32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

We have a top 5 starting rotation, and solid BP

Ramos and Cano and Conforto should put up 80 RBI apiece with Nimmo scoring over 100 this season.

Alonso and Dom having a very good battle at 1st. Dom with better “D” but Alonso with the power stroke. Both stroking at a good avg.

Defense strong up the middle..... I’m predicting 87 wins.

Thoughts?

Wow! Great insights... I didn’t have the time to go in-depth but agree with everything you said. Especially about Todd Frazier.

Hoping to get deGrom signed and hopefully Wheeler. Sandy preferred letting these guys walk to get a 1st round pick... Crazy!

i like what our newGM has been doing.

• Upvote 2

These  are 2 players that will most likely be moved for a low end prospect at the deadline along with Frazier hopefully. Ramos/Pawlecki are serviceable defensively but swing a good bat. Hoping we can trade for a young stud who might be 2 years away somehow.

Lagares has outlived his usefulness, and his trade value too I'm afraid. Same with D'Arnaud, even though I would've loved his bat in the lineup, at this point he seems like an AL type player. I'm not crazy about our Catching, but again, since Piazza when have we had any?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

While the offensive results weren’t there, Nido showed himself to be a strong defensive catcher. In fact, according to Stat Corner, Nido was the seventh best pitch framer in the National League last year. Combine that with a strong arm and his receiving skills, and you have a catcher who is ready defensively to contribute in the majors in 2019.

Surveying the list, there were only four catching prospects ranked from NL East teams. With the Mets having half the catchers from that group and having other promising catching prospects like Ali Sanchez, the Mets catching future is looking bright

@14 in Green  @32EBoozer @Scott Dierking

Good info. Thanks 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Thought exactly the same thing.  More challenging, more variables, more of a thought process.  Maybe tackle that one tomorrow.  Ahmed Rosario would also be one that would be interesting and a challenge, especially with power numbers, steals, Home Runs and RBI's. 

Think this is a great idea 14, it should take as soon as some Mets guys get a wind of it.  Cano was kind of easy, given his extensive body of work and consistency.  Watch him get hurt this year, typical Met luck.  Would they call it a "Cespedes" or a "Wright"?? I wonder..... 

The board is getting kind of stale.  Tired of fighting with all of the Quinnen Williams haters and just the " Debbie Downers" in general.  It gets tedious.. Would like to post an opinion on a Jet move, and not have to defend it, for once.  Haha, like that's ever going to happen.  Oh well....

Sign me up for projections! I'll put my numbers in when I get home.

Until we sign Houston or Wisniewski, people will just be going around in circle jerk arguments. At least the Mets board allows for some good conversation about our beloved Mets until the draft

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

At least since Gato got banned.

Didn't know he got the axe..... although I'm sure he's back under another moniker. That's what I did! :comb:

I think Max knew, but he let me slide.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

$137 mil for arguably the best pitcher in baseball that’s an excellent deal

From the New York Post today:

NL Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom and the Mets have agreed to a $137.5 million, five-year contract, a deal that includes $52.5 million deferred into the 2030s.

New York and deGrom had agreed in January to a $17 million, one-year deal, and he was on track to be eligible for free agency after the 2020 season. The deal announced Monday guarantees an additional $120.5 million over four seasons and includes a team option for 2024 that if exercised would raise the total to $170 million over six years, including $67.5 million in deferred payments.

image.gif.7d1e3eb96fc5d15d7158beaa9ccd8a21.gif

DeGrom’s new deal calls for a $10 million signing bonus, half due on Jan. 2 and the other half on Jan. 4, 2021. He gets a $7 million salary this season, $23 million in 2020, $33.5 million each in 2021 and 2022 and $30.5 million in 2023. The Mets have a $32.5 million option for 2024.

DeGrom’s contract provides for $12 million of his 2020 salary to be deferred, $13.5 million of 2021, $15 million of 2022, $12 million of 2023 and, if the option is exercised, $15 million of 2024. The deferred money is payable on July 1 in the 15th year after it was earned, making the first deferred payment due in 2035 and the option year money due in 2039.

The deferred money recalls the pact with Bobby Bonilla, who gets $1.19 million every July 1 through 2035.

