32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Oops, good catch SD. I remembered the Fregosi-Ryan trade, but drew a real blank with Foster.

Actually I'm being to kind to myself by saying I drew a blank. Now that I'm typing this, I remember what I did. Because I'm an idiot, I remembered he came from the Reds, but I mixed up Foster with the Seaver trade. aaagh, that's so bad on my part. Trying now to remember (without google, lol) who we got back then for Tom. I recall Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson, and a RP named George Frazier? I think I'm forgetting a guy though.

Pat Zachry (no google).

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

good job, yep, that's the guy.

Just curious, did you remember the other 3 also?

I remembered Flynn and Henderson.  The 4th guy was Dan Norman, not Frazier.  I remember Norman the player, but did not realize he came over in that deal/

13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This is becoming fun. 

Alonso Conforto Rosario hell even Panick is pitching in. 

Yup.  3 in a row.  Just gotta win series at this point.

This is the kind of season that can be really special.  Low expectations, awful first half, and out of nowhere the team comes together and starts winning.  Rosario has developed into the player we all hoped he would be a couple of years ago, Conforto as really stepped it up since the Break.  And what can you say about Alonso and his record breaking season.  ROY lock and MVP candidate.  JD Davis just keeps hitting.  Add in McNeil and Nimmo who both should be back soon, and that is a real nice young offensive core.

And while we have all been killing BVW for the Cano deal (and rightfully so) how about some credit for acquiring Davis from the Astros.  Who saw that one coming.  Great deal for the Mets.  We would not be in contention without Davis' bat.

Looking forward to a night or two at Citi field when I come in for JN outing in Sept.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if you saw this in the practice thread yesterday, but it is awesome.  Go to about 1:03 for the part relevant to this thread.

They have even won a So Cal kid over.

It is probably just the winning, but the whole vibe of this team is incredible right now.  Guys are having fun, they really seem to like playing together and in NY.  Fans are rallying around them.  It is awesome to see.  They have become can't miss entertainment this past month.

Day off work today, going to Wrigley this afternoon to root against the Cubs and then home to watch the Mets in the evening.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Not sold yet, as soon as I get sold they dick kick me. 

Not a question of being sold or not.  Just sit back, flip the games on, head out to Citi if you get the chance, and enjoy the ride.  Regardless of what the ultimate destination may be; enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 2

Frustrating game last night.  All those missed opportunities.  It was setting up so well.  Diaz get out of trouble.  Swarzak, the guy we traded for him loads the bases and we can't take advantage.  Really thought Diaz would get the "W" and Swarzak the "L". 

I guess Familia never got the memo that we are supposed to be good now.

Flew in this weekend for Max's outing.  Headed out to the game last night -- first trip to Citi Field since the Series a few years ago.  Sparse crowd because of the weather, but a spirited crowd anyway.

I would have been more comfortable heading into the 9th tied rather than with the lead. The 2 run HR was almost inevitable; seemed like we all expected it.  I don't understand how MIckey keeps sending Diaz out there in big spots with games on the line.  Games this team can't afford to lose.  Beginning to wonder if BVW is not behind it somehow, made the big trade for a closer and now Diaz has to be the closer.

Anyway, was great to come away with the win, but it would have been nice iwth a little less drama.

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That ninth inning was scary. 

Yeah, but not as scary as this would have been:

Image result for edwin diaz

• Haha 1

So, we jumped Arizona in the standings last night.  Moved into tie with Philly.  2 behind Chicago and Milwaukee who are tied for the last wild card spot with 17 to play.  Still don't think they make it, but love the fight this team has.  I have given up on them 2 or 3 times this year, but they have never given up on themselves.

#LFGM!!!

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2019 at 6:44 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Even you're not so positive .

tenor.gif

Was going to post this gif after today's game, but I knew it already had to be in the thread.  Did not have to go back that far to find it. 

Now, we will see what happens against the Dodgers this weekend.  But I am back in.

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What an amazing and improbable season for Pete! Could any one of us ever imagined this type of rookie season? Add to that the arrival of Rosario after 3 years of hoping, McNeil’s growing stardom and the great promise JD and Lugo has shown. 

The future is looking bright if we can lock down a solid 4 starters behind deGrom. Find our future catcher and pray Nimmo can be our answer in CF and Conforto can learn to be more disciplined. 

Future is bright if we can figure out the bullpen.  Probably cost us at least 6-8 games in the standings this season.  8-0 lead, heading into the bottom of the 9th last night and I was legitately nervous that it would not be enough for Familia.  Figure out the bullpen and maybe we can content with the Braves for the Division next season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Mickey is gone per Mets twitter!

