2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

So far, from a short view, I am impressed with Rojas. 

The biggest thing I like is that he does not give star treatment. He has not been afraid to sit a struggling Rosario. His biggest star in the lineup, Alonso, he has not been afraid to drop him to the 6 hole. Nido and Ramos have split the last 6 games, as Ramos appears indifferent to playing.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So far, from a short view, I am impressed with Rojas. 

The biggest thing I like is that he does not give star treatment. He has not been afraid to sit a struggling Rosario. His biggest star in the lineup, Alonso, he has not been afraid to drop him to the 6 hole. Nido and Ramos have split the last 6 games, as Ramos appears indifferent to playing.

Good post. Agree with you. I also like his mentality to just focus on winning today's game. Period. Also, to be fair, awfully tough to really evaluate any manager in this crazy season, especially a rookie.

• Upvote 2

On 8/4/2020 at 8:22 AM, JiF said:

I just heard a fun stat: if the Mets scored just 4 runs in each of Jacob DeGroms last 64 started he would be 55-9.  

Jake just had his 16th scoreless outing without a win.  16!!!!!!!  It's actually challenging to wrap my brain around that even though every Mets fan shouldnt be surprised.   He's going to end up with some of the craziest stats like this the league has ever seen.  Unreal.

That said, legit, I dont care what anyone says, Jake is in the all time great conversation.  He's un****ing believable.  When you start to add up these types of stats that are out there about him, back to back CY Youngs, dude is an all time great.  Bottom line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Why are you guys trying Diaz at closer again?  You should be sticking with Lugo at closer and Diaz in the 8th where he was pitching better

Because the starting pitching has been decimated.

-Syndergaard out for year

-Stroman opted out

-Wacha injured

-Peterson injured

-Matz ineffective

The good news is other relievers in the pen have stepped up to help fill the void Lugo will create. Whether Diaz can now be effective in the 9th is another story.

Mets probably looking at Lugo to see if he can be a starter next year too. It is what he wants to do and the Mets need starting pitching for next year.

Mets are not going anywhere this year, so might as well try stuff.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No baseball this weekend because your dumbass batting coach couldn’t avoid getting infected with the hoax. Thanks guys.

I'm glad you could deign from your Yankees' throne to speak with us common folk in the Mets thread.  I feel honored by your presence.  On behalf of the organization, my deepest apologies to the Yankees and indeed the world for disrupting this totally legitimate season's title run by the great Yankee franchise.  All things revolve around the Yankees, after all.

• Post of the Week 2

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm glad you could deign from your Yankees' throne to speak with us common folk in the Mets thread.  I feel honored by your presence.  On behalf of the organization, my deepest apologies to the Yankees and indeed the world for disrupting this totally legitimate season's title run by the great Yankee franchise.  All things revolve around the Yankees, after all.

I wanted my three cupcake games against the Mets 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I wanted my three cupcake games against the Mets 

Pretty ordinary recent results against a supposed cupcake:

BoxScore 06/08/18 L New York Yankees 4, Mets 1 deGrom (L, 4-1) .
BoxScore 06/09/18 L New York Yankees 4, Mets 3 Swarzak (L, 0-1) .
BoxScore 06/10/18 W Mets 2, New York Yankees 0 Lugo (W, 2-1) .
BoxScore 07/20/18 W Mets 7, New York Yankees 5 Syndergaard (W, 6-1) .
BoxScore 07/21/18 L New York Yankees 7, Mets 6 Matz (L, 4-8) .
BoxScore 08/13/18 W Mets 8, New York Yankees 5 deGrom (W, 7-7) .
Totals for 2018: 3 wins, 3 losses
BoxScore 06/11/19 L New York Yankees 12, Mets 5 Wheeler (L, 5-4) .
BoxScore 06/11/19 W Mets 10, New York Yankees 4 Vargas (W, 3-3) .
BoxScore 07/02/19 W Mets 4, New York Yankees 2 Lugo (W, 4-2) .
BoxScore 07/03/19 L New York Yankees 5, Mets 1 Vargas (L, 3-4) .
Totals for 2019: 2 wins, 2 losses

13 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Why isn't deGrom pitching today ? He can go 7 innings . And , now , he misses the Yankee series . Way to go Luis .

deGrom threw his pen on Monday. Your pen session is scheduled 2 days before your scheduled start. deGrom had not thrown since his start last week.

