32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

This smells a little like the Bobby Bonilla deal. 

• Upvote 1

Lugo perfect in the 7th (3 Ks).  If that continues, that's HUGE.   And if Familia can keep things on the right track, we'd have a rock solid bullpen for the late innings.  While normally I'd love to have seen a little more offense, it was Scherzer so I'll absolutely declare victory and move on.

I'll hope that Trae Turner's 3 steals were more about Turner than about Ramos.  We'll sort that out in the next few weeks.

Not a great job by Rosario on that steal attempt in the 9th.  Again, hopefully that gets fixed.

Overall, what a nice way to start the season.  I honestly can't remember the last time we lost on opening day.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It was one game. Mets have been one of the strongest March/April teams in the league for the past 4-5 years. Last year they set a franchise record for April. Come June, if they're relatively healthy and not bombing spectacularly on a nightly basis and barely hovering around .500, we'll know they have something. For now I think healthy skepticism is the way to go.

Nitpicking here, but I think when you lose, you can declare 'healthy skepticism'.  When you win, it's more like 'tempered optimism'.  Let those endorphins flow a little.  Enjoy the moment.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If I'm not mistaken, Turner is the 2nd fastest dude in the league...

You may be right.  That's why I'm giving Ramos a pass although 3-3 was a little painful.  Still, it's not like Mets fans remember what a catcher who can hold runners looks like anyway...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He got tremendous jumps on the pitcher.  One swipe tag was dropped.  One throw was high.  He is one dangerous man on the base paths.  I think he is the best base stealer in baseball.  Ramos will be fine.  Great blocking the ball today.  May have saved a run. Rosario on the other hand got a poor jump and his slide was atrocious.  "Learning to fly."

Looked like Rosario slid straight into the bag instead of hooking around the tag.  I'm not sure I had a good angle on it, but it did look a bit like "HERE'S MY LEG!"

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The Mets actually gave the Phillies enough (about 2mil) money to pay the rest of Vargas’ 2019 salary also. Phil’s will be stuck with his ‘20 option though, so Mets actually save another $2million on this deal.

Hard to know what the Mets are thinking though. Can’t say they’re trying for a WC when you give a division rival a decent starter for free basically.

Right now,  ‘20 rotation of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz and Strohman looks formidable. If they aren’t blown away by trade offers, why not go with that and try to fix the defense in the offseason?

This would make sense if the Wilson’s didn’t own the team, and they didn’t hate Thor, or had the money to resign Wheeler. Oh well....

That is arguably the best starting staff in MLB.  If Diaz returns to form next season, it would be ridiculously talented.  The question then, is can we 1) assemble just enough hitting and defense to support the pitching, and 2) Can the team avoid finding new and creative ways to suck for a week at a time long enough to stay in the race.

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

6 man rotation ; WOOHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to find our John Smoltz.  Stat!

For just a brief moment in time, the Mets are fun and relevant.  I think Jeff McNeil's 'flying squirrel' catch into the net last night was a great moment for this team.  Keep having fun and scratching out some wins.  To think that by tomorrow night they could be at .500 is pretty nuts considering where they were just two weeks ago.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I haven't been the biggest fan of Brodie, but for the first time since '15 I think the Mets finally got the deadline right. They refused to get taken advantage of and said **** it, we're not totally out of it yet and the team seems to be in a good headspace right now and DeGrom looks to be back to last year's form, let's just go for it. Compensation can still be had in the offseason for all the guys they were thinking about moving anyways so why the hell not. Life is short.

Wheeler is a FA after this season so the only comp would be a draft pick if he signs elsewhere.  Still, I'd rather take a shot this season with him and get the pick than trade him for an undervalued package.  The only deal I can't figure out is what we took back for Vargas.  It seems like he should have fetched more than a catcher who hits below the Mendoza line.

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Cant keep running Diaz out there in the 9th inning.  Can't get through an inning without giving up a run anymore.  Demote him from closer role.  Sit him for a few days.  Put him on the IL with "shoulder soreness."  Gotta do something; he can't keep the ball in the park anymore.

