32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

23 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  3 in a row.  Just gotta win series at this point.

This is the kind of season that can be really special.  Low expectations, awful first half, and out of nowhere the team comes together and starts winning.  Rosario has developed into the player we all hoped he would be a couple of years ago, Conforto as really stepped it up since Break.  And what can you say about Alonso and his record breaking season.  ROY look and MVP candidate.  JD Davis just keeps hitting.  Add in McNeil and Nimmo who soth should be back soon, and that is a real nice young offensive core.

And while we have all been killing BVW for the Cano deal (and rightfully so) how about some credit for acquiring Davis from the Astros.  Who saw that one coming.  Great deal for the Mets.  We would not be in contention without Davis' bat.

Looking forward to a night or two at Citi field when I come in for JN outing in Sept.

The Cano injury hurt us.... he was just starting to produce consistently. That being said he has been a great influence on Rosario! Watching the game last night and seeing Cano & Rosie laughing and talking made me appreciate Cano despite the contract. Even Raji Davis was a nice veteran pickup.

McNeil will be back soon. Nimmo & Lowrie getting close..... maybe in time for the Braves series?

6 games vs. Braves; 6 games vs. Philly; 3 games vs. Nats. That's your WC right there if we dominate.

• Upvote 1

Great win last night.... this group has such a high confidence level in the late innings. New guy every night stepping up! Rosie again starts things off with a huge double in the gap, followed by a perfect sacrifice to move him to 3rd.  Everyone doing the little things!

Thor for the sweep tonight. He'll need to go deep tonight as we used up Lugo. Hoping Brach and Wilson can pitch tonight along with Diaz being available.

LFGM!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Cubs are not scary on the road either. They have the 4th fewest wins on the road in the NL.

6-3 on this home stand is attainable, and needed.

But, this is the Mets.

C.mon man! Time to leave the old SOMF history in the past. New day, new team, new attitudes!!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Holy crap what a catch by Davis. 

Got home late. Need to see a replay. Hoping game gets called soon and we get the easy W. THOR was dealing tonight. 75 pitches in 6 innings. Off speed was outstanding. Cubs and Nats keep beating the crap teams however. I guess @Lith didn’t root hard enough for Cubs loss

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

That's where I'm at, we may not eventually make the wild card because of the hole we dug before the All-Star break but they've sure made this as enjoyable of a season as a fan could ask for and ultimately, gives me a lot of hope for the future.  I thought we'd never catch the Braves from a talent perspective and while I think they're deeper/better...that gap isnt as big as it appeared. 

The Braves have a very deep talent pool while we have traded away most of our top tier talent. Whether our talent would ever made a significant impact in the majors is another question. With Davis, Alonso, Nimmo, Conforto, Smith and Rosie we should be solid for the next 2-3 years. BVW might want to consider locking up some of our young talent at a cheaper cost than waiting to FA.

Thor , Matz, Conforto might be a good idea. BVM needs to nail the next  few drafts to fill up the talent pool.

• Upvote 1

How BVW handles Thor contract, resigning Lugo to extension, flipping Familia & Diaz for some young players and drafting a stud catcher & 3rd baseman in the coming years will be the standards I will judge him by

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Doubt Thor gets extended. As a matter of fact, I think he may get traded this off-season.

-Familia is not getting traded for anything, other than a bag of balls. 

-Diaz will prove his worth next year. It looks like he is turning a corner. The stuff is electric.

-There are 2 highly rated 3B in the minors (Vientos and Baty (this year's first rounder)), They are both in the lower levels

-They have a 17 yr old catcher, that scouts are high on also. He also, is a ways away.

As Thor just showed he can dominate and has 4 pitches he can throw anywhere in the count. Why not have a top two of deGrom & Thor. Similar to Strasbourg and Sherzer, Cole and Verlander?

Thanks for the info on the minor leaguers.... hoping they progress quickly 

• Upvote 2

Gonna' be rooting for Cincinatti (vs. Philly & Arizona)a LOT over the next week as well as Atlanta (vs. Nats) and Milwaukee (vs. Cubs).

Mets need to sweep Philly this time! I only want to see Wilson and Lugo! Starters need to go 7 every outing until October!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Geezuz walk off BB by Alonso. 

This rookie is playing with such maturity! Was so impressed by his holding his swing. 

Diaz stuff is so electric... but he does not have the mind of a closer. I wonder if Mariano R. could be hired for a month to work with the guy?

stroman needs to finally put up 7 innings of 1 run ball. I’m tired of him not getting through the order the 2nd time around. 

