32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

Anyone predicating when Kay shows up here? He didn't do well in his first start at Syracuse but a few good ones in a row and he's in Queens

Also, how long do they  stick with Tebow? He has clearly shown that he does not belong at the AAA level

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No need to rush the kid unless we deal a couple of starters. This team isn’t going anywhere. 

Looks like another loss tonight. That will be 8.5 out and sinking fast.

well the good news is that there will be cheap tix on Stub Hub

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Was at his game when they announced this. No one seemed to care.

I might have been the only one there that even remembered both these guys, both of whom are good Mets trivia answers. Anyone here savvy enough to know either question?

21 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Alonso into the second round of the HR Derby. 

too many bad (good) pitches by his pitcher. Can't afford the time and too many that were not served up properly

Should have brought Matz or Familia with him :)

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Through to the finals against Vlad (beast). 

You're right, his pitcher is awful. 

Hoping Guerrero tired himself out like Josh Hamilton did in that great round in Yankee Stadium in '08(?)

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Gotta love Alonso’s enthusiasm. 

He's only 11 HR from the Mets record for a season with 72 games left

and to think that he actually had to earn his way on to the roster this spring

Before tonight, only 4 Mets have ever driven in a run in an all star game. Mazzilli with a  2 run HR and Wright with a solo shot.  Hojo and Piazza also had 1 rbi games (both on singles), a total of 5 Mets all star RBI's in the team's history. Alonso becomes the only Met other than Mazzilli to have multiple RBI's in a game or a career

Alonso also had a stolen base, albeit on the back end of a double steal.  He's the 7th Met to have one (strawberry did it twice) but only HoJo had a SB and an RBI in one game

All nice and well but damn, I wanted to see a grand slam there. Would have made a nice addition to the story.

It is going to be  a slow post all star run at New Ebbetts Field. McNeil and Alonso chasing records will be the only reason to follow this team every day.

With 72 games left, Alonso needs 12 HR's to break Beltran/Hundley's single season team record. He is on pace for 54 now. Team RBI record is 124. He's on pace for 123. Team record is 80 EBH's, he is on pace for 96. Mets Total base record is 334. He's on a pace for 383. Right now, his slugging pct is .634, 20 points better than the team record. To be even handed here, he is on pace for 166 strikeouts which would also be a team record. If Jack Reacher was a ballplayer, he would be Pete Alonso. All in all, not bad for a rookie. 

McNeil is on pace for 45 2B's. Team record is 44. He is hitting .349, 5 points below Olerud's team record. He was ahead of him before the last game. 

Rookies and sophs tend to fade in the second half as they are not used to the grind of 162, but it would be nice to see both these guys set a new standards here. It is desperately needed

With this team, they'll probably trade both of them next year for some over the hill Fregosi, Foy or Cano type 

• Upvote 1

OK, now comes the hard part. Going to face real pitchers rather than the AAA guys they have mostly been going against since the AS break. 

Won't work unless Alonso, Conforto and McNeil rake, Stroman needs be in top form, the main starting pitching to stay healthy and Diaz needs to get his mechanics back (yeah, I know ... That's All?)

The best part about all of this is that there are meaningful games now. Let's see if there still are at the end of the month.

An aside: Syracuse got no hit last night. Anyone else following them? Remember Ruben Tejeda? He's not on the 40 man roster but the Mets have him down there (bats third mostly) and he's got a .904 OPS playing all three infield positions. Would like to see him up here if Hechavarria or Guillorme fall off

Run of bad news for ex-Mets

Lil' Al Jackson passes at 83

Dotel and Castillo get arrested for "organized crime" activities in the DR. We know that Castillo committed a crime every tome he cashed a Mets paycheck the way he played here so he does have some history

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 5:49 PM, 14 in Green said:

good job, yep, that's the guy.

Just curious, did you remember the other 3 also?

