2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

28 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Worse GM

McCagnen or Van Waganon

I never thought anyone would be close to Mac but god dam Brodie is giving him a run for his money. Brodie is actually destroying a team while as Mac started with sh*t and ended with even worse sh*t that didn’t seem possible 

I’m not sure how to feel about BVW. The Cano Diaz trade is a Scarlet letter for sure, but his drafts have been pretty damn good.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Worse GM

McCagnen or Van Waganon

I never thought anyone would be close to Mac but god dam Brodie is giving him a run for his money. Brodie is actually destroying a team while as Mac started with sh*t and ended with even worse sh*t that didn’t seem possible 

We have to hope that his "blind spot" for wanting to trade for his guys goes away. That has been a real distraction.

-The Cano trade stings. Stings a lot. I know he wanted to make an initial splash, but man that one seems like it is going to hurt. Especially when we know Cano needs to be delegated to the bench in place of Gimenez, at least short term.

We have to give him credit in not waiting to promote rookies. He did not cheap out on Alonso, and someone pushed for Gimenez. Not sure if that was Rojas or not. Be he allowed it.

-He seems to listen to his scouts when drafting. And, while we have not seen the results yet, the way he has maneuvered around getting top talent in the draft has been impressive.

-While he deservedly gets crushed for the Cano trade, he deserves credit for the JD Davis trade.

-He did get deGrom signed. And right now, that is a steal of a deal. How many times have we seen that type of talent walk?  I had no problem in letting Wheeler walk, Personally, I did not think that he was worth the money. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but he seemed to come up small in many big spots.

-It will be interesting to see how he spends, when supposedly the purse strings are loosened with a new owner. Also, the starting pitching staff will need to be revamped. Interesting decision on Syndergaard next season, when he will be coming back from injury.

I still grade Van Waganon as "incomplete", but there is NO WAY he is on a Macc level.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

We have to hope that his "blind spot" for wanting to trade for his guys goes away. That has been a real distraction.

-The Cano trade stings. Stings a lot. I know he wanted to make an initial splash, but man that one seems like it is going to hurt. Especially when we know Cano needs to be delegated to the bench in place of Gimenez, at least short term.

We have to give him credit in not waiting to promote rookies. He did not cheap out on Alonso, and someone pushed for Gimenez. Not sure if that was Rojas or not. Be he allowed it.

-He seems to listen to his scouts when drafting. And, while we have not seen the results yet, the way he has maneuvered around getting top talent in the draft has been impressive.

-While he deservedly gets crushed for the Cano trade, he deserves credit for the JD Davis trade.

-He did get deGrom signed. And right now, that is a steal of a deal. How many times have we seen that type of talent walk?  I had no problem in letting Wheeler walk, Personally, I did not think that he was worth the money. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but he seemed to come up small in many big spots.

-It will be interesting to see how he spends, when supposedly the purse strings are loosened with a new owner. Also, the starting pitching staff will need to be revamped. Interesting decision on Syndergaard next season, when he will be coming back from injury.

I still grade Van Waganon as "incomplete", but there is NO WAY he is on a Macc level.

You left out Jed Lowrie.  And between the salaries of Cano and Lowrie, we could've kept Wheeler (who I did want to keep fwiw).  BVW knew he was going to be restricted as far as payroll yet he absorbed Cano's albatross of a contract.  Horrible!

The Jake contract was great though and trading for JD Davis looks like a steal.  I really like what he's done in the draft as well though there's no reason our next owner can't just keep Tommy Tanous and his staff in place while firing Brodie.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You left out Jed Lowrie.  And between the salaries of Cano and Lowrie, we could've kept Wheeler (who I did want to keep fwiw).  BVW knew he was going to be restricted as far as payroll yet he absorbed Cano's albatross of a contract.  Horrible!

The Jake contract was great though and trading for JD Davis looks like a steal.  I really like what he's done in the draft as well though there's no reason our next owner can't just keep Tommy Tanous and his staff in place while firing Brodie.  

Was Lowrie a client of Brodie’s old shop?

On 8/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, Philc1 said:

You guys should fire Van Wagonen and bring back Minaya.  Rojas has to go to he stinks.  Bring back Bobby V

What's wrong with Rojas?  If you're going to say the way he uses the bullpen, these are the guys he has to work with.

So far, I like Rojas.

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Heh, I think he was a Brodie client previously but I can't imagine Brodie would sabotage himself by signing a guy he knew was injured (just because he was a former client).

