32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

Great post @joenamathwouldn'tcry. I'll be living in this thread in two weeks, LOL.

I agree with almost everything you said, just a few different views on certain players, nothing major.

Love the kids. Conforto, he's going to have big year. don't forget he was coming off a bad injury last year, but finished really strong. Nimmo and McNeil, just want them to build on last year. Love them both. Rosario, I hope I'm wrong about, I just never liked him I'm willing to admit its me though, because a lot of people I respect love his game.

You're spot on about Frazier, Lowrie should be a steady veteran influence.

I need to see Cano produce. I'm just leery of any "veteran bat" this team picks up. The last one I remember who worked out was Piazza. We have to get McNeil into the lineup every day, and unfortunately I think 2nd is where he'll end up quite a bit, with Robbie having a lot of "day to day tweaks" The 2 1st baseman are a great problem to have, huh? Alonso will be down in AAA the first few weeks so the Mets get that extra year with him. That will give Dom a chance to prove himself. If Alonso tears it up though down there, maybe Smith gets moved. BTW Davis has looked great also.

As always though, its going to be about our pitching. I love the bullpen. Our 8 and 9 inning combo could be the best in baseball. The starters have to stay healthy though. We're thin there believe it or not. I'd love to see them sign a Gio Gonzalez type as insurance.

Lagares has outlived his usefulness, and his trade value too I'm afraid. Same with D'Arnaud, even though I would've loved his bat in the lineup, at this point he seems like an AL type player. I'm not crazy about our Catching, but again, since Piazza when have we had any?

Oh well, long story short? Harper and the Phillies don't scare me as much as the Nats do. They did a great job once they decided to move on from Bryce. The Braves are tough young and will be a force in this division also.

Predicting this seasons finish is really tough. Any one of these teams could win 90+, but I think it will be a mad race between the 4 to 90, and whoever gets there wins it.

• Upvote 1

Good posting, @joenamathwouldn'tcry and thanks for starting this thread @32EBoozer

Timing can be a bitch sometimes. If D. Smith had hit the way he is now late last season, he could've been a nice piece in a Realmuto trade, but we just never were able to find a way to get it done with him or Jonathan LeCroix the past few years.

I agree Ramos is a really good pickup, for all the reasons you mentioned, but he's not a Realmuto.

Hopefully the hot bats stay hot into April, and the arms stay sound. With our pitching, we'll always have a puncher's chance. We just need to put a few runs up on the board.

Who knows, with the David Wright albatross contract finally off the payroll, we might even have the ability to make a nice pickup before the trade deadline. (BTW is it just me? I can't remember any NY athlete getting the pass Wright did the last few years in the press.) 

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Funny thing, I know it's blasphemy, but I was against extending him when they did.  Already had shown signs of breaking down, and they did it anyway.  The trials and tribulations of this icon derailed, and to an extent, destroyed more than a few promising seasons.  Starting to feel the same way about Cespedes.  He'll get healthy just in time to leave. 

Was also against the Jose Reyes extension.  The way this team does business, that contract would have handicapped the rest of the roster for it's entire duration.  That's what makes the Bryce Harper contract so delicious for us.  They will long live to regret that one.  He's a douche, and over rated.  Won't take long for the relationship and contract  to fester, certainly not 13 long years, with no outs.  Beautiful.

I know all about the stenosis, but Wright was never the same after getting beaned. That and the move to Citi Field (which took away the natural "LF gap power" he had at Shea, combined to basically end a really promising career.

Enough with talking about the Reyes/Wright era. No Mets "era" bothered me more. We were Jimmy Rollins' bitch. Choking 7 game leads away to the Phillies seemingly every year, then reading about the Mets listening to them sing the "Jose Jose Jose" thing through the clubhouse wall. Yuck.

• Upvote 1

This is a big year for Noah. If we are going to contend he has to step up to the level we hope he can be, which is the deGrom level. If not, he could be trade bait. Matz? I’m like most Mets fans. The bloom is off the rose with him, it’s time to be more then a prospect. I’m not asking him to be an ace, but take the step forward that Wheeler did last year.

As for Cano, I’m hoping he doesn’t turn into our latest George Foster. It’s become a Mets tradition to acquire other teams stars when they’re ready to no longer be stars. I realize his contract was the price we had to pay to get Diaz, and would gladly take one, maybe two solid years from Cano and say it was worth it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He's no George Foster or Mo Vaughn.  Plenty left in the tank.  Will hit for at least three more years.  Count on it.