6/15/77: worst day in Mets history. Fans from back then talk about where they were when they heard it like 9/11 or the Kennedy Assassination 

Took 7 years to (almost) recover from it .. almost but not quite yet :(

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, faba said:

38 games left 24 at home where we have played much better than the road. But tougher teams in most of those 38. Need Mcneil back to balance that lineup

Need Diaz to recover some of what he was

Without that … ferrgitabouddit

meanwhile, I get to go to tomorrow night's game late in August with the team still in the hunt

well just like LOTTO, Hey you never know ! (except I haven't won lottery … yet)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Mets winning 10-4, end up losing 11-10 Diaz gives up 3 run homer in bottom of 9th. 

You gotta be sh*tting me. 

This afternoon, the Mets AAA club, Syracuse played the Yankees top farm club in a one game playoff to determine who makes the International League playoffs.

The Mets were up 7-1 in the bottom of the 7th when Scranton scored 5 to make the game close. Then the Mets score 6 in the top of the 8th to go up 13-6.

Scranton proceeded to score 8 in the bottom of the 8th with Nogosek, Pounders and Hanhold, all of who pitched with the big club this year playing the role of Sewald, Avilan and Diaz

Then the Mets go out 1-2-3 in the top of the 9th to lose 14-13. Season over.

The MLB Mets loss tonight was the first time in their history that they lost a game leading by 6 or more runs in the 9th or later. Same story, Season Over.

Yeesh

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Now that the pressure is off, Noah will throw a complete game, 2 hit, 12 k shutout tonight. To Ramos.

worse ... the first legitimate Mets no hitter

• Haha 1

Always sad when the last ballgame has ended and you realize that it is 4 months until even Port St. Lucie games start. I saved the Dom Smith HR on DVR to end the season and we watched it again last night.  Great moment that still holds up.

Usually there are the Jets to cover some of the baseball void period but not this year, C'est la vie. 

Only 147 days until opening day, at home against the world champs. 

Side note, the Astros and Nats share a spring training ballpark (nice park, way overpriced). Will Houston have to see some sort of reminder every time they play a ST home game? 

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, I guess it is Carlos Beltran.

If this is the hill that Brody chooses to battle on, so be it. he has earned the right to hire his guy. Once.

Will be interesting to watch

Would have been nice to see someone who had previous experience as a winner (like Corporate America does, or at least used to) but I'll give Carlos a pass for now.

Agree that it will be interesting to watch

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

Boone worked out well with the Yanks.

Beltran played in NY for years.   He understands the city, understands the team.   He is well respected, rumors were the Yanks looked at him 2 years ago.   I really do think he could be an excellent hire for you guys.

I'm sorry, I don't love Girardi.  Dude gets tight in tight games.

after seeing his intro presser, I kinda like the Beltran move better. 

Only 142 days until opening day ! 

• Upvote 1

Here's an excerpt from MLB Trade Rumors:

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said at the beginning of October that the club’s not going to trade right-hander Noah Syndergaard this offseason. A month and a half later, Van Wagenen hasn’t changed his mind. Teams have called about Syndergaard, but Van Wagenen has rebuffed them, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports. The Mets, if they plan to contend in 2020, don’t seem to be in position to trade Syndergaard. After all, they’re already likely to lose one of their best starters in Zack Wheeler. And Syndergaard’s projected to make an affordable salary ($9.9MM) next year, which is crucial for a New York team that appears to lack financial flexibility.

What I get out of this is "appears to lack financial flexibility". I usually don't let sports get to me but this makes my blood boil. In the biggest sports market in the history of the known world, the Mets act like a small market team. There really should be some sort of law. 

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

5 years, 118  from the phillies

Not so sure this was the best place for Wheeler to go to. He does have a propensity to give up the long ball in bunches and CBP is the bandiest band box in the NL.

Of course in reality, now we'll see him 4 times a year and he'll own the Mets like a modern day Larry Jackson

• Upvote 1

Chris Flexen signed with the KBO club Doosan Bears

He did well in Syracuse but was abysmal in the bigs. 

