2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So is Mickey Callaway good now or just "meh"?  Honest question.

Calloway is a middling manager.

On the positive side, he seems to have a great rapport with his players, and they seem to want to play for him. I believe he is a decent communicator inside the clubhouse.

On the flip side, his strategy is poor and he he does not seem to have great feel for game situations. Riggleman has helped him in that regard. The unsung hero in all of this has been Regan and since he was named the pitching staff has flipped and lived to their potential. Calloway was supposed to be a pitching savant.

Most recently Calloway has seemed to push the action a little bit more, and things have worked.

Again, middling. Thank God we don't have Gabe Kapler. That guy is hard to take.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh.  Give him credit for keeping the team together and focused, for sure.  But as exciting as this is, they're beating the dregs of the MLB right now.

I legit predicted this in thread a few weeks ago.  And he hasnt had to make any decisions.  They're mashing the ball and he's been getting great starting matched with comfortable leads.  It wont be so easy in the next coming series, at least I dont think. 

All that said, when both starting pitching and mashing come together, it's a tough to beat recipe.   So I'm a little more optimistic going into this stretch than I was when I posted...

They may yet rip our hearts out, but there is no way you can't be optimistic.  Alonzo and Conforto are going full beast mode.

What kills me is looking back at all those games the bullpen threw away.  Give me back any 3 of them and we are in the wild card.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They may yet rip our hearts out, but there is no way you can't be optimistic.  Alonzo and Conforto are going full beast mode.

What kills me is looking back at all those games the bullpen threw away.  Give me back any 3 of them and we are in the wild card.

I cautiously optimistic it's not a tease.  As I said, it's all coming together.  When they were in the downward spiral, I was the one that kept saying this team is better than this.

The biggest reason I'm optimistic is because Rosario/McNeil/Davis sprinkled with some others here and there have really been carrying the bats since the break.  Now it's those 3 with the 2 most explosive bats on the team getting hot...it's a tough line up to get through right now even with a couple of easy outs a night.  Throw in Stroman, the Mets have a great rotation.  It's a good recipe if they can keep it going vs. the better teams.

Imagine if Diaz got his head out of his ass?  Then I'd actually be confident. 

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I cautiously optimistic it's not a tease.  As I said, it's all coming together.  When they were in the downward spiral, I was the one that kept saying this team is better than this.

The biggest reason I'm optimistic is because Rosario/McNeil/Davis sprinkled with some others here and there have really been carrying the bats since the break.  Now it's those 3 with the 2 most explosive bats on the team getting hot...it's a tough line up to get through right now even with a couple of easy outs a night.  Throw in Stroman, the Mets have a great rotation.  It's a good recipe if they can keep it going vs. the better teams.

Imagine if Diaz got his head out of his ass?  Then I'd actually be confident. 

For now, i think even Callway has recognized that Lugo is the closer.  But yeah, if Diaz returned to form (or I'd even take Familia finding his nasty slider again) we could do this.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So is Mickey Callaway good now or just "meh"?  Honest question.

Depends how he handles the 9th inning. If he trots Diaz out there with a one run lead this weekend against the Nats, “Meh” doesn’t come close to describing what he is.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

Let’s hope I wasn’t being prophetic with that post back in March ?‍♂️

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Depends how he handles the 9th inning. If he trots Diaz out there with a one run lead this weekend against the Nats, “Meh” doesn’t come close to describing what he is.

Rendon and company are way too patient hitters to chase his junk off the plate. He better come right after them and take his chances rather than walking two and having to put one over the plate with two on. 

OK, now comes the hard part. Going to face real pitchers rather than the AAA guys they have mostly been going against since the AS break. 

Won't work unless Alonso, Conforto and McNeil rake, Stroman needs be in top form, the main starting pitching to stay healthy and Diaz needs to get his mechanics back (yeah, I know ... That's All?)

The best part about all of this is that there are meaningful games now. Let's see if there still are at the end of the month.

An aside: Syracuse got no hit last night. Anyone else following them? Remember Ruben Tejeda? He's not on the 40 man roster but the Mets have him down there (bats third mostly) and he's got a .904 OPS playing all three infield positions. Would like to see him up here if Hechavarria or Guillorme fall off

41 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

OK, now comes the hard part. Going to face real pitchers rather than the AAA guys they have mostly been going against since the AS break. 

