32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

5 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Buck Showalter ; old time blood and guts

Meh.

Girardi for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Don't forget about Mike Methaney.

Soscia and Boechi might be candidates as well. A lot of job availability 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Im not against Cone at all.  I know he wants to become a manager because he stated it on MLB tonight or something when he was doing an instructional piece on mechanics.  With that being said there is no way they will go with someone who doesnt have experience.  BVW said both Thor and Diaz will not be traded and they have control of a few pitchers for next year.  There will be an experienced manager and they will go for broke next year.  

I can tell you one thing, nobody, and I mean NOBODY wanted our Mets to make the playoffs.  They were too damn good in the 2nd half.  The first half was abysmal and they paid for it in the long run.  Could you imagine that lineup if Cespedes and Lowery were in there?  Im more of a youth guy (and they have plenty of good youth) but damn, that would be a scary lineup.

JMD........Where would you put Cespedes & Lowery if they return  healthy next year?

Bench Davis for YC ? No way !  Lowery over Cano ........No way

We can't even find playing time for Dom Smith next year...... he was stroking before the injury but Alonso cannot be replaced.

We will have a VERY deep bench next year in case of injuries. We can make a run!!

7 hours ago, deucebag said:

Keep dreaming, the Mets need to cut payroll, lookout for some very unappetizing trades

I actually think payroll gets bumped up 10%. After the Madoff greed scheme and subsequent penalties, Wilpons must be back on their feet in this market

On 11/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Now that Beltran is the manager, are the Mets going to bring back this jersey ?

s-l1600.jpg

hang on waiting GIF by El PresidenteEl Presidente

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, chirorob said:

100 million dollars for a guy with 44 career wins, who has never thrown 200 innings in a season, never had an era of 3.2 or lower, and is 6 career games over 500.

Then, listen to the players complain that there is collusion, and they aren't getting paid enough.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, section314 said:

Agreed. Imagine if he was a lefty?😁

He'll sign for closer to $125m. Familia got 3 yr/$30m..... go figure!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

MERRY EFFIN XMAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mets, reliever Dellin Betances agree to one-year deal

per ESPN

1 yr $10.5 m plus player option in ‘21

Good move by BVW

3 hours ago, section314 said:

You think Lugo will open as the closer?  I could see something like Diaz(7th) Betances(8th) Lugo (9th), but a heavy dose of Wilson sprinkled in as situation dictates. Personally, I hope Familia never sets foot on the field as a Met again.

If Porcello and Wacha fail to deliver I’d put Lugo in 5th starter role. He wants to start.... if the pen shows promise I could see Lugo getting 8-10 wins as the number 5

• Upvote 2

Can't wait to see which vehicle he arrives in this time!

Image result for cespedes cars spring training

After losing $23 million it will look like this 

image.jpeg.bf115588499ca5ad979adbcfacaa0d57.jpeg

• Haha 3

Thor & Mets reach agreement on 2020 arbitration for $9.7 mil. Let's get the season going. 

Thor has a lot to prove this season after last years disaster. You want the big money.... step up in big situations.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You need to start a new, 2020 version of this thread, 32.

How about an upgrade for now? When the new season begins we can start a new thread.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Noah - Tommy John

That absolutely sucks!! I was expecting a bounce back season from him. Glad we have some depth in the SR. We have a lock down #1 and a few question marks. 
Stroman needs to keep the ball down and bring the velocity up. Katz needs to finally get over thru the 5th inning. 
Offense better put 6 runs a game up for 3-5 starters. Cespedes, Cano, Alonso, Conforto better be in the zone. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Is Stroman capable of bringing the velocity up?

Pitchers through strength and conditioning have been known to add a mile or two. This is especially true after Tommy John surgery. Imagine what Thor will be at in 18 months.... not that it helps us any.

6 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

By the way , Mets win Game 6 .

Watching it now. Came on to post but you beat me. Top of the 9th starting now! Hope they skip to the 16th inning afterwards 

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Anyone interested, games 5 & 6 of 86 NLCS are on MLB Network today. 

I would rather be watching live baseball, but 10 hours of classic Mets baseball is not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

Getting ready for top of the 9th!!

Good times! Was living in MA at the time... drove all those Red Sox fans to tears

• Like 1

Amazing how far Dykstra has fallen!!

🤨

Yogi in the Astros dugout! Lol

McDowell & Orosco.... I loved that righty/lefty duo. Great game... lots of memories. Carter, Hernandez, Tuffel, Knight, Mookie, Wally and Lenny, Maz, Mitchell, Gooden , Straw, Ojeida, Davie, Mel, Darling, Fernandez......................,,

What a great group of characters with great no quit attitudes. Don’t think I’ll love a team more than them, and I was around for ‘69. 

