2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What we saw yesterday is a capsule of what we saw in 2019. Which was too bad because Brodie gave up a lot of assets to get Diaz they planned to have a good bullpen and it dramatically failed. They eventually took Diaz out of that role but probably too late. 

I disagree. Diaz has looked different than what he looked like the majority of last year. The slider has had bite, and it has not hung. Lat year he could not control it.

And last year, he had little control of the fastball as well. He has routinely hit the black this year.

The pitch that Ozuna hit, was not a terrible pitch. I would have preferred it be down in the zone more, but it was not a bad pitch. It was on the outer 1/3 of the plate.

Small sample size, granted, but Diaz has looked better than last year. Maybe he melts into a puddle because of this, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

What we saw yesterday is a capsule of what we saw in 2019. Which was too bad because Brodie gave up a lot of assets to get Diaz they planned to have a good bullpen and it dramatically failed. They eventually took Diaz out of that role but probably too late. 

I was not a fan of the Diaz trade but Swarzak isn't even on a team right now and Dunn barely made the roster. Kelenic looks like a stud but Seattle still isn't calling him up which is really odd at this point. Trading Kelenic was colossally stupid but it's not looking like as disastrous a trade as we originally all thought. Not to mention the fact that with the emergence of Davis the Mets OF is the last thing they have to worry about for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I was not a fan of the Diaz trade but Swarzak isn't even on a team right now and Dunn barely made the roster. Kelenic looks like a stud but Seattle still isn't calling him up which is really odd at this point. Trading Kelenic was colossally stupid but it's not looking like as disastrous a trade as we originally all thought. Not to mention the fact that with the emergence of Davis the Mets OF is the last thing they have to worry about for the foreseeable future.

Kelenic is a stud. I don't see how he does not become at least a very good player.

The reason why any mlb team is not calling up any rookie to this point, is because if you wait until after 6 games, you gain a year of player control. The beauty that is mlb.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I disagree. Diaz has looked different than what he looked like the majority of last year. The slider has had bite, and it has not hung. Lat year he could not control it.

And last year, he had little control of the fastball as well. He has routinely hit the black this year.

The pitch that Ozuna hit, was not a terrible pitch. I would have preferred it be down in the zone more, but it was not a bad pitch. It was on the outer 1/3 of the plate.

Small sample size, granted, but Diaz has looked better than last year. Maybe he melts into a puddle because of this, I don't know.

I hope you’re right!

• Upvote 2

Random thoughts after the fiasco tonight.

Porcello is who we thought he was. 

Where are the bats?

I love no fans at golf tournaments, hate it with baseball. The cardboard cut outs are beyond dumb.

I hate the fake crowd noise also.

I Rojas going to change the lineup every game?

deGrom is beyond words good.

The extra inning thing is dumb.

Surprisingly, I'm liking the DH.

The Marlins had 14 players test positive and they canceled their home opener.  This doesn't bode well for the season.  You can't have 1 team that plays with all minor leaguers.  Plus now both the Marlins and Phillies are going to fall behind on games in a season where there aren't that many off days to begin with.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Marlins had 14 players test positive and they canceled their home opener.  This doesn't bode well for the season.  You can't have 1 team that plays with all minor leaguers.  Plus now both the Marlins and Phillies are going to fall behind on games in a season where there aren't that many off days to begin with.

They’re going to have to shut it down. 

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This was the exact purpose of having the expanded rosters. They wouldnt have started up again if the plan was just to cancel if a team got it. At least you'd hope they'd have more sense than that.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

This was the exact purpose of having the expanded rosters. They wouldnt have started up again if the plan was just to cancel if a team got it. At least you'd hope they'd have more sense than that.

Right, I hear you.  But I don't think MLB is actually going to let one team play with a squad of all minor leaguers.  It won't be a good look for the sport at all.  I'm guessing the expanded rosters were more for a couple of players going down.  Losing 14 players in 1 day would kind of take away the integrity of the games.  At least that's my gut feeling of how baseball will view it.  I could absolutely be wrong about that.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ugly start.  Crazy to think we have no pitching beyond Degrom when it seems like it was just yesterday we were 5 deep.

That F'ing Cano trade F'd us so badly.  In addition to Kelenic being a possible young, cheap, potential star, while Diaz has gone straight into the crapper, we also are spending money on Cano that could've been used to keep Wheeler.  Even though I love what Brodie has done in his 2 drafts here, I don't know if I'm going to ever be able to get over that trade.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That F'ing Cano trade F'd us so badly.  In addition to Kelenic being a possible young, cheap, potential star, while Diaz has gone straight into the crapper, we also are spending money on Cano that could've been used to keep Wheeler.  Even though I love what Brodie has done in his 2 drafts here, I don't know if I'm going to ever be able to get over that trade.   

Yep, last night wouldnt feel so bad if Diaz wasnt a ******* disaster. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Shades of Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.

