2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

On 3/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, nycdan said:

I honestly can't remember the last time we lost on opening day.  

When we opened in KC the season after losing the series.  I can understand why you would block it out of your mind. 

My son lives a coule hours north of KC.  We were thinking of going to the opener that year, but there is no way we could have sat through their ring celebration.  We did the NCAA Tourney instead.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

When we opened in KC the season after losing the series.  I can understand why you would block it out of your mind. 

My son lives a coule hours north of KC.  We were thinking of going to the opener that year, but there is no way we could have sat through their ring celebration.  We did the NCAA Tourney instead.

I couldn't even watch it on Television.  Made me sick.  I totally get where you're coming from.  The New York Mets have the best winning percentage in all of Baseball on Opening Day .  Wish every day was opening day.  

Best Opening Day winning percentage
  1. Mets: .655 (38-20) ...
  2. Mariners: .605 (26-17)
  3. Orioles: .593 (70-48-1)
  4. Yankees: .560 (65-51-1)
  5. Rockies: .556 (15-12)
  6. Giants: .551 (75-61-1) ...
  7. Cubs: .549 (78-64-2)
  8. D-backs: .545 (12-10)

It has become apparent to me that when the Wilpon's  hired Brodie Van Wagenen, they made a deal with him to allow him to run the ballclub his way.

This brings us to Pete Alonso.  This is a kid who was perturbed last season when he wasn't brought up to the majors, although he felt he deserved at least a September call up.  He was right.  When Van Wagenen was hired, he took this young man out to dinner and assured him, he'd have a chance to make the team out of Spring Training.  This would have never happened under the previous regime. Alonso proceeded to do everything in his power to improve, and tore in up in Florida.  He worked hard on improving his defense too.

Still, there was a concern that he would be left behind when the Mets took the team up north, because of the "years of service" clause in major league baseball.  Despite the fact that the Wilpons have a well earned reputation for being "careful" with money, he deservedly made the opening day roster. Again, this would never have happened, under the stewardship of Sandy Alderson.

Alonso had the reputation of being a poor fielder and there was talk that he was better suited to be a DH in the American League. I feared he was going to be traded.  Those fears were unfounded.  Brodie Van Wagenen had confidence in this kid, obviously. In the past he may have been traded.  Not any more.   Now he is here, and we are lucky. Looks like he will be our first baseman for a long time.

Jeff McNeil, another case in point.  Despite hitting .342 in the minors last year, including .368 in Las Vegas, the Mets with their notoriously weak major league lineup, reluctantly brought him up at midseason.  The reason for their reluctance to promote him?  His fielding wasn't Major League caliber.  Are you ******* kidding me?  Over the second half of the season he played a more than respectable second, and third base, and was their best hitter.  His future was less than secure in the offseason.  His name was brought up in a few trade scenarios.  Fortunately the Mets were smart enough to hole on to him, and this "non fielding" secondary prospect is the most versatile player on the roster and showing himself to be a spark plug and  one hell of a hitter.

Things seem to be different around the Mets since Brodie Van Wagenen came to town.   Even the Jacob deGrom negotiation was pretty painless. If the Wilpons can learn, and the Johnsons can learn, maybe all is not lost, after all??? 

One last thing.  Noah Syndergaard is a very talented pitcher.  He has the nastiest slider in baseball. And a plus, plus fastball.  He may very well turn out to be elite.  He is also not Jacob deGrom.  A very different heart beats in deGrom's chest.  We should all enjoy this talent for as long as we can.  It may be a while before we see another one like him.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

It has become apparent to me that when the Wilpon's  hired Brodie Van Wagenen, they made a deal with him to allow him to run the ballclub his way.

This brings us to Pete Alonso.  This is a kid who was perturbed last season when he wasn't brought up to the majors, although he felt he deserved at least a September call up.  He was right.  When Van Wagenen was hired, he took this young man out to dinner and assured him, he'd have a chance to make the team out of Spring Training.  This would have never happened under the previous regime. Alonso proceeded to do everything in his power to improve, and tore in up in Florida.  He worked hard on improving his defense too.

