2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Luis Rojas. Remember the name. He's very highly thought of within the Mets organization.

BTW for you old timers, he's Felipe Alou's son.

Felipe was a heck of a manager for the Expos. I've heard good stuff about Luis, but I just can't see the Mets not going with a veteran guy.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Felipe was a heck of a manager for the Expos. I've heard good stuff about Luis, but I just can't see the Mets not going with a veteran guy.

Yeah, I agree, you'd think with a core as promising as the Mets have, they would want the veteran-type guy. Especially since they just fired a "first timer".

Here's the problem with that. If you think/hope like I do that Thor isn't going to be traded, and they are going to try to keep Wheeler, AND upgrade the bullpen, they will have to spend quite a bit of money this offseason.

The story going around is that the Wilpons include the managers salary as part of the team's payroll, along with the debt owed on Citi Field. If that's the case, I don't see them spending big money on a manager. I also have a feeling BVW really doesn't want another strong voice in the room. I'd love to see a Girardi or Geren type get the job, but I'd be surprised if that ends up being the case. 

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, I agree, you'd think with a core as promising as the Mets have, they would want the veteran-type guy. Especially since they just fired a "first timer".

Here's the problem with that. If you think/hope like I do that Thor isn't going to be traded, and they are going to try to keep Wheeler, AND upgrade the bullpen, they will have to spend quite a bit of money this offseason.

The story going around is that the Wilpons include the managers salary as part of the team's payroll, along with the debt owed on Citi Field. If that's the case, I don't see them spending big money on a manager. I also have a feeling BVW really doesn't want another strong voice in the room. I'd love to see a Girardi or Geren type get the job, but I'd be surprised if that ends up being the case. 

Good points. Isn't this the typical Mets Catch 22? A year where there are 5-6 really good, proven guys that have won, and are available, but the Mets are afraid of them?

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2019 at 7:15 AM, Philc1 said:

If the Mets don’t hire Girardi, which they won’t, you guys should hire David Cone he will make a good manager

Im not against Cone at all.  I know he wants to become a manager because he stated it on MLB tonight or something when he was doing an instructional piece on mechanics.  With that being said there is no way they will go with someone who doesnt have experience.  BVW said both Thor and Diaz will not be traded and they have control of a few pitchers for next year.  There will be an experienced manager and they will go for broke next year.  

I can tell you one thing, nobody, and I mean NOBODY wanted our Mets to make the playoffs.  They were too damn good in the 2nd half.  The first half was abysmal and they paid for it in the long run.  Could you imagine that lineup if Cespedes and Lowery were in there?  Im more of a youth guy (and they have plenty of good youth) but damn, that would be a scary lineup.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Im not against Cone at all.  I know he wants to become a manager because he stated it on MLB tonight or something when he was doing an instructional piece on mechanics.  With that being said there is no way they will go with someone who doesnt have experience.  BVW said both Thor and Diaz will not be traded and they have control of a few pitchers for next year.  There will be an experienced manager and they will go for broke next year.  

I can tell you one thing, nobody, and I mean NOBODY wanted our Mets to make the playoffs.  They were too damn good in the 2nd half.  The first half was abysmal and they paid for it in the long run.  Could you imagine that lineup if Cespedes and Lowery were in there?  Im more of a youth guy (and they have plenty of good youth) but damn, that would be a scary lineup.

JMD........Where would you put Cespedes & Lowery if they return  healthy next year?

Bench Davis for YC ? No way !  Lowery over Cano ........No way

We can't even find playing time for Dom Smith next year...... he was stroking before the injury but Alonso cannot be replaced.

We will have a VERY deep bench next year in case of injuries. We can make a run!!

On 10/11/2019 at 1:20 PM, 32EBoozer said:

JMD........Where would you put Cespedes & Lowery if they return  healthy next year?

Bench Davis for YC ? No way !  Lowery over Cano ........No way

We can't even find playing time for Dom Smith next year...... he was stroking before the injury but Alonso cannot be replaced.

We will have a VERY deep bench next year in case of injuries. We can make a run!!

Keep dreaming, the Mets need to cut payroll, lookout for some very unappetizing trades

Always sad when the last ballgame has ended and you realize that it is 4 months until even Port St. Lucie games start. I saved the Dom Smith HR on DVR to end the season and we watched it again last night.  Great moment that still holds up.

