2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Watched game 5 this afternoon.  Couldn't subject the wife to 10 straight hours of baseball from the 80s.  Recorded game 6 and will watch it tomorrow.

Hard to believe that was nearly 35 years ago.  I was living in Forest HIlls just across from Flushing Meadow park.  A few minutes from Shea.  Can't tell you how many times my roommate and I would be sitting around with nohting to do and head over to catch a game.  It was either $3 or $6 for general admission seats in the upper deck.  Spent a lot of time up there in 85 & 86.

Grew up in Uniondale and would go to Hofstra to watch Jets practices. Between them and the Mets and Knicks, those were great years. 

• Sympathy 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Anyone watching the draft? Mets pick HS CF with marginal power but pretty good speed. Not sure I’m loving this pick and I hope the Wilpons didn’t pressure Brody to keep to signing a player who will take less. Wilpons bleeding money

The kid was slotted in that area of the draft, so not sure why they would necessarily pay less. 

Plus defense, plus speed and a good batting eye. If he can be a top of the order guy, that can steal 30 bases, hit .285 and play gold glove defense, I will gladly take it. Then again, you are dealing with an 18 year old kid, so who knows how he will turn out? Mets 1st rounders have been better than average in the mlb over the last 10 years though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The kid was slotted in that area of the draft, so not sure why they would necessarily pay less. 

Plus defense, plus speed and a good batting eye. If he can be a top of the order guy, that can steal 30 bases, hit .285 and play gold glove defense, I will gladly take it. Then again, you are dealing with an 18 year old kid, so who knows how he will turn out? Mets 1st rounders have been better than average in the mlb over the last 10 years though.

Pretty much the way I feel.  Admittedly I know nothing about the kid other than what I have read about him since last night, but we have not had this kind of player in CF or at the top of our lineup for years.  Comps given on mlb network were Darrin Erstad/Brett Gardner type of player.  If he gives us defense in CF, speed at the top of the lineup, gets on base and develops a bit of pop as he gets older, nothing wrong with this pick in ths slot.

Also agree that as an 18-year old kid, who knows how he will develop and when/if he will be a starter for us.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

Pretty much the way I feel.  Admittedly I know nothing about the kid other than what I have read about him since last night, but we have not had this kind of player in CF or at the top of our lineup for years.  Comps given on mlb network were Darrin Erstad/Brett Gardner type of player.  If he gives up defense in CF, speed at the top of the lineup, gets on base and develops a bit of pop as he gets older, nothing wrong with this pick in ths slot.

Also agree that as an 18-year old kid, who knows how he will develop and when/if he will be a starter for us.

With the brash moxey he shows, and with speed/defense combo, Lenny Dykstra came immediately to mind. Though, he will never have the power that Lenny had, supplemented or not. 

I would gladly take the Erstad comp.

Need a college pitcher in Rd or the comp pick. I would love Chris McMahon from Miami, as we know the kid and played against him in Little League and HS, but doubt he will be there when the Mets pick

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

High School players tend to cost more than college players, no?  I don't think money had anything to do with the pick last night.  

It all depends. What were their expectations in terms of slotting? If you pick them higher than what they expected, they will probably take less (you work this out before you pick them). Maybe that was what the Red Sox did last night (although that was a puzzler). 

How good of a student is the high school player, and does he have good options at a good college if things don't pan out can also be a factor.

We had a kid that we coached in Little League, was around our travel ball program, and competed in the same town (different High School). He was heavily scouted during HS. He let it be known a number that would get him to commit to playing pro ball. Well,, I guess teams did not see him as that value where that money slot would have fallen. The Braves took him in the 33rd on a flyer. Of course, he didn't sign. He went to Miami and was projected as a late first round, early second pick last night (has not been picked yet).

We played with an outfielder who was a 5 tools guy in our travel program. The draft 2 years ago, San Diego calls him on the phone and tell him "We are ready to take you in the 12 round, for this amount of money. Will you sign for that?". Well, his mom and dad were not there. He tells them that and says he can't make the decision without them. The team passes on him. I think someone then took him later, but he did not sign.

All kind of stuff happens.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

With the brash moxey he shows, and with speed/defense combo, Lenny Dykstra came immediately to mind. Though, he will never have the power that Lenny had, supplemented or not. 

I would gladly take the Erstad comp.

Need a college pitcher in Rd or the comp pick. I would love Chris McMahon from Miami, as we know the kid and played against him in Little League and HS, but doubt he will be there when the Mets pick

The ex-GM on the MLB set said that the CF we took last night has defense to play in the majors right now. Loves the angles he takes and says he gets to balls in the gap quicker than anyone he's seen in a long while. I agree, we will probably take a pitcher, or two, tonight. With Noah out, and both he and Stroman FA's next year, will need to add arms. Looks like we hit it on the two kids we took in rds 2&3 last year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The ex-GM on the MLB set said that the CF we took last night has defense to play in the majors right now. Loves the angles he takes and says he gets to balls in the gap quicker than anyone he's seen in a long while. I agree, we will probably take a pitcher, or two, tonight. With Noah out, and both he and Stroman FA's next year, will need to add arms. Looks like we hit it on the two kids we took in rds 2&3 last year.

