2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Brodie seems to be a guy that talks out of all 8 sides of his mouth.? Heard last week after the Cohen news broke that Omar and Cohen have a pretty solid relationship, and that Cohen has reached out to Bobby V. in some capacity. Point being, Brodie may be on a rather short leash.

I can imagine, based on what I read, Cohen wants the very best. Unless Brodie has a big year this year, I can see him going soon.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Want some depressing news?

Ken Rosenthal is saying these moves are a precursor to the Mets dealing a starter...

Thor and a bad contract to Houston, perhaps? They just lost Cole, we’re over the cap now. I can see this happening, because Brodie.

Somebody please tell me I’m way off base... this would be nightmarish.

The young kid who just won ROY? Isn't he an outfielder? Could do worse.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Brodie seems to be a guy that talks out of all 8 sides of his mouth.? Heard last week after the Cohen news broke that Omar and Cohen have a pretty solid relationship, and that Cohen has reached out to Bobby V. in some capacity. Point being, Brodie may be on a rather short leash.

Yeah I saw that also. The Omar part scares me though...

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The young kid who just won ROY? Isn't he an outfielder? Could do worse.

If we had kept Wheeler, yeah I’d be okay with it. Not now though.

Strohman Matz Porcello and Wacha is scary, especially when you consider we only score about 40 runs each year for Jake.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

The other thing that nobody is talking about, and probably for good for all of our sanity, is Cespedes. If he's healthy, huge if, I know, everything changes.

I saw something yesterday that said he’s hitting, and wait for it....

running!!!

So much for our sanity, lol.

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

W e’d have to pay Cano’s salary, so no. Besides, who’s ever going to make that deal? ?

Ha! , was just being facetious.

I wonder how much long-term damage that trade will prove to be

meanwhile, some other interesting rumors,

Mets inquired about Hader (would cost way too much and besides the Yankees and Dodgers are also interested so no way the Mets compete without major damage to the roster)  

Rangers and Mets discussing a deal with Dom and Lowrie. I forgot all about the latter, easy enough to do after last year

Mets shopping Familia (sell low, buy high)

all this trade stuff is fun to talk about but let's face it, the Mets just don't have many bullets in the gun

What really needs to happen is Diaz and Familia returning to form, Conforto stepping up one more level, Rosario continuing his second half and one of Porcello/Wacha returning to form. I also would not complain if Syndergaard went for some big player. Kinda had enough of the act and he is just not the star people think he is. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Mets inquired about Hader (would cost way too much and besides the Yankees and Dodgers are also interested so no way the Mets compete without major damage to the roster)  

Rangers and Mets discussing a deal with Dom and Lowrie. I forgot all about the latter, easy enough to do after last year

all this trade stuff is fun to talk about but let's face it, the Mets just don't have many bullets in the gun

What really needs to happen is Diaz and Familia returning to form, Conforto stepping up one more level, Rosario continuing his second half and one of Porcello/Wacha returning to form. I also would not complain if Syndergaard went for some big player. Kinda had enough of the act and he is just not the star people think he is. 

I knew you were joking, So was I.

Im not sure how I feel about getting Hader, you’re right, he wouldn’t come cheap. Familia I go either way on also. We need him and Diaz to be good, no doubt, but if we can get rid of his and Lowrie’s salaries, trade Dom or Nimmo (not my first choice either) we have an opportunity to maybe get back a young Catcher and some bullpen help?

CF isn’t a position I’d be looking to do much with. In my dream world, Cohen becomes a thing very soon and looks to make a signature move signing Betts to a monster deal in ‘21.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I knew you were joking, So was I.

Im not sure how I feel about getting Hader, you’re right, he wouldn’t come cheap. Familia I go either way on also. We need him and Diaz to be good, no doubt, but if we can get rid of his and Lowrie’s salaries, trade Dom or Nimmo (not my first choice either) we have an opportunity to maybe get back a young Catcher and some bullpen help?

CF isn’t a position I’d be looking to do much with. In my dream world, Cohen becomes a thing very soon and looks to make a signature move signing Betts to a monster deal in ‘21.

Had WFAN on earlier. Said Yankees also may be in Hader mix. They do have some prospects, but why do they need him?