Still, there was a concern that he would be left behind when the Mets took the team up north, because of the "years of service" clause in major league baseball.  Despite the fact that the Wilpons have a well earned reputation for being "careful" with money, he deservedly made the opening day roster. Again, this would never have happened, under the stewardship of Sandy Alderson.

Alonso had the reputation of being a poor fielder and there was talk that he was better suited to be a DH in the American League. I feared he was going to be traded.  Those fears were unfounded.  Brodie Van Wagenen had confidence in this kid, obviously. In the past he may have been traded.  Not any more.   Now he is here, and we are lucky. Looks like he will be our first baseman for a long time.

Jeff McNeil, another case in point.  Despite hitting .342 in the minors last year, including .368 in Las Vegas, the Mets with their notoriously weak major league lineup, reluctantly brought him up at midseason.  The reason for their reluctance to promote him?  His fielding wasn't Major League caliber.  Are you ******* kidding me?  Over the second half of the season he played a more than respectable second, and third base, and was their best hitter.  His future was less than secure in the offseason.  His name was brought up in a few trade scenarios.  Fortunately the Mets were smart enough to hole on to him, and this "non fielding" secondary prospect is the most versatile player on the roster and showing himself to be a spark plug and  one hell of a hitter.

Things seem to be different around the Mets since Brodie Van Wagenen came to town.   Even the Jacob deGrom negotiation was pretty painless. If the Wilpons can learn, and the Johnsons can learn, maybe all is not lost, after all??? 

One last thing.  Noah Syndergaard is a very talented pitcher.  He has the nastiest slider in baseball. And a plus, plus fastball.  He may very well turn out to be elite.  He is also not Jacob deGrom.  A very different heart beats in deGrom's chest.  We should all enjoy this talent for as long as we can.  It may be a while before we see another one like him.

Agree on BVW. Hopefully this will continue.

One thought on Alonso, we have to hope that there is not some movement to send him to AAA, when Frazier comes off the IL. That would still allow them to get credit on his time served designation. Of course, if he keeps hitting, it will be hard to do.

On Syndergaard, his stuff is filthy, but he still has to learn how to pitch. deGrom learned last year, with the whole launch angle BS, to pitch up in the zone with the fastball at select times. Syndergaard has been stubborn to adjust. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

@joenamathwouldn'tcry

hell of a write-up. Appreciate everything you discussed. Thanks.

Tough loss today. I like the way they fought back today. Enjoying the young kids so far and looking for Nimmo and Conforto to start stroking.

It's funny, after 50+ years you kind of get a feel for games like these.  I really didn't expect them to win today.  They didn't let me down.  Seemed a little bit flat.  Wheeler wasn't particularly sharp, although he nearly pitched well enough.  That Home Run ball was a pretty good pitch.  Sometimes they even get you with the good ones.  Oh well.  The fight in them was impressive, though.  Felt like he should have pulled the lefty out.  Familia was ready. 

Conforto has been somewhat surprising with his opposite field hitting.  Maybe he's learning.  Hope so, it will go a long way towards making him a more finished product.  He also needs to learn to lay off the off speed pitches down and out of the strike zone.  That's his biggest flaw and challenge.  If an when he learns to work the pitcher, he will be a dangerous hitter.  I think Cano can help him with that.  Another added bonus with having him on this team.  Nimmo needs to relax a little bit.  Seems to be a little anxious early in the season.  His eye is still good, so I'm not that worried.  Alonso really is something so far.  Wow.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:11 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Great post buddy!

I agree with everything you said here. I think McNeil is another Daniel Murphy, just a really professional hitter. That 2 iron Alonso hit off the wall on Saturday... Wow! Watch out for Conforto this year. I told you last week I think he's really going to become a legit star this year. I'm thinking he going to explode and go on a 4-5 year run of putting up MVP type numbers offensively..