It is so hard to make that final jump in level. You have hopes that some of these guys will make it big but it is so rare. I'm still waiting on Les Rohr, David West and Juan Berenguer ...

13 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

While true...we do have the Cohen sale on the horizon. I can get through 1 more Wilpon penny pinching off-season with the potential for better days to come. At least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel

Aren't we stuck with Jeffie for another 5 years? 

Betcha it's a complete rebuild by then. 

So no one is excited by the big Jake Marisnick trade? Just what the Mets needed, a .230 hitter. Well at least he hits righty. May as well have kept Lagares?

Rumors still abound about acquiring Marte on a trade. Worried about what Brodie would give up though 

Maybe Syndergaard is in play here for Marte or Correa, both of whom are mentioned as in discussions. I would assume that they would  lose Rosario in a Correa deal. Just talk though. 

One trade I'd like to see is to dump certain underperforming players for some hot prospects. I like some of the kids the Mariners have like Kelinic and Dunn. Maybe they'd take Cano and Diaz?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

W e’d have to pay Cano’s salary, so no. Besides, who’s ever going to make that deal? 😱

Ha! , was just being facetious.

I wonder how much long-term damage that trade will prove to be

meanwhile, some other interesting rumors,

Mets inquired about Hader (would cost way too much and besides the Yankees and Dodgers are also interested so no way the Mets compete without major damage to the roster)  

Rangers and Mets discussing a deal with Dom and Lowrie. I forgot all about the latter, easy enough to do after last year

Mets shopping Familia (sell low, buy high)

all this trade stuff is fun to talk about but let's face it, the Mets just don't have many bullets in the gun

What really needs to happen is Diaz and Familia returning to form, Conforto stepping up one more level, Rosario continuing his second half and one of Porcello/Wacha returning to form. I also would not complain if Syndergaard went for some big player. Kinda had enough of the act and he is just not the star people think he is. 

• Upvote 1

Trivia Time:

Francisco Estrada passed away last week. He played 31 years in pro ball, mostly in the Mexican League but he was a Mets property for one year. His entire MLB career consisted of 4 innings off the bench in a September game. Went 1 for 2 so his lifetime average was .500. 

He did have a significant role in Mets trivia, however. What was it?

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Nolan Ryan trade?

That's the answer 

Ryan, Leroy Stanton (top hitting prospect back then), Estrada and AAA pitcher Don Rose for Fregosi. It's been 48 years and I'm still scratching my head over that one.

BTW: Good trivia work by Mssrs. Lith and Dierking. Maybe we should have a baseball trivia thread here?

According to a New York Post report, Cespedes was injured following a run-in with a wild boar.

The Post has learned all involved parties agreed that Cespedes was injured on the ranch stepping into a hole after an interaction with a wild boar.

According to multiple people who were informed of the incident, Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people. But one boar was removed from a trap — perhaps by Cespedes — and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole. Cespedes suffered the fractured ankle at a time when he was recovering from surgery to both heels that already was jeopardizing his playing status in 2019. The ankle fracture guaranteed that he would not take an at-bat last season.

This not the outcome we were expecting.

Given the Mets’ odd luck with injuries though, perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised by anything.

As the report notes, the injury happened in May while Cespedes was still recovering from offseason heel surgery. Since then, the incident has proven to be a costly one for Cespedes. The amended contract reduced Cespedes’ base salary $29.5 to $6 million for the 2020 season. That’s a potential savings of $23.5 million if the veteran outfielder doesn’t return to full health.

A restructuring of Cespedes’ deal was negotiated after New York filed a grievance and withheld part of his 2019 salary.

The New York Post report says it’s not clear if Cespedes and the Mets agreed to specific language that would make potentially dangerous activities on his ranch a violation of his contract. Though it’s certain that an incident such as the described run-in with a wild boar would fall into the category of dangerous if such a provision exists.

At this point, we’re sure the Mets and Cespedes will be eager to put this incident behind them. On the plus side, the Mets are still hopeful they will have Cespedes available for the upcoming season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were a couple of these at the small new years party we went to a couple of days ago.

