2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

Time to rebuild this thing right. Not bandaids in hopes of getting lucky and striking a one year run. It is just not going to happen.

Let's face facts, the Braves are going to be really, really good for the next 5 years at least. They have a stash of young pitching that is coming through the organization, and that, with the line-up that they have that will stay together for the while, no one trick ponies will be winning the NL East any time soon.

Build this thing right, re-stock the farm system (the draft thy had this summer was a good start), and forget making stupid trades that only make you older, with dreams of catching lightning in a bottle. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Time to rebuild this thing right. Not bandaids in hopes of getting lucky and striking a one year run. It is just not going to happen.

Let's face facts, the Braves are going to be really, really good for the next 5 years at least. They have a stash of young pitching that is coming through the organization, and that, with the line-up that they have that will stay together for the while, no one trick ponies will be winning the NL East any time soon.

Build this thing right, re-stock the farm system (the draft thy had this summer was a good start), and forget making stupid trades that only make you older, with dreams of catching lightning in a bottle. 

Agreed.  The Braves are unreal and wont lose the division for at least the next 5 years.  

Take a couple of 50-60 win seasons on the chin.  Build from the inside the building, inside out and target 2023 to be competitive again. 

Pretty freaking cool for my alumni brethren right here...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pete-alonso-earned-almost-twice-145606187.html

Sports

Pete Alonso earned almost twice as much at the Home Run Derby as he will all season

The Loop Coleman Bentley,The Loop 6 hours ago 

We are entering an unprecedented age of athlete bargaining power. Sub-.500 career quarterback Kirk Cousins is chilling on a $84-million-dollar contract. NBA superstars handpick their chosen teams like cliquey mean girls. Hell, even Jeopardy! James cleared over two mil this year. Everywhere you look, trade requests are being handed in and healthy players are being scratched from the Meineke Car Care Bowl. In other words, it's a pretty good time to be a professional athlete...unless, of course, you're a recently promoted MLB prospect currently tearing the big leagues a new outfield gap. Then you're screwed.

Due to MLB control rules, which stipulate that a player must play six years before scoring their first free agent contract, many up-and-coming MLB stars find themselves playing for well below market value for much of their prime. Aaron Judge is one example. After smashing his way onto the scene in 2017, winning the Home Run Derby, and becoming the biggest name in baseball (sorry Mike Trout), Judge made $622,300 in 2018.

Pete Alonso is another.

On Monday night, Pete Alonso—who became just the third MLB rookie to hit 30 home runs before the All-Star Game along with Judge and some guy named Mark McGwire—outlasted fellow rook Vlad Gurrero Jr. to take home the 2019 Home Run Derby crown. It was a great moment for Mets fans, who have had precious little to cheer about of late, and the MLB, who added another slugger to their swelling list of superstars, but mostly it was great for Alonso, who pocketed $1-million pre-tax dollars for a single evening of glorified BP. For those of you keeping score at home, that's NEARLY DOUBLE his entire 2019 salary of $550,000.

RELATED: 8 things you can buy with Bobby Bonilla's annual Mets salary

When you can make double in a single night what you earn all year and regularly outplay a division rival on a $330-MILLION-DOLLAR DEAL, it's safe to say that your employer has some wage structure issues to sort out. It will be 2025 by the time Pete Alonso hits free agency and even if America's ballparks aren't being used as field hospitals in the Great Alien Wars by then, that's still a veryyyy long time to wait for a kid who is ready for stardom right now.

So what's the answer? Is it to reduce service requirements to four years or add in "Supermax" exceptions like the NBA has done? Is it to start slapping teams who call up their rising stars for 171 of the 172 days required for a "full" MLB season on the wrist? That's ultimately for the MLBPA—arguably the most powerful union on earth, it should be said—to figure out, but one thing's for certain: Pete Alonso can't win the Home Run Derby every year...can he?

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  The Braves are unreal and wont lose the division for at least the next 5 years.  

Take a couple of 50-60 win seasons on the chin.  Build from the inside the building, inside out and target 2023 to be competitive again. 

This roster is so cluttered with garbage contracts, (Cano, Cespedes, Lowrie, Familia, Ramos), and players that are of no value except as middling trade chips (Wheeler, Matz, Syndegaard, Diaz?), we really have no choice but to tear it down. 

But how? Nobody is taking any of our relievers. Players like Conforto, Nimmo, our shortstop, cf and even D. Smith really aren’t going to bring back much. 

This team is in a really bad spot right now. Do you trade deGrom now if you’re looking 5 years down the road? Honestly McNeil and Alonso are the only two I wouldn’t trade. But aside from these 3, who’s bringing anything of value in a trade?

