32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

The deGrom news seems to be a good fit for both the player and the club. Hopefully it sends a message and is a harbinger of future deals and spending patterns.

What may be sobering news this week is that the Wilpon family have exercised a right to purchase back a 12% share of ownership stock from a couple of media companies (if you recall, they had to sell a piece of the ownership stake immediately after the Madoff fiasco, to remain solvent).

The valuation, and this was based on presumably an open market bid, valued the total value of the club at $1.5B. This had to be a disappointing valuation, as Forbes estimated it least year to be $2.1B. 

So, the Wilpons seemingly got "value" in a buy back, but, the overall valuation may have been a surprise to them. 

Does this make them a little less "liquid" in terms of ability to shell out big contracts???? Do they continue a conservative approach???? History does not treat these questions well.

And we can only assume dorky and meddlesome Jeff will only continue to be involved more and more.

All of that said, and it is of course no control we as fans have, BVW has appeared to be a breath of fresh air in an organization that was stale and  outdaetd in team-building approach.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It has become apparent to me that when the Wilpon's  hired Brodie Van Wagenen, they made a deal with him to allow him to run the ballclub his way.

This brings us to Pete Alonso.  This is a kid who was perturbed last season when he wasn't brought up to the majors, although he felt he deserved at least a September call up.  He was right.  When Van Wagenen was hired, he took this young man out to dinner and assured him, he'd have a chance to make the team out of Spring Training.  This would have never happened under the previous regime. Alonso proceeded to do everything in his power to improve, and tore in up in Florida.  He worked hard on improving his defense too.

Still, there was a concern that he would be left behind when the Mets took the team up north, because of the "years of service" clause in major league baseball.  Despite the fact that the Wilpons have a well earned reputation for being "careful" with money, he deservedly made the opening day roster. Again, this would never have happened, under the stewardship of Sandy Alderson.

Alonso had the reputation of being a poor fielder and there was talk that he was better suited to be a DH in the American League. I feared he was going to be traded.  Those fears were unfounded.  Brodie Van Wagenen had confidence in this kid, obviously. In the past he may have been traded.  Not any more.   Now he is here, and we are lucky. Looks like he will be our first baseman for a long time.

Jeff McNeil, another case in point.  Despite hitting .342 in the minors last year, including .368 in Las Vegas, the Mets with their notoriously weak major league lineup, reluctantly brought him up at midseason.  The reason for their reluctance to promote him?  His fielding wasn't Major League caliber.  Are you ******* kidding me?  Over the second half of the season he played a more than respectable second, and third base, and was their best hitter.  His future was less than secure in the offseason.  His name was brought up in a few trade scenarios.  Fortunately the Mets were smart enough to hole on to him, and this "non fielding" secondary prospect is the most versatile player on the roster and showing himself to be a spark plug and  one hell of a hitter.

Things seem to be different around the Mets since Brodie Van Wagenen came to town.   Even the Jacob deGrom negotiation was pretty painless. If the Wilpons can learn, and the Johnsons can learn, maybe all is not lost, after all??? 

One last thing.  Noah Syndergaard is a very talented pitcher.  He has the nastiest slider in baseball. And a plus, plus fastball.  He may very well turn out to be elite.  He is also not Jacob deGrom.  A very different heart beats in deGrom's chest.  We should all enjoy this talent for as long as we can.  It may be a while before we see another one like him.

Agree on BVW. Hopefully this will continue.

One thought on Alonso, we have to hope that there is not some movement to send him to AAA, when Frazier comes off the IL. That would still allow them to get credit on his time served designation. Of course, if he keeps hitting, it will be hard to do.

On Syndergaard, his stuff is filthy, but he still has to learn how to pitch. deGrom learned last year, with the whole launch angle BS, to pitch up in the zone with the fastball at select times. Syndergaard has been stubborn to adjust. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, faba said:

Alonso and McNeil play those guys every day. Look to trade Frazier

Yankees may well be looking for a 3rd baseman soon, and there is familiarity there. Then put Lowery there, as I just don't trust Davis' defense at this time.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Interesting exchange last night in the 8th inning  between Gary and Keith. Gary bought up idea of Kimbrell.  Keith followed up with Kuechel. I would love Kimbrell if he would agree to be 8th inning guy, want no part of Kuechel. That said, they need to hit the ejector button on Vargas ASAP. You can't give up a game every 5 days.

The problem is going to be starting piyching. Vargas is a black hole that will burn a bullpen, and an inevitable injury among the core 4 will expose a lack of depth of young talent at the position.