Couple of notes from the Washington series. Familia is not for the faint of heart. I have a feeling the 8th inning could become Lugo's spot eventually. I'm loving our lineup, and Davis and Smith are very nice additions. The offense was really good. I read a story about how Chili Davis has been a huge influence on the approach our hitters are now taking with their AB's. It seems like they're really looking to attack the pitcher now, rather then that circa mid 2000's Red Sox method of taking so many pitches. Nice to see.

As far as the Nats, they looked pretty good, but their bullpen is shaky until they get to the 9th. Trea Turner is a phenomenal ballplayer. What a talent he is.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah, he's a stud.  I just feel like he feasts on us.  

And its not just at the plate.  Have we ever thrown him out on the base paths.  The guy runs at will on us; every time he is on base its at least a double.

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

And its not just at the plate.  Have we ever thrown him out on the base paths.  The guy runs at will on us; every time he is on base its at least a double.

That’s what I’m saying.  He loves him some Mets. 

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yankees may well be looking for a 3rd baseman soon, and there is familiarity there. Then put Lowery there, as I just don't trust Davis' defense at this time.

While I would gladly give Todd Frazier to any team for the proverbial "bag of balls" at this point just to clear the position for better players currently on the Mets roster, McNeil, Lowery, and the occasional J.D. Davis. 

The Yankees will not be interested in Todd Frazier.  They have D.J. LeMahieu to fill the spot.  He is already a Yankmee, and is, at this point, most likely a better player than Todd Frazier.  Our best hope for moving Frazier is to wait until some team gets really desperate, or at the trade deadline.  My feeling is that we will be stuck with him for the rest of the season.  In hindsight, this is the reason I didn't like the signing in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Mets are playing some very entertaining baseball this season, but if this first week is any indication of what to expect the rest of the way, they may take a few years off my life.  But it will be worth it if they keep winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

DeGrom was sooo good last night.  Soooo good.  14 K's, 2 shutouts now on the season.  Yes, I think he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Was kind of funny though, I was texting with my brother during the game like; if our bullpen can stay healthy and it comes together the way they envisioned, this team could be a very tough team to beat with the Mets starting rotation.   And then the Mets gave up 4 in the 8th to the Marlins.  lol

Too bad the NL East is the best division in baseball...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

DeGrom was sooo good last night.  Soooo good.  14 K's, 2 shutouts now on the season.  Yes, I think he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Was kind of funny though, I was texting with my brother during the game like; if our bullpen can stay healthy and it comes together the way they envisioned, this team could be a very tough team to beat with the Mets starting rotation.   And then the Mets gave up 4 in the 8th to the Marlins.  lol

Too bad the NL East is the best division in baseball...

Been kind of lucky that the bullpen has not blown any games.  Yet.  I think we have given up 11 9th inning runs in 7 games.  Can't win consistently that way, but at least you also cannot expect the pen to be this bad all year.  Between Lugo, Gsellman, Familia and Diaz, we should be a lot better than we have looked; but its early.  Bound to get better.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Been kind of lucky that the bullpen has not blown any games.  Yet.  I think we have given up 11 9th inning runs in 7 games.  Can't win consistently that way, but at least you also cannot expect the pen to be this bad all year.  Between Lugo, Gsellman, Familia and Diaz, we should be a lot better than we have looked; but its early.  Bound to get better.

The key word was how they "envisioned" the bullpen coming together.  I'm fully expecting the worst.

Go Mets! 

20 hours ago, JiF said:

Strasburg is such a streaky pitcher.  Gets shelled at Nationals Park and pitches a 2 hitter at Citi.

I would have preferred that sent deGrom to the mound for the home opener at Citi! Fans would have gone crazy welcoming back Jacob on a long-term deal!

Instead, Mets offense stinks it up.... you needed the 0.00 ERA STUD out there!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would have preferred that sent deGrom to the mound for the home opener at Citi! Fans would have gone crazy welcoming back Jacob on a long-term deal!

Instead, Mets offense stinks it up.... you needed the 0.00 ERA STUD out there!

True.  Not that Noah is a bad consolation prize but I'm with ya! 

That said, I just learned what the league did to them the night before.  Apparently the league administer drug tests before they left Miami and wouldnt let them leave till they were done.  The flight didnt get off the ground till 11:30pm.  Landing at 3am in the morning with a 1pm home opener?  