JD Davis & Cano should be in the lineup every day. I didn’t like our lineup last night. I’d like

Davis-Conforto-McNeil

Frazier-Rosario-Cano-Alonso  

Nimmo is just not hitting enough to justify 3-4 at bats  

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Man what a disappointment Stroman has been. I expected him to be better coming to NL from tough AL east, he has been awful. 

Disappointment is an understatement! 2 young players traded away, nothing to show for it and his trade value is a bag of balls. 

Being a local kid, I can imagine that he feels terrible. Especially with Mats pitching well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Day two of locking Diaz and Familia in the clubhouse seems to be working. Keep it up, Mickey.

Lugo got the night off so he'll be ready to go 2 innings tonight for the save! 3 out of the final WC spot with 18 games to go & 4 teams ahead of us.

We need to play .750 plus ball and I'd say we need to go no worse that 14-4.

Exciting times! Alonso HR record... McNeill batting crown

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Yeah, but not as scary as this would have been:

Image result for edwin diaz

Wilson and Lugo rested and ready to go. Need them fresh down the stretch!

Save Diaz and Familia for the blowout, pressure free games. 

13-4 is the least possible denominator to pull out the WC

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Need to win 2 of 3 against Dodgers, I am not sure how good of a chance we have of doing that. Cubs have Pirates so easy games for them.

For heavens sake let Nido catch Thor tonight! We need this game.... having Thor's head right is needed to combat Kershaw's 7 innings of 2 run ball.

• Upvote 2

Regarding last nights game.... Stroman FINALLY!!  Everything was down in the zone or below. Gave up 4 BB but didn't cause him to cave to the batter. 10 /3 groung balls/ fly balls. Guy always has busy innings but I'll take him as our #5 started behind deGrom, Thor, Wheeler & Matz. Not a bad rotation.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NoBowles said:

F’ing Ramos starting tonight, sigh....

I don’t get why Mickey won’t let Nido catch Thor if that’s what the pitcher wants? Wonder how much it actually affects him?

• Upvote 1

Despite Mickey Mets pull out the win! Need Wheeler to step up and throw a gem tonight. Taking 2-3 will keep us in the hunt but we are running out of games

• Upvote 1

3-2 loss.... heart goes out to Wheeler. Pitched a great game and deserved the win. Sorry he will be gone next year. Wilson with the killer walk and Lugo mistake up 1-2 in the count. 

This years over but what an experience for these young players to be pennant ready next year. NL East will be a tough division next year.  BVW better be ready to draft multiple talent next draft. Maybe bring in Dombrowski as an advisor!

Who would you prefer to keep?

Wheeler or Thor

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If the Mets are smart they keep both and hire Girardi to be manager

Trade Diaz while he still has value

Diaz has negligible value right now. Keep him into next year and have Mariano come in to mentor the kid. 

I like the Girardi suggestion 

• Upvote 1

gryffindor GIF

Time to give the young guys some playing time.

• Upvote 1

Stroman making a strong showing these last two starts. Just what you want in Mile high Colorado.

Alonso 3 off from tying Judge! If Cubs and Brewers lose 3 out with 10 to play. LFGM!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 out of final WC spot along with Phillies..... An absolute miracle would need to happen but looking back on our crushing failures in years past....

Anything is possible. We are the Miracle Mets!!

Looking forward I an very optimistic concerning our future if we can keep the guys together. Conforto, Thor and Wheeler need to be decided on.

We need BVW to show he has the ability to evaluate talent like the Dodgers, Astros, Braves and Yankees.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

50 HR's for Alonso

wow

Probably will go to three more games this coming week, I'd love to see him get the rookie record

What an amazing and improbable season for Pete! Could any one of us ever imagined this type of rookie season? Add to that the arrival of Rosario after 3 years of hoping, McNeil’s growing stardom and the great promise JD and Lugo has shown. 

The future is looking bright if we can lock down a solid 4 starters behind deGrom. Find our future catcher and pray Nimmo can be our answer in CF and Conforto can learn to be more disciplined. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Lugo is once again expressing his desire to be a starter.

Very good chance he can be next season. With the departure of Wheeler (unless Fred actually opens his wallet) and Thor perhaps on the block next year, Lugo could slide into the 4th or 5th starter role.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Which is why the Stroman trade Or whatever his name is was asinine. As was the Cano trade. This GM is Macc like. Lugo is a fine 4th or 5th starter. Gromm, Matz, Wheeler, Lugo. Trade Stroman and Thor to get back some pieces. Not sure what Cano’s and Diaz Contract are but they've been an absolute waste and decimated the farm system. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Very good chance he can be next season. With the departure of Wheeler (unless Fred actually opens his wallet) and Thor perhaps on the block next year, Lugo could slide into the 4th or 5th starter role.

Great minds think a lot.