The Red Sox are acting similarly with Chris Sale in a deal that is comparable to deGrom’s. Sale’s deal contains $50 million in deferred money, $10 million each season. That money will be due starting every June 30 in the 15th year after it was earned.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

This smells a little like the Bobby Bonilla deal. 

If he leads us to a Championship I won’t have any issue with Wilpon sending him a check in his 50”s

• Like 1

@joenamathwouldn'tcry

hell of a write-up. Appreciate everything you discussed. Thanks.

Tough loss today. I like the way they fought back today. Enjoying the young kids so far and looking for Nimmo and Conforto to start stroking.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, JiF said:

Strasburg is such a streaky pitcher.  Gets shelled at Nationals Park and pitches a 2 hitter at Citi.

I would have preferred that sent deGrom to the mound for the home opener at Citi! Fans would have gone crazy welcoming back Jacob on a long-term deal!

Instead, Mets offense stinks it up.... you needed the 0.00 ERA STUD out there!

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, JiF said:

True.  Not that Noah is a bad consolation prize but I'm with ya! 

That said, I just learned what the league did to them the night before.  Apparently the league administer drug tests before they left Miami and wouldnt let them leave till they were done.  The flight didnt get off the ground till 11:30pm.  Landing at 3am in the morning with a 1pm home opener?  

That's ****ed up.   

Yeah, by the sounds of it Dom Smith couldn’t fill the sample bottle. 11:30 at night I’m usually getting up to fill a gallon jug! 🥴 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This franchise never ceases to "Amaze" me.  Years change, players change, managers change, the competition changes, and yet the "agita quotient" always seems to remain the same.  Just like our Jets.  It's NEVER  easy.  Guess that's just the way it goes.

Beautiful win today.  Made me want to slit my wrists, but a beautiful win nonetheless.  Matz was his usual maddening self.  Some good signs, some red flags.  Same with Familia.  "The aggravation twins". This bullpen doesn't seem like a finished product, just yet.   Diaz is a real closer.  Nasty stuff. We are blessed.  Conforto is really starting to "get it".  Hope this time it's for good.  Going to have to bench Nimmo for a few games, for perspective's sake.  He's way out of synch.

Mickey Callaway may never be a "Savant" as far as managing the game, but he is a good guy and the players really like him.  Hope we don't have to fire him.  I really like this team.  Hope my nerves can take it...…..

There was a point during the Broxton at bat that the cameraman had a closeup of Braxton and I knew he was going to drive in the go ahead run. Fouled off a couple of pitches and you knew he was locked in on the Nats pitcher. They should rest Nimmo a few days to take the pressure off and let Broxton get some PT. Guy’s a speed machine on the base paths and starting to stroke.

Solid win!

• Upvote 1

Scherzer vs. Wheeler for the rubber game. Wheeler fell in love with the fastball last time out. Hoping he mixes up his pitches and keeps Nats guessing. Don’t let Rendon, Turner or Sato beat you and we’ll be ok.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:43 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

There's no way to Jinx this kid.  He's the real deal.  Great future ahead.  Dom Smith has been a completely different player than what we witnessed last year and before.  Thought he was lazy.  Thought his bat was slow.  I was wrong on both counts.  Two hits tonight, the double in the 9th was impressive.  Don't worry, he has a place on this team.  He's been great pinch hitting too.  And his defense finally is as advertised. I wasn't mad that they sat Alonso tonight.  Dom Smith made that decision look smart.  I felt like he would.

Rosario is a star in the making.  I was so pissed at the prospect of his name being mentioned in trade discussions this offseason.  Thankfully Brodie was too smart for that.  Sandy Alderson wouldn't have been.  Cano hasn't hit yet, but I'm not concerned.  His impact on this team has been noticeable.

Conforto, so far, has been everything that we always hoped for, and most expected.  The future looks bright.  Good win tonight.  Wheeler was strong. Lugo was sharp.  This is fun. Bullpen has been for sh*t, but I am not worried like in seasons past.  Gsellman  will get it straight, and Familia is always going to make you nuts.  It was good to see him feature his splitter more last night.  Seemed like he forgot about that pitch lately.  Has to throw the sinker down and hard like he did when he was at his best.

