2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

Boone worked out well with the Yanks.

Beltran played in NY for years.   He understands the city, understands the team.   He is well respected, rumors were the Yanks looked at him 2 years ago.   I really do think he could be an excellent hire for you guys.

I'm sorry, I don't love Girardi.  Dude gets tight in tight games.

after seeing his intro presser, I kinda like the Beltran move better. 

Only 142 days until opening day ! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Lots of rumors around that Wheeler going to Phillies. Saw one, think on MLB, 5 years, $100mm.

100 million dollars for a guy with 44 career wins, who has never thrown 200 innings in a season, never had an era of 3.2 or lower, and is 6 career games over 500.

Then, listen to the players complain that there is collusion, and they aren't getting paid enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

100 million dollars for a guy with 44 career wins, who has never thrown 200 innings in a season, never had an era of 3.2 or lower, and is 6 career games over 500.

Then, listen to the players complain that there is collusion, and they aren't getting paid enough.

Agreed. Imagine if he was a lefty??

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, chirorob said:

On 11/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, section314 said:

Agreed. Imagine if he was a lefty??

He'll sign for closer to $125m. Familia got 3 yr/$30m..... go figure!!

• Upvote 1

Here's an excerpt from MLB Trade Rumors:

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said at the beginning of October that the club’s not going to trade right-hander Noah Syndergaard this offseason. A month and a half later, Van Wagenen hasn’t changed his mind. Teams have called about Syndergaard, but Van Wagenen has rebuffed them, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports. The Mets, if they plan to contend in 2020, don’t seem to be in position to trade Syndergaard. After all, they’re already likely to lose one of their best starters in Zack Wheeler. And Syndergaard’s projected to make an affordable salary ($9.9MM) next year, which is crucial for a New York team that appears to lack financial flexibility.

What I get out of this is "appears to lack financial flexibility". I usually don't let sports get to me but this makes my blood boil. In the biggest sports market in the history of the known world, the Mets act like a small market team. There really should be some sort of law. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, chirorob said:

He’s still young without a ton of mileage

Coupons gonna coupon

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

5 years, 118  from the phillies

Not so sure this was the best place for Wheeler to go to. He does have a propensity to give up the long ball in bunches and CBP is the bandiest band box in the NL.

Of course in reality, now we'll see him 4 times a year and he'll own the Mets like a modern day Larry Jackson

• Upvote 1

Just can’t see the Mets doing anything positive this year, we got no money to spend and a GM that’s gonna try and wheel and deal but has been bent over on his biggest move and had almost no success on the rest. Not an optimistic off season to say the least 

Hopefully the guys that are here improve just enough to keep us in the hunt 

Just can’t see the Mets doing anything positive this year, we got no money to spend and a GM that’s gonna try and wheel and deal but has been bent over on his biggest move and had almost no success on the rest. Not an optimistic off season to say the least 

While true...we do have the Cohen sale on the horizon. I can get through 1 more Wilpon penny pinching off-season with the potential for better days to come. At least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel

1 minute ago, RVAJet815 said:

While true...we do have the Cohen sale on the horizon. I can get through 1 more Wilpon penny pinching off-season with the potential for better days to come. At least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel

I get it and In typical Mets fan fashion I’ll be pumped for the season based on the ending of last year, BUT if BVW would’ve done absolutely nothing last off-season we would’ve been Far better off then we were, take that into account and add we have no money to spend and the fact the BVW isn’t gonna just sit in his hands and in a lol concerned to say the least 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Aren't we stuck with Jeffie for another 5 years? 

Betcha it's a complete rebuild by then. 

Aren't we stuck with Jeffie for another 5 years? 

Betcha it's a complete rebuild by then. 

He’s a ceremonial partner for 5 years. Cohen will have 51% from the moment he’s approved per the article in Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/12/04/why-steve-cohen-not-wilpons-will-likely-run-the-new-york-mets-immediately/#48b34d9c416e

12 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

So no one is excited by the big Jake Marisnick trade? Just what the Mets needed, a .230 hitter. Well at least he hits righty. May as well have kept Lagares?