The real Metsy thing to do would have been to throw deGrom off regular schedule and have an arm injury as a result. 

This season is catastrophic enough. Ruining deGrom for a start in a meaningless game against the Yankees would have been off the charts catastrophic. The Mets actually did the right thing. Let that sink in.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

deGrom threw his pen on Monday. Your pen session is scheduled 2 days before your scheduled start. deGrom had not thrown since his start last week.

The real Metsy thing to do would have been to throw deGrom off regular schedule and have an arm injury as a result. 

This season is catastrophic enough. Ruining deGrom for a start in a meaningless game against the Yankees would have been off the charts catastrophic. The Mets actually did the right thing. Let that sink in.

Stop babying the players . Lugo could and should have gone more than 3 innings last night .

Just now, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Stop babying the players . Lugo could and should have gone more than 3 innings last night .

The arm is a very temperamental thing. It is used to routine, cadence and balance. When was the last time that Lugo went inning, rest, inning, rest, inning rest, inning (meaning pitching into the 4th inning)? It was July of 2018.

Read the book "The Arm" by Jeff Passan if you want perspective on how pitcher's arms are temperamental.

Lugo already has a balky elbow. No reason to push him into something that he hasn't done in over 2 years and risk injury.

The Mets erred on the side of caution, and I am fine with that. This season is lost. they are done. It is also a sham of a season.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The arm is a very temperamental thing. It is used to routine, cadence and balance. When was the last time that Lugo went inning, rest, inning, rest, inning rest, inning (meaning pitching into the 4th inning)? It was July of 2018.

Read the book "The Arm" by Jeff Passan if you want perspective on how pitcher's arms are temperamental.

Lugo already has a balky elbow. No reason to push him into something that he hasn't done in over 2 years and risk injury.

The Mets erred on the side of caution, and I am fine with that. This season is lost. they are done. It is also a sham of a season.

Jeff Passan went to Syracuse as a journalism major . What does he know about arms ? All major leager's are babied now . The WOOSIFICATION OF MLB .

51 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Jeff Passan went to Syracuse as a journalism major . What does he know about arms ? All major leager's are babied now . The WOOSIFICATION OF MLB .

If you read the book, what he did was research. Researched arm injuries and made causal effect summations.

Much of what he stated in that book has been adopted by many MLB clubs. 

21 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

WOOSIFICATION OF MLB .

I will tell you one thing, I learned a lot from this new modeling of pitchers workload. Unfortunately, it was too late. My son did not have a heavy workload as sophomore in high school. Lo and behold, he became the ace in his junior year and was relied upon heavily, using up his 100 pitches in each outing. His workload increased by 5-fold including those innings and the innings we pitched him in travel ball to get him to his commitment. 

SAure enough, his arm came up lame the next year. And he is just getting back to normal (2 years later). You call it wussification, I call it smart management.

In the mlb, where pitchers have salaries in the 100's of millions, you had better treat those arms with care. Or, you will suffer the consequences. Just check out what Dusty Baker did to some arms before these concepts came to light.

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will tell you one thing, I learned a lot from this new modeling of pitchers workload. Unfortunately, it was too late. My son did not have a heavy workload as sophomore in high school. Lo and behold, he became the ace in his junior year and was relied upon heavily, using up his 100 pitches in each outing. His workload increased by 5-fold including those innings and the innings we pitched him in travel ball to get him to his commitment. 

SAure enough, his arm came up lame the next year. And he is just getting back to normal (2 years later). You call it wussification, I call it smart management.

In the mlb, where pitchers have salaries in the 100's of millions, you had better treat those arms with care. Or, you will suffer the consequences. Just check out what Dusty Baker did to some arms before these concepts came to light.

WOOSIFICATION OF MLB .

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mark Prior, for one. Guy was basically untouchable for two years. Then he couldn't get guys out in a slow pitch softball league.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And Kerry Wood

I hope your son will be able to get back to his normal velocity, and enjoy playing again. This always reminds me of what a great pitching coach Rube Walker was for the Mets. Seaver, Koosman, Ryan and Tug all pitched into their 40's, and were still effective.

• Upvote 1