I think Lowrie was not hurt until halfway through spring training in 2019. Just don't think there was a big market for him, that's why he lasted so long.

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I’m not a prospect guy but what I’ve read, besides the obvious Cano trade, is that he gave up some real talent for Stroman and that some of his other trades have decent level guys In it. 

the cano trade is beating a dead horse but the domino effect fro that trade is mind boggling If and it’s a big if Cano’s salary affected his spending ability in wheeler 

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, Philc1 said:

You guys should fire Van Wagonen and bring back Minaya.  Rojas has to go to he stinks.  Bring back Bobby V

That ship has passed my friend.... stick to the Yankees thread. I know there’s not a lot of action there but don’t troll the Mets thread! lebron james basketball GIF
?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

60 game season and I’ve already tuned out.  The Marlins are 7-1.  I hate sports.

Of course they are.  They are the team that rubs it in the Mets’ face the most because they almost try to lose yet they’ve been a thorn in our side for a long time now.  And they the same number of  World Series titles (2) as us yet they’ve barely ever spent (though, of course, the one time they did, they won it all). 

On 7/30/2020 at 6:16 PM, Lith said:

On a side note, seem like every time that I watch Asdrubal Cabrera play since the Mets traded him, he hits.  Another RBI double this afternoon.  

Every single time.  Another HR tonight.

Edit: followed by a couple of doubles and 2 more RBI.

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Every single time.  Another HR tonight.

Edit: followed by a couple of doubles and 2 more RBI.

Matz is as soft as they come. Thankfully now, this season is not 162 games and we don’t have to endure prolonged torture.

Get new ownership in the fall and let’s start the reset on the franchise. 

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Matz is as soft as they come. Thankfully now, this season is not 162 games and we don’t have to endure prolonged torture.

Maybe the biggest pussy that has ever worn the uniform. Had 4 good months in 2015 and has been nothing more than a spoiled brat punk ever since. The worst body language I've ever seen in a pro baseball player.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey, he could be a hall of famer if he didn't give up a ton of key hits and runs and loooong homeruns at the worst times and was able to pitch more than a few innings a game ... 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Gsellman starting tonight. Got a new pitch too

Wouldn't it be great if he somehow steps into a permanent role?

Eric Thames is in the lineup for the Nats. Still holds the one year and career record for HR's by a player with the same last name as a charachter from a Genesis song

Please reach out to SABR with this stat.  Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:23 AM, section314 said:

Maybe the biggest pussy that has ever worn the uniform. Had 4 good months in 2015 and has been nothing more than a spoiled brat punk ever since. The worst body language I've ever seen in a pro baseball player.

Matz definitely has a temper but I don't mind it because it shows he cares.  To me, Robinson Cano's body language last year was far worse (e.g. when he didn't run out ground balls)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Nido!!  Another great start by our young rookie. Glad to see the offense coming to life and the BP starting to get their roles defined. Diaz must stay in the 8th. Can’t handle the closers role

Gimenez and Peterson have both been very nice surprises this year. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And deGrom is scratched with a blister. 

Just the way this season has gone.  2 straight wins, bats getting going, 7th spot in the playoff standings.  A couple of young guys playing better.  Just as you are beginning to find some reason for optimism, then deGrom scratched.  I saw it was neck stiffness and not the blister. 

Walker Lockett getting the start tonight, ugh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Just the way this season has gone.  2 straight wins, bats getting going, 7th spot in the playoff standings.  A couple of young guys playing better.  Just as you are beginning to find some reason for optimism, then deGrom scratched.  I saw it was neck stiffness and not the blister. 

Walker Lockett getting the start tonight, ugh.

source.gif

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Man, is Wilson Ramos mailing it in this year. Mets need a catcher in the worst way for next season. Hopefully the Phillies struggle signing Realmuto, and the Mets can swoop in. He is a former Van Wagenen client.

Pssst-Cano is hitting, and the bat looks quick. 

If Nido has figured it out, maybe the answer. Very good defensively. isn't one of our higher rated prospects a catcher?

3 hours ago, section314 said:

If Nido has figured it out, maybe the answer. Very good defensively. isn't one of our higher rated prospects a catcher?

Yes, Mets have a young catcher in the system but he is at least 2-3e years away. Sign Realmuto on a 5 year deal, and if the kid is the real thing, he has someone to lean on as a rookie.

• Sympathy 1