Won't work unless Alonso, Conforto and McNeil rake, Stroman needs be in top form, the main starting pitching to stay healthy and Diaz needs to get his mechanics back (yeah, I know ... That's All?)

The best part about all of this is that there are meaningful games now. Let's see if there still are at the end of the month.

Agreed.  Last 3 weeks got them back into the race, Next 3 weeks determines if they stay there.  Nats, Braves, KC, Indians, Braves again and Cubs.  That is one rough stretch.  Time to answer the pretender vs contender question.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Last 3 weeks got them back into the race, Next 3 weeks determines if they stay there.  Nats, Braves, KC, Indians, Braves again and Cubs.  That is one rough stretch.  Time to answer the pretender vs contender question.

Fortunately we will NOT have to face Sherzer who was placed back on the IL. If Stroman can get the win tomorrow over Strasburg and Thor vs. Corbin Saturday, we close it out with deGrom vs. TBD. Met Life should be rocking this weekend series!!

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fortunately we will NOT have to face Sherzer who was placed back on the IL. If Stroman can get the win tomorrow over Strasburg and Thor vs. Corbin Saturday, we close it out with deGrom vs. TBD. Met Life should be rocking this weekend series!!

Will be there Sunday. 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, hearlng that Panik will be aboard starting tonight. No brainer move and hopefully he can kick start some offense at the bottom of the order

He's been on a steady decline but hopefully a change of scenery will do him some good. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He's been on a steady decline but hopefully a change of scenery will do him some good. 

He's a NY guy, so hopefully  this brings a bit of life to him. 

His defense has always been very good, and right now Guillorme, Hecheverria and Lagares are all automatic outs. This allows them to not play one of those guys.

Losing Smith has really hurt. Supposedly, Nimmo is supposed to start rehab assignment, but it will be a long while for him.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wow.  What an awesome win!!!  Best win since 2015.  Something is going on with this team and it is pretty special right now.

Davis, Alonzo and Conforto do it again.  And Frazier too.

Pending the outcome of the Brewers game tonight, we could be in a Wild Card spot at the end of tonight's action.

Just checked out that bottom of the 9th heroics. Great comeback win. Hope you guys keep it up.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Brewers game is still on (tied 2-2) but for the moment, take a look at this beautiful piece of art:

image.png

Phil’s and Milwaukee pull out the win unfortunately. However last nights win with this group of young players was very satisfying. 
Soto and Rendon are studs. Turner is what I hoped Rosario would be, a terror on the base paths. 

That being said Alonso, Conforto, Rosario, McNeil and Davis are a very solid young core if they can continue to develop. Hoping the Wilpons can keep the pitching staff together. 

#LFGM!
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:
Phil’s and Milwaukee pull out the win unfortunately. However last nights win with this group of young players was very satisfying. 
Soto and Rendon are studs. Turner is what I hoped Rosario would be, a terror on the base paths. 

That being said Alonso, Conforto, Rosario, McNeil and Davis are a very solid young core if they can continue to develop. Hoping the Wilpons can keep the pitching staff together. 

#LFGM!

Imagine what the Mets could be if they signed Rendon over the winter as a FA (I know, but let's dream). Bring back Wheeler.

1. McNeil LF

2. Rosario SS

3. Rendon 3B

4. Alonso 1b

5 Conforto CF

6. Davis RF

7. Cano 2b

8. Ramos C

1. deGrom

2. Wheeler

3. Syndergaard

4. Strohman

5. Matz

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Imagine what the Mets could be if they signed Rendon over the winter as a FA (I know, but let's dream). Bring back Wheeler.

1. McNeil LF

2. Rosario SS

3. Rendon 3B

4. Alonso 1b

5 Conforto CF

6. Davis RF

7. Cano 2b

8. Ramos C

1. deGrom

2. Wheeler

3. Syndergaard

4. Strohman

5. Matz

If they signed Rendon in FA no way they take on Cano salary with Diaz. Hoping Diaz turns it around... we will need a stud closer if we are to make the playoffs. 

They’ll tender Wheeler which may get us another year. Thor contract comes up after 2021 correct?