Maybe Dom Smith needs to be showcased for a possible trade.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is it me, or does Micky seem to stick with Pitchers a little too long?  And then he makes some head scratching decisions too.  Why not bring in Diaz in the 8th when they needed the one out?  Why Gsellman?   And why not pull Noah when it was clear he was about to give away the lead? 

Famalia is clearly not comfortable as the set-up man.  Great in theory but he just does not look comfortable coming in during the 8th.  

The starting pitching I'm not too concerned about, I'm going to chalk it up to a rough patch of games.  Noah and Jake are hitting the velocity, so it's probably just an issue of mechanics to get the location back.  Relief pitching?  Ugh.  It's a roll of the dice right now.

Thanks god the bats are on, which is cool and totally rare to see as a Mets fan.

Familia was fine with the role after the trade to Oakland last year. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didnt follow him in Oakland to know his specific role.  Was he a set up man out there?  

He certainly doesnt look comfortable in the role right now.  He's been a disaster. 

Blake Treinen was the A's closer when Familia was dealt last year, and they used Familia to get to him. He did it with initially great results, and then fell off a bit. He finished with a 3.45 ERA for the A's. Not great, but not terrible either.

Familia was set-up for the Mets in 2014 before earning the closer gig in 2015. he was great that year.

All that said, I am not sure what this year will be for him at this point. He is just not hitting spots. That is putting it mildly.

The only silver lining in all of this is that the Braves, Phillies and Nats bullpens have all been dumpster fires too.

Really, around the league there is a lot of bad bullpenning going on.

That, and the ball is juiced again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is true.  Which makes me think to myself; how the hell are Kimbrel and Keuchel not signed?  And why not go sign them if you're the Mets? 

We all know the reasons the Mets won't-$$$$$$. Even though they are getting money back on the deGrom deal this year, the Cespedes insurance and the Wright settlement, it is difficult to tell what the true spend is. 

Keuchel is a Boras client, so that is always tough. He does not carry any leverage until there are 2 truly desperate teams bidding against each other, and have a need. He does not have that yet. Not sure i9f they are willing to do a 1 year emergency deal, which I would guess would be the only way the Mets step in.

Not sure what clubs are thinking on Kimbrel. A reunion in Atlanta would seem to make the most sense, but the Braves seem very unwilling to invest in this year, other than getting extensions done.

It is difficult to think what mlb clubs are thinking these days, as it appears that labor unrest will be a huge topic going into 2021. The fact that teams own players so long under rookie deals, and then even delay that by sending them down for a couple of weeks to get another year, is certainly unfair. And now, they don't even want to pay them when they do hit free agency.

Players are going to want to burn this system down. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Is it me, or does Micky seem to stick with Pitchers a little too long?  And then he makes some head scratching decisions too.  Why not bring in Diaz in the 8th when they needed the one out?  Why Gsellman?   And why not pull Noah when it was clear he was about to give away the lead? 

Famalia is clearly not comfortable as the set-up man.  Great in theory but he just does not look comfortable coming in during the 8th.  

The starting pitching I'm not too concerned about, I'm going to chalk it up to a rough patch of games.  Noah and Jake are hitting the velocity, so it's probably just an issue of mechanics to get the location back.  Relief pitching?  Ugh.  It's a roll of the dice right now.

Thanks god the bats are on, which is cool and totally rare to see as a Mets fan.

We got our answer "why on Gsellman in the 8th" question. Callaway said he is going to use Diaz mostly in 3 out situations. He said he may detour at times, but that is his current approach.

Maybe this is a concession to Diaz' former bone spurs in elbow.

Good job by the bullpen last night. Lugo seems to be coming around, Gsellman needs to continue off his most recent outings and maybe Familia can get started.

Never thought I would be saying this, but please sign Gio Gonzalez.

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

They have to consider it. Familia still scares the crap out of me, hasn't been the same since Alex Gordon in gm#1 of the series. One other thing...the pitchers better start protecting our hitters. Guys get hit every damn game.

I have never seen so many balls riding in on hitters hands as this season. With this damn juiced ball, pitchers are having to pitch inside.

Gio lost his best stuff a couple of years ago. But, he is that crafty lefty that seems to get guys out somehow. His career numbers are great at Citi, too. Plus, he is not Vargas. I would much rather have him than Keuchel. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I was just about to post about him when I saw the Yanks let him go.  He was a Mets killer.  Loves Citi.  

