32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Mets got Degrom extension done! Thank the gods!

$137.5 over 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news.  Glad they got it done.

• Upvote 1

Don't see how Opening Day could have gone much better.  deGrom picking up where he left off, Cano with the HR and 2 RBIs, Diaz with a perfect 9th.  Just the way Brodie envisioned it with his offseason moves.

Only thing that would have been better is if I wasn't stuck in my office watching the 9th inning on my phone.  Can't have everything I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, nycdan said:

I honestly can't remember the last time we lost on opening day.  

When we opened in KC the season after losing the series.  I can understand why you would block it out of your mind. 

My son lives a coule hours north of KC.  We were thinking of going to the opener that year, but there is no way we could have sat through their ring celebration.  We did the NCAA Tourney instead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah, he's a stud.  I just feel like he feasts on us.  

And its not just at the plate.  Have we ever thrown him out on the base paths.  The guy runs at will on us; every time he is on base its at least a double.

Mets are playing some very entertaining baseball this season, but if this first week is any indication of what to expect the rest of the way, they may take a few years off my life.  But it will be worth it if they keep winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

DeGrom was sooo good last night.  Soooo good.  14 K's, 2 shutouts now on the season.  Yes, I think he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Was kind of funny though, I was texting with my brother during the game like; if our bullpen can stay healthy and it comes together the way they envisioned, this team could be a very tough team to beat with the Mets starting rotation.   And then the Mets gave up 4 in the 8th to the Marlins.  lol

Too bad the NL East is the best division in baseball...

Been kind of lucky that the bullpen has not blown any games.  Yet.  I think we have given up 11 9th inning runs in 7 games.  Can't win consistently that way, but at least you also cannot expect the pen to be this bad all year.  Between Lugo, Gsellman, Familia and Diaz, we should be a lot better than we have looked; but its early.  Bound to get better.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This franchise never ceases to "Amaze" me.  Years change, players change, managers change, the competition changes, and yet the "agita quotient" always seems to remain the same.  Just like our Jets.  It's NEVER  easy.  Guess that's just the way it goes.

Beautiful win today.  Made me want to slit my wrists, but a beautiful win nonetheless.  Matz was his usual maddening self.  Some good signs, some red flags.  Same with Familia.  "The aggravation twins". This bullpen doesn't seem like a finished product, just yet.   Diaz is a real closer.  Nasty stuff. We are blessed.  Conforto is really starting to "get it".  Hope this time it's for good.  Going to have to bench Nimmo for a few games, for perspective's sake.  He's way out of synch.

Mickey Callaway may never be a "Savant" as far as managing the game, but he is a good guy and the players really like him.  Hope we don't have to fire him.  I really like this team.  Hope my nerves can take it...…..

Biggest difference this year, though, is the approach at the plate.  It is such a pleasure to see guys work pitchers, foul pitches off, go the other way.  It is not all HR or stirkeout like the last couple of seasons.  Just a bit over a week in, but it looks like Chili Davis was a great hire.  We are still strking out a lot, but the approach at the plate is so much better.  Same strong starting pitching as last year, same nerve-wracking bullpen, but the offense looks so much better and less one dimensional. 

Hopefully they keep it up.

• Like 1

Once, just once, can we please get a drama free 9th inning. 

We are sitting 8-4, feel good about the record, love what I am seeing offensively (as a Met-Jet fan when is the last time I said that) but man, these late innings are brutal.  Not quite sure how we have given up so many 8th and 9th inning runs without it costing us a game yet.  All I am asking for is one game where we have a 9-1 lead after 7; or 6-2 in the 8th.  And we finish it off without drama.  Thought it might happen last night, then next thing you know, Freddie Freeman is the tying run at the plate.  Diaz got him, but its never easy with this team.

First place.  8-4.  Get this bullpen figured out and we might have something this year.

8th inning last night was brutal, lucky to still be in the game after that.  At least it was nice to see Diaz come in and blow them away in the bottom of the 11th.  3 batters, 3 striekouts, no drama.  Just what you want out of a closer.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Well, that was fun.  Drove up to Milwaukee last night.  Sat through all 18 innings of that.  What a depressing way to lose.  This was McNeil in the 16th.  2 innings before driving in what should have been the winning run.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, crowd, stadium, baseball and outdoorHeaded back out there again this afternoon.  Hopefully just for 9 innings of basesall today.  Bullpen is spent.  Vargas pitching.  Lost 10 of our last 11 in Miller Park.  Yup, a lot to look forward to about today's game.

Lets Go Mets!!!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

OK, two things...and I'm gonna try to keep it clean.

1. I Have to give credit where it's due...this team is blessed with the ability to lose games in the stupidest, most agonizing ways possible.