Rumors still abound about acquiring Marte on a trade. Worried about what Brodie would give up though 

Brodie scares the sh*t out of me, and I’m not one of these doom and gloom fans. But him a Jeff together are a terrible combination. 
Team doesn’t want to spend money but acquire an over the hill overpaid ex yankee all while giving up the 6th player in the draft at a position we are in desperate need of 

McCagnen esk 

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

If they can get Marte for Nimmo and Stroman, and keep Dom Smith, sign me up.

Reportedly, this deal puts the Mets over the luxury cap (I can't believe that). It would seem they will dump a salary here somewhere, and probably pay (in prospects) to do it. Marte would just add to that salary total. 

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

If they can get Marte for Nimmo and Stroman, and keep Dom Smith, sign me up.

Don’t wanna get rid of stroman at all if we are intent on competing and if I’m getting rid of nimmo or Smith. It’s Smith just because he has no place in this team. 
I am no nimmo fan and was really hoping it was him on the camp deal over the rumblings of Klenic or McNeil but he fits better than Dom on this team 

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can like Porcello as a 5, not so much as a 4.

If BVW trades a contract to reduce salary and includes a prospect, things may get ugly

We needed depth in the rotation. Two decent pickups I think.

Wacha could also become a swing guy... I see him in the bullpen, maybe getting a few starts also.

If nothing else, these moves insure Lugo and Gsellman stay in the pen, and Porcello, while not great, is durable. At least there’s that, lol.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wondering if Pirates might want Stroman in any Marte deal? Why sign both Wacha and Porcello?

Didn’t Brodie say this week Strohman is the Wheeler replacement?

Id be surprised to see him go in any deal. Cohen can’t get here fast enough. The Yankees get Cole, we lose Wheeler and get Wacha and Porcello. Ugh.

Maybe Syndergaard is in play here for Marte or Correa, both of whom are mentioned as in discussions. I would assume that they would  lose Rosario in a Correa deal. Just talk though. 

One trade I'd like to see is to dump certain underperforming players for some hot prospects. I like some of the kids the Mariners have like Kelinic and Dunn. Maybe they'd take Cano and Diaz?

• Haha 1

Want some depressing news?

Ken Rosenthal is saying these moves are a precursor to the Mets dealing a starter...

Thor and a bad contract to Houston, perhaps? They just lost Cole, we’re over the cap now. I can see this happening, because Brodie/Fred..

Somebody please tell me I’m way off base... this would be nightmarish.

Unless it’s the Red Sox and Mookie is involved, then I take back everything I’ve said, lol.

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Didn’t Brodie say this week Strohman is the Wheeler replacement?

Id be surprised to see him go in any deal. Cohen can’t get here fast enough. The Yankees get Cole, we lose Wheeler and get Wacha and Porcello. Ugh.

Brodie seems to be a guy that talks out of all 8 sides of his mouth.? Heard last week after the Cohen news broke that Omar and Cohen have a pretty solid relationship, and that Cohen has reached out to Bobby V. in some capacity. Point being, Brodie may be on a rather short leash.

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We needed depth in the rotation. Two decent pickups I think.

Wacha could also become a swing guy... I see him in the bullpen, maybe getting a few starts also.

If nothing else, these moves insure Lugo and Gsellman stay in the pen, and Porcello, while not great, is durable. At least there’s that, lol.

Mets need to clear 2 spots on the 40 man roster.

This would be very unMetsy to add depth like this. If this is the way it stays, I would be fine. But, with them reportedly over the luxury tax, it does not feel that way

6 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Maybe Syndergaard is in play here for Marte or Correa, both of whom are mentioned as in discussions. I would assume that they would  lose Rosario in a Correa deal. Just talk though. 

One trade I'd like to see is to dump certain underperforming players for some hot prospects. I like some of the kids the Mariners have like Kelinic and Dunn. Maybe they'd take Cano and Diaz?

We’d have to pay Cano’s salary, so no. Besides, who’s ever going to make that deal? ?