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Watched game 5 this afternoon.  Couldn't subject the wife to 10 straight hours of baseball from the 80s.  Recorded game 6 and will watch it tomorrow.

Hard to believe that was nearly 35 years ago.  I was living in Forest HIlls just across from Flushing Meadow park.  A few minutes from Shea.  Can't tell you how many times my roommate and I would be sitting around with nohting to do and head over to catch a game.  It was either $3 or $6 for general admission seats in the upper deck.  Spent a lot of time up there in 85 & 86.

Grew up in Uniondale and would go to Hofstra to watch Jets practices. Between them and the Mets and Knicks, those were great years. 

• Like 1

Anyone watching the draft? Mets pick HS CF with marginal power but pretty good speed. Not sure I’m loving this pick and I hope the Wilpons didn’t pressure Brody to keep to signing a player who will take less. Wilpons bleeding money

• Like 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Tnx. Read that we don't have one OF in our top 15 prospects. What a factory Vandy is for college baseball. In addition to having Martin go #5, weren't both PCA and another HS OF fron TN taken before him Vandy commits?

You are correct.

• Upvote 1

Ok the season is on.... for now. 40 games in a very competitive division with the WS Champs and an Atlanta team who won the division. Phillies have very good talent as well. I’d put de’Grom on the mound every 4th day since it’s a short season and he agrees. That could bring a 3rd Cy Young award. 

Yanks only team that worries me in the AL East. 

I go to war with Strohman, Matz and Lugo. Pray Cano, Alonzo, McNeill, Davis, Conforto, Rosario and Nimmo hit the ground running and Score in bunches. This will be an absolute sprint to the finish line. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You have to put Porcello in there, and I am sure they will go with Wacha, rather than having deGrom pitch on 3 days rest throughout. Maybe if there is an off day I skip someone in the rotation but he is 32+ now and they need him healthy through his contract.

Porcello & Wacha on 1 yr. deals IIRC. Lugo a better pitcher IMO. Dude wants to start.....

I say give him a chance in this shortened season.

https://risingapple.com/2020/06/06/mets-seth-lugo-starting-rotation-2021/

Mets: Seth Lugo deserves a legitimate shot to compete for a starter role in 2021

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 03: Seth Lugo #67 of the New York Mets pitches against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park on September 3, 2019 in Washington, DC. (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images)like to see him in the bullpen because of how well he has stabilized the crew over the past two seasons. The orange and blue have paraded poor r

Seth Lugo has done more than enough to get a fair shot to compete for a starting rotation spot with the New York Mets in 2021.

When it comes to Seth Lugo, most New York Mets fans like to see him in the bullpen because of how well he has stabilized the crew over the past two seasons. The orange and blue have paraded poor relievers to the mound for the last three years with Lugo’s 2018 and 2019 campaigns standings out as two of the few positive seasons of any.

elievers to the mound for the last three years with Lugo’s 2018 and 2019 campaigns standings out as two of the few positive seasons of any.

The debate with Lugo has been whether or not the Mets should continue to use him as a reliever or put him in as a starter. The plan for 2020 seemed to include him as the club’s super-reliever yet again, but in 2021, the club seriously needs to rethink things.

Next spring, Lugo needs to have a legitimate shot to compete for a starter role.

Unfortunately, the plans we all had for 2020 fell apart. This includes any scarce chance Lugo had at becoming a starter for the Mets this year. It was already unlikely considering the team had an overflow with the additions of Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha. While losing Noah Syndergaardopened up some opportunity, it wasn’t good enough for me to believe we would see Lugo move from the bullpen to the rotation.

Of course, plans for 2020 are not yet set. If we see teams go with a six-man rotation, Lugo may become the man who gets the call.

I won’t speculate about how the Mets or any other team handle their pitching staff in 2020. I think a lot of it will be trial and error and depend on what they have in stock.

Instead, I want to look at the 2021 season which will hopefully include a full 162 game schedule.

The Mets have three starting pitchers headed toward free agency this winter and one, Syndergaard, coming off of Tommy John Surgery. The Mets lucked out in having a surplus of starters this year. I expect them to continually implore this strategy moving forward as best as they can.

For Lugo, this could mean he remains the sixth starter option with five other proven men filling out the rotation.

Sadly, I don’t think Lugo will get the fair shake he deserves. In relief, he’s brilliant. He cannot be touched.

Maybe it’s the human aspect of it all that has me pulling toward the desire to see Lugo start. I like to see people get what they desire and deserve when they have earned it. Lugo checks off both boxes.