Not sure I prefer him to Keuchel but you would think he's much cheaper and much more a Mets type signing. 

Mets have been scouting him, and supposedly checked in. Best thing is, he recently dumped Boras, and went to CAA (BVW's old agency).

Gio's deal with the Yankees was not terrible- $3m + $300k bonus for every start made. Figure he makes 20 starts, that makes it a $9m deal. That is the money the Mets saves as they converted deGrom's arbitration money to his new deal.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agree on all points. Just let Gio pitch at home😎 Remeber when the Mets had Randy Jones(I think 1982) and they only let him pitch on the road?

Leave it to the Mets to sign the terrible Randy Jones. He had one heck of a season when he won the Cy in SD though.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was more or less just pointing out that, no matter what, we're going to need to add another OF into the mix eventually.  Nimmo, Conforto, ???

They will need to sign a CF, after Lagares' contract is done after this year ($9m)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Unfortunately, there's no intriguing names on the UFA market in 2020.  32-year old Leonys Martin is probably the best option. 

Starling Marte (31) and Billy Hamilton (29) have club options of $11.5M and $7.5M, respectively.  Marte would be too rich for our blood.  Maybe Billy Hamilton, if the Royals let him walk?

Really, with the young bats that the Mets are developing right now, Broxton in CF as a hold over for a year or 2  (Cespedes contract is done in 2020), works. Need a defensive CF in Citi.

10 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward.  Not signing him to an extension would be a mistake, and if they lose him to free agency after the year, they will long regret it. 

Todd Frazier just hit a grand slam.  Life is good.  Michael Conforto has officially made the transition.  He is now a Bona Fide Star in this league going forward.  Strikeouts down, going the other way,  "sitting on his pitch",  All good stuff.  Also, to any of us who have any remaining doubts about McNeil, forget about them.  He is the real deal.

LOVE Jacob Rhame. Good for you kid. Come up and not afraid to pitch inside when two of your players got plunked the night before. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Really irritated right now so I don't want to say too much, so I'll make it short.....

1]  Noah Syndergaard needs to stop being so impressed with himself, grow some balls, and grow up. Fast. His act is getting old.

2]   I had had my fill of Travis d'Arnaud.  Can't hit, can't throw, can't catch.  Get him out of here.  Bring up Nito, ready or not.                  Cut him, trade him, demote him, I don't care.

3]   Jeurys Familia too.  He looks dazed and confused.  He is a veteran pitcher.  Act like one.

4]   This pitching coach needs to start doing his job.  If he can't maybe he needs to go find another one.  The staff as a whole is             underperforming.  Starters  and bullpen.  That is too much of a coincidence.  Take hold of the situation and fix it.                         That's what you're here for.

5]   I am also sick of the casual sloppiness in the field.  The erstwhile camp counselor/manager, needs to stop being everybody's             pal and start acting like a manager.

6]   Ahmed Rosario needs to realize that the most important part of being a major league shortstop is to be a good fielder.                       Concentrate and play.

That being said, I am happy with the effort and resilience of the young positional players. Some consolation in a dark                            period.

As I have said many times here, Syndergaard is a thrower, not a pitcher. Headstrong Texas kid that throws straight and can't adjust.

d'Arnaud is just painful to watch. Glad he is gone. 

R A Dickey trade does not look so good in retrospect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, faba said:

Went to the game today Noah did it all = this is the pitcher we need to see at top of rotation

Hey, you can pitch to contact and actually make it work. Needs to be noted though, the Reds have been a dismal offensive team

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Can't make this stuff up.  Yo fractures his ankle in a fall at his ranch.

Is this for real.  Ankles.  Plural???  Or just a typo.

Really for the best at this point. collect the insurance on him, and be done with him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Crazy the contributions from players who werent on the roster opening day, already.

It was lovely seeing them get back to .500....but this road trip is brutal.  If they're somehow able to keep it around the .500 mark and get 3 wins, I'd be pretty happy with that...but I dont see a pretty outlook.  They could easily lose 4 of the next 6, if not lose the whole west coast trip. 

The pitching (starting) is not what it was ever cracked up to be.

My hope is that they deal Wheeler for one of the Padres true stud starting pitchers.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

How about that relief pitching!!!????!!!

Damn, LA is good. And damn, do the Mets look bad.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

The only 4 guys anybody would want( Jake, Conforto, Rosario and Alonzo) are the core of the future. Anybody else, however, help yourself😀

You hold onto Diaz. Prior to last night, he had a 1.64 ERA.