Yup.

Got to give MIckey credit for keeping the team together and the fight they showed all year, but between h is handling of pitchers, which was supposed to be his strength, nad game management, its hard to be surprised.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

Can we get a clue? I recognize the name, what year did he play for the Mets?

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Involved in a trade.

A really bad one.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This trade was really a knee jerk reaction by the organization trying to fill in a hole that was 3rd base. The Mets had NEVER had a 3b in their history, and Fregosi had been name to probably 5 or 6 all star teams in the AL before coming over to the Mets.  He never did anything in a couple of seasons with the Mets.

3B was still a hole for the organization until really, Hubie Brooks, and then David Wright. The dearth of position players that this organization has produced, with some notable exceptions, is amazing.

Adding insult to injury, a year or two before the Fregosi - Ryan trade, they acquired Joe Foy from the Royals to play 3rd base.  He lasted one season.  To acquire him we sent Amos Otis to the Royals.  Who only went on to be a 5 time All Star in KC.  

Just imagine that 1973 team that was one game away from winning the Series with Otis in Center Field instead of Don Hahn and 42 year old Willie Mays.  And Ryan in a rotation with Seaver, Koosman and Matlack.  Might have been enough to take one extra game from the A's that season.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I was the rare young fan who liked Koosman more than Seaver. He was my favorite Met. Don't get me wrong, I realized Seaver was the better pitcher, I just liked Koosman more.

Weird how you choose favorites... Shamsky and Swoboda were two others. I really liked. I also tried to convince myself Grote was a better C than Johnny Bench, lol.

You were not the only one.  I have always been a fan of the number 2 guy.  Maynard was my favortite Jet; not Namath.  And Koosman instead of Seaver.  No question that Seaver was the better player, and I knew that then, but for some reason, I always liked Koosman a bit better.

• Upvote 2

Anyone interested, games 5 & 6 of 86 NLCS are on MLB Network today. 

I would rather be watching live baseball, but 10 hours of classic Mets baseball is not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Getting ready for top of the 9th!!

Good times! Was living in MA at the time... drove all those Red Sox fans to tears

Watched game 5 this afternoon.  Couldn't subject the wife to 10 straight hours of baseball from the 80s.  Recorded game 6 and will watch it tomorrow.

Hard to believe that was nearly 35 years ago.  I was living in Forest HIlls just across from Flushing Meadow park.  A few minutes from Shea.  Can't tell you how many times my roommate and I would be sitting around with nohting to do and head over to catch a game.  It was either $3 or $6 for general admission seats in the upper deck.  Spent a lot of time up there in 85 & 86.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The kid was slotted in that area of the draft, so not sure why they would necessarily pay less. 

Plus defense, plus speed and a good batting eye. If he can be a top of the order guy, that can steal 30 bases, hit .285 and play gold glove defense, I will gladly take it. Then again, you are dealing with an 18 year old kid, so who knows how he will turn out? Mets 1st rounders have been better than average in the mlb over the last 10 years though.

Pretty much the way I feel.  Admittedly I know nothing about the kid other than what I have read about him since last night, but we have not had this kind of player in CF or at the top of our lineup for years.  Comps given on mlb network were Darrin Erstad/Brett Gardner type of player.  If he gives us defense in CF, speed at the top of the lineup, gets on base and develops a bit of pop as he gets older, nothing wrong with this pick in ths slot.

Also agree that as an 18-year old kid, who knows how he will develop and when/if he will be a starter for us.

• Upvote 1

My two cents.  There are plenty of good, knowledgeable and passionate fans who are die hard supporters of each team.  But in the case of the Yankees, the casual fans who jump on a winners bandwagon dilute the good fans.  If you are a Met fan, its not winning that attrcated you to the team.  For me, as a kid growing up on LI, the first game I went to live was the Mets at Shea in probably 66 or 67.  They became my team and I have stuck with them throughout the highs and lows.  I think most other Met fans are that way.  We are not bandwagoners.

Only experience I had with bandwagon Mets fan was in 2015.  We had a core group of about 10-12 displaced NYers living in the Chicago area.  We would meet up at Wrigley or Miller Park when the Mets were in town.  Get together a few times a year, take over a couple of tables at a bar to watch the Mets.  Then 2015 came.  Instead of 10-12 folks, we packed an entire bar with Met fans.  100 or more of us getting together for games.  A couple of news crews even showed up at our Mets bar during the playoffs.  It was a lot of fun, but as of last seasosn, we were back to our core group of 10-12 people meeting up for games.  The bandwagoners of 2015 are gone.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Not sure they got the results back, but he's listed as day to day.

