the Mariners.
The deal will not be terrible if the Mets spend in the future. That is a BIG if.  
Bruce isn't playing bad this year I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped him for a decent prospect

He had no fit on the Mets, that was kind of the point.
I get that. Still the hindsight of it is that this trade is going to Look bad if kelenik looks good. It will look worse if they get a decent prospect for Bruce no one is going to Look back and say Bruce was a bad fit they will say we traded him too soon.

Really, who do the Mets sell on?
I would say Wheeler. Syndergaard? Maybe someone takes a flyer on Frazier. Lagares is not really valuable to anyone. 
Much of the rest of the roster is controllable by the Mets or not really a worthy piece for someone else to buy. 
Plenty of players with value few worth trading.

At least pete alonso is giving us a bit of hope. He is on pace to break the rookie hr record. Too bad the pitching is handing other teams wins

Anyone still debating that we are not the big losers in the Diaz / Cano trade? These guys even have any value left at this point cause kelenik is doing pretty good in the minors and they were able to trade Bruce away.

Bruce?  You mean the guy that beat us with the walk off double yesterday.  Like who didn't see that coming last night.
It is getting comical at this point just how bad some of these losses are.  I may be off by one or two, but I think the bullpen now has 18 saves and 20 blown saves on the season.  Cut the 20 blown saves to 10 and we are right in the middle of things.  
But we have the strongest bullpen in the league after the elite moves we made this off-season?

The whining we’re gonna get if Vladdy doesn’t win this is going to be awesome.
People will forget that Vlad had more than 2 and a half minutes more than Alonso and additionally he also had 6 swings at any balls he wanted free which pete did not get.

• Like 1

Only way trading for stro makes sense to me is if we planned on flipping him again now that we essentially control the pitching market. More likely we will do something stupid now though like keep all of our starting pitchers and trade Diaz away while his value is at its lowest instead of hoping a young kid who had a rough year can bounce back for us next year. We have a few good young players we should be building around not making it so that our entire pitching core is ancient when our offense is hitting their prime.

Vargas was an average pitcher with a below average attitude not sad to see him go though expected more when dealing to a division rival.

Mets have to get at least a top 100 player from Wheeler in a trade. Otherwise, you hold him and if you can't come to agreement, give him the Qualifying offer.
The qualifying offer alone should yield a top 100 player in return (albeit further down the pipeline).
Clint Frazier or andijuar from the Yankees would be good compensation for wheeler without getting a prospect in return.

• Upvote 1

I agree. It’s a great rotation...today.
The problem is, can or will the Wilpon’s spend the money to sign Wheeler? Will they resign Strohman after next year? Will they trade Thor before the start of next season because he’ll want deGrom money?
If the Wilpon’s were the Steinbrenner family, we wouldn’t be that far away from a contender. Get a CF, a defensive catcher, and a SS who can field the position. Presto. 

Presto until Thor gets hurt and our pitchers turn on our catcher and our stud centerfielfer has a diazesq year. Alot of things can happen in a sport and buying the greatest team on paper never turns into a superbowl win

The Mets actually gave the Phillies enough (about 2mil) money to pay the rest of Vargas’ 2019 salary also. Phil’s will be stuck with his ‘20 option though, so Mets actually save another $2million on this deal.
Hard to know what the Mets are thinking though. Can’t say they’re trying for a WC when you give a division rival a decent starter for free basically.
Right now,  ‘20 rotation of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz and Strohman looks formidable. If they aren’t blown away by trade offers, why not go with that and try to fix the defense in the offseason?
This would make sense if the Wilson’s didn’t own the team, and they didn’t hate Thor, or had the money to resign Wheeler. Oh well....

That pitching staff is formidable until you realize we have one of the worst defenses in the sport and that two of our aces are injury prone?

You would have to think that if BVW did not sell low on Wheeler and Syndergaard, he did not do that on Vargas.
His hands were somewhat tied, as he had to clear a spot on the 40 man for the Strohman deal
Vargas trade was a statement more than anything if I have to take a guess. The guy may have been somewhat of a cancer on the team and was expendable. They planned on getting rid of him no matter what they got back which should be pretty clear.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company