More important, by purely keeping him in the bullpen because he’s the best guy available, the Mets are putting a Band-Aid on a bigger problem. The issue of having a poor group of relievers isn’t solved. It’s the problem they need to figure out whether Lugo is there or not. Keeping him as a reliever to help secure tight wins makes sense, but not when it’s costing them other games that he could have conceivably won as a starter.

Lugo will reach free agency after the 2022 season which is approaching faster than many of us realize. By then, the Mets should look a lot different with big decisions about Syndergaard, Marcus Stroman, and Michael Conforto beforehand.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What about the 1999 Mets?  Not saying they were better or had more heart but are they in the discussion at all?

Well that 2001 season after 9/11 was a great team at the right time. Piazza will be bound to NY sports legend for that homer!

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Supposedly, Cohen was a huge Bobby V and Omar fan. Think Omar’s role could have expanded, and Bobby may have been offered the manager job.Think Brodie would have been on the thinnest of ice.

@Trolly McTrollface @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @BROOKLYN JET @Scott Dierking @Jetsfan80 @Lith

To all my fellow Mets fans....... perhaps you can explain to me the disparity in passion between Mets & Yankee fans? 

I started the Mets 2020 thread on March 15th because I love this organization and missed talking with other fans. As such, we have over 1,000 posts during a paused season due to  a national pandemic and economic collapse. 

The 2020 Yankee thread only appeared two days ago and has 11 posts.... I don’t get it🤨

Is it the fact that our personalities always root for the runt of the litter/ the castoff/ the poor suffering soul? Is that why we love talking Mets baseball 24/7?

I just don’t understand their apathy. Insight appreciated. 

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woah.  That's a lot of ripping on another fanbase you're doing right now, and I'm not comfortable with that.  

Yankee Fans Matter? 🙃

5 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I have nothing against the Mets, I want to see them do well, but I'm a Yankees fan.

I know you’re a top notch Rangers lovin’ super fan...... maybe you can offer insight as to why the Yankee thread just seems lifeless? Is it socioeconomic as in Yankee fans have more things to put their attention into than blue collar Mets fans? Although I know a number of blue collar Yankee fans 

4 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

We just enjoy suffering...or at least that's apparent by our choice of clubs 🤷‍♂️😂

Oh joy..... a newly discovered Mets fan. When did you start following our beloved Mets?

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to  a 60 game roller-coaster ride? 

52 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Been around for a while, I just don't post very often I guess 😀. I posted on occasion the last couple.of seasons. In any case, been a mets fan since I was 5 in Howard Beach (1984). Earliest mets memory is a Doc Gooden game in 1985 that my dad took me too...which was huge of him since he was a huge Yankees fan. 

Well don’t be a stranger during this shortened season. We need to get off to a strong start or were toast. If we play the 1st 20 games at a .600 + clip against NL East it will keep the season interesting. Cano, Cespedes, Alonso and Conforto must bring the power stick from game 1. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

there are many factors in play here, among which are:

1. Many of us had the NL legacy of their Dodger-Giant parents and grandparents who were always more avid fans than the Yankee fans by nature

That’s what happened in my family

Mets sign Venezuelan pitcher Richard Brito who can throw 100 mph

https://nypost.com/2020/07/02/mets-sign-venezuelan-pitcher-richard-brito-who-can-throw-100-mph/

The 21-year-old Brito, whose fastball has a 101-102 mph ceiling, was considered a late bloomer. With MLB’s international signing period deferred until January, Brito’s bonus will be allotted from the 2019-20 pool.

Brito, at 6-foot-4 and 198 pounds, joins Robert Dominguez among high-upside international pitchers the Mets have landed over the last two years.

Dominguez, a Venezuelan who pitched in the Dominican Republic, was rated as the top international pitcher in 2019. In last month’s draft, the Mets selected JT Ginn, a Mississippi State right-hander, with their second-round pick. Ginn this week agreed to an over-slot signing bonus of $2.9 million.

The only concern I have is that you never know the true age of the international players 

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

groMRI

46 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Everything had been going so well this summer for them.

deGrom is ready to roll.... this is the org. or agents way of keeping healthy and ready. He's the most prepared pitcher in the league. He'll be ready Day 1 start..... IMO

5 innings or 75 pitches. Bullpen there on out.

• Upvote 1

With Blue Jays denied the chance to play in Canada, the season is still hanging by a thread IMO  

Game Day Thread:

same james franco GIFThe Song Remains the Same”

Yankee talent too much for Mets I’m sorry to say. 

Diaz still having problems. JD in mid-season form. 

18 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Anyone else for Lugo as a starter? It's about (expletive deleted) time

Absolutely!! I've been pushing him since May over Brach. Probably  move him to middle-inning relief with Brach.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company