It came up today that the Mets feel that the Dodgers may be stealing signals. They are not the first team to bring this up (why they do it to the public, I have no idea). Dodger batters are taking healthy cuts, a lot. Up to the Mets to better disguise their signals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

He’s expendable with Alonso slamming it. Dom is strictly a 1st baseman and would be a nice chip to trade in a package. Nice to see him finally come around. Trade him by the trade deadline and get a prospect. We have so many positions, C, 3rd base, OF, pitching where we need young talent.

They have to find out what they have in JD Davis too. Kid looks intriguing

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

Should not have made deal if it include Kelenik since we were picking up the rest of Cano's horrible deal. Since Brodie got him that deal, he should have known better.

Mets did get back $20m on a $120m  deal (what is left). 

Also have to remember that the deal allowed them to dumb Swarzak and Bruce back on the Mariners.

The deal will not be terrible if the Mets spend in the future. That is a BIG if.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Bruce isn't playing bad this year I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped him for a decent prospect

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He had no fit on the Mets, that was kind of the point.

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I get that. Still the hindsight of it is that this trade is going to Look bad if kelenik looks good. It will look worse if they get a decent prospect for Bruce no one is going to Look back and say Bruce was a bad fit they will say we traded him too soon.

Bruce is NOT going to fetch a decent prospect. He is old, hitting .212 with a little bit of pop. 

I get hating on giving up Kelinic, but the Mets have made far worse trades. This was not a franchise crushing trade, if they spend $$$

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Just got a notification that the phillies are in talks with the mariners looking to trade for Bruce.

LOL. The Mariners are looking to dump a number of players.

Ask yourself this question-What player would you take off the 40 man roster on the Mets, to house jay Bruce as a bench player?

25 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I'd be very surprised if the they start selling until July, if at all.  They probably need to fall 10+ games back, and maybe fall to 4th place, before a fire sale might ensue.

Only deals I would make right now would be:

-Wheeler to Padres (Mackenzie Gore)

-or Sundergaard to Padres (Gore,  Catcher Mejia +)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Welp, hate to say I told you so but this team is just trash and managed by imbecile.

The worst part?  The Phillies have lost 5 straight and the Mets are only 4.5 games back.  Which means, you can bet your bottom dollar they're not going to sell and try their damndest to make a run, retaining all their tradable assets and keeping Mickey on board for no reason! 

Go Mets!!!

Really, who do the Mets sell on?

I would say Wheeler. Syndergaard? Maybe someone takes a flyer on Frazier. Lagares is not really valuable to anyone. 

Much of the rest of the roster is controllable by the Mets or not really a worthy piece for someone else to buy. 

On 6/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, faba said:

Where would the Mets be without Alonso and Mcneil- two guys carrying the team two bright spots

In reality, 2 players that are carrying the team right now, are 2 players that this forum wanted on a trash heap-- Vargas and Todd Frazier.

Just the way it goes sometimes. The vaunted starting staff has been a true disappointment. Yet somehow they are hanging around .500

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Had a stat last night on Sportnite SNY. Over his last 8 starts, Vargas has an era of 2.20. That's not a misprint. 

Trade candidate

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I'm not defending Calloway, b/c I do think he needs to go, but he likely just lost his cool after being grilled by the beat writers for his confusing bullpen use.  The team has already issued a public apology. If Calloway is not canned tomorrow, he'll probably personally apologize, as well.

However, what's with Vargas going all macho thug or whatever? That one may take more than an apology to make things good with the media and maybe MLB.

Actually nice to see Vargas show some heart. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Clown shoes organization.

I'm not sure why I ever even get excited about anything Mets related.  My fellow alum, Pete Alonso is amazing and instead we're talking about our skipper apologizing, again, while not even learning from the first apology he gave.

Calloway needs to be at .500 by the All Star Break (not going to happen, and then needs to be fired during the break.

This would give the Mets a leg up on interviewing during the season, before some other managers get fired. Hell, interview Girardi. I don't care at this point.

Will be inteeresting to see what the Cubs do with Maddon.

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

Something has to give.  Isnt Collins like a special advisor to the GM or something these days?  Move him down.  lol  At least you'd see some fire and fight in the team.

There is some actually decent talent on this team now. The most since the world series team. Their bench is deeper than it has ever been. Moving Rosario to CF (eventually) will not be a bad move, providing he can add adequate defense there. He is a 20/20 guy.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company