I hope you’re right about him, but remember this is 2019. He’s coming off a PED suspension and will be tested thoroughly. The era of looking the other way at steroid use is over. It’s not going to be like a few years ago when players “got better” in their mid to late 30’s. Cano is a pure hitter though, and hopefully we can squeeze a few good years out of him. It would be great to have that type of bat in our lineup.

As for your post about the salaries? Couldn’t agree more. 

You wonder where the money is coming from though? Look at the tv deals and the ticket prices. Even if you don’t go to a game and spend the $100+ per person that entails, you’re paying for the cable rights, and the $35 hats, $40 tee shirts, $80 sweatshirts or $150 jerseys.

These teams are printing money, the salaries are what? Maybe 50% of their incoming revenue? As long as fans keep supporting them at the prices they’re charging, there’s no end in sight.

• Upvote 1

Just for fun, how about we try to predict Cano's 2019 season? I'll lead it off here.

480 ABs

.290 avg

21 HRs 

85 RBIs

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

That's pretty good @14 in Green kinda feel like the douchebags on the price is right who cheat off your numbers and embellish just a bit to edge you out , but you asked for it, so here goes:

540 at bats

25  Home Runs

.303 Batting average

91 Runs Batted in

35  Doubles

80  Strikeouts

Seems like we’re on the same page, I’ve just got him sitting out a few more games then you. After I posted this, I thought Conforto might be more interesting to do this with then Cano. Robbie is more of a known quantity by this point, so health is the major variable with him I think.

Let’s see if this Cano thing has legs, if it does we can try it with some others. Beats the hell out of talking about 32 yo backup OL coming in for interviews...

• Upvote 1

The Price Is Right remark was funny.

When I think about that show, I think about watching it with my grandparents. They loved it. I loved the girls...

• Haha 1

How about some Over/Unders? For example:

deGrom 16 win's

Thor 15

Wheeler 13

Conforto 32 HRs

Rosario .255 avg

The possibilities are endless... LOL

BTW in order listed, I go Over, Under, Over, Over, Under

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

At least since Gato got banned.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn't know he got the axe..... although I'm sure he's back under another moniker. That's what I did! :comb:

I think Max knew, but he let me slide.

Doesn't Gato still play Mafia though?

EDIT oops  I was thinking of Gata.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

1] deGrom  Over 16 wins

2]  Syndergaard  Over 15 wins  [barely]

3]  Wheeler   Over 13 wins  [easily]

4]  Conforto     32 Home runs  [right on]  for the purposes of the over under I'll say 31 homers

5]   Rosario  .255 average   Over, by about .015  at least.  He'll be at least a .270 hitter.  My gut tells me more.

*  I noticed nothing about Steven Matz.  What's the matter, no guts, no glory?

You and I are on opposite ends of a spectrum I've noticed with Rosario I've noticed.

Syndegaaard is a guy I'm starting to get annoyed with, to be honest. When I read that his first couple of throws this spring were 97+ doesn't impress me, quite the opposite. He's got to show me he will become a pitcher not a "morning glory" which is a horse racing term for a horse that puts up great numbers in morning workouts, but not in a race. I want to see him get through lineups a third time. He has the arm, needs the head.

Agree with Wheeler if he stays healthy, of course. He really impressed me last year. With all he's been through, the man showed he has guts to spare.

Conforto is big if we're going to do anything this year. He's 27 now, and the injury is a year behind him. This is the beginning of his prime, and I think he's poised to go on a great 3-5 year run offensively. I'm talking 30 and 100 minimum every year. Hope I'm right about him and you are about Rosario.

As for Matz? That's the fun of this, you can do him and choose a few others yourself in another post. I don't want you to be that douchebag from The Price Is Right all the time, LOL.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2019 at 11:11 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It has become apparent to me that when the Wilpon's  hired Brodie Van Wagenen, they made a deal with him to allow him to run the ballclub his way.

This brings us to Pete Alonso.  This is a kid who was perturbed last season when he wasn't brought up to the majors, although he felt he deserved at least a September call up.  He was right.  When Van Wagenen was hired, he took this young man out to dinner and assured him, he'd have a chance to make the team out of Spring Training.  This would have never happened under the previous regime. Alonso proceeded to do everything in his power to improve, and tore in up in Florida.  He worked hard on improving his defense too.

Still, there was a concern that he would be left behind when the Mets took the team up north, because of the "years of service" clause in major league baseball.  Despite the fact that the Wilpons have a well earned reputation for being "careful" with money, he deservedly made the opening day roster. Again, this would never have happened, under the stewardship of Sandy Alderson.