This draft is loaded with Pitchers, and I would be surprised to not see them take at least 2 today.

Mets have very little OF depth in the org, so they decided to jump at what was probably best on their board in Crow-Armstrong. Here is a scout's report on him:

12/21/19

at Hart (Winter Game) - The #1 Overall Player in the 2020 Class, Pete Crow-Armstrong (“PCA”) will have plenty of eyes on him during the 2020 season as was evident by the roughly ten scouts in attendance for a Winter game. I’ve been able to get a good looks at PCA during the past two summers at the Area Code Games and this look continued to show a player who should be a very high-round pick come June 2020. The long, wiry strength has continued to firm up, adding more mass without taking away from his twitchy athletic ability that shows up in all aspects of the games. At the plate the CF keeps the hands high with a simple knee tuck while maintaining strong posture and allowing for fast turns that create space for the hands to work through the zone; the bat speed is an asset and when on time has the ability to square up multiple pitches. During the game, his timing was tinkered with and while he didn’t pick up a hit, was right on a mid 80’s FB for a hard L8 before walking and showing that quick twitch burst to steal 2nd. Defensively he’s an easy fit in CF where he covers both gaps and has the ability to pick his spots for special plays. That was evident on the last play of the game when he started in on a lined ball at him adjusting his body on the fly, turning and making a leaping catch to prevent the ball from going over his head as it took off; it’s the type of reaction and athleticism that isn’t taught.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

This draft is loaded with Pitchers, and I would be surprised to not see them take at least 2 today.

Mets have very little OF depth in the org, so they decided to jump at what was probably best on their board in Crow-Armstrong. Here is a scout's report on him:

12/21/19

at Hart (Winter Game) - The #1 Overall Player in the 2020 Class, Pete Crow-Armstrong (“PCA”) will have plenty of eyes on him during the 2020 season as was evident by the roughly ten scouts in attendance for a Winter game. I’ve been able to get a good looks at PCA during the past two summers at the Area Code Games and this look continued to show a player who should be a very high-round pick come June 2020. The long, wiry strength has continued to firm up, adding more mass without taking away from his twitchy athletic ability that shows up in all aspects of the games. At the plate the CF keeps the hands high with a simple knee tuck while maintaining strong posture and allowing for fast turns that create space for the hands to work through the zone; the bat speed is an asset and when on time has the ability to square up multiple pitches. During the game, his timing was tinkered with and while he didn’t pick up a hit, was right on a mid 80’s FB for a hard L8 before walking and showing that quick twitch burst to steal 2nd. Defensively he’s an easy fit in CF where he covers both gaps and has the ability to pick his spots for special plays. That was evident on the last play of the game when he started in on a lined ball at him adjusting his body on the fly, turning and making a leaping catch to prevent the ball from going over his head as it took off; it’s the type of reaction and athleticism that isn’t taught.

Tnx. Read that we don't have one OF in our top 15 prospects. What a factory Vandy is for college baseball. In addition to having Martin go #5, weren't both PCA and another HS OF fron TN taken before him Vandy commits?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Tnx. Read that we don't have one OF in our top 15 prospects. What a factory Vandy is for college baseball. In addition to having Martin go #5, weren't both PCA and another HS OF fron TN taken before him Vandy commits?

You are correct.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the season is on.... for now. 40 games in a very competitive division with the WS Champs and an Atlanta team who won the division. Phillies have very good talent as well. I’d put de’Grom on the mound every 4th day since it’s a short season and he agrees. That could bring a 3rd Cy Young award. 

Yanks only team that worries me in the AL East. 

I go to war with Strohman, Matz and Lugo. Pray Cano, Alonzo, McNeill, Davis, Conforto, Rosario and Nimmo hit the ground running and Score in bunches. This will be an absolute sprint to the finish line. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok the season is on.... for now. 40 games in a very competitive division with the WS Champs and an Atlanta team who won the division. Phillies have very good talent as well. I’d put de’Grom on the mound every 4th day since it’s a short season and he agrees. That could bring a 3rd Cy Young award. 

Yanks only team that worries me in the AL East. 

I go to war with Strohman, Matz and Lugo. Pray Cano, Alonzo, McNeill, Davis, Conforto, Rosario and Nimmo hit the ground running and Score in bunches. This will be an absolute sprint to the finish line. 