The Cano deal may ending being close to, if not more dreadful than the Kazmir deal.

Kelenic and Dunn are lighting it up, so is Swarzak and heck even Jay Bruce. It was appalling to me when it happened and it's even worse than bad over half a year later.

Jay Bruce has 4 HR's and 11 RBI's against just the Mets this year, and Cano has 4 HR's and 18 RBI's all season.

• Upvote 1

Before tonight, only 4 Mets have ever driven in a run in an all star game. Mazzilli with a  2 run HR and Wright with a solo shot.  Hojo and Piazza also had 1 rbi games (both on singles), a total of 5 Mets all star RBI's in the team's history. Alonso becomes the only Met other than Mazzilli to have multiple RBI's in a game or a career

Alonso also had a stolen base, albeit on the back end of a double steal.  He's the 7th Met to have one (strawberry did it twice) but only HoJo had a SB and an RBI in one game

All nice and well but damn, I wanted to see a grand slam there. Would have made a nice addition to the story.

It is going to be  a slow post all star run at New Ebbetts Field. McNeil and Alonso chasing records will be the only reason to follow this team every day.

With 72 games left, Alonso needs 12 HR's to break Beltran/Hundley's single season team record. He is on pace for 54 now. Team RBI record is 124. He's on pace for 123. Team record is 80 EBH's, he is on pace for 96. Mets Total base record is 334. He's on a pace for 383. Right now, his slugging pct is .634, 20 points better than the team record. To be even handed here, he is on pace for 166 strikeouts which would also be a team record. If Jack Reacher was a ballplayer, he would be Pete Alonso. All in all, not bad for a rookie. 

McNeil is on pace for 45 2B's. Team record is 44. He is hitting .349, 5 points below Olerud's team record. He was ahead of him before the last game. 

Rookies and sophs tend to fade in the second half as they are not used to the grind of 162, but it would be nice to see both these guys set a new standards here. It is desperately needed

With this team, they'll probably trade both of them next year for some over the hill Fregosi, Foy or Cano type 

• Upvote 1

Check the first page of this thread. 

I said the Cano deal had “George Foster” written all over it. Mid 30s, coming off an 80 game PED suspension. Who couldn’t see this coming? It turns out I was insulting George Foster.

As far as Diaz, I have to be honest. I never thought we were getting another Familia. What a waste this whole offseason was. Is Jed Lowrie even alive at this point?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This roster is so cluttered with garbage contracts, (Cano, Cespedes, Lowrie, Familia, Ramos), and players that are of no value except as middling trade chips (Wheeler, Matz, Syndegaard, Diaz?), we really have no choice but to tear it down. 

But how? Nobody is taking any of our relievers. Players like Conforto, Nimmo, our shortstop, cf and even D. Smith really aren’t going to bring back much. 

This team is in a really bad spot right now. Do you trade deGrom now if you’re looking 5 years down the road? Honestly McNeil and Alonso are the only two I wouldn’t trade. But aside from these 3, who’s bringing anything of value in a trade?

It is not as dour as you make it out here.

Beyond next season, the only guaranteed money the Mets have committed is: deGrom, Cano, Familia.

I would be very interested in the project to move Rosario to CF and see if he can handle the position defensively. If he can, then you have a CF that can hit .275 and be a 20/20 guy. Those are better numbers than the Mets have had since the Beltran days. If that works out, you have a starting nucleus of:

1B Alonso.

2b Wheeler

CF Rosario

RF Conforto

Not a bad starting point. The big question is can they just cut bait with Cano.

I hate to talk minor leagues, as it is a flip of a coin, but you have to hope that one of the 3 SS prospects of Gimenez, Mauricio or the Netherlands kid can work out.

At 3B one of Viento or this year's number 1 (Baty) work out. Not a big stretch.

That leaves C ( and Nido impresses more every day), and LF.

Pitching is a whole other thing, and it is foolish to talk pitching 2 or 3 years down the road.

The fact of the matter is that this all boils down to whether this front office can analyze and develop relief pitchers. If they are just able to convert half, again half!!!!! of this year's blown saves, they are in a playoff position right now.

I really do like the top of the draft they put together this year.  The Allan pick in the 3rd round can be a coup if it works out. The Mets would have smartly played knowing the player better than everyone else, and stole a first round talent. The top 3 picks all look solid and the Mets played that smartly. I like the approach the FO did there. They did their homework.

Again, not a terrible position to be in. Can they get something out of a Wheeler deal this deadline?  I know they won't, but trading deGrom right could be a windfall. 

There is talent at the mlb level (young talent), and the farm system is not barren.

