2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm happy that Starling Marte got traded to a team other than the Mets.  I was convinced all offseason that we were going to overpay for him.

Exactly. 

Leave Nimmo in CF. Younger, cheaper better player who will hopefully keep improving.

• Upvote 3

GMs know that Brodie is a mark and they try to take advantage.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/why-didnt-mets-trade-for-pirates-starling-marte-snys-andy-martino-explains/312568648

Although the Diamondbacks reportedly traded only INF Liover Peguero and RHP Brennan Malone -- Arizona's Nos. 18 and 8 overall prospects, according to MLB Pipeline -- the Pirates apparently wanted more from the Mets for Marte.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

GMs know that Brodie is a mark and they try to take advantage.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/why-didnt-mets-trade-for-pirates-starling-marte-snys-andy-martino-explains/312568648

Although the Diamondbacks reportedly traded only INF Liover Peguero and RHP Brennan Malone -- Arizona's Nos. 18 and 8 overall prospects, according to MLB Pipeline -- the Pirates apparently wanted more from the Mets for Marte.

Peguero and Malone (#1 pick last year) are good prospects but with no more than rookie league experience, I think that the Bucs made an ill advised trade. Only time will tell

Meanwhile, the Mets have some good ones that should be untouchable unless it's a trade deadline deal for a super star when in a legitimate pennant race. Mauricio, Matt Allan (remember THAT name), Giminez, the catcher Alvarez are all keepers. It's going to be painful enough seeing Kelenic in the all-star game, let's not add to that mistake Brodie. 

Also Nimmo or JD for a 31 yr old Marte might not have worked out either. 

Besides, the Pirates should have given the Mets Marte straight up for Walker Lockett to make up for the Don Bosch deal. They still owe us :)

meanwhile, no one wants Dom Smith? Mets just got Matt Adams for the bench so he is superfluous. 

Is it opening day yet?

• 2 weeks later...

P – in (11):

deGrom, Syndergaard, Porcello, Stroman, Matz, Wacha, Diaz, Lugo, Betances, Familia, Wilson

P - ? (12): Brach, Sewald, Gsellman, Bashlor, Zamora, Rumbelew, Gonsalves, Lockett, Y.Ramirez, E.Ramirez, Oswalt, Wahlen (forget anyone?)

Only two of the above group so I say Gsellman and Brach. Syracuse is going to have a pretty good AAA staff

Batters – in (10)

Ramos, Alonso, Cano, Rosario, Davis, NcNeil, Conforto, Nimmo, Cespedes, Marisnick,

Batters - ? (8)

Rivera, Nido, Smith, Adams, Lowrie, Nunez, Guillorme, Cordell (missing anyone?)

So only three spots …

1 of Smith or Adams (Adams out if they can’t trade Dom)

1 of Nido or Rivera (Nido for D?)

1 of Nunez, Guillorme or Lowrie (I like Nunez of that group, they should just take Lowrie out behind the barn and put him out of his misery)

Looking at this, I think that this could be a good year

13 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

P – in (11):

deGrom, Syndergaard, Porcello, Stroman, Matz, Wacha, Diaz, Lugo, Betances, Familia, Wilson

P - ? (12): Brach, Sewald, Gsellman, Bashlor, Zamora, Rumbelew, Gonsalves, Lockett, Y.Ramirez, E.Ramirez, Oswalt, Wahlen (forget anyone?)

Only two of the above group so I say Gsellman and Brach. Syracuse is going to have a pretty good AAA staff

Batters – in (10)

Ramos, Alonso, Cano, Rosario, Davis, NcNeil, Conforto, Nimmo, Cespedes, Marisnick,

Batters - ? (8)

So only three spots …

1 of Nunez, Guillorme or Lowrie (I like Nunez of that group, they should just take Lowrie out behind the barn and put him out of his misery)

Lowrie??? LOL Take his name off your list. He's walking around with a huge brace on his leg.  This guy is going to miss two seasons with an injury that's never been diagnosed. Can't make it up...