Alonso had the reputation of being a poor fielder and there was talk that he was better suited to be a DH in the American League. I feared he was going to be traded.  Those fears were unfounded.  Brodie Van Wagenen had confidence in this kid, obviously. In the past he may have been traded.  Not any more.   Now he is here, and we are lucky. Looks like he will be our first baseman for a long time.

Jeff McNeil, another case in point.  Despite hitting .342 in the minors last year, including .368 in Las Vegas, the Mets with their notoriously weak major league lineup, reluctantly brought him up at midseason.  The reason for their reluctance to promote him?  His fielding wasn't Major League caliber.  Are you ******* kidding me?  Over the second half of the season he played a more than respectable second, and third base, and was their best hitter.  His future was less than secure in the offseason.  His name was brought up in a few trade scenarios.  Fortunately the Mets were smart enough to hole on to him, and this "non fielding" secondary prospect is the most versatile player on the roster and showing himself to be a spark plug and  one hell of a hitter.

Things seem to be different around the Mets since Brodie Van Wagenen came to town.   Even the Jacob deGrom negotiation was pretty painless. If the Wilpons can learn, and the Johnsons can learn, maybe all is not lost, after all??? 

One last thing.  Noah Syndergaard is a very talented pitcher.  He has the nastiest slider in baseball. And a plus, plus fastball.  He may very well turn out to be elite.  He is also not Jacob deGrom.  A very different heart beats in deGrom's chest.  We should all enjoy this talent for as long as we can.  It may be a while before we see another one like him.

Great post buddy!

I agree with everything you said here. I think McNeil is another Daniel Murphy, just a really professional hitter. That 2 iron Alonso hit off the wall on Saturday... Wow! Watch out for Conforto this year. I told you last week I think he's really going to become a legit star this year. I'm thinking he going to explode and go on a 4-5 year run of putting up MVP type numbers offensively..

Couple of notes from the Washington series. Familia is not for the faint of heart. I have a feeling the 8th inning could become Lugo's spot eventually. I'm loving our lineup, and Davis and Smith are very nice additions. The offense was really good. I read a story about how Chili Davis has been a huge influence on the approach our hitters are now taking with their AB's. It seems like they're really looking to attack the pitcher now, rather then that circa mid 2000's Red Sox method of taking so many pitches. Nice to see.

As far as the Nats, they looked pretty good, but their bullpen is shaky until they get to the 9th. Trea Turner is a phenomenal ballplayer. What a talent he is.

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/8/2019 at 8:13 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I like Keuchel but not at the 18 million price tag that he had before the season.  I don't see him moving that far off that number, which makes him a bad fit for the Mets.  I would like the Mets to move Lugo back to the #5 starting role, and put Vargas in the bullpen.  I'd love to dump him personally, he's a really bad contract, but that's never going to happen.  Another gift from Sandy.  Thanks a lot.

Kimbrel is another bad fit for the Mets.  We have a closer, his preference, and I'm comfortable with Familia in the set-up role, despite his inconsistencies.  Kimbrel was really bad in the World Series, shockingly so, don't know if it was a blip on the radar, or  a sign of things to come.  We've got a couple of hard throwing "prospects" in AAA who may develop over the course of the season, and be valuable additions later in the season.  Kimbrel also wants a fortune, a reason why he's still out there. If he signs a short term deal with any team, he will demand to be a closer.

Also, Keuchel  would cost us a draft pick. Not a great idea.  Wheeler will be fine. Soon.  Guaranteed.

Offensively it a refreshing change, eight years in the making, and at the cost of at least one World Series Championship, in my opinion.  Water under the bridge.

I’m just gonna add my two cents here buddy.

We aren’t in bad shape right now record wise, considering we haven’t had the easiest of schedules to start the season.

Starters have certainly not over performing. As long as he isn’t seriously hurt, deGrom is a given. Is Thor always going to annoy me? He has all the talent in the world, why can’t he put it together? Wheeler - I like this guy. Has some grit to him, and is a very, very important piece if we’re going to make noise this year. Matz - I’m at the end of my rope with him.

Vargas has been our favorite whipping boy this year, but last nights game was big, given what we were sending out there today. He wasn’t great, but he kept us in a game I think we needed. Have to find someone to replace him though. Soon.