In defense of the Stroman trade, unlike the Cano, Diaz trade, the young talent were not highly rated league wide. Stroman is under control for 1 more year and is showing signs of righting the ship. 

Diaz may yet get back to where he was in Seattle.... dominant. Has electric stuff but needs greater mental strength/ killer instinct.

Gsellman will be ready for next season but Familia is a dog!! $30 mil contract throw up team america GIF

• Haha 2

Alonso at 51 dingers!! He will at least tie it if not surpass it. As long as pitchers don't pitch around him.

• Upvote 1

Think Girardi goes to the Cubs. Agree on Wheeler, get Syndergaard out of here ASAP.

Cardinals, Brewers vs. Braves, Nats and Phillies. Central seems to have an easier path to the division title over the Braves and Nats.

He also was born and raised in Illinois. Tough call.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Girardi would literally run to Citifield if the Wilpons offered him the Met job 

Management also is a BIG consideration for managers. You have BVW vs. Epstein...... Wilpons vs. Cubs ownership. Cheap vs. willing spenders. Excellent farm system vs. depleted system!

Those last 3 could push the needle Cubs way!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Cubs system is actually more depleted than the Mets. 

Cubs have to deal with Kris Bryant, who is a Scott Boras client. Good luck there.

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts said at the beginning of this season that they have no more money to spend.

Believe it or not, Cubs window is closing. 

I guess you are correct.

28. New York Mets (Last Year’s Rank: #23)

The Mets, led by new General Manager and former player agent Broddie Van Wagenen, have positioned themselves as – potential – contenders in 2019. And the franchise also has two top prospects ready to contribute along the way as well: Andres Gimenez looks like a young star and power-hitting first base Peter Alonso is a bonafide middle-of-the-lineup thumper. Third baseman Mark Vientos could crack the Top 100 list in a year. Left-handers David Peterson and Anthony Kay offer up some potential as #4-ish arms. It’s thin, so we’ll see how the club’s 2019 season goes. The system could get a boost with the return of Thomas Szapucki and Jordan Humphreys as well.

29. Chicago Cubs (Last Year’s Rank: #24)

They’ve officially bottomed out. Years of promoting big time talent and big time trades have left the Cubs’ system all but barren. Miguel Amaya could be the top catching prospect in a year. And Alex Lange looks like a Kyle Hendricks-type clone. Beyond that, though, are a lot of question marks. Can Brailyn Marquez throw enough strikes and/or develop his offspeed pitches? Will Nico Hoerner hit enough? Can Adbert Alzolay stay in the rotation? And will Cory Abbott succeed in Class AA?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

That was a pre-season ranking. Of course, the Mets traded Kay in the Strohman trade.

The Mets should move up the rankings at least slightly, due to their very positive 2019  draft (yes, BVW actually appears to have drafted well, and the emergence of some other prospects that developed.

The Mets still need to strengthen the system, and BVW needs to resist the urge to trade real prospects.

But in comparison to the Cubs, their system is better. I know our old friend Gato would try to spin it differently, but is is just not so.

Cubs have some work to do as they are getting older.

Let's hope so.... especially at the Catcher position. Ramos hits well enough and calls a good game (sans Thor) but his arm is below avg. 2020 last year of contract IIRC. Bullpen needs some more arms next year too!

Way to go LFGM! Pete Alonso!!

So optimistic for next year if Calaway can learn to make critical in game decisions, we resign Wheeler, get Diaz right and most importantly get Wilpons to open their wallet

• Upvote 1

3rd straight solid start for Stroman

Kept the ball down and away. Happy for our NY son. 

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to Pete Alonso!! 53rd homer of the season over 120 RBIs and over 100 runs scored. batting near .270 while also playing a decent first base. Could we Have asked for anything more?

• Upvote 2

Great end to the season.

10 games over .500. 

BVW is OTC. Don’t screw it up!

Hoping to see Astros vs. Dodgers 

• Upvote 1

I think Calloway will be back. This team was 11 games under .500 at the break, and played 21 games over the 2nd half. The reason they aren't playing this week is 2 guys Brodie brought in, Familia and Diaz, pure and simple. Brodie would show a heck of a lot of leadership if he took the hit and realized that Calloway did a pretty decent job when all is said and done. This off season will be interesting. This team seems to be on the verge of becoming pretty good, and could be in the mix for 5-6 years. Question #1...keep Noah or Wheeler?

I personally think Brody will put some feelers out on some of the big names out there. Guys like Gerardi and Madden. If they don’t seem too interested he sticks with Callaway. Of course this is all going to backfire when Geraldi and Madden‘s agent will leak it to the press so they can get their dream positions with the Cubs and Angels for Madden where he was a coach for years. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company