32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

Hello Cano! 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Lugo perfect in the 7th (3 Ks).  If that continues, that's HUGE.   And if Familia can keep things on the right track, we'd have a rock solid bullpen for the late innings.  While normally I'd love to have seen a little more offense, it was Scherzer so I'll absolutely declare victory and move on.

I'll hope that Trae Turner's 3 steals were more about Turner than about Ramos.  We'll sort that out in the next few weeks.

Not a great job by Rosario on that steal attempt in the 9th.  Again, hopefully that gets fixed.

Overall, what a nice way to start the season.  I honestly can't remember the last time we lost on opening day.  

If I'm not mistaken, Turner is the 2nd fastest dude in the league...

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You may be right.  That's why I'm giving Ramos a pass although 3-3 was a little painful.  Still, it's not like Mets fans remember what a catcher who can hold runners looks like anyway...

hahaha - the ones to second were just good breaks that I'm pretty confident nobody throws out.  He at least had a decent throw to 1st that if Alonso was in better position might have been able to drop a better tag..  The one that stung was to third but who saw that coming vs. a lefty?

So, is it safe to sa Trae Turner is the new Mets killer on the Nats? 

• Upvote 1

Oh and quick reminder, Pete Alonso is a Gator.

thanks, 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but he kills everyone.  It's not like friggin Pat Burrell, who mostly sucked until it came time to face the Mets.

Yeah, he's a stud.  I just feel like he feasts on us.  

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

And its not just at the plate.  Have we ever thrown him out on the base paths.  The guy runs at will on us; every time he is on base its at least a double.

That’s what I’m saying.  He loves him some Mets. 

DeGrom was sooo good last night.  Soooo good.  14 K's, 2 shutouts now on the season.  Yes, I think he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Was kind of funny though, I was texting with my brother during the game like; if our bullpen can stay healthy and it comes together the way they envisioned, this team could be a very tough team to beat with the Mets starting rotation.   And then the Mets gave up 4 in the 8th to the Marlins.  lol

Too bad the NL East is the best division in baseball...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Strasburg is such a streaky pitcher.  Gets shelled at Nationals Park and pitches a 2 hitter at Citi.

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Been kind of lucky that the bullpen has not blown any games.  Yet.  I think we have given up 11 9th inning runs in 7 games.  Can't win consistently that way, but at least you also cannot expect the pen to be this bad all year.  Between Lugo, Gsellman, Familia and Diaz, we should be a lot better than we have looked; but its early.  Bound to get better.

The key word was how they "envisioned" the bullpen coming together.  I'm fully expecting the worst.

Go Mets! 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would have preferred that sent deGrom to the mound for the home opener at Citi! Fans would have gone crazy welcoming back Jacob on a long-term deal!

Instead, Mets offense stinks it up.... you needed the 0.00 ERA STUD out there!

True.  Not that Noah is a bad consolation prize but I'm with ya! 

That said, I just learned what the league did to them the night before.  Apparently the league administer drug tests before they left Miami and wouldnt let them leave till they were done.  The flight didnt get off the ground till 11:30pm.  Landing at 3am in the morning with a 1pm home opener?  

That's ****ed up.   

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Once, just once, can we please get a drama free 9th inning. 

We are sitting 8-4, feel good about the record, love what I am seeing offensively (as a Met-Jet fan when is the last time I said that) but man, these late innings are brutal.  Not quite sure how we have given up so many 8th and 9th inning runs without it costing us a game yet.  All I am asking for is one game where we have a 9-1 lead after 7; or 6-2 in the 8th.  And we finish it off without drama.  Thought it might happen last night, then next thing you know, Freddie Freeman is the tying run at the plate.  Diaz got him, but its never easy with this team.

First place.  8-4.  Get this bullpen figured out and we might have something this year.

It's a bizarro world where our bats are carrying the team.  Not sure what to make of it, I figured pitching would be our strength and loved the moves they made to strengthen the pull pen on paper, it just hasnt been going that way so far.  I'm hoping that will change.  I hope it doesnt coincide with bats going cold.   

Jesus h Christ does this pitching staff blow donkey dick 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

8th inning last night was brutal, lucky to still be in the game after that.  At least it was nice to see Diaz come in and blow them away in the bottom of the 11th.  3 batters, 3 striekouts, no drama.  Just what you want out of a closer.

Is it me, or does Micky seem to stick with Pitchers a little too long?  And then he makes some head scratching decisions too.  Why not bring in Diaz in the 8th when they needed the one out?  Why Gsellman?   And why not pull Noah when it was clear he was about to give away the lead? 

Famalia is clearly not comfortable as the set-up man.  Great in theory but he just does not look comfortable coming in during the 8th.  

The starting pitching I'm not too concerned about, I'm going to chalk it up to a rough patch of games.  Noah and Jake are hitting the velocity, so it's probably just an issue of mechanics to get the location back.  Relief pitching?  Ugh.  It's a roll of the dice right now.

Thanks god the bats are on, which is cool and totally rare to see as a Mets fan.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Familia was fine with the role after the trade to Oakland last year. 

