32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

I have no idea how any of this is going to go. The Mets could win 90 or they could win 60 and neither would surprise me. I'm hoping on the notion that the Mets are really, really overdue with some luck regarding health. We have to have one goddamn year where the entire team doesn't get ******* injured. On top of that it's also been a really encouraging Spring for the offense.

Zero chance DeGrom replicates last season, but if Thor and Wheeler stay healthy he doesn't need to.

After watching how the new additions and youngsters have looked in FL, it's clear that there is a lot more reason to be optimistic about things this year. Mets certainly have the roster to make a playoff run. The Mets are spending a lot of money this year but more importantly it looks like they spent it on what appears to be a complete baseball team top to bottom, with a good mix of veteran leadership and youth.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sign me up for projections! I'll put my numbers in when I get home.

Until we sign Houston or Wisniewski, people will just be going around in circle jerk arguments. At least the Mets board allows for some good conversation about our beloved Mets until the draft

At least since Gato got banned.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe they got that done. They signed the best pitcher in baseball for a great deal and they have an opt out when he may take a downturn. Unreal. I fully expect all of this to go badly but for now woo hoo!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Well for those of us that were skeptical of the Cano trade, he's hitting .500 on the season so far. Wow.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What a beautiful game.  Robinson Cano is the leader we wanted Cespedes to be.  If only he played once in a while.  McNeil makes a big play at third base.  deGrom is well, deGrom.  Started out looking for" it", and when he did find "it" game over.

Excellent defense, good moves by Mickey Callahan.  G-d bless National League Baseball.  Lugo was efficiently brilliant.  Familia was his old "tightrope" walking self, but still has great stuff.  Diaz sure throws hard.  They beat the second best pitcher in baseball, with the best pitcher in baseball.

All the "experts" are under rating this baseball team.  Maybe we make them sorry.  In any event this is going to be a fun season to watch.  Not last years Mets, that is already clear.

It was one game. Mets have been one of the strongest March/April teams in the league for the past 4-5 years. Last year they set a franchise record for April. Come June, if they're relatively healthy and not bombing spectacularly on a nightly basis and barely hovering around .500, we'll know they have something. For now I think healthy skepticism is the way to go.

• Upvote 2

Just now, nycdan said:

Nitpicking here, but I think when you lose, you can declare 'healthy skepticism'.  When you win, it's more like 'tempered optimism'.  Let those endorphins flow a little.  Enjoy the moment.  

The Mets have ruined my ability to enjoy any moments.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

With power.

Even if he tails off, he should hit, 110-120 home runs!

He's responsible for 100% of the team's RBI's. Preposterous.

• Upvote 1

DeGrom’s era his last 30 starts is 1.4.

What the actual ****. He has to be the best pitcher in baseball right now, right? 

• Upvote 3

That was painful to watch, but at least Nimmo looks like he's breaking out of his funk. The thing that's encouraging about a guy like him slumping like that is you know somewhere on the back end it's going to even out. Hopefully he wakes up for this upcoming stretch of 6/9 against Philly.

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Didn't watch.  When it was 6-1 I'd had my fill.  Chalked it up to a bad day.  Went golfing instead.  A different kind of suffering.  Thought they'd mount some kind of a comeback.  Good to see.  If the game had gone a little differently, they may have had a chance to pull it out.

The ball to Left Field that got over McNeil's head was a killer.  Set the tone for the rest of the game.  Still not sure he had any chance on that ball.  Misjudged it for sure.

The one thing that's been established in this early part of the season is that this is going to be one tough division. The best in baseball. I don't think that's an exaggeration.  Funny how over the course of a few seasons, the landscape in baseball has changed.

If they're serious about making a run this year they should add Keuchel or Kimbrel. It's clear the pitching isn't where it needs to be and who knows what happens throughout the year with Thor's health and Wheeler's inevitable ups and downs. Vargas isn't enough and the bullpen is too thin to rely on Lugo or Gsellman as starters again.

But it's nice to see that finally the offense doesn't seem to be the problem. Pitching is far more easy to solve than hitting. Especially in-season.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Watching a Mets offense with this much homegrown talent put up numbers like this is ******* cool.

But man, do we need pitching. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Travis DFA'd. Had to be done. We need pitching bad.

On the bright side of things it looks like Lowrie is coming back soon, but the problem is the infield is the last place the Mets need a body.

I actually really like where this team is right now. A fantastic young core of offensive players that are keeping the team around .500. Pitching problems are more easily solved than hitting problems. The Mets have some veteran assets that they can hopefully turn around into some solutions once the deadline starts approaching.  So long as the team is at .500 at the break with no major injuries we're fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

He’s expendable with Alonso slamming it. Dom is strictly a 1st baseman and would be a nice chip to trade in a package. Nice to see him finally come around. Trade him by the trade deadline and get a prospect. We have so many positions, C, 3rd base, OF, pitching where we need young talent.