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Lowrie??? LOL Take his name off your list. He's walking around with a huge brace on his leg.  This guy is going to miss two seasons with an injury that's never been diagnosed. Can't make it up...

Imagine if by some miracle he was able to play? Where the heck would they put him? 

BTW: Getting psyched here. LGM !

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

P – in (11):

Batters – in (10)

Batters - ? (8)

So only three spots …

Dom, Brach and Gsellman are the top 3 in that list (not necessarily that order among the relievers.  That’s aways year-to-year)

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Dom, Brach and Gsellman are the top 3 in that list (not necessarily that order among the relievers.  That’s aways year-to-year)

3 open spots for the pen and 3 for the bench right? (26 man roster this year?)

I would like to see Dom stay for a number of reasons, attitude, clubhouse, PH, depth in case of injury, etc.

May be worth getting a partial plan this year to insure some post season tix

14 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

3 open spots for the pen and 3 for the bench right? (26 man roster this year?)

I would like to see Dom stay for a number of reasons, attitude, clubhouse, PH, depth in case of injury, etc.

May be worth getting a partial plan this year to insure some post season tix

What do you think of Nimmo? I like him, but am not 100% sold on him. Seems like he is incredibly liked in MLB team circles. Have a friend who has been a Cardinal area scout for years( busts my balls all the time asking me if I want to try on his World Series rings) and he told me last year that in the Cano trade, Mariners wanted either Kalenick or Nimmo. Mets supposedly love him.

10 hours ago, section314 said:

What do you think of Nimmo? I like him, but am not 100% sold on him. Seems like he is incredibly liked in MLB team circles. Have a friend who has been a Cardinal area scout for years( busts my balls all the time asking me if I want to try on his World Series rings) and he told me last year that in the Cano trade, Mariners wanted either Kalenick or Nimmo. Mets supposedly love him.

I would’ve rather given up Nimmo. We are desperate for a CF. Nimmo has real good “new number” but like you I am not sold on him and we are way over stocked on corner outfielders 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, section314 said:

6 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I would’ve rather given up Nimmo. We are desperate for a CF. Nimmo has real good “new number” but like you I am not sold on him and we are way over stocked on corner outfielders 

Nimmo is an analytic Star. He’s above average in CF, and a big plus offensively.

If you go by the metrics, he’s a good guy to have in the lineup, he really is.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, section314 said:

I like him. Still think he has a chance to be a star (much better than we've seen). In fact, the Mets need for both him and Conforto to step up itheor games this year

?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nimmo is an analytic Star. He’s above average in CF, and a big plus offensively.

I get the analytic thing, I do. But defensively above average is very generous rating for him. Adequate seems more appropriate and for a team that is basically built on pitching we should be above avg up the middle all the way thru. But just like McCagnens jets the team was built the wrong way. We are defensively weak up the middle. 
Cano, Rosario, Ramos, Nimmo. Not really one that you can say is a real good fielder. With the exception of Rosario probably not one that is even above avg

But by the time kelenic was ready the met team would look different anyway so I get it. The real horror of that trade was bringing back Cano and his salary when we had a 2b already 

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I know. I saw a list after the 2018 season, which was really his breakout year, and he was like 7th or so on a list of the top 10 most productive guys. I had to read it 3 times!  I guess just let him lead off and leave him alone.

I think we all realize we're in a very tough division. None of us would really be that surprised if either the Braves, Mets, Phils or Nats win it this year, and another one of them gets a WC.

Why I'm optimistic about the Mets? I love our lineup, and our starting pitching. The bench is solid. I'd like better option at backup catcher, but every team has a need somewhere, and lets be honest, if that's our biggest need, we're in good shape.