Per Newsday, they got the results back and nothing to be concerned about.  

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jacob-degrom-back-mri-1.46904133

An MRI on Wednesday “didn’t show anything concerning” to the Mets, a source said, one day after their ace pitched only one inning because of back tightness.

Manager Luis Rojas described deGrom as day-to-day and said it was too early to know whether this would affect his availability for Opening Day, which is July 24.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Diaz still having problems. JD in mid-season form. 

I thought Diaz was ok.  Victimized by bad defense.  He got a grounder to 2nd that Guillorme booted and a pop up to right that Parker got a bad jump on.  Defense makes plays and he gets the Yanks in order in the 9th.  It was the guys who came after him that got hit hard.

I was more concerned by what I saw out of Porcello.  UP in the zone, didn't seem to be fooling anyone, hard hit balls all night.  He was lucky to only give up 3.  Porcello and the defense were the most concerning things I saw last night.  Just one game, and it didn't count in the standings.  And at least we got a chance to watch the Mets last night.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Didn't get a chance to watch.....how did the Mets look hitting? Any standouts?

Bats were pretty quiet most of the night.  Alonzo had two hits, drove in a run, but neither ball was hit hard.  Conforto and Davis probably had the hardest hit balls of the night.  Both went for doubles.  Rosario hit a triple in the 9th.  Scored on a base hit by Nunez.

Other than that, pretty quiet night for the offense.  Aside from the offense, defense and pitching it was a good night.  At least it didn't count.

• Haha 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

or Shea in '79

Had to close the Upper Deck for many games all the way through 1984 (thanks Mr. Grant) but the good news is that GA was a section or two in the Mezz reserve behind 1st and 3rd, and even then it was only a few people. 

Remember that well.  Think it was $6 bucks for a GA seat in the mezzanine.  No deals like that today.  Lived in Forest Hiils in the early to mid 80s.  My buddy and I would just head over to Shea after work all the time and catch a game for a few bucks.  Still kept going as much in 86, but had to spend a bit more on tix.

3 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

So anyone watching tonights game?

Weird with G, K & R broadcasting from CitiField from monitors of the YES feed. They are going to do that for all road games this year. 

They are using a video game from the sound crowds piped over the system (The Show?) and it sounds so phoney as to be laughable.

meanwhile both these games seem like the 4th NFL preseason game

Yup.  I am watching.  I really hope we don't need Oswalt as 5th starter if deGrom is not ready to go.  Tough watching him tonight, and I don't remember him ever having a strong outing over the last few seasons.

And our defense better be better than it has been these two games.  At least the games don't count.  Yet.  Cause there has been some ugly baseball these two nights.

But at least it is baseball,

• Upvote 1

Gsellman also on the IL with triceps tightness.  So, who is our 5th starter?  Walker Lockett? Corey Oswalt?  Someone not on team yet?

Put it in the books.

1-0 win.

1-0 record.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

Mets win

On track for a 60-0 season, still not as many win as as the '67 club though

Diaz with a save. Slider was working but he did give up two long fouls

Best part about baseball is there is another game tomorrow

Adams foul got me nervous.  He might benefit from no fans in the seats, at least when the games are at Citi.

• Upvote 2

Yoenis Cespedes has now homered in 3 straight games.  It took him over 800 days to do it. 

Per ESPN stats.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not saying that Diaz is fixed, but the slider had snap yesterday. And the tail on the 3-2 pitch to Freeman to freeze him on the outside corner was a thing of beauty.

Interesting that the Mets immediately switched to Justin Wilson, rather than Betances after the Mets took the lead.

After a season (and a game) I still have no idea what to make of Diaz.  His stuff is electric.  96+ fastball, tight breaking slider.  He looks unhittable at times.  But he seems to make that one bad pitch that always comes back to bite him.  I can see how he was so dominant in Seattle a couple of years ago. 

Maybe it is a good sign that last night, the mistakes were foul balls, last year, they leave the park.  We need 2018 Diaz this season.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Since the Nats are in the same division as the Mets, and I'm the only Nats Fan on JN, and what happens to us effects you all, I'm going to post about the Nats in this thread.

My thoughts today:

Dear God, we finally won a game...

That is all. 😄

Welcome to our thread.  Was watching the Nats while working out this afternoon.  Kind of strange watching them as a road team in their home park, but then again, a lot about 2020 is strange.  

On a side note, seem like every time that I watch Asdrubal Cabrera play since the Mets traded him, he hits.  Another RBI double this afternoon.  

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company