It's a good thing they didn't trade one of the best OF prospects in baseball for Robinson Cano.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Been living out in Chicago area about 20 years; never been to one of the rooftops, and I would not want to go for a Met game -- for exactly the reason you mention.  I assume I would not see much of the game (might be a bonus right now).

Not a big fan of Wrigley; its a bucket list item for any baseball fan, but I am not thrilled with sight lines, seating options, obstructed views and I especially don't like the prices for the last few years since the Cubs have been good.  I love the neighborhood in and around the stadium, but the stadium itself is not one of my favorites.

+1 to this. As a nostalgic visit for a tourist, Wrigley is cool. Having to go and watch more than one game there is terrible. It’s an absolute sh*thole. 

The rooftops were cool until they blocked them off. You used to be able to get good weekday deals on Groupon for them and it’s was worth it. Now not so much. 

Cubs fans are also drunken buffoons. Loveable they are not. Between all the vomiting and belligerent yelling they are the most annoying sports fans in the country. Between the stadium and the fans Cubs games are not a great experience. 

Sox fans on the otherhand are pretty on the level. 

• Upvote 1

The Cano trade is already looking like it's going to be all-time bad. Good lord is he useless. I can't believe they unloaded Kellenic for him after what they saw out of McNeil last year.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:31 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Move Tampa back to Montreal , and put Montreal back in the NL.

Scott siding with the French. Not surprising.

• Haha 1

So pretty sure they did it to troll the Yankees and I gotta say that’s a pretty great reason. Fair play.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Traded away our 2016 first round pick (# 4 prospect) as well as the # 6 prospect in the system.  Doubt either were going to end up much of anything, but then again Kay had TJ surgery so his development was delayed. 

Kay's OK, not amazing. Who knows with Richardson. Stroman for both seems like a pretty fair trade-off. It's a weird move but it's not like handing Kelenic over. That said Brodie has pretty much drained the farm the past year and it's all been in weird ******* moves.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been the biggest fan of Brodie, but for the first time since '15 I think the Mets finally got the deadline right. They refused to get taken advantage of and said **** it, we're not totally out of it yet and the team seems to be in a good headspace right now and DeGrom looks to be back to last year's form, let's just go for it. Compensation can still be had in the offseason for all the guys they were thinking about moving anyways so why the hell not. Life is short.

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2019 at 8:33 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Regardless how this year ends, this is a good building year 

I mean kinda, but are we sold on Brodie being able to actually capitalize on it? Some decent moves and some hella bad ones. Setting up a good young offense is definitely the right first step, but the in-between stuff with the right vets is just as important and if Jed Lowrie and Robinson Cano are the type of guys we're doing that with it's hard to believe we're going to be able to keep up with this division. The NL East is relentless.

I feel like if the Mets keep him everyone is going to stop caring about this by March at the latest. The Internet has a short memory.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

What we saw yesterday is a capsule of what we saw in 2019. Which was too bad because Brodie gave up a lot of assets to get Diaz they planned to have a good bullpen and it dramatically failed. They eventually took Diaz out of that role but probably too late. 

I was not a fan of the Diaz trade but Swarzak isn't even on a team right now and Dunn barely made the roster. Kelenic looks like a stud but Seattle still isn't calling him up which is really odd at this point. Trading Kelenic was colossally stupid but it's not looking like as disastrous a trade as we originally all thought. Not to mention the fact that with the emergence of Davis the Mets OF is the last thing they have to worry about for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Peterson kid had a little moxie. Got into some tough spots and worked his way out.

Bullpen, even with the uncertain start for Diaz, looks much better this year. 

Nimmo has been squaring up the ball almost every at bat.

Alonso looks lost.

Took Davis a few days to find his footing too. Rojas still seems like he's feeling his way around the lineup. I liked the idea of hitting Alonso at 2 on Monday, I wish he'd do it for a few more games to let him work stuff out. Slow start for him seemed inevitable with the season he had and the bizarre offseason. 

I'm a huge fan of him being able to play the hot hand with Nimmo at 9 and Rosario leading off. It's a really deep lineup. Whatever pitching woes the Mets have they sure do have the ability to swing a game quickly this year. Once Alonso gets going look out. 

• Upvote 1

Does the team have a rule that it has to hit like sh*t when DeGrom starts? Unreal.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Stroman to face hitters tomorrow. If Peterson can just give them one more quality outing that will be huge.

Dozier is at 2nd today. I completely forgot we signed that guy.

I don't understand how the Mets can completely change their rosters over the years and yet it's still the same team all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It took the Mets a full week to completely rob all the joy of having baseball back. It's almost impressive 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Silver lining is Gimenez. Holy cow is that kid for real. I am an Amed fan but they are going to have to move him elsewhere because Giminez is a whiz with his glove. Clearly their best infielder.

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company