You have to put Porcello in there, and I am sure they will go with Wacha, rather than having deGrom pitch on 3 days rest throughout. Maybe if there is an off day I skip someone in the rotation but he is 32+ now and they need him healthy through his contract.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You have to put Porcello in there, and I am sure they will go with Wacha, rather than having deGrom pitch on 3 days rest throughout. Maybe if there is an off day I skip someone in the rotation but he is 32+ now and they need him healthy through his contract.

Porcello & Wacha on 1 yr. deals IIRC. Lugo a better pitcher IMO. Dude wants to start.....

I say give him a chance in this shortened season.

https://risingapple.com/2020/06/06/mets-seth-lugo-starting-rotation-2021/

Mets: Seth Lugo deserves a legitimate shot to compete for a starter role in 2021

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 03: Seth Lugo #67 of the New York Mets pitches against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park on September 3, 2019 in Washington, DC. (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images)like to see him in the bullpen because of how well he has stabilized the crew over the past two seasons. The orange and blue have paraded poor r

Seth Lugo has done more than enough to get a fair shot to compete for a starting rotation spot with the New York Mets in 2021.

When it comes to Seth Lugo, most New York Mets fans like to see him in the bullpen because of how well he has stabilized the crew over the past two seasons. The orange and blue have paraded poor relievers to the mound for the last three years with Lugo’s 2018 and 2019 campaigns standings out as two of the few positive seasons of any.

elievers to the mound for the last three years with Lugo’s 2018 and 2019 campaigns standings out as two of the few positive seasons of any.

The debate with Lugo has been whether or not the Mets should continue to use him as a reliever or put him in as a starter. The plan for 2020 seemed to include him as the club’s super-reliever yet again, but in 2021, the club seriously needs to rethink things.

Next spring, Lugo needs to have a legitimate shot to compete for a starter role.

Unfortunately, the plans we all had for 2020 fell apart. This includes any scarce chance Lugo had at becoming a starter for the Mets this year. It was already unlikely considering the team had an overflow with the additions of Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha. While losing Noah Syndergaardopened up some opportunity, it wasn’t good enough for me to believe we would see Lugo move from the bullpen to the rotation.

Of course, plans for 2020 are not yet set. If we see teams go with a six-man rotation, Lugo may become the man who gets the call.

I won’t speculate about how the Mets or any other team handle their pitching staff in 2020. I think a lot of it will be trial and error and depend on what they have in stock.

Instead, I want to look at the 2021 season which will hopefully include a full 162 game schedule.

The Mets have three starting pitchers headed toward free agency this winter and one, Syndergaard, coming off of Tommy John Surgery. The Mets lucked out in having a surplus of starters this year. I expect them to continually implore this strategy moving forward as best as they can.

For Lugo, this could mean he remains the sixth starter option with five other proven men filling out the rotation.

Sadly, I don’t think Lugo will get the fair shake he deserves. In relief, he’s brilliant. He cannot be touched.

Maybe it’s the human aspect of it all that has me pulling toward the desire to see Lugo start. I like to see people get what they desire and deserve when they have earned it. Lugo checks off both boxes.

More important, by purely keeping him in the bullpen because he’s the best guy available, the Mets are putting a Band-Aid on a bigger problem. The issue of having a poor group of relievers isn’t solved. It’s the problem they need to figure out whether Lugo is there or not. Keeping him as a reliever to help secure tight wins makes sense, but not when it’s costing them other games that he could have conceivably won as a starter.

Lugo will reach free agency after the 2022 season which is approaching faster than many of us realize. By then, the Mets should look a lot different with big decisions about Syndergaard, Marcus Stroman, and Michael Conforto beforehand.

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, section314 said:

Think he would have been doing more than singing if Cohen took over.?

Steven Cohen was a big fan of Bobby V?  How big a role do you think he would've gotten under Cohen?  Like a GM or manager type gig?

On 6/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, section314 said:

Eh, not all that exciting unless his offense turns out to be legit.  There are probably great defensive OFs who can't hit that can be acquired.  OTOH, if we're getting an Erstad or Dykstra (even pre-roids), that would be an outstanding pick!

The early returns are good on the guys we got in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Wolf and Allen - both pitchers) last year? 

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, The Crimson King said:

Matz to the pen according to SNY last night

guess they are impressed enough with Wacha

Always nice to have too many pitchers

They'll probably blow out Matz's arm in order to protect Wacha (who the Cardinals apparently gave up on).

On 3/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, 32EBoozer said:

McDowell & Orosco.... I loved that righty/lefty duo. Great game... lots of memories. Carter, Hernandez, Tuffel, Knight, Mookie, Wally and Lenny, Maz, Mitchell, Gooden , Straw, Ojeida, Davie, Mel, Darling, Fernandez......................,,

What a great group of characters with great no quit attitudes. Don’t think I’ll love a team more than them, and I was around for ‘69. 

What about the 1999 Mets?  Not saying they were better or had more heart but are they in the discussion at all?

