32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

I have Conforto, Rosario, and Matz on my fantasy team (12 teams, H2H Categories).  So definitely taking the over on all three of those.  :)

(Until I get frustrated by mid-May and cut Matz and possibly Rosario, of course).

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

So, is it safe to sa Trae Turner is the new Mets killer on the Nats? 

Sure, but he kills everyone.  It's not like friggin Pat Burrell, who mostly sucked until it came time to face the Mets.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cant stand the dbag.  And why in that situation?  Just shut up.  He was calling it high all game long.

Because he's an entitled prick who thinks he's a god and how dare any umpire call a strike when he thinks its a ball. 

That's what happens when you're worshiped and called a phenom from a very young age, get Scott Boras as your agent while you're 15 years old, then play a year of JUCO ball when you're 16 so you can "graduate" high school early and focus on baseball and enter the draft.  You derive your entire self-worth on your ability to play baseball, without ever having to develop anything close to a likable personality. 

It's partly why you need a lot of guys on your roster who played college ball for 3 years and learned at one time or another that the world doesn't revolve around you, to offset a lot of these prep stars who only know about 2 things:  1) Baseball, and 2) I'm good at it.  Otherwise a guy like Harper can destroy a locker room on his own.

Even Arrieta called him out.  Said after the game “We need him in rightfield.  I don’t care how bad the umpire is. We need him in rightfield and he wasn’t there. That hurts.”

It's only April of the first year of his mega-deal, folks.  The Harper show has only just begun. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

He always starts hot, so for sh*ts and giggles I was looking at his stats the other day.  Did you know, he's only hit 100 RBI's once so far in his career?  Never new that.   

Yep.  1 great season out of 7. 

He's only 26 and there's time for him to build a strong career.  In fact, through his Age 25 season his similarity scores have him in the same company as Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.  But the phenom the game was promised, he is not.  Mike Trout has lapped him and its not even close.  Trout will go down as Mickey Mantle at the rate he's going.  Harper looks more like he will end up Justin Upton.  Both # 1 overall picks with very high ceilings who have good but not particularly memorable careers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Whatever it is, it’s getting to the point where he either fixes it, or the time to cut bait will be coming soon. I’ve wondered lately what he would bring back in a trade, but the problem(and it’s a new one)is we need arms, not bats.

Might be premature to be saying that.  Especially when you consider the following:

• Cano is 36.  Hopefully McNeil is ready to be "the guy" at 2B, but its too early to say there.
  • 3B may still be a gaping hole moving forward, despite Davis' early success. 
  • Pete Alonso is looking awesome, but let's re-visit in a few months.
  • Lagares hits Free Agency this offseason and Keon Broxton is a JAG. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

No argument, except I have faith in the Alonso, Davis, McNeil, Conforto group being a solid core for years to come.

Lagares is an injury waiting to happen. CF might become an issue soon...

I agree about Cano. In the post ped era, 38 is pushing it. 

I was more or less just pointing out that, no matter what, we're going to need to add another OF into the mix eventually.  Nimmo, Conforto, ???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They will need to sign a CF, after Lagares' contract is done after this year ($9m)

Unfortunately, there's no intriguing names on the UFA market in 2020.  32-year old Leonys Martin is probably the best option. 

Starling Marte (31) and Billy Hamilton (29) have club options of $11.5M and $7.5M, respectively.  Marte would be too rich for our blood.  Maybe Billy Hamilton, if the Royals let him walk?

15 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward. 

I traded for Wheeler in fantasy back on April 3rd.  Only had to give up Stephen Piscotty and Archie Bradley to get him.  :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Well at least there's a good hockey game on now... OT in game 7 Caps-Canes. :rolleyes:

As a NC resident with lots of family and friends in Raleigh, I'm very happy to see the Canes move on. 

I didn't even know they made the playoffs as recently as 11 days ago, and now they're in the 2nd round.  Very nice to see for a franchise that has stumbled along for the last 13 years.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Well, at the last the nose dive started early this season but on a positive note....they have a very favorable schedule to make up some ground before a brutal west coast trip to LA and Arizona at the end of the month/early June.

If they could beat up on the badies over the next month, they might be able to recover.  I'm not holding my breath though.  I had this team anywhere between 60 wins and 90, that's how "who knows" this roster is but 60 seems about right now.

Good thing we went "all in" by acquiring Diaz and Cano, giving up a pair of solid prospects in the process. 

• Haha 1

Where did Pete Alonso go to school again?  Can't remember.  FSU, right?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Interleague play blows chunks . It has ruined the regular season and the World Series . Just , another money grab by MLB .

It was definitely a money grab when it first started.  Now its simply a necessity because there is an odd number of teams in each league. 

So the Mets trade for a ground ball pitcher who they can only control for 1.5 years to pair with our below average infield defense.

Wtf is happening.

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Doesn’t appear we gave up a lot. If Stroehman pitches we’ll we will get good value back in off season or next year trade deadline 

Traded away our 2016 first round pick (# 4 prospect) as well as the # 6 prospect in the system.  Doubt either were going to end up much of anything, but then again Kay had TJ surgery so his development was delayed. 

33 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Is anyone really scared by the Phillies, now? Their pitching staff is Nola, and the number 2 is some guy named Vargas.