Usually there are the Jets to cover some of the baseball void period but not this year, C'est la vie. 

Only 147 days until opening day, at home against the world champs. 

Side note, the Astros and Nats share a spring training ballpark (nice park, way overpriced). Will Houston have to see some sort of reminder every time they play a ST home game? 

16 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Always sad when the last ballgame has ended and you realize that it is 4 months until even Port St. Lucie games start. I saved the Dom Smith HR on DVR to end the season and we watched it again last night.  Great moment that still holds up.

Usually there are the Jets to cover some of the baseball void period but not this year, C'est la vie. 

Side note, the Astros and Nats share a spring training ballpark (nice park, way overpriced). Will Houston have to see some sort of reminder every time they play a ST home game? 

Wait till the Nats sign Cole.?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, I guess it is Carlos Beltran.

If this is the hill that Brody chooses to battle on, so be it. he has earned the right to hire his guy. Once.

Will be interesting to watch

If he can get Diaz' head on straight, it will be genius. I just think Brodie is a tool. Have no faith.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

If he can get Diaz' head on straight, it will be genius. I just think Brodie is a tool. Have no faith.

I will allow it the time of observation before making a firm opinion. The initial optrics are not great though.

Was surprised that Beltran turned down both the Cubs and Padres to interview. Must have thought he had this in the bag.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will allow it the time of observation before making a firm opinion. The initial optrics are not great though.

Was surprised that Beltran turned down both the Cubs and Padres to interview. Must have thought he had this in the bag.

Sounds like he really wanted to manage the Mets, which is great. I guess they are banking huge on his ability to get the players to respect/listen to him. Supposedly the Astro's players, to a man, loved him. Whomever the manager was going to be, Brodie has to have a much better off season. This team is really close.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sounds like he really wanted to manage the Mets, which is great. I guess they are banking huge on his ability to get the players to respect/listen to him. Supposedly the Astro's players, to a man, loved him. Whomever the manager was going to be, Brodie has to have a much better off season. This team is really close.

A big tell is whether they choose to tender Wheeler (I would suspect he will not accept it), and then who they replace him with. 

If they do not even tender him, then it is storm the gates with pitchforks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

A big tell is whether they choose to tender Wheeler (I would suspect he will not accept it), and then who they replace him with. 

If they do not even tender him, then it is storm the gates with pitchforks.

That would protect them as far as a pick, right?  Also, what is up with Cespedes? Is this his last year on his deal?

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

That would protect them as far as a pick, right?  Also, what is up with Cespedes? Is this his last year on his deal?

Yes, depending on what team would sign Wheeler, they would either get a 1st or 2nd round pick from that team.

Cespedes is under contract for one more year (sigh). No one seems to know what shape he currently is. The majority of his contract is insured.

On BVW, I  (and many experts) really did like his draft last year. The first 3 players all seem to be real prospects (very early of course).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes, depending on what team would sign Wheeler, they would either get a 1st or 2nd round pick from that team.

Cespedes is under contract for one more year (sigh). No one seems to know what shape he currently is. The majority of his contract is insured.

On BVW, I  (and many experts) really did like his draft last year. The first 3 players all seem to be real prospects (very early of course).

Agree 100% on the draft....lots of people said we got the best hitter and 2 best pitchers.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, I guess it is Carlos Beltran.

If this is the hill that Brody chooses to battle on, so be it. he has earned the right to hire his guy. Once.

Will be interesting to watch

Would have been nice to see someone who had previous experience as a winner (like Corporate America does, or at least used to) but I'll give Carlos a pass for now.

Agree that it will be interesting to watch

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I'm with you here. The last day of the season is always a sad one.

I'm already looking forward to Pitchers and Catchers...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 11/1/2019 at 8:30 PM, The Crimson King said:

Would have been nice to see someone who had previous experience as a winner (like Corporate America does, or at least used to) but I'll give Carlos a pass for now.

Agree that it will be interesting to watch

Boone worked out well with the Yanks.

Beltran played in NY for years.   He understands the city, understands the team.   He is well respected, rumors were the Yanks looked at him 2 years ago.   I really do think he could be an excellent hire for you guys.

I'm sorry, I don't love Girardi.  Dude gets tight in tight games.