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What about the 1999 Mets?  Not saying they were better or had more heart but are they in the discussion at all?

Well that 2001 season after 9/11 was a great team at the right time. Piazza will be bound to NY sports legend for that homer!

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Steven Cohen was a big fan of Bobby V?  How big a role do you think he would've gotten under Cohen?  Like a GM or manager type gig?

Eh, not all that exciting unless his offense turns out to be legit.  There are probably great defensive OFs who can't hit that can be acquired.  OTOH, if we're getting an Erstad or Dykstra (even pre-roids), that would be an outstanding pick!

The early returns are good on the guys we got in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Wolf and Allen - both pitchers) last year? 

Supposedly, Cohen was a huge Bobby V and Omar fan. Think Omar’s role could have expanded, and Bobby may have been offered the manager job.Think Brodie would have been on the thinnest of ice.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Supposedly, Cohen was a huge Bobby V and Omar fan. Think Omar’s role could have expanded, and Bobby may have been offered the manager job.Think Brodie would have been on the thinnest of ice.

@Trolly McTrollface @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @BROOKLYN JET @Scott Dierking @Jetsfan80 @Lith

To all my fellow Mets fans....... perhaps you can explain to me the disparity in passion between Mets & Yankee fans? 

I started the Mets 2020 thread on March 15th because I love this organization and missed talking with other fans. As such, we have over 1,000 posts during a paused season due to  a national pandemic and economic collapse. 

The 2020 Yankee thread only appeared two days ago and has 11 posts.... I don’t get it?

Is it the fact that our personalities always root for the runt of the litter/ the castoff/ the poor suffering soul? Is that why we love talking Mets baseball 24/7?

I just don’t understand their apathy. Insight appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@Trolly McTrollface @The Crimson King @TuscanyTile2 @BROOKLYN JET @Scott Dierking @Jetsfan80 @Lith

To all my fellow Mets fans....... perhaps you can explain to me the disparity in passion between Mets & Yankee fans? 

I started the Mets 2020 thread on March 15th because I love this organization and missed talking with other fans. As such, we have over 1,000 posts during a paused season due to  a national pandemic and economic collapse. 

The 2020 Yankee thread only appeared two days ago and has 11 posts.... I don’t get it?

Is it the fact that our personalities always root for the runt of the litter/ the castoff/ the poor suffering soul? Is that why we love talking Mets baseball 24/7?

As Mets fans, we are clearly the superior species. Through thick and thin we remain loyal. We are more knowledgeable about the game, not to mention better looking.

I used to love challenging guys who wore Yankee hats to name their starting lineup back in the “core 4 era”. Forget the fact that most couldn’t name anyone besides Jeter, none of them could name their so called core 4.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

As Mets fans, we are the superior species.

Yankee fans are front running star f**kers.

I used to love challenging guys who wore Yankee hats to name their starting lineup back in the “core 4 era”. Forget the fact that most couldn’t name anyone besides Jeter, none of them could name their so called core 4.

Woah.  That's a lot of ripping on another fanbase you're doing right now, and I'm not comfortable with that.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woah.  That's a lot of ripping on another fanbase you're doing right now, and I'm not comfortable with that.  

Point taken, 80.

i edited my original post. See below  for the kinder, mor pc version.

6 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

As Mets fans, we are clearly the superior species. Through thick and thin we remain loyal. We are more knowledgeable about the game, not to mention better looking.

46 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We just enjoy suffering...or at least that's apparent by our choice of clubs ?‍♂️?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I have nothing against the Mets, I want to see them do well, but I'm a Yankees fan.

I know you’re a top notch Rangers lovin’ super fan...... maybe you can offer insight as to why the Yankee thread just seems lifeless? Is it socioeconomic as in Yankee fans have more things to put their attention into than blue collar Mets fans? Although I know a number of blue collar Yankee fans 

4 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

We just enjoy suffering...or at least that's apparent by our choice of clubs ?‍♂️?

Oh joy..... a newly discovered Mets fan. When did you start following our beloved Mets?

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to  a 60 game roller-coaster ride? 

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I know you’re a top notch Rangers lovin’ super fan...... maybe you can offer insight as to why the Yankee thread just seems lifeless? Is it socioeconomic as in Yankee fans have more things to put their attention into than blue collar Mets fans? Although I know a number of blue collar Yankee fans 

They have to deal with @Philc1 in the Yankee thread, which is probably a big factor in the lack of interest there also...?

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Oh joy..... a newly discovered Mets fan. When did you start following our beloved Mets?

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to  a 60 game roller-coaster ride? 

Been around for a while, I just don't post very often I guess ?. I posted on occasion the last couple.of seasons. In any case, been a mets fan since I was 5 in Howard Beach (1984). Earliest mets memory is a Doc Gooden game in 1985 that my dad took me too...which was huge of him since he was a huge Yankees fan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1