That's ****ed up.   

This franchise never ceases to "Amaze" me.  Years change, players change, managers change, the competition changes, and yet the "agita quotient" always seems to remain the same.  Just like our Jets.  It's NEVER  easy.  Guess that's just the way it goes.

Beautiful win today.  Made me want to slit my wrists, but a beautiful win nonetheless.  Matz was his usual maddening self.  Some good signs, some red flags.  Same with Familia.  "The aggravation twins". This bullpen doesn't seem like a finished product, just yet.   Diaz is a real closer.  Nasty stuff. We are blessed.  Conforto is really starting to "get it".  Hope this time it's for good.  Going to have to bench Nimmo for a few games, for perspective's sake.  He's way out of synch.

Mickey Callaway may never be a "Savant" as far as managing the game, but he is a good guy and the players really like him.  Hope we don't have to fire him.  I really like this team.  Hope my nerves can take it...…..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, JiF said:

True.  Not that Noah is a bad consolation prize but I'm with ya! 

That said, I just learned what the league did to them the night before.  Apparently the league administer drug tests before they left Miami and wouldnt let them leave till they were done.  The flight didnt get off the ground till 11:30pm.  Landing at 3am in the morning with a 1pm home opener?  

That's ****ed up.   

Yeah, by the sounds of it Dom Smith couldn’t fill the sample bottle. 11:30 at night I’m usually getting up to fill a gallon jug! ? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This franchise never ceases to "Amaze" me.  Years change, players change, managers change, the competition changes, and yet the "agita quotient" always seems to remain the same.  Just like our Jets.  It's NEVER  easy.  Guess that's just the way it goes.

Beautiful win today.  Made me want to slit my wrists, but a beautiful win nonetheless.  Matz was his usual maddening self.  Some good signs, some red flags.  Same with Familia.  "The aggravation twins". This bullpen doesn't seem like a finished product, just yet.   Diaz is a real closer.  Nasty stuff. We are blessed.  Conforto is really starting to "get it".  Hope this time it's for good.  Going to have to bench Nimmo for a few games, for perspective's sake.  He's way out of synch.

Mickey Callaway may never be a "Savant" as far as managing the game, but he is a good guy and the players really like him.  Hope we don't have to fire him.  I really like this team.  Hope my nerves can take it...…..

There was a point during the Broxton at bat that the cameraman had a closeup of Braxton and I knew he was going to drive in the go ahead run. Fouled off a couple of pitches and you knew he was locked in on the Nats pitcher. They should rest Nimmo a few days to take the pressure off and let Broxton get some PT. Guy’s a speed machine on the base paths and starting to stroke.

Solid win!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Biggest difference this year, though, is the approach at the plate.  It is such a pleasure to see guys work pitchers, foul pitches off, go the other way.  It is not all HR or stirkeout like the last couple of seasons.  Just a bit over a week in, but it looks like Chili Davis was a great hire.  We are still strking out a lot, but the approach at the plate is so much better.  Same strong starting pitching as last year, same nerve-wracking bullpen, but the offense looks so much better and less one dimensional. 

Hopefully they keep it up.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That was painful to watch, but at least Nimmo looks like he's breaking out of his funk. The thing that's encouraging about a guy like him slumping like that is you know somewhere on the back end it's going to even out. Hopefully he wakes up for this upcoming stretch of 6/9 against Philly.

Didn't watch.  When it was 6-1 I'd had my fill.  Chalked it up to a bad day.  Went golfing instead.  A different kind of suffering.  Thought they'd mount some kind of a comeback.  Good to see.  If the game had gone a little differently, they may have had a chance to pull it out.

The ball to Left Field that got over McNeil's head was a killer.  Set the tone for the rest of the game.  Still not sure he had any chance on that ball.  Misjudged it for sure.

The one thing that's been established in this early part of the season is that this is going to be one tough division. The best in baseball. I don't think that's an exaggeration.  Funny how over the course of a few seasons, the landscape in baseball has changed.