2. Freaking Angel Hernandez! Flexen is an awful pitcher and he has no reason to be on the big roster...but gamecast had at least 2 of those pitches on the walk as strikes. All 4 were called balls.

I was wondering about some of those calls.  From my vantage point, it was tough to tell inside/outside.  But it sure looked like some of those pitches were at least borderline and he didn't get the benefit of the doubt on any borderline pitches.

• Like 1

And, Cano does it again.  Stares at the ball as it stays fair and just stands there while the Marlins complete the double play.  Why am I still watching this sh!t?

Can't make this stuff up.  Yo fractures his ankle in a fall at his ranch.

Is this for real.  Ankles.  Plural???  Or did Brodie misspeak at this presser?

Well, who saw that coming. 4 game sweep of the Nats on the heels of the being swept in Miami. Juan Lagares and Rajai Davis the heroes yesterday. Carlos Gomez today. Needed this reminder that baseball can be fun.

Let’s go Mets!!! Keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

Like an absolute idiot, stayed up to watch the disaster last night. I'll make this short.....Familia is of no use whatsoever any more to this team. The Mets should release him today, and admit the mistake. Put everybody out of their misery.

2nd night in the past week that I went to sleep feeling pretty secure in a win.  2nd morning in the past week when I woke up to read about a bullpen implosion snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  Close out these two games, we would be looking at this team completely differently right now.  Maybe they should just end the games when I decide to go to sleep.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Perfect time to take a break from this team.

Got them coming here to Chicago this week.  Maybe my last weekend of showing any major interest in the season -- got tix for Thursday night.  Going to try to skip work on Friday and catch the day game -- because even a bad day at the ballpark is better than a good day in the office.  Chill out in the bleachers at Wrigley.  Couple of beers, couple of dogs, makes for a good day no matter what happens on the field.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I sat on one of the rooftops a few years ago. 

Cool event to do...once. Couldn’t really see much of the game but had a great time. 

Much prefer being in the friendly confines. 

Beer garden after was great too. 

Been living out in Chicago area about 20 years; never been to one of the rooftops, and I would not want to go for a Met game -- for exactly the reason you mention.  I assume I would not see much of the game (might be a bonus right now).

Not a big fan of Wrigley; its a bucket list item for any baseball fan, but I am not thrilled with sight lines, seating options, obstructed views and I especially don't like the prices for the last few years since the Cubs have been good.  I love the neighborhood in and around the stadium, but the stadium itself is not one of my favorites.

So, we just fired Dave Eiland.  I guess all of our problems are solved now.

20 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

WHERE WAS DIAZ ? WHERE WAS DIAZ ? WHERE WAS DIAZ ? WTF ? WTF ? WTF ? FIRE CALLAWAY NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

5 outs away from what could have been a season changing series at Wrigley.  Even if not season changing, still a chance at a really upbeat weekend at Wrigley.  And then it all comes crashing down.  Why is it that managers (I am talking about you MIckey) find it so hard to put their best reliever in the game in a tight spot with the game on the line if its earlier than the 9th inning.  One run lead, two runners on base, one of the Cubs best hitters coming up.  But its not the 9th inning, so you can't go with the closer.  He is the 9th inning guy.

And then, we completely embarrass ourselves in the locker room after the game.  Is anyone, anywhere discussing Pete Alonzo's record breaking afternoon.  No.  It is all about an altercation with a reporter in the locker room.  This team is toxic.  They need change -- and not just the new pitching coach.  Time to send Mickey packing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Just turned the game on up 5-3 and just shut it off 6-5. 

Oh, sh*t, before I could turn it off, literally as I’m typing this, 7-5. 

F*ck this. 

Its nice to see the way this team picks each other up.  Before he got hurt, Familia was the guy blowing late inning leads every night.  But, when a guy goes down, you want to see his teammates pick him up.  And now, its a different guy every night.  Don't worry, Jeurys, we got you covered: 

• Lugo on Sunday: 1.1 innings pitched; 3 ERs
  • Pounders yesterday: 1.2 innings pitched; 5 ERs
  • Font tonight: 0.1 innings pitched. 3 ERs

Nope, we are not missing Familia a bit.

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

It's 7:01 ; which bullpen ace will spit the bit tonight ? I say it's Gsellman's turn .

Sorry.  Lugo tonight.  Are we going to end up losing this game on a wild pitch stirkeout?

Well, that was entertaining.  Sitting at work, I take a look online and see the Mets down 1 heading into the 9th.  Flip the game on on the mlb app.  2 run homer by Frazier, RBI grounder by Rosario.  3-1 lead heading into bottom of the 9th.

