2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

For just a brief moment in time, the Mets are fun and relevant.  I think Jeff McNeil's 'flying squirrel' catch into the net last night was a great moment for this team.  Keep having fun and scratching out some wins.  To think that by tomorrow night they could be at .500 is pretty nuts considering where they were just two weeks ago.

• Upvote 3

I haven't been the biggest fan of Brodie, but for the first time since '15 I think the Mets finally got the deadline right. They refused to get taken advantage of and said **** it, we're not totally out of it yet and the team seems to be in a good headspace right now and DeGrom looks to be back to last year's form, let's just go for it. Compensation can still be had in the offseason for all the guys they were thinking about moving anyways so why the hell not. Life is short.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I haven't been the biggest fan of Brodie, but for the first time since '15 I think the Mets finally got the deadline right. They refused to get taken advantage of and said **** it, we're not totally out of it yet and the team seems to be in a good headspace right now and DeGrom looks to be back to last year's form, let's just go for it. Compensation can still be had in the offseason for all the guys they were thinking about moving anyways so why the hell not. Life is short.

What they gave up for Strohman does not seem to be much. From what I had ever read on Kay, I was not overly eager to see him in the rotation. Who knows about the other kid?

BVW better make sure he is comfortable with the lower levels of his system's pitching. They are going to need that to come through. Or, they are going to trade Noah this winter.

What is with Rosario playing defense all of a sudden?

BTW, Ruben Tejada is hitting .344 at Syracuse.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wheeler is a FA after this season so the only comp would be a draft pick if he signs elsewhere.  Still, I'd rather take a shot this season with him and get the pick than trade him for an undervalued package.  The only deal I can't figure out is what we took back for Vargas.  It seems like he should have fetched more than a catcher who hits below the Mendoza line.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Wheeler is a FA after this season so the only comp would be a draft pick if he signs elsewhere.  Still, I'd rather take a shot this season with him and get the pick than trade him for an undervalued package.  The only deal I can't figure out is what we took back for Vargas.  It seems like he should have fetched more than a catcher who hits below the Mendoza line.

You would have to think that if BVW did not sell low on Wheeler and Syndergaard, he did not do that on Vargas.

His hands were somewhat tied, as he had to clear a spot on the 40 man for the Strohman deal

You would have to think that if BVW did not sell low on Wheeler and Syndergaard, he did not do that on Vargas.
His hands were somewhat tied, as he had to clear a spot on the 40 man for the Strohman deal
Vargas trade was a statement more than anything if I have to take a guess. The guy may have been somewhat of a cancer on the team and was expendable. They planned on getting rid of him no matter what they got back which should be pretty clear.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Cant keep running Diaz out there in the 9th inning.  Can't get through an inning without giving up a run anymore.  Demote him from closer role.  Sit him for a few days.  Put him on the IL with "shoulder soreness."  Gotta do something; he can't keep the ball in the park anymore.

Thankfully Ramos gave him enough runs to work with that he was able to survive.  Good come from behind win, but a clean 9th would hve been better.

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Cant keep running Diaz out there in the 9th inning.  Can't get through an inning without giving up a run anymore.  Demote him from closer role.  Sit him for a few days.  Put him on the IL with "shoulder soreness."  Gotta do something; he can't keep the ball in the park anymore.

Thankfully Ramos gave him enough runs to work with that he was able to survive.  Good come from behind win, but a clean 9th would hve been better.

Seriously, shouldn't Mickey be giving Lugo a look as closer for now?  Are we putting fragile egos ahead of wins?

Can’t be worried about how a Diaz demotion will look to the press or fan base, BVW! Wins are what matters, so check your ego and put Lugo in the closer role. Relieve the pressure for Diaz and put him in the 7th with Gsellman in 8th.

Hopefully Diaz gets his head together and finds his location again.

3 games out of the Wild Card.  3 games!  Sure there are 5 teams to pass but 3 of them are within 1 game now and we could be breathing down the Nationals' and Cardinals' necks by the end of the week if they can keep this up.  And we are playing 4 vs. MIA so why not.

You Gotta Believe!

St. Louis
58 52 .527 +0.5 0 5-5 L2

Washington
58 53 .523 0 3-7 L2

Philadelphia
58 53 .523 0 5-5 L1

Milwaukee
57 56 .504 2.0 49 4-6 L4

San Francisco
56 56 .500 2.5 49 4-6 L1

Arizona
56 56 .500 2.5 49 5-5 W2

N.Y. Mets
55 56 .495 3.0 49 9-1 W2
  • Upvote 1

Nobody ever mentions this, but we’ve played fewer home games then anyone in baseball.

After today’s win, we’ve played 48 at home and 63 away. That means of our final 51 games, we have 33 remaining home games, and only 18 away.

That should be a huge advantage. Just need to play well at Citi, and we got ourselves a playoff team!

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody ever mentions this, but we’ve played fewer home games then anyone in baseball.

After today’s win, we’ve played 48 at home and 63 away. That means of our final 51 games, we have 33 remaining home games, and only 18 away.

That should be a huge advantage. Just need to play well at Citi, and we got ourselves a playoff team!