If this deGrom situation shows us anything, it’s that we have to rethink what you said about Keichel. Sure he’ll be expensive (I could care less about the draft pick), but we need someone, and not just another arm, someone proven. If it isn’t Keichel, Brody has to earn his stripes and find someone.

The bullpen, aside from Diaz(what a pick up!) is spotty, especially with Familia being exactly what I thought he’d be. The CS is going to be working hard all year to mix and match with this group. Meh.

The lineup? How can we not be happy?

Nimmo and Canó are are both starting to hit. I told you Conforto was about to start a 4-5 year mvp type run, I’m liking that call, lol. Alonso, McNeil, and Davis have been great, even Lagares has done well, much to my surprise. It seems YOU were on the money with the faith you had in Rosario- good call!

I think we can be a very good ball club this year. As good as anyone if, and this is always the question with the Mets, the FO is aggressive. See the problems, and take action to fix them...

I love this team, so I’m going with this is a new era of Mets baseball. We really are going for it, and we will make whatever move needs to be made to win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Knew it would.  Due diligence.  When I heard that he threw afterward and felt better, I wasn't alarmed.  That plus the fact that it was done at the time of the extension, and my "lying eyes".  Good news though.  Now they should MRI Syndergaard's head and see if he has any problem with his "nerve".... Or Moxie.

Amen to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Aren't you that new poster that has more positive reps in your brief time here than that Azzwipe from Michigan has in eight plus years?  Please don't give me any advice or call me a bitch, or I'll have to get tough with you, OK, newbie?

Lol. He’s still sore from the argument him and I had 3 weeks ago I think.

He couldn’t wait to butt into the thing I had going with your old pal, the wonderboy.

Ah well, in a way this place can mirror the real world. I’m happy with my choice of friends AND foes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

They have to consider it. Familia still scares the crap out of me, hasn't been the same since Alex Gordon in gm#1 of the series. One other thing...the pitchers better start protecting our hitters. Guys get hit every damn game.

I’ve been saying this from the offseason.... If Gio can pitch FOR us like he did AGAINST us, it would be a great signing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  1 great season out of 7. 

He's only 26 and there's time for him to build a strong career.  In fact, through his Age 25 season his similarity scores have him in the same company as Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.  But the phenom the game was promised, he is not.  Mike Trout has lapped him and its not even close.  Trout will go down as Mickey Mantle at the rate he's going.  Harper looks more like he will end up Justin Upton.  Both # 1 overall picks with very high ceilings who have good but not particularly memorable careers.

I saw a headline that said Ariel’s called him out last night in the clubhouse. Haven’t listened to the clip on the ESPN app yet. Was it anything?

EDIT I just saw you addressed it already. Sorry.

(good job by you tho...) 👏🏻

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think the worst problem is that he has no movement on his fastball. Flat straight … Somebody needs to teach him another pitch or a different grip to get some movement on that fastball. Familiars ball moves so much we can’t even control it! Thor needs some movement on what is normally a 98 mph Heater.

Whatever it is, it’s getting to the point where he either fixes it, or the time to cut bait will be coming soon. I’ve wondered lately what he would bring back in a trade, but the problem(and it’s a new one)is we need arms, not bats.

BTW I have to be fair and compliment Matz on a really nice effort last night under conditions which weren’t the best. Good job by him stepping up and snapping us out of that 2-6 skid.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I was just about to post about him when I saw the Yanks let him go.  He was a Mets killer.  Loves Citi.  

Not sure I prefer him to Keuchel but you would think he's much cheaper and much more a Mets type signing. 

The difference between him and Keichel is huge. One is high end, the other is a #4 or 5 starter at this point. Tells you how bad Vargas is though, when we’re all hoping for Gio. LOL

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Might be premature to be saying that.  Especially when you consider the following:

• Cano is 36.  Hopefully McNeil is ready to be "the guy" at 2B, but its too early to say there.
  • 3B may still be a gaping hole moving forward, despite Davis' early success. 
  • Pete Alonso is looking awesome, but let's re-visit in a few months.
  • Lagares hits Free Agency this offseason and Keon Broxton is a JAG. 

No argument, except I have faith in the Alonso, Davis, McNeil, Conforto group being a solid core for years to come.

Lagares is an injury waiting to happen. CF might become an issue soon...

I agree about Cano. In the post ped era, 38 is pushing it.

• Like 1

I was more or less just pointing out that, no matter what, we're going to need to add another OF into the mix eventually.  Nimmo, Conforto, ???

Unfortunately, there's no intriguing names on the UFA market in 2020.  32-year old Leonys Martin is probably the best option. 