Then Diaz gets lit up for 5 in the bottom of the 9th.  Why did I do this to myself.  Could have just stayed focused on work, looked at the score tonight and thought, just another loss.  Maybe its karma for watching baseball when I should be working. 

5 straight losses with the bullpen blowing late inning leads.  It is almost comical at this point.

Yup.  That Diaz/Cano deal just keeps looking better and better.

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Anyone still debating that we are not the big losers in the Diaz / Cano trade? These guys even have any value left at this point cause kelenik is doing pretty good in the minors and they were able to trade Bruce away.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Bruce?  You mean the guy that beat us with the walk off double yesterday.  Like who didn't see that coming last night.

It is getting comical at this point just how bad some of these losses are.  I may be off by one or two, but I think the bullpen now has 18 saves and 20 blown saves on the season.  Cut the 20 blown saves to 10 and we are right in the middle of things.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Anyone else excited for the eventual Wild Card tease at or above .500 before the Nats sweep us?!?!?!?!

I am!!!!

All part of the competitive rebuild, my friend.

My father in law actually put money on the Mets to make the playoffs this year.  He is convinced they will turn it around and have a great stretch run.  Lets just say I am not seeing it a lot more like.  Moves we make today, if any, should be with an eye toward 2020.

• Upvote 1

Cant keep running Diaz out there in the 9th inning.  Can't get through an inning without giving up a run anymore.  Demote him from closer role.  Sit him for a few days.  Put him on the IL with "shoulder soreness."  Gotta do something; he can't keep the ball in the park anymore.

Thankfully Ramos gave him enough runs to work with that he was able to survive.  Good come from behind win, but a clean 9th would hve been better.

OK.  I have officially bought back in.  Last week, I thought the playoff talk was crazy, but I am in.  We jumped the Dbacks and Giants in the standings last night.  17-6 since the break.  Just 2 1/2 back now and two teams ahead of us.  

As much as I loved the 3 HR 7th inning last night, best part of that game had to be Lugo shutting down the Marlins with no drama in the 8th and 9th.

LFGM!!!

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

OK, now comes the hard part. Going to face real pitchers rather than the AAA guys they have mostly been going against since the AS break. 

Won't work unless Alonso, Conforto and McNeil rake, Stroman needs be in top form, the main starting pitching to stay healthy and Diaz needs to get his mechanics back (yeah, I know ... That's All?)

The best part about all of this is that there are meaningful games now. Let's see if there still are at the end of the month.

Agreed.  Last 3 weeks got them back into the race, Next 3 weeks determines if they stay there.  Nats, Braves, KC, Indians, Braves again and Cubs.  That is one rough stretch.  Time to answer the pretender vs contender question.

• Upvote 1

Drove up to MIlwaukee tonight for the Brewers game.  Sitting in the stands, watching the Mets on the mlb app.  Guillorme hits the home run and I jump out of my seat and scream, "Yes, tie game."  Got some pretty strange looks from the people sitting around me.

LFGM!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Can someone explain how the fk Matz was pulled at 79 pitches the way he was pitching?? And then he hits and is pulled? I don’t like calling out managers but WTF??

I popped into the thread today to say this ^^^

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

...and he switched out JD.

Why bring Lugo in for the 7th and 8th? So Diaz can blow it in the 9th?

Not to mention Lugo is done tomorrow 

I could go on, but we know Mickey isn’t very good at this managing thing...

And this ^^^

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

This team is so easy to predict.  It’s the same ******* story told over and over and over again.  

The second Mick actually has to make a decision, he sh*ts his pants 

And, finally, this ^^^

But you guys already said it, so I don't have to.  Infuriating game last night.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I was just a series behind, I should have known better that we'd get past the Nats only to be swept by the ******* Braves.

That was all Mick last night though.  The team showed up and he sh*t his pants, again. 

The irony in the whole thing is that he managed the top of the 7th perfectlly.  Everything worked out exactly as he would have hoped.  Leaves Matz in.  He gets a hit.  Starts a rally.  Team takes the lead.  Matz has just thrown 79 pitches.  Retired 14 straight.  Surely he has another inning or two in him.

And then he completely f**ks it all up by pulling Matz.  What did he expect?  3 innings out of Lugo?  Some combination Lugo/Familia/Diaz.  No idea what he was thinking.  There is just no scenario where pulling Matz made sense after letting him hit in the top ofthe inning.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He'd do it 100 out of 100 times, Lith.  The guy rivals Todd Bowles with this game management logic.   

And I still would have no idea what he was thinking, Not after the 50th time.  Or the 75th.  Or even after the 100th time. 

Why it it so hard for the guy to just admit a mistake.  I f**ked up. I made a mistake.  Should have left him in.  I will be better next time. 

Is that so hard.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company