What tempers my optimism? Our bullpen is what kept us from making the playoffs last year. Diaz and Familia absolutely killed us. They're both back again this year with Jeurys seeming to be the 7th inning guy, and Diaz the closer or 8th. Wherever you put them in, they've got to somehow turn it around. To be honest I could see one of them (Familia) bouncing back a bit, but after watching Diaz implode night after night last year, I just don't see it happening for him. The problem with him is the worst one I think a pitcher can have. Incredible stuff, which gives him and his catcher all the confidence in the world he can make anyone miss, but then there is the infuriating "meatball" he slips in at least once an inning that goes about 420 feet. I just don't see him reverting back to 2018, but hopefully he's a lot better then he was last year. It would be hard to be worse...

I see this team winning 90-92 games if one of those two improve. If they don't, I could see us in 4th with about 79, maybe a couple more wins. That's how important I think they are.

• Upvote 2

On 2/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, 14 in Green said:

To me, he also passes the eye test.  I remember when he came back from injury last year and he seemed to really help the lineup.  Having a long AB where you end up getting on base has to be frustrating for the opposing pitcher.  Glad we have a guy like him in the lineup.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To me, he also passes the eye test.  I remember when he came back from injury last year and he seemed to really help the lineup.  Having a long AB where you end up getting on base has to be frustrating for the opposing pitcher.  Glad we have a guy like him in the lineup.

He just needs to not fall in love with the long ball. Get on base, spray the ball to all fields and move runners. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

He just needs to not fall in love with the long ball. Get on base, spray the ball to all fields and move runners. 

They say Cespedes is talking again, but I'm not so sure. I've called him a few times, and left a message, but he hasn't returned the call. Has he talked to you??

On 2/24/2020 at 10:45 AM, 14 in Green said:

I think we all realize we're in a very tough division. None of us would really be that surprised if either the Braves, Mets, Phils or Nats win it this year, and another one of them gets a WC.

Why I'm optimistic about the Mets? I love our lineup, and our starting pitching. The bench is solid. I'd like better option at backup catcher, but every team has a need somewhere, and lets be honest, if that's our biggest need, we're in good shape.

What tempers my optimism? Our bullpen is what kept us from making the playoffs last year. Diaz and Familia absolutely killed us. They're both back again this year with Jeurys seeming to be the 7th inning guy, and Diaz the closer or 8th. Wherever you put them in, they've got to somehow turn it around. To be honest I could see one of them (Familia) bouncing back a bit, but after watching Diaz implode night after night last year, I just don't see it happening for him. The problem with him is the worst one I think a pitcher can have. Incredible stuff, which gives him and his catcher all the confidence in the world he can make anyone miss, but then there is the infuriating "meatball" he slips in at least once an inning that goes about 420 feet. I just don't see him reverting back to 2018, but hopefully he's a lot better then he was last year. It would be hard to be worse...

I see this team winning 90-92 games if one of those two improve. If they don't, I could see us in 4th with about 79, maybe a couple more wins. That's how important I think they are.

Diaz and Familia were both brutal. Problem was the manager kept putting them out there way too late into the season before making changes. Hopefully this year they are both put on short leashes and benched if they don’t produce. We can’t afford to lose games we should win. Watching them both meltdown and give games away was painfully excruciating. Deport them both to AAA if they struggle again. We have enough depth now in the bullpen to get to Betances to close out games. 

6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Diaz and Familia were both brutal. Problem was the manager kept putting them out there way too late into the season before making changes. Hopefully this year they are both put on short leashes and benched if they don’t produce. We can’t afford to lose games we should win. Watching them both meltdown and give games away was painfully excruciating. Deport them both to AAA if they struggle again. We have enough depth now in the bullpen to get to Betances to close out games. 

Would never set foot on the mound again for the Mets if I had a say.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Would never set foot on the mound again for the Mets if I had a say.

Familia not only LOST his starting role as a closer but was brought back and resigned for 10M per year AFTER a DV incident. ??‍♂️