2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Mets got Degrom extension done! Thank the gods!

$137.5 over 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal, both sides.   5 year extension, which isn't crazy long for a 30 year old.    He should be pitching great for most of that contract.  

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

Good deal, both sides.   5 year extension, which isn't crazy long for a 30 year old.    He should be pitching great for most of that contract.  

Whaddaya know......  Starting to look like someone over there in Flushing looks like they have a clue about what they're doing.  Finally.  A well constructed roster,  some youth and depth in the lineup, a bullpen that looks like it can finally close out a game.  Pass the Kool Aid, please.

• Upvote 3

The deGrom news seems to be a good fit for both the player and the club. Hopefully it sends a message and is a harbinger of future deals and spending patterns.

What may be sobering news this week is that the Wilpon family have exercised a right to purchase back a 12% share of ownership stock from a couple of media companies (if you recall, they had to sell a piece of the ownership stake immediately after the Madoff fiasco, to remain solvent).

The valuation, and this was based on presumably an open market bid, valued the total value of the club at $1.5B. This had to be a disappointing valuation, as Forbes estimated it least year to be $2.1B. 

So, the Wilpons seemingly got "value" in a buy back, but, the overall valuation may have been a surprise to them. 

Does this make them a little less "liquid" in terms of ability to shell out big contracts???? Do they continue a conservative approach???? History does not treat these questions well.

And we can only assume dorky and meddlesome Jeff will only continue to be involved more and more.

All of that said, and it is of course no control we as fans have, BVW has appeared to be a breath of fresh air in an organization that was stale and  outdaetd in team-building approach.

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, chirorob said:

$137 mil for arguably the best pitcher in baseball that’s an excellent deal

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

$137 mil for arguably the best pitcher in baseball that’s an excellent deal

From the New York Post today:

NL Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom and the Mets have agreed to a $137.5 million, five-year contract, a deal that includes $52.5 million deferred into the 2030s.

New York and deGrom had agreed in January to a $17 million, one-year deal, and he was on track to be eligible for free agency after the 2020 season. The deal announced Monday guarantees an additional $120.5 million over four seasons and includes a team option for 2024 that if exercised would raise the total to $170 million over six years, including $67.5 million in deferred payments.

image.gif.7d1e3eb96fc5d15d7158beaa9ccd8a21.gif

DeGrom’s new deal calls for a $10 million signing bonus, half due on Jan. 2 and the other half on Jan. 4, 2021. He gets a $7 million salary this season, $23 million in 2020, $33.5 million each in 2021 and 2022 and $30.5 million in 2023. The Mets have a $32.5 million option for 2024.

DeGrom’s contract provides for $12 million of his 2020 salary to be deferred, $13.5 million of 2021, $15 million of 2022, $12 million of 2023 and, if the option is exercised, $15 million of 2024. The deferred money is payable on July 1 in the 15th year after it was earned, making the first deferred payment due in 2035 and the option year money due in 2039.

The deferred money recalls the pact with Bobby Bonilla, who gets $1.19 million every July 1 through 2035.

The Red Sox are acting similarly with Chris Sale in a deal that is comparable to deGrom’s. Sale’s deal contains $50 million in deferred money, $10 million each season. That money will be due starting every June 30 in the 15th year after it was earned.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

From the New York Post today:

NL Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom and the Mets have agreed to a $137.5 million, five-year contract, a deal that includes $52.5 million deferred into the 2030s.

New York and deGrom had agreed in January to a $17 million, one-year deal, and he was on track to be eligible for free agency after the 2020 season. The deal announced Monday guarantees an additional $120.5 million over four seasons and includes a team option for 2024 that if exercised would raise the total to $170 million over six years, including $67.5 million in deferred payments.

image.gif.7d1e3eb96fc5d15d7158beaa9ccd8a21.gif

DeGrom’s new deal calls for a $10 million signing bonus, half due on Jan. 2 and the other half on Jan. 4, 2021. He gets a $7 million salary this season, $23 million in 2020, $33.5 million each in 2021 and 2022 and $30.5 million in 2023. The Mets have a $32.5 million option for 2024.

DeGrom’s contract provides for $12 million of his 2020 salary to be deferred, $13.5 million of 2021, $15 million of 2022, $12 million of 2023 and, if the option is exercised, $15 million of 2024. The deferred money is payable on July 1 in the 15th year after it was earned, making the first deferred payment due in 2035 and the option year money due in 2039.

The deferred money recalls the pact with Bobby Bonilla, who gets $1.19 million every July 1 through 2035.

The Red Sox are acting similarly with Chris Sale in a deal that is comparable to deGrom’s. Sale’s deal contains $50 million in deferred money, $10 million each season. That money will be due starting every June 30 in the 15th year after it was earned.

That's smart be the athlete.   How much cash does someone really need, today?

Get is spread out.   I wonder what the interest is on the money?

• Sympathy 1

Don't see how Opening Day could have gone much better.  deGrom picking up where he left off, Cano with the HR and 2 RBIs, Diaz with a perfect 9th.  Just the way Brodie envisioned it with his offseason moves.