Didn't know they were so dangerous. 

• Haha 1

All teams try to steal signs and have been since the sport began. We did this is high school (albeit not too successfully). Why else would a catcher come out to the mound with a runner on second to change the signs or have a more complicated system just for that situation? You can't see it on TV but next time you go to the ballpark. Give a close look to the runner on second and the subtle indications that he might make. the use of technology just makes it more modern in a technology age. 

The punishment for the management and team is harsh but appropriate for face saving sake. To punish a player/ex-player for this is silly.

Maybe they should take away Whitey Ford's HOF induction because he used to pitch a few inches off the rubber or his catcher used to sharpen his belt buckle and nick the ball when he threw it back to the mound? Gaylord Perry? Mike Scott? Tony Armas' corked bat? 

You try for any advantage possible. That is sports and it certainly is business. The talent is in doing it and not getting caught. This is the reality of the world. 

Time to move on

On 1/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

GMs know that Brodie is a mark and they try to take advantage.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/why-didnt-mets-trade-for-pirates-starling-marte-snys-andy-martino-explains/312568648

Although the Diamondbacks reportedly traded only INF Liover Peguero and RHP Brennan Malone -- Arizona's Nos. 18 and 8 overall prospects, according to MLB Pipeline -- the Pirates apparently wanted more from the Mets for Marte.

Peguero and Malone (#1 pick last year) are good prospects but with no more than rookie league experience, I think that the Bucs made an ill advised trade. Only time will tell

Meanwhile, the Mets have some good ones that should be untouchable unless it's a trade deadline deal for a super star when in a legitimate pennant race. Mauricio, Matt Allan (remember THAT name), Giminez, the catcher Alvarez are all keepers. It's going to be painful enough seeing Kelenic in the all-star game, let's not add to that mistake Brodie. 

Also Nimmo or JD for a 31 yr old Marte might not have worked out either. 

Besides, the Pirates should have given the Mets Marte straight up for Walker Lockett to make up for the Don Bosch deal. They still owe us :)

meanwhile, no one wants Dom Smith? Mets just got Matt Adams for the bench so he is superfluous. 

Is it opening day yet?

P – in (11):

deGrom, Syndergaard, Porcello, Stroman, Matz, Wacha, Diaz, Lugo, Betances, Familia, Wilson

P - ? (12): Brach, Sewald, Gsellman, Bashlor, Zamora, Rumbelew, Gonsalves, Lockett, Y.Ramirez, E.Ramirez, Oswalt, Wahlen (forget anyone?)

Only two of the above group so I say Gsellman and Brach. Syracuse is going to have a pretty good AAA staff

Batters – in (10)

Ramos, Alonso, Cano, Rosario, Davis, NcNeil, Conforto, Nimmo, Cespedes, Marisnick,

Batters - ? (8)

Rivera, Nido, Smith, Adams, Lowrie, Nunez, Guillorme, Cordell (missing anyone?)

So only three spots …

1 of Smith or Adams (Adams out if they can’t trade Dom)

1 of Nido or Rivera (Nido for D?)

1 of Nunez, Guillorme or Lowrie (I like Nunez of that group, they should just take Lowrie out behind the barn and put him out of his misery)

Looking at this, I think that this could be a good year

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Lowrie??? LOL Take his name off your list. He's walking around with a huge brace on his leg.  This guy is going to miss two seasons with an injury that's never been diagnosed. Can't make it up...

Imagine if by some miracle he was able to play? Where the heck would they put him? 

BTW: Getting psyched here. LGM !

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Dom, Brach and Gsellman are the top 3 in that list (not necessarily that order among the relievers.  That’s aways year-to-year)

3 open spots for the pen and 3 for the bench right? (26 man roster this year?)

I would like to see Dom stay for a number of reasons, attitude, clubhouse, PH, depth in case of injury, etc.

May be worth getting a partial plan this year to insure some post season tix

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company