Let me run through who I think we should keep should we tear it down and rebuild (which we should definitely do)

Conforto is streaky, but he gets on base at a good rate and has good power. He's still young too, and a great piece to build around

Rosario has potential, but it's year 3 and his plate discipline is still atrocious, however he seems to be getting better and if he can improve his OBP than he'll be a star. He fits the all around player prototype perfectly

Jeff McNeil is the best pure contact hitter in Baseball, and might just be the best one I've seen in a while. Player prototypes like his are reminiscent of guys like Boggs, and Gwynn. Which in the age of strikeout or Homerun Baseball is very very rare.

Alonso is untouchable for obvious reasons. He's the best pure power hitter in the game right now, and he's a rookie. 30 dingers at the break is just absurdly good, and he seems well on his way to shatter our single season record. 

Keeping deGrom is a no brainer, and with his contract it isn't even a choice. 

Ronny Mauricio will be great, do not ever think of dealing him Jeff. 

Syndergaard is tradeable in my eyes. His era is in the 4's this year, and even though he has a history with domination, he also has a history with injuries. We could get some serious prospects for him to help replenish what was lost to Seattle. And if a guy like Hiura is on the table for Syndergaard, we have to at least consider it. 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:26 PM, faba said:

To think Pete  was not a sure thing to be on the roster at the start of the season. Thankfully Mets made one right decision

Organization continually proves it has zero, and I do mean zero ability at assessing both free agents and its own individual players 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This will never happen under the Wilpons. This should have been the approach last off-season, but Wilpon bought BVW's magic sack of beans and thus here we are.

We’ve played a lot more games on the road then at home. When that evens up, we could be around .500 and back in the wild card race, as crazy as that sounds.

This team drives me insane. There’s a part of me that thinks we can pull that off, but I really think the best move would be trading guys like Wheeler(damn injury) and Syndergaard. Guys like Frazier, Lagares, Ramos, etc I’d dump in a second.

The FAN was talking about an interesting proposal today sending Noah to the Yanks for Clint Frazier and another top prospect whose name I can’t remember. Supposedly one of their best though. 

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

We’ve played a lot more games on the road then at home. When that evens up, we could be around .500 and back in the wild card race, as crazy as that sounds.

This team drives me insane. There’s a part of me that thinks we can pull that off, but I really think the best move would be trading guys like Wheeler(damn injury) and Syndergaard. Guys like Frazier, Lagares, Ramos, etc I’d dump in a second.

The FAN was talking about an interesting proposal today sending Noah to the Yanks for Clint Frazier and another top prospect whose name I can’t remember. Supposedly one of their best though. 

I would do that in a split second.  Noah is all flash, no substance.  Thrower, not a pitcher.  There was a time I would have been against this but they need to look long term and he's really not that good. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would do that in a split second.  Noah is all flash, no substance.  Thrower, not a pitcher.  There was a time I would have been against this but they need to look long term and he's really not that good. 

Noah is very overrated. If they can get real value for him (2 top 100 prospects +) they should do it. They need to infuse this organization with strong, controllable pitching again.

The Mets will be able to cobble together a line-up for the foreseeable future that should be at least good. They need to focus on defensive links (a strong SS and solve CF) and pitching.

Oh, and a manager would not be a bad idea either.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Move Roasario to CF--that would solve 2 problems.  He's really starting to hit.  

If he can in fact play there, I agree. The problem may be, as it is at SS for him, his first step is slow. That can doom a CF. Particularly if we are going to flank him with Smith and Conforto.

The hitting is certainly coming, and he should project to a .280, 20/20 guy. That is not shabby at CF

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If he can in fact play there, I agree. The problem may be, as it is at SS for him, his first step is slow. That can doom a CF. Particularly if we are going to flank him with Smith and Conforto.

The hitting is certainly coming, and he should project to a .280, 20/20 guy. That is not shabby at CF

Agree but he’s fast so I think he has catch up speed whereas at short, that first step and the ball is past you but in center maybe he can recover from the first step and get to balls. He’s a pretty good athlete. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So the Mets trade for a ground ball pitcher who they can only control for 1.5 years to pair with our below average infield defense.

Wtf is happening.

Doesn’t appear we gave up a lot. If Stroehman pitches we’ll we will get good value back in off season or next year trade deadline 

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Doesn’t appear we gave up a lot. If Stroehman pitches we’ll we will get good value back in off season or next year trade deadline 

Traded away our 2016 first round pick (# 4 prospect) as well as the # 6 prospect in the system.  Doubt either were going to end up much of anything, but then again Kay had TJ surgery so his development was delayed.