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Noah is the hardest player for me, in one instances I feel he is very overrated and then in the next breathe I feel Mets fans don’t know what we have in him as a #2

• Upvote 1

Trivia Time:

Francisco Estrada passed away last week. He played 31 years in pro ball, mostly in the Mexican League but he was a Mets property for one year. His entire MLB career consisted of 4 innings off the bench in a September game. Went 1 for 2 so his lifetime average was .500. 

He did have a significant role in Mets trivia, however. What was it?

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Trivia Time:

Francisco Estrada passed away last week. He played 31 years in pro ball, mostly in the Mexican League but he was a Mets property for one year. His entire MLB career consisted of 4 innings off the bench in a September game. Went 1 for 2 so his lifetime average was .500. 

He did have a significant role in Mets trivia, however. What was it?

Can we get a clue? I recognize the name, what year did he play for the Mets?

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Nolan Ryan trade?

That's the answer 

Ryan, Leroy Stanton (top hitting prospect back then), Estrada and AAA pitcher Don Rose for Fregosi. It's been 48 years and I'm still scratching my head over that one.

BTW: Good trivia work by Mssrs. Lith and Dierking. Maybe we should have a baseball trivia thread here?

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

That's the answer 

Ryan, Leroy Stanton (top hitting prospect back then), Estrada and AAA pitcher Don Rose for Fregosi. It's been 48 years and I'm still scratching my head over that one.

BTW: Good trivia work by Mssrs. Lith and Dierking. Maybe we should have a baseball trivia thread here?

That would be fun. I’m in.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

That's the answer 

This trade was really a knee jerk reaction by the organization trying to fill in a hole that was 3rd base. The Mets had NEVER had a 3b in their history, and Fregosi had been name to probably 5 or 6 all star teams in the AL before coming over to the Mets.  He never did anything in a couple of seasons with the Mets.

3B was still a hole for the organization until really, Hubie Brooks, and then David Wright. The dearth of position players that this organization has produced, with some notable exceptions, is amazing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This trade was really a knee jerk reaction by the organization trying to fill in a hole that was 3rd base. The Mets had NEVER had a 3b in their history, and Fregosi had been name to probably 5 or 6 all star teams in the AL before coming over to the Mets.  He never did anything in a couple of seasons with the Mets.

3B was still a hole for the organization until really, Hubie Brooks, and then David Wright. The dearth of position players that this organization has produced, with some notable exceptions, is amazing.

Don't forget HoJo had some good seasons too.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Adding insult to injury, a year or two before the Fregosi - Ryan trade, they acquired Joe Foy from the Royals to play 3rd base.  He lasted one season.  To acquire him we sent Amos Otis to the Royals.  Who only went on to be a 5 time All Star in KC.  

Just imagine that 1973 team that was one game away from winning the Series with Otis in Center Field instead of Don Hahn and 42 year old Willie Mays.  And Ryan in a rotation with Seaver, Koosman and Matlack.  Might have been enough to take one extra game from the A's that season.

9 hours ago, Lith said:

Adding insult to injury, a year or two before the Fregosi - Ryan trade, they acquired Joe Foy from the Royals to play 3rd base.  He lasted one season.  To acquire him we sent Amos Otis to the Royals.  Who only went on to be a 5 time All Star in KC.  

Just imagine that 1973 team that was one game away from winning the Series with Otis in Center Field instead of Don Hahn and 42 year old Willie Mays.  And Ryan in a rotation with Seaver, Koosman and Matlack.  Might have been enough to take one extra game from the A's that season.

Or, if they started Seaver in Game 7 on normal rest, rather than game 6 on short rest. Let's just say Yogi was not an analytics guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

If Both Diaz and Familia can have their league "average" years, along with Betances, then they have something.

You think Lugo will open as the closer?  I could see something like Diaz(7th) Betances(8th) Lugo (9th), but a heavy dose of Wilson sprinkled in as situation dictates. Personally, I hope Familia never sets foot on the field as a Met again.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

You think Lugo will open as the closer?  I could see something like Diaz(7th) Betances(8th) Lugo (9th), but a heavy dose of Wilson sprinkled in as situation dictates. Personally, I hope Familia never sets foot on the field as a Met again.

My guess is that BVW will dictate a closer by committee situation to Beltran based on match-ups and analytics.

And I fear  that to a degree.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, section314 said:

If Porcello and Wacha fail to deliver I’d put Lugo in 5th starter role. He wants to start.... if the pen shows promise I could see Lugo getting 8-10 wins as the number 5

• Upvote 2