If the Mets can't win against the Phillies, they deserve a WC spot.

Vince Velasquez tho!  lol.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I know our old friend Gato would try to spin it differently, but is is just not so.

Be careful.  I hear tell if you say his name thrice he gets unbanned. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Stroman needs to keep the ball down and bring the velocity up.

Is Stroman capable of bringing the velocity up?

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The more important question is what can Wacha and Matz bring?

At bare minimum, Wacha brings memes the to table.  

Wacha_drw708ep_epm2dhrl.jpg

• Haha 2

High School players tend to cost more than college players, no?  I don't think money had anything to do with the pick last night.  

4 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

As Mets fans, we are the superior species.

Yankee fans are front running star f**kers.

I used to love challenging guys who wore Yankee hats to name their starting lineup back in the “core 4 era”. Forget the fact that most couldn’t name anyone besides Jeter, none of them could name their so called core 4.

Woah.  That's a lot of ripping on another fanbase you're doing right now, and I'm not comfortable with that.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm guessing that teams like the more "star crossed" franchises like the Mets (and Jets) make the fans more hungry to win and thus we talk about it more.  Yankee fans probably have an expectation of winning it all this year and so they might not care to talk as much about pre-season concerns.

The rare times when the Jets and Mets are successful, it's huge news and the city is taken over by green or blue.  

With the Yankees it's simply the expectation.  

So yeah, I'd say being "hungrier for a winner" is part of the deal for Jets and Mets fans, whose teams haven't won in a long time.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Right now, it doesn't look good. But to be fair, I think every GM in MLB would would have made that trade. Maybe Kelenic will be the real deal, but he could easily turn out to be Alex Ochoa.

EVERY GM?  I'm not sure about that.  Only contenders tend to trade for closers, and no one who heavily invests in analytics would want to trade for a 35-year old like Cano when most players "hit a wall" at around 32 years old.

As I said at the time of the deal, the majority of the possible outcomes of that deal were negative.  A lot would have had to go right for it to make sense.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

Bats were pretty quiet most of the night.  Alonzo had two hits, drove in a run, but neither ball was hit hard.  Conforto and Davis probably had the hardest hit balls of the night.  Both went for doubles.  Rosario hit an nice oppostie field triple in the 9th.  Scored on a base hit by Nunez.

Other than that, pretty quiet night for the offense.  Aside from the offense, defense and pitching it was a good night.  At least it didn't count.

"Other than all THAT, Mrs. Lincoln....how was the play?"

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That F'ing Cano trade F'd us so badly.  In addition to Kelenic being a possible young, cheap, potential star, while Diaz has gone straight into the crapper, we also are spending money on Cano that could've been used to keep Wheeler.  Even though I love what Brodie has done in his 2 drafts here, I don't know if I'm going to ever be able to get over that trade.   

Shades of Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.

No, Kazmir didn't end up much more than a decent # 3/4 starter.  And Kelenic may similarly not work out in the bigs.  But it's a symptom of poor resource allocation.  We should have gotten a lot more out of Kazmir and a lot more out of Kelenic. 

The Mets already get strapped with limited resources thanks to ownership.  Our GM can't make it worse by being reckless like that in making trades.  

Hopefully its a lesson learned and ends up merely a blip in an otherwise successful regime.

Don't worry guys.  I see no way this season finishes.  So....good news right?

1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Not if you're a Yankees fan.

Like I said, great news.  :)

• Upvote 1

Billy Hamilton.  Another Metsy/Brodie acquisition if I ever saw one. 

Is that prospect we gave up any good?  Doesn't matter.  He'll go on to win a Cy Young just because. 

• Haha 2

Just now, section314 said:

What is the next step after throwing sh*t against the wall and hoping it sticks? Because Brodie is well into it.😩

Fire him and hire someone who has actually played a role in running a baseball team before.  Just a thought.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I honestly feel that Brodie will be the first person out the door when the new ownership takes over. If Cohen wins out, don't be surprised if we get the return of Omar. Supposedly a big fan.

If we get Cohen as owner he can hire Mike Maccagnan as GM for all I care.  Just get the Wilpons out, please.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The oddities of modern era Baseball....

The four backup LF's to Juan Soto so far this year (Stevenson, Taylor, Harrison & Bonafacio) are a combined 3 for 29 (.103 batting average).

All three of their hits......Home Runs.

/smh

All of them are fast guys, the kind of guys who should be legging out infield hits and slap hitting for singles then stealing bases, advancing, etc.

Nope, all of them swing for the fences with every at-bat.

There are days where I truly think modern baseball is just rediculous, where even 5'4" infielders think they're supposed to be Babe Ruth, and somehow the metrics justify that instead of old school small ball hit-for-average-get-on-base baseball.

/endoldmanrant

Good luck tonight, hoping Scherzer can hold yall down and get us into the winning season record side of the ledger finally.

Well that's the beauty of the game:  It is always adapting.  

Pitchers are already starting to get smarter about how they handle the new launch angles that hitters are using.  Throw pitches up in the zone (or higher, out of the zone) more consistently.  Throw more breaking balls and less sinkers.  Keep the ball in the park and force more pop-ups. 

Eventually things will shift back toward a more palatable form of baseball.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company