I didnt follow him in Oakland to know his specific role.  Was he a set up man out there?  

He certainly doesnt look comfortable in the role right now.  He's been a disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Blake Treinen was the A's closer when Familia was dealt last year, and they used Familia to get to him. He did it with initially great results, and then fell off a bit. He finished with a 3.45 ERA for the A's. Not great, but not terrible either.

Familia was set-up for the Mets in 2014 before earning the closer gig in 2015. he was great that year.

All that said, I am not sure what this year will be for him at this point. He is just not hitting spots. That is putting it mildly.

He wasnt the closer in 14?  Who was he setting up?  My memory is shot right now...

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The only silver lining in all of this is that the Braves, Phillies and Nats bullpens have all been dumpster fires too.

Really, around the league there is a lot of bad bullpenning going on.

That, and the ball is juiced again.

This is true.  Which makes me think to myself; how the hell are Kimbrel and Keuchel not signed?  And why not go sign them if you're the Mets? 

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

We got our answer "why on Gsellman in the 8th" question. Callaway said he is going to use Diaz mostly in 3 out situations. He said he may detour at times, but that is his current approach.

Maybe this is a concession to Diaz' former bone spurs in elbow.

Interesting.  I just came across this article:

https://sports.yahoo.com/mets-seem-committed-being-dumb-143415703.html

Last night, the Mets were clinging to a one-run lead in the eighth inning. Jeruys Familia didn’t have it. He gave up a single and a walk to put two men on and then lucked into a double play. Then he walked two more guys to load the bases. With the heart of the Phillies order coming to the plate, the game was on the line. That it was the Phillies — who the Mets figure to be battling all season long in the NL East — means that this game mattered a whole heck of a lot. The Mets needed an out there. The leverage could not have been higher.

This past offseason the Mets swung a blockbuster trade for reliever Edwin Díaz. Díaz saved 57 games last year and, before last night, had allowed only one run in seven outings. He also had not pitched since last Thursday. Díaz is the Mets’ best reliever, he was more than fully rested and he was ready to go in the bullpen. So what did Mets manager Mickey Callaway do?

He put Robert Gsellman in the game. Gsellman issued a bases-loaded walk on four pitches which forced extras innings. The Mets ended up winning the game — and Díaz got the save — but a good outcome does mean that a bad decision was not made. The win notwithstanding, not using Díaz in the eighth was a bad decision.

After the game, Calloway met the press and from the sound of it he and the Mets seem content to make bad decisions in the future too:

“He’s not going to get four outs. He’s going to get three . . . When we get to the playoffs, he’ll be available for more than three outs.”

Díaz is young and has had bone spurs, so perhaps some caution with him is necessary, but who said he had to get four outs in that situation? Why not just bring him in for the one critical out? Or, maybe two if Callaway decided to pull the plug on Familia earlier in the inning? Callaway also added that he has faith in his other relievers. OK, fine. Even better then to use Díaz for one out there and one of his other relievers in the ninth inning, which would’ve started with a one-run lead and no one on base, thereby presenting way lower leverage, right?

This approach to using Díaz is sub-optimal pitcher usage. The “three outs only” thing — and the assumption that, if used in the eighth last night, he would’ve had to get four outs — is about catering to the save statistic.

Callaway says he’ll change all of that once the Mets are in the playoffs, but by mismanaging his bullpen like this, he’s going to end up harming the Mets’ chances of making the playoffs in the first place.

• Upvote 2

Holy sh*t.  This is bad.  Like really bad.  Our pitching staff is absolutely god awful.  How did this happen?  Our starters are a straight joke.

This is looking like another one of those nice starts only to be a disaster in the long run.  

27th in ERA.  27th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was fun while it lasted...

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hahaha way to go Bryce! 12th career ejection. What a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Cant stand the dbag.  And why in that situation?  Just shut up.  He was calling it high all game long.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have never seen so many balls riding in on hitters hands as this season. With this damn juiced ball, pitchers are having to pitch inside.

Gio lost his best stuff a couple of years ago. But, he is that crafty lefty that seems to get guys out somehow. His career numbers are great at Citi, too. Plus, he is not Vargas. I would much rather have him than Keuchel. 

I was just about to post about him when I saw the Yanks let him go.  He was a Mets killer.  Loves Citi.  

Not sure I prefer him to Keuchel but you would think he's much cheaper and much more a Mets type signing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he's an entitled prick who thinks he's a god and how dare any umpire call a strike when he thinks its a ball. 

That's what happens when you're worshiped and called a phenom from a very young age, get Scott Boras as your agent while you're 15 years old, then play a year of JUCO ball when you're 16 so you can "graduate" high school early and focus on baseball and enter the draft.  You derive your entire self-worth on your ability to play baseball, without ever having to develop anything close to a likable personality. 

It's partly why you need a lot of guys on your roster who played college ball for 3 years and learned at one time or another that the world doesn't revolve around you, to offset a lot of these prep stars who only know about 2 things:  1) Baseball, and 2) I'm good at it.  Otherwise a guy like Harper can destroy a locker room on his own.