Love the catcher.  He's a pro.  That's who I wanted from the get go. Didn't want to give up the farm for Realmuto.  Another Genius move by Brodie.  Nimmo is out of his funk.  That didn't take too long.  Great kid.

Now is the time to lock up Conforto on a team friendy contract and see if we can get Wheeler to sign as well. All the smart teams are signing their young talent years before the hit FA. Win/Win for both. Thor and Rosario should be added to that list.

That Atlanta kid signed such a bad deal that his agent may never find future employment!!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:43 PM, 14 in Green said:

Amen to that.

I think the worst problem is that he has no movement on his fastball. Flat straight … Somebody needs to teach him another pitch or a different grip to get some movement on that fastball. Familia's ball moves so much he can’t even control it! Thor needs some movement on what is normally a 98 mph Heater.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Actually nice to see Vargas show some heart. 

Let's bring in Wally Backman and get some aggressive coaching and light a fire under Cano's a$$

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So the Mets trade for a ground ball pitcher who they can only control for 1.5 years to pair with our below average infield defense.

Wtf is happening.

Doesn’t appear we gave up a lot. If Stroehman pitches we’ll we will get good value back in off season or next year trade deadline 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Traded away our 2016 first round pick (# 4 prospect) as well as the # 6 prospect in the system.  Doubt either were going to end up much of anything, but then again Kay had TJ surgery so his development was delayed. 

When I said we seemed to not have given up much, I was going by what Keith Law wrote as far as the grade on these 2 top Mets pitching prospects. I think he had them in over 50 when evaluating Top 100 overall prospects. It's all a crapshoot!!

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That catcher is hitting .195 in double A but is known for his defensive abilities. 

Wtf, not expecting a superstar but we just handed a division rival a starting pitcher who, truth be told, has been pretty good of late. 

Couldn’t we get a catcher hitting .245?

A back end .500 pitcher in his mid-30’s isn’t going to bring much in return. At least it’s npt another 2nd basemen. Catching is a need

Can’t be worried about how a Diaz demotion will look to the press or fan base, BVW! Wins are what matters, so check your ego and put Lugo in the closer role. Relieve the pressure for Diaz and put him in the 7th with Gsellman in 8th.

Hopefully Diaz gets his head together and finds his location again.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

OK.  I have officially bought back in.  Last week, I thought the playoff talk was crazy, but I am in.  We jumped the Dbacks and Giants in the standings last night.  17-6 since the break.  Just 2 1/2 back now and two teams ahead of us.  

As much as I loved the 3 HR 7th inning last night, best part of that game had to be Lugo shutting down the Marlins with no drama in the 8th and 9th.

LFGM!!!

Lugo has been sent by an angel.... with the disappointment of Familia and Diaz, he has been our rock. Watching Diaz in that 1st game I wondered why this guy keeps "nibbling" at the corners? It's like he's lost all confidence. I was begging for Lugo to come in for Diaz but Calloway stuck by him and it paid off. Hopefully that sign of support and getting the 3rd out will be the thing he needed to jump start his season.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Big Meat Pete heating up again. Just in time for the Nats and Braves....

Pete hits another 2-run bomb as well as Conforto. Those 2 plus McNeil and Davis could carry a team for awhile. Cano being out hurts a bit

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

They may yet rip our hearts out, but there is no way you can't be optimistic.  Alonzo and Conforto are going full beast mode.

What kills me is looking back at all those games the bullpen threw away.  Give me back any 3 of them and we are in the wild card.

Let’s hope I wasn’t being prophetic with that post back in March 🤦‍♂️

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Depends how he handles the 9th inning. If he trots Diaz out there with a one run lead this weekend against the Nats, “Meh” doesn’t come close to describing what he is.

Rendon and company are way too patient hitters to chase his junk off the plate. He better come right after them and take his chances rather than walking two and having to put one over the plate with two on. 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Last 3 weeks got them back into the race, Next 3 weeks determines if they stay there.  Nats, Braves, KC, Indians, Braves again and Cubs.  That is one rough stretch.  Time to answer the pretender vs contender question.