No, Kazmir didn't end up much more than a decent # 3/4 starter.  And Kelenic may similarly not work out in the bigs.  But it's a symptom of poor resource allocation.  We should have gotten a lot more out of Kazmir and a lot more out of Kelenic. 

The Mets already get strapped with limited resources thanks to ownership.  Our GM can't make it worse by being reckless like that in making trades.  

Hopefully its a lesson learned and ends up merely a blip in an otherwise successful regime.

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shades of Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.

No, Kazmir didn't end up much more than a decent # 3/4 starter.  And Kelenic may similarly not work out in the bigs.  But it's a symptom of poor resource allocation.  We should have gotten a lot more out of Kazmir and a lot more out of Kelenic. 

The Mets already get strapped with limited resources thanks to ownership.  Our GM can't make it worse by being reckless like that in making trades.  

Hopefully its a lesson learned and ends up merely a blip in an otherwise successful regime.

I hope I'm wrong but (like many others) I have a bad feeling Kelenic is going to be really good.  We lost this trade on all levels.  IIRC, the Mariners were even able to trade Jay Bruce without taking back salary.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Gare loves to mention the name "Mike Foltynewicz".  He mentioned him a bunch last year and again just now.

I would take a flier on him with a waiver claim. Doubt he gets through to the Mets though.

Wacha showed something last night. If he can throw mid 90's, with that change-up, Mets have have a decent 4 guy. Then pray that Stroman comes back strong.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would take a flier on him with a waiver claim. Doubt he gets through to the Mets though.

Wacha showed something last night. If he can throw mid 90's, with that change-up, Mets have have a decent 4 guy. Then pray that Stroman comes back strong.

Definitely encouraging about Wacha, especially after Porcello shat the bed.

Worth it to make a claim on Mike Folty Towers but does the order of claims go by worst record?  Weird to think that there would be a guy a lot of teams might want to claim (assuming he didn't do something awful) after only a couple of games (and the Marlins already canceled a game).

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Definitely encouraging about Wacha, especially after Porcello shat the bed.

Worth it to make a claim on Mike Folty Towers but does the order of claims go by worst record?  Weird to think that there would be a guy a lot of teams might want to claim (assuming he didn't do something awful) after only a couple of games (and the Marlins already canceled a game).

Teams have an opportunity to trade for him during a 7 day period, which I would think someone will.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:06 PM, Trolly McTrollface said:

Random thoughts after the fiasco tonight.

Porcello is who we thought he was. 

Where are the bats?

I love no fans at golf tournaments, hate it with baseball. The cardboard cut outs are beyond dumb.

I hate the fake crowd noise also.

I Rojas going to change the lineup every game?

deGrom is beyond words good.

The extra inning thing is dumb.

Surprisingly, I'm liking the DH.

When a team with lousy starting pitching like the Red Sox let a guy walk, it should tell you something. Thought I heard on the radio this AM that Peterson may start tonight.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, section314 said:

When a team with lousy starting pitching like the Red Sox let a guy walk, it should tell you something. Thought I heard on the radio this AM that Peterson may start tonight.

I heard that also. Something to look forward to, but I'm a little surprised, because I read somewhere that teams can keep an extra year of control over a player if they wait until after the 6th game of the season to bring him up.

3 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I heard that also. Something to look forward to, but I'm a little surprised, because I read somewhere that teams can keep an extra year of control over a player if they wait until after the 6th game of the season to bring him up.

Peterson is starting tonight. Have to give Brody credit, like he did with Alonso last year, eschewing the extra year of control for help today.

• Upvote 2

Seems my Nats won't be much competition, 1-4 start (so basically 3-12) and we've not even been as good as even that bad record would imply.

No offense whatsoever.  Hits, sure, no scoring.  Soto out for COVID, Stras hurt, Rendon in Cali.  :(

I am dissapoint.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Peterson kid had a little moxie. Got into some tough spots and worked his way out.

Bullpen, even with the uncertain start for Diaz, looks much better this year. 

Nimmo has been squaring up the ball almost every at bat.

Alonso looks lost.

Took Davis a few days to find his footing too. Rojas still seems like he's feeling his way around the lineup. I liked the idea of hitting Alonso at 2 on Monday, I wish he'd do it for a few more games to let him work stuff out. Slow start for him seemed inevitable with the season he had and the bizarre offseason. 

I'm a huge fan of him being able to play the hot hand with Nimmo at 9 and Rosario leading off. It's a really deep lineup. Whatever pitching woes the Mets have they sure do have the ability to swing a game quickly this year. Once Alonso gets going look out. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Peterson kid had a little moxie. Got into some tough spots and worked his way out.

Bullpen, even with the uncertain start for Diaz, looks much better this year. 

Nimmo has been squaring up the ball almost every at bat.

Alonso looks lost.

I really liked the innings Shreve gave the other night.  He gave up a dinger but otherwise, was very good.  Made some great plays in the field too.  And I like how Rojas is quick to make a move.  I felt like Callaway would just watch pitchers die on the mound.  Rojas is much quicker to make a call.  It's worked so far.

• Upvote 1