Starling Marte (31) and Billy Hamilton (29) have club options of $11.5M and $7.5M, respectively.  Marte would be too rich for our blood.  Maybe Billy Hamilton, if the Royals let him walk?

I’m happy with  Nimmo and Conforto out there, the announcers were saying last night that Davis was going to start taking fly balls in an effort to get some ab’s as an outfielder, just like McNeil did in the spring along with D. Smith.

But we’re going to need a true CF, and after you just listed our options for next year, Lagares isn’t sounding like the worst option after all. Has to prove he can stay healthy though...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward.  Not signing him to an extension would be a mistake, and if they lose him to free agency after the year, they will long regret it. 

Todd Frazier just hit a grand slam.  Life is good.  Michael Conforto has officially made the transition.  He is now a Bona Fide Star in this league going forward.  Strikeouts down, going the other way,  "sitting on his pitch",  All good stuff.  Also, to any of us who have any remaining doubts about McNeil, forget about them.  He is the real deal.

What a gem that was Wheeler threw last night, huh?

Wasn't too shabby with the bat either....

• Upvote 2

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward.  Not signing him to an extension would be a mistake, and if they lose him to free agency after the year, they will long regret it. 

Todd Frazier just hit a grand slam.  Life is good.  Michael Conforto has officially made the transition.  He is now a Bona Fide Star in this league going forward.  Strikeouts down, going the other way,  "sitting on his pitch",  All good stuff.  Also, to any of us who have any remaining doubts about McNeil, forget about them.  He is the real deal.

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

EDIT

I always wondered how people double post... now I have to figure out how I triple post. :dohslap:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And Gonzalez goes to the Brewers. And we get Vargas tonight.

Just saw that.

Why don't our GMs listen to us and sign who we want? When we want.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just a short post to follow Mr. Sunshine, LOL.

It's a long season. The schedule has been a bitch, except for 3 games against Miami. We're going through a rough patch, but we'll be ok. Defense was never going to be a strong suit with this team, we're going to have to live with that.

If the starters, Matz and Syndegaard, I'm looking at you, don't lead this team we're screwed. These guys aren't young pups anymore, I wouldn't blame the pitching coach, Joe. Familia is a bum, no surprise, and he kills us in the 8th.

Rosario, I've never been a fan of, but you like him. Don't get down on him this soon. I think he's pressing, he'll settle down, at least with the glove. 

• Haha 1

Ok so a nice win. We avoid getting swept, and Matz throws another nice game. This guy is starting to make a believer out of me. Finally.

I love that Davis got the big pinch hit. I’d like to see him back at 3rd every day instead of Frazier. I think we have it backwards with the older vet playing and the kid on the bench.

The team is in a good place, especially considering what we’ve gotten from deGrom and Goldilocks. I’m not worried about Jake, but like it or not we’ll need both of them if we’re going to go anywhere.

• Like 1

UGH. That's all I got... just UGH.

Oh yeah, except for one thing. F**k Todd Frazier. Can we get him the hell out of here now? How is he any different then d'Arnaud? Can someone please explain how keeping him around makes this a better team going forward?

• Upvote 2

Wow. A sign of life in this thread!!! :dohslap:

We just saw a very good performance by the entire starting rotation. All 5 pitched very well this week. The bats are cooling off a bit, but that was to be expected. 

Diaz gave up 2 homers (wtf?) but he's a ride or die this season, I don't think we have to worry about him. Familia on the other hand has one foot out the door, hopefully the other follows quickly.

Keep the kids in the lineup. I want to see more of Davis and D. Smith. Frazier and "the ghost of Lowrie" should both be on the block for bullpen arms. Or anything young and of value...

This would be a nice time to go on a sporty little 9 of 12 run to announce this teams intentions toward the NL East this season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wish there was someway to get D Smith and Alonso on the field at the same time.  

You're right, its not the best thing to have him sitting on the bench. It doesn't help him, and one of our most valuable young assets is gathering dust. They had him taking fly balls in the OF this spring, guess it didn't work out. I'd be willing to give it another shot though. This team is never going to be good defensively anyway.

I know its only May 3, but this rosters picture has come into focus very quickly. Its clear where help is needed. a bullpen arm or two, catcher and another decent defensive minded OF wouldn't hurt either. 

The Mets are really not far from being a solid ball club, just a few tweaks here or there. Smith, Frazier and Familia should be pieces we look to use to get us some help.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company