Fortunately we will NOT have to face Sherzer who was placed back on the IL. If Stroman can get the win tomorrow over Strasburg and Thor vs. Corbin Saturday, we close it out with deGrom vs. TBD. Met Life should be rocking this weekend series!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Brewers game is still on (tied 2-2) but for the moment, take a look at this beautiful piece of art:

image.png

Phil’s and Milwaukee pull out the win unfortunately. However last nights win with this group of young players was very satisfying. 
Soto and Rendon are studs. Turner is what I hoped Rosario would be, a terror on the base paths. 

That being said Alonso, Conforto, Rosario, McNeil and Davis are a very solid young core if they can continue to develop. Hoping the Wilpons can keep the pitching staff together. 

#LFGM!
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Imagine what the Mets could be if they signed Rendon over the winter as a FA (I know, but let's dream). Bring back Wheeler.

1. McNeil LF

2. Rosario SS

3. Rendon 3B

4. Alonso 1b

5 Conforto CF

6. Davis RF

7. Cano 2b

8. Ramos C

1. deGrom

2. Wheeler

3. Syndergaard

4. Strohman

5. Matz

If they signed Rendon in FA no way they take on Cano salary with Diaz. Hoping Diaz turns it around... we will need a stud closer if we are to make the playoffs. 

They’ll tender Wheeler which may get us another year. Thor contract comes up after 2021 correct?

Citi absolutely  rockin’ again! 44,000 fans screening their heads off. Mets players feeding off it. 

Guillorme hitting that homerun was a freak of nature

mood mind blown GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Drove up to MIlwaukee tonight for the Brewers game.  Sitting in the stands, watching the Mets on the mlb app.  Guillorme hits the home run and I jump out of my seat and scream, "Yes, tie game."  Got some pretty strange looks from the people sitting around me.

LFGM!!!

To bad Brewers won. I’m sure you tried to put the jinx on them 

Uggh! What is up with Diaz? Someone needs to fix this guy. Fans booing him won’t help his confidence. That Alonso error was huge. He makes that throw and it’s a different ballgame 

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Fun game at Citi yesterday even with the outcome, and the stands are energized.

A special treat was as I got my food at the First data restaurant area, I idle up to a table and who is standing across from, but Ed Kranepool. Spoke to he and his wife for about 20 minutes. Great guy and he is doing much better (kidney transplant last year). 

My son caught a foul ball, and gave it to a young child. Overall, great day, even with the L. 

That IS a GREAT DAY!! Happy for Ed.... having donated a kidney 6 years ago I realize how greatly a life can be improved by organ donations.

• Upvote 2

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/powerrankings081219/power-rankings-make-way-new-no-1

Mets ranked ten in latest Power Rankings!

New York Mets
2019 record: 61-57
Week 18 ranking: 17

nym.png&w=220&h=220Think about what has changed for right-hander Zack Wheeler in the past few weeks. He was on the injured list with shoulder trouble, still prime trade-bait material, and his ERA was an unsightly 4.71. Since then, he got healthy, avoided a trade and has won his past three starts, permitting nary a run in the most recent two. He also lowered his ERA to a season-best 4.20. The schedule shows Wheeler facing the Braves and Royals this coming week, both on the road. If he and Steven Matz continue thriving, perhaps a playoff berth is not so daunting. -- Karabell

ICYMI: Key matchups for Mets, other contenders down the stretch

13 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

If it is Judge at 50, he's got a shot.

I thought I read Judge hit 52. I could be mistaken. 

• Upvote 1

38 games remaining..... Must average  1 HR every 3.16 games to tie record

I'd prefer we lock up the WC spot with him hitting singles and doubles and driving in runs. Team over personal stats.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Clev, Braves, Cubs, Phillies, Nats, Phillies, Dbacks, Dodgers, Rockies, Reds, Marlins, Braves.

The wildcard dreams will be gone mid Sept. and the team will finish below .500.  

Sorry, I just have no faith in a hard fought close game vs. good teams.  And we're going to be in for a ton of them over the next 5 series. 

Ugghh!! That is a daunting lineup of teams! We have 7 remaining with Phillies and 6 against Nats! Need to win 3/4 of those games, Beat up on Reds, Marlins and Rockies and try and go combined 3-6 vs. Indians and Dodgers. Need to be even with Atlanta.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company