Jump to content

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m visiting my parents on Long Island, and we have the game on in the den. My mom is 89 years old, and knows nothing about sports. Rosario is up in the 9th, and they show Conforto on deck. We do

Wow.  What an awesome win!!!  Best win since 2015.  Something is going on with this team and it is pretty special right now. Davis, Alonzo and Conforto do it again.  And Frazier too. Pending

I think this Jamal Adams trade was Seattle making it up to NY fans for the Diaz/Cano/Kelenic trade.

Posted Images

I will always have fond memories of that one time that Lowrie reached base in his Mets career.  0-7 and a walk in 9 appearances.  For $20MM over two seasons.  What a waste of a signing.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

COVID MY ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yoenis can't hit anymore !!!!!

I really wonder if he was just pouting about being DHed rather than playing LF. If it really is about Covid, then how about making a phone call to the team before the game?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

I really wonder if he was just pouting about being DHed rather than playing LF. If it really is about Covid, then how about making a phone call to the team before the game?

 

Sounds like you may be right -- at least according to this article in the Post

https://nypost.com/2020/08/02/yoenis-cespedes-opts-out-over-mets-anger-not-coronavirus/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app

Quote

Yoenis Cespedes was frustrated with Mets before opting out
By Mike Puma and Joel ShermanAugust 2, 2020 | 6:22pm | Updated
 

Yoenis Cespedes walked.

Is it because money talks?

The Mets announced Sunday afternoon that Cespedes opted out of this season over concerns about COVID-19, and a friend backed up that version.

But multiple sources confirmed that twice in the first nine games of the season, Cespedes confronted Mets officials concerned about playing time and that he would be kept out of lineups to prevent him from reaching lucrative performance bonuses. One of those came Saturday, when Cespedes first talked to Luis Rojas and then Brodie Van Wagenen about his playing status and bonuses. Then Cespedes knew before the buses left for Truist Park on Sunday he was not in the starting lineup and he never showed for the game against the Braves, triggering a bizarre day even for the Mets.

...

Cespedes did not start for the first time in the fourth game of the season in Boston. Cespedes confronted Rojas, asking why he was not playing and if it had to do with his bonus provisions, sources said. Rojas told Cespedes he was unaware of the bonus provisions and explained to the player that the off day at Fenway Park was because the team had arrived at 3:30 a.m. after a long bus ride following a Sunday night game.

On Saturday, Cespedes talked first to Rojas and then to Van Wagenen again about his playing status and if it was being impacted by the bonus provisions. Both Mets officials attempted to reassure Cespedes that was not the case.

Still, with Cespedes 2-for-15 with nine strikeouts in his past four games, the decision was reached to put Cespedes on the bench again Sunday. And then he was a no-show — it turns out for the rest of the year.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Billy Hamilton.  Another Metsy/Brodie acquisition if I ever saw one. 

Is that prospect we gave up any good?  Doesn't matter.  He'll go on to win a Cy Young just because. 

What is the next step after throwing sh*t against the wall and hoping it sticks? Because Brodie is well into it.😩

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, section314 said:

What is the next step after throwing sh*t against the wall and hoping it sticks? Because Brodie is well into it.😩

Fire him and hire someone who has actually played a role in running a baseball team before.  Just a thought.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fire him and hire someone who has actually played a role in running a baseball team before.  Just a thought.  

I honestly feel that Brodie will be the first person out the door when the new ownership takes over. If Cohen wins out, don't be surprised if we get the return of Omar. Supposedly a big fan.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I honestly feel that Brodie will be the first person out the door when the new ownership takes over. If Cohen wins out, don't be surprised if we get the return of Omar. Supposedly a big fan.

If we get Cohen as owner he can hire Mike Maccagnan as GM for all I care.  Just get the Wilpons out, please.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

I just heard a fun stat: if the Mets scored just 4 runs in each of Jacob DeGroms last 64 started he would be 55-9.  

That is crazy.....some of the numbers for Jake over the last 2+ seasons are incredible. He is the modern day Tom Seaver as far as run support goes. You want to have some fun? Look at Seaver's years from 69-71, especially 71. He was 20-10, with an ERA almost a full run lower than 69, when he won 25 games. I can remember many of his starts that year, when if he gave up one run, he had a good chance to lose or, at best, a no decision.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The oddities of modern era Baseball....

The four backup LF's to Juan Soto so far this year (Stevenson, Taylor, Harrison & Bonafacio) are a combined 3 for 29 (.103 batting average).

All three of their hits......Home Runs.

/smh

All of them are fast guys, the kind of guys who should be legging out infield hits and slap hitting for singles then stealing bases, advancing, etc.

Nope, all of them swing for the fences with every at-bat.

There are days where I truly think modern baseball is just rediculous, where even 5'4" infielders think they're supposed to be Babe Ruth, and somehow the metrics justify that instead of old school small ball hit-for-average-get-on-base baseball.

/endoldmanrant

Good luck tonight, hoping Scherzer can hold yall down and get us into the winning season record side of the ledger finally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The oddities of modern era Baseball....

The four backup LF's to Juan Soto so far this year (Stevenson, Taylor, Harrison & Bonafacio) are a combined 3 for 29 (.103 batting average).

All three of their hits......Home Runs.

/smh

All of them are fast guys, the kind of guys who should be legging out infield hits and slap hitting for singles then stealing bases, advancing, etc.

Nope, all of them swing for the fences with every at-bat.

There are days where I truly think modern baseball is just rediculous, where even 5'4" infielders think they're supposed to be Babe Ruth, and somehow the metrics justify that instead of old school small ball hit-for-average-get-on-base baseball.

/endoldmanrant

Good luck tonight, hoping Scherzer can hold yall down and get us into the winning season record side of the ledger finally.

 

Well that's the beauty of the game:  It is always adapting.  

Pitchers are already starting to get smarter about how they handle the new launch angles that hitters are using.  Throw pitches up in the zone (or higher, out of the zone) more consistently.  Throw more breaking balls and less sinkers.  Keep the ball in the park and force more pop-ups. 

Eventually things will shift back toward a more palatable form of baseball.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a really crisp, clean well played game.  Great efficient pitching from both Porcello and Lugo.  Really refreshing to see a starting pitcher who is not approaching 100 pitches in the 5th inning.  Defense was really solid as well, both Guillorme and Gimenez really improved the defense up the middle.  Never thought we had a chance tonight the way Porcello had been pitching.  Hopefully this is the start of something for him and not a fluke.

Would like to see them do a bit better than 2-11 with RISP, but I guess you can't have everything.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lith said:

That was a really crisp, clean well played game.  Great efficient pitching from both Porcello and Lugo.  Really refreshing to see a starting pitcher who is not approaching 100 pitches in the 5th inning.  Defense was really solid as well, both Guillorme and Gimenez really improved the defense up the middle.  Never thought we had a chance tonight the way Porcello had been pitching.  Hopefully this is the start of something for him and not a fluke.

Would like to see them do a bit better than 2-11 with RISP, but I guess you can't have everything.  

Amazing how a well played defensive game can make a team look so much better.  As Rutgers pointed out above, Gimenez has been a revelation. He acts like he belongs. As bad as Guillorme is offensively, he plays pretty slick defense.

I believe my baseball IQ has actually decreased, having to watch with DH rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...