Thankfully Ramos gave him enough runs to work with that he was able to survive.  Good come from behind win, but a clean 9th would hve been better.

Seriously, shouldn't Mickey be giving Lugo a look as closer for now?  Are we putting fragile egos ahead of wins?

3 games out of the Wild Card.  3 games!  Sure there are 5 teams to pass but 3 of them are within 1 game now and we could be breathing down the Nationals' and Cardinals' necks by the end of the week if they can keep this up.  And we are playing 4 vs. MIA so why not.

You Gotta Believe!

St. Louis
58 52 .527 +0.5 0 5-5 L2

Washington
58 53 .523 0 3-7 L2

Philadelphia
58 53 .523 0 5-5 L1

Milwaukee
57 56 .504 2.0 49 4-6 L4

San Francisco
56 56 .500 2.5 49 4-6 L1

Arizona
56 56 .500 2.5 49 5-5 W2

N.Y. Mets
55 56 .495 3.0 49 9-1 W2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody ever mentions this, but we’ve played fewer home games then anyone in baseball.

After today’s win, we’ve played 48 at home and 63 away. That means of our final 51 games, we have 33 remaining home games, and only 18 away.

That should be a huge advantage. Just need to play well at Citi, and we got ourselves a playoff team!

The home games are nice, but that really only adds a win or two.  The real gem is our remaining strength of schedule which is one of the best in the National League.  On top of that the better teams that we play include the ones we have to pass for the Wild Card so we really have a bit more control over our destiny than the standings might indicate.  Even if they play .600 ball the rest of the way they have a good shot as that would put them at roughly ten over (86-76).  Given the home games, the weaker teams, and the way they are playing right now, I'm paying attention.

• Upvote 1

I missed this the other day.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh.  Give him credit for keeping the team together and focused, for sure.  But as exciting as this is, they're beating the dregs of the MLB right now.

I legit predicted this in thread a few weeks ago.  And he hasnt had to make any decisions.  They're mashing the ball and he's been getting great starting matched with comfortable leads.  It wont be so easy in the next coming series, at least I dont think. 

All that said, when both starting pitching and mashing come together, it's a tough to beat recipe.   So I'm a little more optimistic going into this stretch than I was when I posted...

They may yet rip our hearts out, but there is no way you can't be optimistic.  Alonzo and Conforto are going full beast mode.

What kills me is looking back at all those games the bullpen threw away.  Give me back any 3 of them and we are in the wild card.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I cautiously optimistic it's not a tease.  As I said, it's all coming together.  When they were in the downward spiral, I was the one that kept saying this team is better than this.

The biggest reason I'm optimistic is because Rosario/McNeil/Davis sprinkled with some others here and there have really been carrying the bats since the break.  Now it's those 3 with the 2 most explosive bats on the team getting hot...it's a tough line up to get through right now even with a couple of easy outs a night.  Throw in Stroman, the Mets have a great rotation.  It's a good recipe if they can keep it going vs. the better teams.

Imagine if Diaz got his head out of his ass?  Then I'd actually be confident. 

For now, i think even Callway has recognized that Lugo is the closer.  But yeah, if Diaz returned to form (or I'd even take Familia finding his nasty slider again) we could do this.

Diaz - Doesn't insure a zero

Lugo - Let's us get outs

Come on Mickey, why is this so hard?

4 teams within a half game for the 2nd wildcard.  STL is in freefall so maybe it's only 3.  And if the Mets at least win the WAS series, that will bring them down into the mix and open the 2nd spot.  

It's crunch time.

Brewers game is still on (tied 2-2) but for the moment, take a look at this beautiful piece of art:

image.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

The magic carpet ride continues...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I thought I read Judge hit 52. I could be mistaken. 

This is correct.  52 is the target and Alonzo is almost exactly on that pace.  Still, as Boozer said, this, right now is all about making the playoffs.  The starting pitchers had a bit of a rough patch last week.  Let's hope they turn it around.  We need to get back to our putting up a 3-spot in the first inning ways and riding the starter into the 8th with enough of a lead to hold off the inevitable bullpen mess.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company