The home games are nice, but that really only adds a win or two.  The real gem is our remaining strength of schedule which is one of the best in the National League.  On top of that the better teams that we play include the ones we have to pass for the Wild Card so we really have a bit more control over our destiny than the standings might indicate.  Even if they play .600 ball the rest of the way they have a good shot as that would put them at roughly ten over (86-76).  Given the home games, the weaker teams, and the way they are playing right now, I'm paying attention.

• Upvote 1

OK.  I have officially bought back in.  Last week, I thought the playoff talk was crazy, but I am in.  We jumped the Dbacks and Giants in the standings last night.  17-6 since the break.  Just 2 1/2 back now and two teams ahead of us.  

As much as I loved the 3 HR 7th inning last night, best part of that game had to be Lugo shutting down the Marlins with no drama in the 8th and 9th.

LFGM!!!

• Upvote 4

Have to give Phil Regan lots of credit here. Practically every pitcher (with the notable exception of Diaz) has improved since Regan took the helm of pitching coach. They have adjusted mechanics and changed assortment  of pitches. 

So frustrating watching Diaz and Familia shake their heads and act in mock amazement when they do not get close pitches called. Both are bits of head cases.

Lack of offense in CF and depth now are going to be hard to overcome. Lagares, Altherr and Guillorme at bats are difficult to watch, as they are almost give ups. Freaking Jed Lowrie, where is that stiff?

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

OK.  I have officially bought back in.  Last week, I thought the playoff talk was crazy, but I am in.  We jumped the Dbacks and Giants in the standings last week.  17-6 since the break.  Just 2 1/2 back now and two teams ahead of us.  

As much as I loved the 3 HR 7th inning last night, best part of that game had to be Lugo shutting down the Marlins with no drama in the 8th and 9th.

LFGM!!!

So true on Lugo.  He was on fire.  Hitting the bottom of the zone like a G.  In general though, the pitching has been great.  We've had great starts since the all star break.  Now if Diaz could figure out how to get out of an inning clean, that staff we were all excited about preseason might start taking form.

Just the fact that the 3 home runs were 3 young studs to do it is just exciting and so different for the Mets.  Davis has been on fire and then to see our future tie it up and then hit the go ahead...it was pretty freakin cool. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Have to give Phil Regan lots of credit here. Practically every pitcher (with the notable exception of Diaz) has improved since Regan took the helm of pitching coach. They have adjusted mechanics and changed assortment  of pitches. 

So frustrating watching Diaz and Familia shake their heads and act in mock amazement when they do not get close pitches called. Both are bits of head cases.

Lack of offense in CF and depth now are going to be hard to overcome. Lagares, Altherr and Guillorme at bats are difficult to watch, as they are almost give ups. Freaking Jed Lowrie, where is that stiff?

Worst hamstring injury in the history of hamstring injuries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

OK.  I have officially bought back in.  Last week, I thought the playoff talk was crazy, but I am in.  We jumped the Dbacks and Giants in the standings last night.  17-6 since the break.  Just 2 1/2 back now and two teams ahead of us.  

LFGM!!!

Lugo has been sent by an angel.... with the disappointment of Familia and Diaz, he has been our rock. Watching Diaz in that 1st game I wondered why this guy keeps "nibbling" at the corners? It's like he's lost all confidence. I was begging for Lugo to come in for Diaz but Calloway stuck by him and it paid off. Hopefully that sign of support and getting the 3rd out will be the thing he needed to jump start his season.

• Upvote 1

The depth is taking hits but we are back to within range of wild card. Pitching has to carry us Mr regan thanks for helping some of these guys improve. Has to be someone down on the farm that can hit better than the former Philly scrub. for the outfield

Lugo has been sent by an angel.... with the disappointment of Familia and Diaz, he has been our rock. Watching Diaz in that 1st game I wondered why this guy keeps "nibbling" at the corners? It's like he's lost all confidence. I was begging for Lugo to come in for Diaz but Calloway stuck by him and it paid off. Hopefully that sign of support and getting the 3rd out will be the thing he needed to jump start his season.

Diaz is maddening. His stuff is electric but he's clearly in his head at this point. Anyway they just need to ride Lugo as much as possible but he can't do everything. Diaz is going to have to shake it off for this team to go anywhere.

If Joe Panik indeed becomes a FA, the Mets absolutely have to talk to him. He has to have something left more than any combination of Lagares, Guillorme, Hechevarria or Altherr. Although, I have to admit Guillorme impresses with the glove, and if he could just hit .240, that would be something.

The Mets need another LH bat, and Panil represents that, at the very least.

Lagares' at bats are dreadful to watch, He is a pop up machine.

With a series in KC, the Mets need another bat to at least fill the DH position.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So is Mickey Callaway good now or just "meh"?  Honest question.

Meh.  Give him credit for keeping the team together and focused, for sure.  But as exciting as this is, they're beating the dregs of the MLB right now.

I legit predicted this in thread a few weeks ago.  And he hasnt had to make any decisions.  They're mashing the ball and he's been getting great starting matched with comfortable leads.  It wont be so easy in the next coming series, at least I dont think. 

All that said, when both starting pitching and mashing come together, it's a tough to beat recipe.   So I'm a little more optimistic going into this stretch than I was when I posted...

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2