Even Arrieta called him out.  Said after the game “We need him in rightfield.  I don’t care how bad the umpire is. We need him in rightfield and he wasn’t there. That hurts.”

It's only April of the first year of his mega-deal, folks.  The Harper show has only just begun. 

He always starts hot, so for sh*ts and giggles I was looking at his stats the other day.  Did you know, he's only hit 100 RBI's once so far in his career?  Never new that.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

And Gonzalez goes to the Brewers. And we get Vargas tonight.

Just saw that...though Wheeler's out was very encouraging...even at the plate!

Pete Alonso is a Gator.  Just want to remind everyone real quick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I'm not going to keep it clean.  Angel Hernandez is a piece of sh*t umpire who should be nowhere near a baseball field unless he buys tickets.

I knew that Flexen was going to blow this game, he tried twice.  Clueless Mickey should have seen it too.  I would've rather taken a chance with a starter, any starter finishing that inning, than trotting him back out there.  Gsellman was a stud tonight.  He had another inning in him.  Lugo did too.  I am sick an tired of these "pitch count mavens" throwing away games, all for the sake of 15 less pitches on a professional pitchers arm.  I am also sick an tired of "Clueless Mickey" squandering Diaz with meaningless appearances.  He is our closer, let him close.  Don't burn him for nothing.  I understand it was on the road, but still.

Candidates for a seat on the bench.  Todd Frazier.  He has killed any momentum this team with his return.  One home run, then pffffttttt.  Typical.  No range in the field either.  Let JD Davis play a little, at least he sparked the team in a few games.  Nimmo needs to sit down too.  He has lost his eye at the plate, doesn't work pitchers, they're working him.  When he does get a pitch to drive, he is tentative.  Time to sit and refocus.  Rosario needs to sit for a few games also.  His fielding has been pitiful.  What happened?  Head games....  Let him sit and refocus.  Stopped going to the opposite field at the plate.  His wheels are falling off, triple notwithstanding.  Conforto is starting to get pull happy again, although he is not striking out and he's still getting his share of hits.  Average is falling a bit because of his reticence over going opposite field.

There's no reason to be losing these games.  Ramos has failed in big spots lately.  His bat looks slow, and tired.  Give him a  couple of games off.  Cano needs to step up.  Hechaverria  was very impressive today. Both in the field and at bat.  He's a Major Leaguer. Should have a spot on this team.  Won't have room when Lowrie comes back.  Shame.

Glad I got this off my chest.  Until tomorrow.  

This has been my gripe with Mickey since last year, it’s like he has a number in his head about how many pitches and nothing else matters.  Quite a few games it seems like he’s almost willing to take the L rather than make a pitch change. 

On a positive note, Pete Alonso, the Florida Gator, is awesome.  

• Upvote 1

Well, at the last the nose dive started early this season but on a positive note....they have a very favorable schedule to make up some ground before a brutal west coast trip to LA and Arizona at the end of the month/early June.

If they could beat up on the badies over the next month, they might be able to recover.  I'm not holding my breath though.  I had this team anywhere between 60 wins and 90, that's how "who knows" this roster is but 60 seems about right now.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, 14 in Green said:

First losing streak of the season guys. Calm down. LOL

If we're still struggling come Memorial Day, we'll be able to revel in our usual 4 months of irrelevance. 

It's bad getting worse...

Well, at least Pete Alonso is a beast. 

...and a Gator.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve only been following the Mets when they’re on TV at the gym but SNY just did three back-to-back-to-back panel segments on Jed Lowrie so I’m assuming the season is over??? 

Yes but man was the end of March and beginning of April fun! 

• Like 1

I mean, the team isn’t this bad.  Fire Mick already.  My gawd.  Send a message 

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2019 at 3:24 PM, Lith said:

Well, who saw that coming. 4 game sweep of the Nats on the heels of the being swept in Miami. Juan Lagares and Rajai Davis the heroes yesterday. Carlos Gomez today. Needed this reminder that baseball can be fun.

Let’s go Mets!!! Keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Crazy the contributions from players who werent on the roster opening day, already.

It was lovely seeing them get back to .500....but this road trip is brutal.  If they're somehow able to keep it around the .500 mark and get 3 wins, I'd be pretty happy with that...but I dont see a pretty outlook.  They could easily lose 4 of the next 6, if not lose the whole west coast trip. 

23 hours ago, JiF said:

Crazy the contributions from players who werent on the roster opening day, already.

It was lovely seeing them get back to .500....but this road trip is brutal.  If they're somehow able to keep it around the .500 mark and get 3 wins, I'd be pretty happy with that...but I dont see a pretty outlook.  They could easily lose 4 of the next 6, if not lose the whole west coast trip. 

There is a 0% chance they win another game in L.A.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:51 PM, Scott Dierking said:

The pitching (starting) is not what it was ever cracked up to be.

My hope is that they deal Wheeler for one of the Padres true stud starting pitchers.

How about that relief pitching!!!????!!!

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Damn, LA is good. And damn, do the Mets look bad.

It's not every day you get a chance to blow a 5 run lead. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company