Only thing that would have been better is if I wasn't stuck in my office watching the 9th inning on my phone.  Can't have everything I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

What a beautiful game.  Robinson Cano is the leader we wanted Cespedes to be.  If only he played once in a while.  McNeil makes a big play at third base.  deGrom is well, deGrom.  Started out looking for" it", and when he did find "it" game over.

Excellent defense, good moves by Mickey Callahan.  G-d bless National League Baseball.  Lugo was efficiently brilliant.  Familia was his old "tightrope" walking self, but still has great stuff.  Diaz sure throws hard.  They beat the second best pitcher in baseball, with the best pitcher in baseball.

All the "experts" are under rating this baseball team.  Maybe we make them sorry.  In any event this is going to be a fun season to watch.  Not last years Mets, that is already clear.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What a beautiful game.  Robinson Cano is the leader we wanted Cespedes to be.  If only he played once in a while.  McNeil makes a big play at third base.  deGrom is well, deGrom.  Started out looking for" it", and when he did find "it" game over.

Excellent defense, good moves by Mickey Callahan.  G-d bless National League Baseball.  Lugo was efficiently brilliant.  Familia was his old "tightrope" walking self, but still has great stuff.  Diaz sure throws hard.  They beat the second best pitcher in baseball, with the best pitcher in baseball.

All the "experts" are under rating this baseball team.  Maybe we make them sorry.  In any event this is going to be a fun season to watch.  Not last years Mets, that is already clear.

It was one game. Mets have been one of the strongest March/April teams in the league for the past 4-5 years. Last year they set a franchise record for April. Come June, if they're relatively healthy and not bombing spectacularly on a nightly basis and barely hovering around .500, we'll know they have something. For now I think healthy skepticism is the way to go.

• Upvote 2

Lugo perfect in the 7th (3 Ks).  If that continues, that's HUGE.   And if Familia can keep things on the right track, we'd have a rock solid bullpen for the late innings.  While normally I'd love to have seen a little more offense, it was Scherzer so I'll absolutely declare victory and move on.

I'll hope that Trae Turner's 3 steals were more about Turner than about Ramos.  We'll sort that out in the next few weeks.

Not a great job by Rosario on that steal attempt in the 9th.  Again, hopefully that gets fixed.

Overall, what a nice way to start the season.  I honestly can't remember the last time we lost on opening day.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It was one game. Mets have been one of the strongest March/April teams in the league for the past 4-5 years. Last year they set a franchise record for April. Come June, if they're relatively healthy and not bombing spectacularly on a nightly basis and barely hovering around .500, we'll know they have something. For now I think healthy skepticism is the way to go.

Nitpicking here, but I think when you lose, you can declare 'healthy skepticism'.  When you win, it's more like 'tempered optimism'.  Let those endorphins flow a little.  Enjoy the moment.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Lugo perfect in the 7th (3 Ks).  If that continues, that's HUGE.   And if Familia can keep things on the right track, we'd have a rock solid bullpen for the late innings.  While normally I'd love to have seen a little more offense, it was Scherzer so I'll absolutely declare victory and move on.

I'll hope that Trae Turner's 3 steals were more about Turner than about Ramos.  We'll sort that out in the next few weeks.

Not a great job by Rosario on that steal attempt in the 9th.  Again, hopefully that gets fixed.

Overall, what a nice way to start the season.  I honestly can't remember the last time we lost on opening day.  

If I'm not mistaken, Turner is the 2nd fastest dude in the league...

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If I'm not mistaken, Turner is the 2nd fastest dude in the league...

You may be right.  That's why I'm giving Ramos a pass although 3-3 was a little painful.  Still, it's not like Mets fans remember what a catcher who can hold runners looks like anyway...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You may be right.  That's why I'm giving Ramos a pass although 3-3 was a little painful.  Still, it's not like Mets fans remember what a catcher who can hold runners looks like anyway...

hahaha - the ones to second were just good breaks that I'm pretty confident nobody throws out.  He at least had a decent throw to 1st that if Alonso was in better position might have been able to drop a better tag..  The one that stung was to third but who saw that coming vs. a lefty?

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He got tremendous jumps on the pitcher.  One swipe tag was dropped.  One throw was high.  He is one dangerous man on the base paths.  I think he is the best base stealer in baseball.  Ramos will be fine.  Great blocking the ball today.  May have saved a run. Rosario on the other hand got a poor jump and his slide was atrocious.  "Learning to fly."

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He got tremendous jumps on the pitcher.  One swipe tag was dropped.  One throw was high.  He is one dangerous man on the base paths.  I think he is the best base stealer in baseball.  Ramos will be fine.  Great blocking the ball today.  May have saved a run. Rosario on the other hand got a poor jump and his slide was atrocious.  "Learning to fly."

Looked like Rosario slid straight into the bag instead of hooking around the tag.  I'm not sure I had a good angle on it, but it did look a bit like "HERE'S MY LEG!"

• Haha 2